Backstrom's game-winner: Kolbe's call

(Photos by Toni L. Sandys - TWP and Nick Wass - AP)

Steve Kolbe got a bit excited when Nicklas Backstrom scored in the first minute of overtime Saturday night. A reader asked me to find the audio. Since I'm nothing if not a public servant, here it is. Many thanks to Ben Raby and the Caps radio network for the audio.

In case you're curious, the highlight comes about halfway through, when Kolbe lets rip with this one:

The HATS rain down, as NICKlas BACKstrom is the MAD HATTER.

Yeah, the playoffs are an ok time of year.

(As for the hats, the Caps said before last year, it had been 13 years since the NHL saw two hat tricks in a single playoff game. It's now happened twice at Verizon Center in less than year.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 18, 2010; 9:25 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin and Backstrom play basketball
Next: Mike Shanahan lays down the law

Comments

it just doesn't get any better than the 'ice-man'

Posted by: ovyscaps | April 18, 2010 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Serious question: what do they do with the hats? Is there a big Lost And Found pile of them where you can retrieve yours later, or do you just lose it?

Posted by: VercengetorixII | April 18, 2010 11:23 AM | Report abuse

God, I love Kolbe. Thank you for posting this!

Posted by: EddieP1 | April 18, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

If you wait in the main concourse the bring out the bin with all the hats in it, I bet a lot of them look the same, most people don't wait around to get it so I think they give the rest to goodwill or something.

Posted by: tigger_caps_fan | April 18, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I go back to the days when Ron Webber did PBP for the Caps. Back then I thought I'd never be able to get in to Kolbe's calls. Now I don't know what I'd do if I couldn't hear them. The passion Kolbe brings to each broadcast and every big goal like this one is great.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | April 18, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I'd say that once you toss your hat on the ice to honor a hat trick, then you go on a desperate search to get back the hat, you're kind of a loser.....

Posted by: randysbailin | April 18, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

They're going to build an exhibit of all of the hats at Kettler.

Posted by: Joran | April 18, 2010 12:11 PM | Report abuse

I really miss Weber, and it's a shame he's not around to be the guy to call this terrific period in Caps history.

Kolbe's style is better suited to TV -- you can make up with your own eyes the difference for what you're missing in his PBP. His calls feature too much bombast, painfully slow pronunciations of multi-syllabic names (e.g. kee-mo-tee-mon-nen), and not enough detail for a radio PBP.

Listen to the call... he's doo-fussing about the Caps losing 6 straight OT at home... and then Backstrom's shot almost catches him by surprise.

You'd never know there was a turnover, breakout to a 2-on-2 rush and two gorgeous passes leading to the second straight, long distance, glove-side victimization of Halak.

Really -- for the standard of excellence Ted sets, it's difficult for me to comprehend the organization's acceptance of Kolbe's brand of radio PBP. And it's not saying much to assert that even Koken would be an improvement.

Posted by: chambers14 | April 18, 2010 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I'd like to go ahead and officially apologize to all of the people who told me to watch hockey years ago. That was AWESOME!

Posted by: law3 | April 18, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Chambers14, you spelled out my exact sentiments. He's always missing the action because he's nattering and then is 5 seconds late when something happens. And as for the names, Ooo-laf Kolll-zig used to drive me nuts.

Posted by: capsfan77 | April 18, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Kolbe is just awful. If you listen to his calls this Red Wings fan who grew up in Bhawlmuher does everything the exact same way.

I agree with chambers14. With the top-notch standards that Leonsis has set it is a crime that he let's this hack stick around.

Call the Caps offices and get put on hold, you'll want to hang up.

Posted by: CapsNut | April 18, 2010 7:20 PM | Report abuse

14,77 and nut ...you guys need to get a life and stop complaining.

Try to be happy! You can do it. On scond thoughts maybe you can't.

Maybe your happy finding fault...if so look in the mirror.

Posted by: sutherlandsales | April 18, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

I too am not a big fan of Kolbe. He doesn't have a radio quality voice. His doesn't bring excitement and tension into the game. He doesn't make the game interesting. Screaming loudly over a goal is not the sole purpose of a hockey play by play man.

To think that Ron Webber was forced to retire to bring on Steve Kolbe is a travesty. It is worse travesty than the Frank Herzog - Larry Michael debacle.

I couldn't not even bring myself to listen to the clip.

Posted by: niceshoes1 | April 19, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

My co-worker (a Blackhawks fan) listened to this and said, "It sounds like he is describing D-Day."

He was.

Posted by: nkeitt | April 19, 2010 10:43 AM | Report abuse

His voice is horrible and he can't keep up with the play.

Can't tell you how many times he'd be describing a Caps save in one breath and then a Caps goal in the next---

with absolutley no explanation for how the Caps got the puck out of their own end.

I have not heard one positive thing about him until I read these comments.

I think that the comments were planted by WTOP and the Caps.

Posted by: CF11555 | April 19, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

In the first photo, are those Gatorade caps on the ice?

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | April 19, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

One of the guys sweeping up the hats near the Montreal bench wiped out and landed on his arse. I didn't have my camera with me and so don't have a picture to offer, but if you can find one it might make a funny addition to this.

Posted by: 1995hoo | April 19, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Kolbe is not as smooth as Joe B or many of the other folks we here, but I find the homer-ness to be lovable, especially hearing the same "AAAAAAlex oVECHkin" replays on WTOP the morning after. Does anybody have access to his calls in the Blackhawks game earlier this year? That was the one (hearing from the replays, since I watched on TV) that I thought smoke was about to come out of his ears...

Posted by: vtavgjoe | April 19, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse