Brian Baldinger really doesn't like McNabb

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Chatting at 11:30. Submit questions here.

Brian Baldinger's recent comments about Donovan McNabb to NFL.com -- saying McNabb is a flawed player, and that the Eagles will make the playoffs without him while the Redskins watch from the golf course -- got a fair bit of national attention. Turns out, though, that Baldinger had quite a bit more to say about McNabb.

Apparently he's been a long-time doubter. Not long after the trade, he went on the WIP show of Angelo Cataldi -- another long-time McNabb doubter -- and let 'er rip.

"Look, I think these flaws that he has are never gonna go away," Baldinger said. "They're two-fold. One, I don't believe he reads coverage well. And to read coverage well, that is to know where to go with the ball based on what the defense does, based on what play-call is.

"And then secondly, he's not a consistently accurate thrower. And I just think that in this league, against good -to-great defenses - and there's not that many of them -- but when you play Baltimore or you play Dallas or you play Pittsburgh, you better be sharp with the football. Now he does a good job of taking care of it, but sometimes I think it's because he doesn't really trust what he sees, and so he won't make the throw.

"Now, he's such a good athlete that he's one of the few guys in this league that can actually run around a little bit, buy a little time, get out of the pocket and then wait for the guy to uncover, to make sure he knows what he's looking at. But in this league, the defenses have just gotten so good and so complex, the ball has to be out fast, and you have to be able to throw the ball through the tire, like you did as a kid in the backyard. I mean, it has to sail right through there, and it can't be behind him or at his feet or above him. It has to be, in this offense, on the fingertips."

So how does Baldinger think McNabb improves the Redskins' chances this year? Will they now surpass the Eagles? I'll bet you could probably guess his thoughts.

"I don't think so," Baldinger said. "I don't think they're a playoff team. I mean, Jason Campbell, I don't care, you take any great quarterback -- Peyton, whoever you want to take -- there's no quarterback who would have played well on that team last year. That offensive line was awful.

"He's going to be handing off to...I've never seen three old running backs on a team before in this league. I mean, they're gonna hand it off to Clinton Portis, who hasn't had a good year in two years, Larry Johnson, who hasn't had a good year in two years on three different teams, or to Willie Parker, who hasn't played well since he got hurt against the Eagles two years ago. I mean, that's the backfield.

"Now, the offensive line was old to begin with, and then they lost Randy Thomas and they lost Samuels, and so they were broken there. The safeties are the worst tackling safeties in the league. I mean, there's a lot of things they have to fix there in Washington. The receivers that he's going to be throwing to are very young and very immature, and you can just ask Jason Campbell about that. So I think Mike Shanahan and Donovan have an awful lot to do, and I think just adding Donovan to the mix doesn't make that team that much better than what they were this year."

Gotcha. Not a huge optimist. But at least the Redskins have a franchise quarterback now, correct?

"Look, I think the guy has been a great pro," Baldinger said. "He's obviously a tough guy. He's played on a broken foot. He came back from [injuries]. The superlatives are all there. But when we're talking about franchise quarterbacks or potential Hall of Fame quarterbacks - because those are the two terms that always get mentioned with Donovan - we have to look at what you do in big games. That's the only way to measure it.

"You don't measure it by the supporting cast, you don't measure it by how good the defense is, you just measure it by what the guy does in big games. And in my viewpoint, he came up woefully short in a lot of big games....I know everybody wants to put the record up there, and how many wins and championship games he played in, and you can't take those things away from the guy. Those are all there. But I think you have to evaluate quarterbacks, and franchise quarterbacks, in a totally separate category. Whether it's fair or not fair, that's how I do it."

Cataldi was loving all this, and then he set up one more McNabb pinata for Baldinger when he asked why the quarterback maintains such a strong reputation.

"Well I mean, I think a lot of it is just fear," Baldinger said. "Just fear of knocking a guy in big games, because you know what, he's a big face of the National Football League. And you may not get on the inside of him, you may not be able to get the honest viewpoint from him. You know, Pam Oliver on the sideline at FOX one time reported what he said before a game, and then he basically said Pam Oliver was a liar. And Pam Oliver doesn't need to say any lies. She just basically reports what people tell her....

"And that relationship was broken that day because she basically said something that was true, that he said, and then it came back to haunt her. That's sort of what you're up against. If you say something negative about the organization, about Donovan, then you may never get access to that person or to the team again. And I think people feel that way about him, and that's one of the reasons why they continue to throw bouquets of roses at him."

So like I said, all in all he seems like a pretty big McNabb fan.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 13, 2010; 9:28 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Officers strike Maryland student after Duke game
Next: Jose Theodore on being a celeb in Montreal

Comments

LOLOL - i dunno if I'd talk about ANYONE if my name was.............Baldinger :-)

Posted by: wallacea | April 13, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

"Well I mean, I think a lot of it is just fear," Baldinger said. "Just fear of knocking a guy in big games, because you know what, he's a big face of the National Football League."

hmmm... sounds like Rush Limbaugh

Posted by: Terry_Allen | April 13, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Everything he said was 100% true. There is not one piece of what he said that was not accurate. I don't look at this as a bash job but more of an accurate assessment of McNabb. McNabb has never been loved as a player or by the media. There is a reason for that. I don't care if he is a good guy or not but how he described him as a player is accurate. I don't know what the Redskins expect him to do behind that Oline but it won't be pretty.

Posted by: srobert1117 | April 13, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Other than going to multiple Pro Bowls, playoffs, and a SB game, I guess JC is better than McNabb :)

It is amazing what idiots some sports "experts" are. You have to wonder "how did they get their job?"

Go Skins.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | April 13, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

hmmm... sounds like Rush Limbaugh

Posted by: Terry_Allen | April 13, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Man, I was going to say the EXACT same thing. Baldinger has absolutely no street cred. Who the hell is this guy anyway? He played, what? like 3 seasons as an undrafted OL? wow Fox way to hire this guy as an NFL analyst. Oh wait, he's just a color commentator, aka no credibility at all. buh bye baldy, I hate you.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 13, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

Well, maybe in 10 or 11 years Mcnabb will have built up a body of work we can use to judge the accuracy of Mr. Baldinger's opinion.

Oh... wait... nevermind.

Posted by: bigfoot1 | April 13, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

I guess Dan Marino and Jim Kelly weren't that good and shouldn't be in the hall of fame since they didn't win the big game. Does Baldinger even know what it's like to be in a big game? He played for the Cowboys when they sucked in the 80's, then traded to the Colts when they sucked in the 80's. He's an idiot!!

Posted by: Nemesis | April 13, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

Who is Brian Baldinger?

Posted by: bogardp | April 13, 2010 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Baldinghead is an idiot...

Why don't they lay the blame where it really belongs and that is at Andy Reid's feet...he's too pass happy disrepects the run game. I hope someone at Ashburn is keeping these type articles put them up in the locker room and the kick the crap out of Philly both times this year better yet as long as McNabb is here. Sure the Skins had issues Landry and Rogers biting on double moves and the O-line but even still they were never badly beaten and were in most of the games...I will say switch Shanahan for Zorn and McNabb for Campbell that only will change the outcome of a few games. There are plenty of O-lineman on the team already and young at that and now with a new regime of better coaches maybe you can get those guys trained up to play and not rely on vets who were constantly breaking down every year, draft an Okung and more lineman in the later rounds... I'm not predicting any superbowl but i'll bet this team will be nothing or look anything/play like the team of the last several years!

Posted by: papaskynz | April 13, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

So........ We're not going to the Super Bowl? I'm inconsolable...

Posted by: Scoonie97 | April 13, 2010 10:22 AM | Report abuse

Baldinger is correct although Cataldi is a twerp - (you Deadskin fans think Andy Polland and those idiots with him are bad you should hear Cataldi and Eskin). Donovan is very inaccurate - Theeeezzman (I love that) said that on his show (most inaccurate starting QB in the NFL) right after the Eagles beat Wash on MNF. By the way McNabb didn't get the Birds to all those NFC Championships - One time it was AJ Feeley and the other time it was Jeff Garcia. I really liked D Mac all those years however because he made some terrific plays and he seems like a nice guy. Of late though he's been all about whining and getting weapons to help him - can't get much better weapons than Westbrook and D Jackson. He's had plenty of weapons and a good D to boot thru the years. Another thing Deadskin fans he’s been hurt a lot the past 7 years. I wish him well although not against the Eagles. Oh and please don’t compare him with Elway. Elway was more of a leader and a better QB - period.!!!

