Anonymous MLB player insults Nats fans

(Cheryl Nichols - Nats News Network)

Monday night, as you've probably heard, was the smallest home crowd in Washington Nationals history. There were 11,623 folks at Nats Park -- still larger than the Orioles' Camden Yards-low, set earlier this year, but there's no arguing that's a small crowd.

As much as I've been a Nats cynic about some things, though, I still have no doubt that the place will be a loud and raucous zoo in the relatively near future. It's too easy to remember what Verizon Center was like in the fall of 2007, and the sort of jokes that national media members made about D.C. hockey fans back then.

But for now, the punchers have a punching bag, and an anonymous MLB player took a whack in ESPN.com's Player X blog. Via @Kevin_Reiss, the player identified MLB's worst fan bases as the White Sox and the Nats, writing this about the latter:

Worst. Rain. Delays. Ever. Honestly, it's empty there anyway, but if you get a game in bad weather, the clubhouse attendants start to hide the sharp objects. The park is nice, but always sparsely attended, so if it's nasty out? Good luck. It's like you're playing in front of the opposing team's moms and girlfriends and that's it. And if the game's delayed, even they leave. The worst of it is, the Nats have a lot going for them. Zimmerman, Guzman and the inevitable arrival of Strasburg should have people fired up. Maybe by July this year, it'll be a better scene.

Wait, Guzman? In the category of "a lot going for them?" So maybe this anonymous player's word isn't gospel. Also, three of Monday's eight MLB games set new attendance lows, so maybe everyone was home to watch the NHL playoffs.

In other Nats news, the supposedly funny image on tickets from the weekend turns out not to be so funny when seen in full.

(Thanks to Cheryl Nichols of Nationals News Network for the photo.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 20, 2010; 2:39 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Canadiens' Website advises Canadiens lose game 4
Next: Caps TV ratings pull well ahead of Wizards

Comments

caps score fail...

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | April 20, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, at least we don't puke on each other.

Posted by: EricS2 | April 20, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

dcsportsfan1 beats me to it!

Reporting Final Score of Local Hockey Team's Playoff Game Accurately FAIL.

Posted by: elpando | April 20, 2010 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Wonkette is after Stan too?

Posted by: periculum | April 20, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Anonymous? They should be a man and identify themselves. Further, Dan could you look up (actually I will and I will email it to you) the attendance that teams got following years in which they lost 100 games. Finally everyone acts like this is a DC thing. Florida, Pitt, Baltimore , etc etc. The people who love to go to the attendance over and over while ignoring it in other cities can go to the Joey Eischen quote.

Posted by: JDB1 | April 20, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Who cares about those comments. There isn't a diehard fanbase yet which is true. It will come when the team is playoff bound. The stadium is great. Traffic isn't bad. StanK sucks. Other than that, what's better than winning baseball!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: dmacman88 | April 20, 2010 3:32 PM | Report abuse

2 funny comments about the season ticket artist rendition (obviously not funny to the Lannan or Mock families):

SteveJeltzFan 11:16 AM
This is an obvious fabrication. No one owns a John Lannan jersey. Reply

StuckBetweenStations 11:33 AM
@SteveJeltzFan: Modell's was all out of the Garrett Mock.

Posted by: dmacman88 | April 20, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Christian Guzman? I went to a game the first year the new stadium on Memorial Day and saw that Guzman was batting 3rd. I realized that day that I would not be going back to the Nats park until they put a competitive team on the field. It looks like they are getting close with them starting the year off nicely, but seriously? Christian Guzman as your #3 hitter?

Posted by: jazapfsp | April 20, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Steinberg

2002 coming off 90 some odd loses (like the NATS 2 years ago), the Tigers drew 1,503,623. In 2003 coming of 106 losses the Tigers drew 1,368,245 and in 04 when the started to show signs of improvement they drew 1,917,004.

The NATS coming off 100 loses drew 1,817,202.

People need to shut up about the attendance.

Posted by: JDB1 | April 20, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Last night was Monday, and I don't knwo about you, but usually I'm looking to chill out on Monday night and not go to the ballpark. Plus, it was a little chilly, not ideal ballpark weather. And the Rockies are in town; not exactly a "must see" team. And it's Game 3 of Caps-Habs, essentially a must win for the Caps. So, yeah, you'd better believe I was at home watching Boyd Gordon.

Then again, it not like the Nats ownership and president have really shown much concern about getting fans like me to come to the ballpark and build loyalty to the team. Why should I give them my money when they've said they don't care about local fans? If you're not a fan of the opposing team, or willing to spend major bucks on the high-end season tickets, the Nats just don't care. That's why attendance is a chronic problem.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 20, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Rest assured, the fairweather fans will be out in full force once the team is in a playoff race. Book it.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 20, 2010 7:53 PM | Report abuse

I hardly consider myself a fair-weather fan, I probably make 10 games a season since 05, not bad considering I has no job for 2 of those seasons.

But I cannot blame the rest of DC for not caring, the team plays poorly on the field, even at .500 now, we keep letting the losses look ugly. The marketing is piss poor, I would love someone to do a story on the marketing problems the nats have.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 21, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

One thing we do know about the identity of Player X: he's an idiot.

Posted by: MyPostIDisAfake | April 21, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

Guz is hitting .362. He's currently one of the good things the Nats have going for them.

Kilgore says he's hot:

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 21, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

yeah. maybe if they got the caps score right i'd watch the caps game from nats park.

caps playoffs > nats regular season. still like the nats tho.

d to the c

Posted by: CF11555 | April 21, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

You couldn't pay me to sit through 9 innings of baseball. To me it's neck-and-neck with the NBA for dullest sports experience imaginable. I'm stunned they got 11,000 people on a Monday night.

Posted by: caps1974 | April 21, 2010 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Re: Guzman hitting .362- Small Sample Size. That will come down. Plus, On Base % is more important than batting average (since a walk is as good as a single). Guzman's career OBP is not good. His numbers are going to come down. Same as Pudge- yes, he's hitting .450(ish) right now. That number will come down as he gets a larger sample size to balance out his hot start. Difference is that Pudge can draw a walk and maintain a decent OBP during a slump, as well as provide some power. Guzman does not have those skills.

Posted by: cheeseburger53 | April 21, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse