Antawn Jamison praises LeBron James

Antawn Jamison praising LeBron James during a Colin Cowherd interview might be the perfect culmination of agony for a Washington sports fan. I'm trying to think of something analogous. Maybe Sidney Crosby interviewing Daniel Snyder about how much he admires Jerry Jones? I'm not even sure if that would rate.

This isn't picking at a scab, this is ripping a scab off with fiery pincers laced with various communicable diseases, dousing the scab with hot sauce and shoving it down your throat, along with a bunch of other crusty scabs found in the sweaty fur suit of G-Wiz. So feel free to turn away. But if you're really a masochistic type....

"Of course seeing him from afar, going up against him, you know the talent that he has," Jamison said. "But the thing that really surprised me is the amount of work. He has a great work ethic. This guy has a motor that I've never seen before, and I've been with guys like Gilbert Arenas, Dirk Nowitzki, Steve Nash and so forth. This guy brings it night in and night out: film session, shootaround. I mean, a very high basketball IQ.

"Every aspect about the game, the guy's unbelievable at, and that's one of the things that really stood out from day one that I didn't know of and kind of surprised me a little bit," Jamison continued. "I knew he worked, but his work ethic and being able to communicate with the players and the coaches....Just pretty much every aspect about the game of basketball he brings to the table, and he does a great job with it as well."

Seriously, you had to go ahead and explicitly compare LeBron to Gilbert, didn't you? Because Wizards fans haven't been through enough? Say, speaking of which, any more words to cause pain and suffering?

"The expectations here, it's not about going deep into the playoffs," Jamison said of life in Cleveland. "It's not about winning the Eastern Conference finals, it's not about just making it the playoffs; it's about winning a championship here. This is pretty much what I've been waiting for my whole career. It's great pressure, it's great pressure to be around. It's the type of pressure that as a player you dream about having. And for me to be where I've been in the past and now be in this situation is definitely a blessing and a great opportunity of a lifetime. And you just hope you can take advantage of that and everything comes out the way you plan it to come out."

I trust you join me in wishing Jamison all the best in his personal and professional career, except for on this particular wish. Dallas? Sure, they can win with Wizards players. But Cleveland? Nope, that still doesn't feel quite right. More praise of LeBron. Cover your eyes.

"You can't stop a guy like LeBron," Jamison said. "Once you see the amount of work he puts in, film work, the communication between him and the coaching staff.....He knows that he has this city, this fan base, this organization, the whole media world just paying attention to his every move. I'm 33 years old, and I don't think I could deal with it, and for him to be able to deal with that since day one of being in the league, you have to commend him for handling it the right way and being able to accept it and not only that but going out there and producing night in and night out."

Seriously, find me some more Cerrato audio, because I can't take any more of this.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 22, 2010; 11:14 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Carey Price loses his cool
Next: When Bruce Boudreau worked for Jean Perron

Comments

Honestly it doesn't even bother me. Jamison never held himself accountable for his atrocious defense or lack of leadership, instead choosing to point the finger at everyone else. So he has joined the millions of other people slurping at the LeBron James altar. Big deal. He, like everyone else in Cleveland, will be singing a different tune next year when His Highness bolts.

Posted by: bryc3 | April 22, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

I just threw up in my mouth a little bit.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | April 22, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

Outstanding! Go Cavs!

Posted by: popopo | April 22, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, I never got the whole Cavs/Wiz rivalry. It wasn't Gil and LeBron going head to head in epic battles, it was that doofus Stevenson spouting off against a guy who is clearly more talented. I'll grant you that LeBron has a nasty habit of taking the bait, but still, a few years of us getting our butts handed to us is hardly a rivalry.

Jamison was good to us night in and night out and didn't complain about the insanity swirling around him. I, for one, wish him success.

Posted by: dwelkinor | April 22, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

I thought it would be Stevenson or Arenas. Jamisons' his teammate. Come on, man!

Posted by: richs91 | April 22, 2010 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Jamison and the rest of the traded brew from the Wizards are followers and hopefully there will be no rings for any of them. Those guys lacked the killer instinct and may they fade into retirement without the bling-bling. Only in America can a basketball player make millions and be a slacker....Shaq is also in that group!!! Ride Labron's coattails as long as possible this season because he will probably leave for more exposure...money...excitement...trouble!!!

Posted by: gman54 | April 22, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Like we didn't know this already. Jamison did not tell us anything new or enlightening. Anyone with "half a brain" already knows these things about James. Once again it was the old kiss up matador defense Jamison spewing his cliche ridden gibberish.

Posted by: Theone9 | April 22, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

Cavs can keep him !!!

Posted by: OG_Barno | April 22, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

That's the best line I've read all week, Steinz. Well done.

Posted by: MichaelJenkins | April 22, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

1) Jamison is now the teammate of the best player in the league. Do you expect him to stay silent out of respect for....Andray Blatche? DeShawn Stevenson?
2) Dan, it's DC. When the Skins suck, deep psychic pain ensues. When the Wiz blow, deep apathy sets in.
3) Speaking of Skins, this story today, on the day of the draft, is like a feature on what KJ Choi had for breakfast on the first day of the Masters.

Posted by: jmink4a5 | April 22, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Just twisting the knife in the heart.

But the funniest thing I saw today while watching the Cavs/Bulls was when Antawn Jamison complained about a traveling call that was called against the CLEVELAND CAVALIERS. That was my official "He's really a Cav, so now I hate him" moment.

Posted by: SkinsWizStangs | April 22, 2010 10:55 PM | Report abuse