Posted by: billm32 | April 13, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

This from one of the WORST color analysts in football. I'm not the biggest McNabb fan and I do agree with his assessment of the offensive line but to say McNabb does not read defenses well is hogwash. He may not read them like Brady and Manning do but who else does!?! McNabb is still a ton 10 QB in this league. If the O-line gets fixed I can see them having a respectable 8-8 season. Get lucky one or two games and you can even back into the playoffs at that point. A far cry from last year.

Posted by: crosscheck12 | April 13, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Let's see, big strong and athletic but not great accuracy. Has trouble reading defenses (must not be smart enough). Does that sound familiar to anyone? It sounds like the arguments made thirty years ago about why you can't have a black quarterback.

Posted by: kratt52 | April 13, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Now I got to debate one thing he said. he claimed none of our RBs have had a good season in 2 years. And that Willy Parker has been out of it since the Eagles game 2 years ago.

Portis 2 seasons ago, 342 rushes, 1,487 yards, 9 TD's and 218 yards through the air. Last year he was at 494 yards in 8 games, putting him on pace for getting very close to a 1000 yard season.

Larry Johnson 2 years ago 193 carries for 874 yards in 12 games. thats 4.5 yards per carry and 73 yards per game average, well over what he would need to hit the 1000 yard mark in 16 games. Once he became a backup in Cinci, he was averaging 4.4 yards per carry last year.

Parker has gone down hill since his injuries but as a backup for most of last year was also averaging above the 4.0 yard per carry mark. And the year before, in the 8 games he played after his injury still got over the 100 yard mark in 2 games.

So to say that they have done nothing in 2 years is hogwash.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 13, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

sorry skins fans, he's right. oh, he had trash and pinkston for a long time. guess what? they were fast. if he was throwing out in front of them instead of making them come back and battle d backs for the ball they wouldn't have looked as bad. don't forget t.o. sure he's a prima donna but when he's getting screen passes thrown behind him, i mean come on. just get yourselves ready. bad passes, interceptions: he'll be there smiling. not getting mad and taking over the game. no, he'll be smiling.

Posted by: mfslavin | April 13, 2010 10:35 AM | Report abuse

True enough that greatness is measured by championships, but Elway was in the same place before Shanahan, and we saw what he did with him. That's no sure bet, but it's a no brainer between Cambell and Mcnabb. Ask Nfl players and coaches who they would rather face.
Baldinger's obviuosly in love with his own opinion.

Posted by: azskinsfn | April 13, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

And Bald-dingy has ever done what??

I just can't respect people's opinions who are are nobodies and criticize other people in a profession that they did nothing in.

Whatever dude.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 13, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

So, when you're speaking of hall of fame qb's or franchise qb's they are judged differently....in your scenario Peyton Manning isn't at that level either...because of all of those playoff losses. What a crock. Baldinger, just be honest, you hate McNabb, period.

Posted by: monkeyhouserodge | April 13, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Hey billm32 You beagle fans are funny! Andy Reid left McNabb out to dry throughout his career. He provided him with little to no running game in the NFC east and provided him with only one big named WR. All the guy has done Has been a leader on and off the field, posted the third highest winning percentage in the NFL and you jackasses up there don't appreciate that.

Posted by: clwalker1906 | April 13, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

This guy is right on the money! If I were an Eagles fan I would be ecstatic with this trade! You get rid of an old, over the hill player who "WAS" good but never all that great!

Plus! As a bonus! He goes to a team in your division where he will delay any hope of developing a good young quarterback! Snyder is an idiot who shouldn't be allowed to play with sharp object's!

Posted by: sbf845 | April 13, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

what a retard...i guess based on what baldinger is saying is that tom brady is the only legit qb in the nfl right now. I mean what, he got to the nfc championship game every two seasons on average; but he obviously sucks because he never won the superbowl......and baldy you can criticize his mechanics, pocket presence, accuracy all you want, but his accomplishments on the field make all your arguments weak.
Wish I could have your job Baldy, just hate on who I want and talk meaningless 'analysis' and get paid for it...what a lame excuse of a life

Posted by: DCsportsfan7 | April 13, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

The real story here is why the Washington Post would even print this garbage. Oh yeah it's because they go out of their way to scour the wires to find anything negative they can no matter the source or their lack of credential or credibility. It is really pretty sad and once again about as lazy as you can get. You need to do no research, have no opinion and basically get to throw stones without taking any responsibility. Disgraceful for the Post and Steinberg two days in a row.

It is really one of the reasons I cancelled my subscription so the post gets none of my money. One day they will make this a pay site and never be heard from again. It just always surprises me when the local paper goes out of their way to be in a fight with the local team. It makes no sense. JR had a chance to mend fences, but it seems Steinbergs goal is to tear them down all over again. Maybe they see it as a venue to get out of here ala the other guy who was here trying to get the team in trouble with the league.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | April 13, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I have always thought Baldinger was a moron and HATE when the Skins are playing so badly that we get stuck with him for a broadcast instead of Joe & Troy.

But in that entire post he did not say a single untrue thing about McNabb.

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | April 13, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

" He went undrafted in the 1982 NFL Draft.Baldinger was offered a free agent contract by the Dallas Cowboys to come to training camp and earned a roster spot. "

Brian Baldinger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You want listen unintelligent former undrafted player or watching future Hall of fame QB ?

ENOUGH SAID!!

Posted by: skinsMill | April 13, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Ive never been a big Mcnabb fan i think allot of what Baldinger says is true. Only one way to find out, lets play some football.

Posted by: unknownsouljah | April 13, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

I think Philly will struggle next year. They were not a great team last year with McNabb and I don't expect Kolb to turn into
Tom Brady overnight. Green Bay dropped to 6-10 after they traded Favre and Rodgers is a much better QB prospect than Kolb.

It may prove to be a good trade for Philly in the long run if they get a good player with the Skins pick but you never know with the draft. To me it makes no sense not to trade him out of the division when others like Oakland and Buffalo would have given up the same thing.

I don't expect the Skins to be great next year but I do think they have a very good chance to contend for a wild card spot and be better than Philly because of this trade.

Posted by: skinsFan74 | April 13, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Baldinger was a pretty flawed player. I dont remember him ever doing much of anything to tell you the truth. Kind of dirty when a former player talks that bad about a current player. And he isnt that good of an announcer. Him and that weird looking fat dude are the 2 worst announcers on fox.

Posted by: wjeremy26 | April 13, 2010 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I don't think anyone has ever claimed that McNabb is the best pure passer in the league, but plenty of times I've seen him march the offense right down the field in the final minutes to win the game--and with a bunch of no-name wide receivers, to boot.

Everybody always brings up Brian Westbrook in response to comments about how awful McNabb's supporting casts were in Philly, but Westbrook was injured at least half the time. The Eagles' success in recent years is heavily on McNabb's shoulders.

Posted by: acoberst1 | April 13, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Hmmm...Tarkington, Kelly, Marino, never won the big one. And you could could argue that Manning (Peyton) and Elway were drastically headed down the same path, and all of these guys were and are HOFers. He may not be HOF material but I'd throw Flute in the mix as well. He was definitely a winner. If only he could have found a coach that would have committed to him... who know what would have happened.

Now as far as McNabb, sure he's not the same QB as he once was, but now for the first time in his career he'll have a coach who is committed to the run and he has more than one receiver to throw it to. So he won't be asked to do as much as he was in Philly. He'd throw like 40 - 50 passes a game... come on you can't win being so one dimensional. Also you don't make it to 5 Conference championships w/o being able to read defenses ask Jeff George, Ryan Leaf, and Heath Shuler. Baldinger is an idiot. I wonder what his thoughts on McNabb would be if he "looked" like Tarkington, Marino, and Kelly.

Posted by: clark202 | April 13, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Baldy is a dope. He's trying to be controversial to get ratings. And I'm not giving much credence to opinions given by psychotic philly fans - by far the worst I have seen in any city.
Shanny is worth at least 2 wins over Zorny, and DMac is worth at least 1 or 2 wins over JC. Plus they'll have a schedule due a 4-12 team. So first year we could easily improve by 4-5 games and at least be relevant at the end of the season. Add another yr of player development, improved drafting and minor FA acquisitions, and with a little luck, if we have a season in 2011, we could be seriously competitive. Shanallen are building a culture, an attitude. I remember when Marty cleaned house, and had major battles with his players, but after a few games they got with the program and started to play well. Unfortunately he ticked everyone off around him. Shanny I believe is doing the same thing, hopefully without ticking too many people off.
The only concerns I have about DMac are:
Will the Oline improve enough so he doesn't get killed.
He is strangely inconsistent. He can have a great game, then a real head scratcher. Let's hope an offense not so dependent on passing over 60% of the time will help DMac be more consistent.

There are definitely holes to be filled, but they are going to be better. I am just praying they don't draft Clausen, then this entire arguement goes out the window.

Posted by: mj25 | April 13, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

He's right about one thing. The 3 old RBs in the Skins backfield are a joke. Look how much better KC and Pittsburgh's running games were after Johnson and Parker were replaced.

Running Backs should be 2 things - Young and Cheap. PERIOD!

Posted by: saqster | April 13, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

The jury is still out on McNabb with the Redskins. He's being paraded around like he's the savior and he's basically a mediocre QB. but, I'm all for change and the Skins certainly need to mix it up so we'll see how that goes. I don't see all three RBs being with the team when the season starts. You have two prima donnas on Portis and Johnson so something will have to give there. They'll get in a young stud and mix him in there. One thing I feel confident about is Shanahan knows how to use his RBs. As for Baldinger, he's just stating his opinion and he's entitled to it. Most of what he espoused, I tend to agree with although I'm not an expert at reading defenses so I can't really assess McNabb's deficiencies there. Personally, I don't recall Baldinger being a very good QB (haha) so I don't know that he knows much about reading defenses himself. Maybe if McNabb were an offensive lineman - and he's getting his weight up to that level - Baldinger would have more credibility in assessing his skills. I hated the McNabb deal when it first happened, I'm just not a fan, but as a little time has passed I'm willing to give him some support.

Posted by: AsstGM | April 13, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Baldinger is not the brightest football mind, and FOX knows this. That is why he calls the weak NFC games.

McNabb has been in the same situation as Elway. Lining up with teams that would have been between 8-8/9-7 or worse in the years they did make it to the NFC title games had McNabb not been there in Philly.

Andy Reid is one of THE worst crunch-time play-callers in the NFL. In a nutshell, Reid is already a distant memory as a head coach in Philly if they don't take McNabb in the 1999 draft.

The Redskins are headed back to the playoffs simply because we have McNabb. He makes our 4-12 team a legitimate 9-7 team, because he helps us win games that Campbell just simply will never be able to win.

McNabb, we welcome you with open arms. The better you play and the better you make the Redskins simply means that more of our games will be called by Aikman/Buck and not the duo of Baldinger and whoever else he calls games with. Get my point Baldy?

Posted by: jmounadi | April 13, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

"I hope someone at Ashburn is keeping these type articles put them up in the locker room..."

I couldn't agree more with this statement. I'm taking a wait and see approach to all of the Redskins moves this off-season. Let's face it, the Redskins always seem to win the off-season Super Bowl yet can't seem to win when it actually counts. However, the one thing that I do like about many if not most of these moves is that we are bringing in a bunch of guys that have chips on their shoulders and a lot they feel like they have to prove.

It all remains to be seen whether it will work or not, but with a quality coach like Shanahan lighting fires under everyone's butts we should have a highly motivated team. They are putting in place a hungry team that wants to silence the critics and that's the type of Redskins team that I'm quick to stand behind. A team with some fight...I hope it stands true!!

Posted by: Burg_gold_blood | April 13, 2010 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Baldinger is right! He was not comparing Campbell to McNabb, he was just simply stating overall for us fans dont' get too excited because McNabb isn't enough to overcome our deficiencies as well as some of his. He throws more dirtballs I bet then anyone in the league.

Posted by: mastdark81 | April 13, 2010 12:12 PM | Report abuse

If i'm JC i hang around or try to because truth be told McNabb is 34 and one solid hit or one twist the wrong way and JC would be back in the saddle again and maybe with better weapons(o-line,backs,wideouts) look Baldringer or whatever his name is has an opinion right or wrong it's his opinion like i said if i'm JC being backup at 3.1million ain't so bad cause you never know...........

Posted by: dargregmag | April 13, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

wow..your only giving ball-guzzler attention that he does not deserve when you post these blogs

Posted by: diego99999 | April 13, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like sour grapes to me, but..............I guess I do agree with one point. McNabb's addition doesn't necessarily make the Skins a playoff team. I happen to like Campbell and would have liked to have seen what he would do with a better calibre line in front of him and some adult supervision in the front office. That said, McNabb is an upgrade at the position. Now I'll wait and see how the rest of the holes are addressed, if at all.

Posted by: prestoj | April 13, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: diego99999 | April 13, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

It kills me everytime someone tries to use the "big game" arguement against McNabb being a great or hall of fame quaterback. The fact is that he is a hall of fame quaterback. He has the numbers and five conference championships plus a super bowl appearance. He may not have won the superbowl, but guess what other hall of fame quaterback didn't win a super bowl...Dan Marino. Marino has all the numbers a quaterback can have, but no Superbowls and yet there was noone yelling that he's not a hall of famer.

Posted by: poeticfire | April 13, 2010 12:39 PM | Report abuse

Funny how Baldinger doesn't mentioned Andy Reid's coaching once. Eagles fans may have given McNabb a hard time his whole career, but most of them think Reid failed them as much or more in the big games. The Eagles never had a legit running game while McNabb was there. Coincidentally neither did Denver and Elway until Shanahan took over.

Posted by: jdumb | April 13, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

While Washington Redskins Sack “Soup” Campbell
Campbell Soup Reinstates NFL Mothers
New Campaign Will Focus On Family Values; Mrs. McNabb Returning for Starring Role

Advertising Age, April 13, 2010

PART 1

NEW YORK -- Campbell Soup is bringing back the moms.

Three years after suspending its well-received series of advertisements for its "Chunky" soup that featured National Football League greats and their mothers calling them inside for dinner and serving them soup, the company is planning to launch a new campaign this fall that renews and updates the storylines for some of the league’s best known players and their mothers.

Over the past three seasons, the soup company had been trying to present their target consumers -- men in their 30s -- as independent people who don’t need their mothers to tell them what and when to eat.

For example, one recent commercial showed former San Diego Chargers running back LaDainian Tomlinson describing his job in blue-collar terms.

"Another grueling day on the job," the ad begins. "You're dying to get out of those work clothes. You're hungry. You take a can of Chunky soup. You think about your day. Was I productive? Did I do right by my boss?"

"LaDainian Tomlinson apparently doesn’t need his mom to tell him which products have protein and which products don't," said Douglas Brand, brand manager for Chunky soup. "He learned that for himself.”
Unfortunately, soon after filming the commercial, Tomlinson became a victim of the “Chunky Soup Curse,” the so-called phenomenon where several football players who starred in the new campaign suffered mysterious major injuries. Following two more injury plagued seasons, Tomlinson was released by the Chargers this winter and is now seeking an opportunity to play with the New York Jets.

Meanwhile, the NFL is also suffering from numerous other cases of bad judgment and poor press -– including Pittsburgh Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger's sexual assault investigation in Georgia, and former Steeler Santonio Holmes’ trade to the New York Jets just hours before the public became aware his latest substance abuse charges and league suspension.

“It all points to the need for us to focus on family values,” said National Football League Commissioner Roger Goodell, “and we are pleased to partner with Campbell Soup in this effort to remind our players and fans of the importance of always acting in accordance with their mother’s best wishes.”

Posted by: Vic1 | April 13, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

PART 2
During its heyday, the original "Mama's Boys" campaign was highly popular -- spoofed on "Saturday Night Live," and referenced repeatedly on sports highlight shows.

The campaign, from Young & Rubicam, also distinguished Chunky in an advertising landscape with no shortage of brands using athletes to appeal to men.

Wilma McNabb, mother of new Washington Redskins Eagles quarterback Donovan McNabb and one of the first NFL moms to appear in the original ads, said she is looking forward to reestablishing her place as a cultural icon. "We moms really don’t get as much credit as we deserve anyway," she said Tuesday.

In the earlier iterations of the ads, which began airing in 1997, NFL luminaries such as John Elway and Terrell Davis appeared with actresses playing their mothers. After Mr. McNabb starred in a Chunky ad his faux mother, his real mother announced in 2001 that she could play herself just fine, thanks. And so she did, beginning in 2002. Since then, only real mothers appeared in the ads.

Before the 2007 football season, Campbell signed its largest contingent of NFL stars and their moms to appear in the campaign. Those ads featured eight players playing a four-on-four pickup game in the rain and snow, and then returning home to mom for a bowl of soup. Another current Washington Redskin player featured in the earlier ads is newly acquired running back Larry Johnson, who appeared during his playing hey days with the Kansas City Chiefs.

Campbell spent $42 million on ads for Chunky soup in 2006 and $49 million in 2007, according to TNS Media Intelligence.
Meanwhile, the Washington Redskins may be without the services of one of its Campbell “soupers” this season, because former starting quarterback Jason “Soup” Campbell is asking to be cut or traded from the team.

After posting a 4-12 season record during his 2009 football campaign, Campbell is reportedly annoyed that the Redskins have signed McNabb to quarterback the team.
Campbell says that while he was promised a “fair opportunity” to compete for “his” starting position, the Redskins now want him to compete against a "real professional quarterback" who has consistently proven his ability to lead a team, make clutch throws when the game is on the line, and win football games.

Campbell concluded, “Now tell me, what’s so fair about that?”

Posted by: Vic1 | April 13, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

DID ANYBODY SEE McNABB'S LAST TWO GAMES ?

Games they had to win...he stunk up the place...and now he's gone.Andy Reid was married to McNabb and traded him to a division rival for virtually nothing,what does that tell you about McNabb ?

They have done the stupidest thing ever,in signing two more over the hill running backs to go with Portis another has been...done nothing yet to improve the O Line...McNabb is fragile,always hurt of late...with no running game and no O Line...Campbell will be back.

Posted by: petebowling1 | April 13, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

By the way McNabb didn't get the Birds to all those NFC Championships - One time it was AJ Feeley and the other time it was Jeff Garcia....I wish him well although not against the Eagles.

Posted by: billm32 | April 13, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Jeff Garcia got the Eagles to the NFC Championship? What year was that in your imaginationland? Jeff Garcia has never been a part of an Eagles team that made it to an NFC Championship game, not as a starter, not as a back-up.

You must be a really die-hard Eagles fan buddy, what with such a wealth of knowledge of recent Eagles history.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 13, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

Glad Baldinger is as bad an analyst as he is a football commentator. 'Baldy' is one of those ex-athletes who makes me turn the volume doen during NFL broadcasts. A self-proclaimed NFL know it all, he is just trying to put himself in the news. I hope he doesn't over any Skins games this year, but then again I listen to the radio anyhow. Between homer Larry Michael and Baldy, I'd rather listen to the homer. Between he and Aikman, I'm not sure who I dislike calling Skins games more.

Posted by: bfjam | April 13, 2010 12:56 PM | Report abuse

A sports talk radio show had a segment last Friday where they asked the fans if Philly had a motive of trying to keep the Skins from acquiring Sam Bradford by trading McNabb within the division. Giving the Skins McNabb and taking some of our draft choices in the process is supposed to hurt our chances for a "Shanahan/Bradford" duo.

As much as I love the Skins, Philly only traded McNabb because they have no fear that we'll be a better team with him at QB. We have not been a threat in the division for the last ten years while Philly was winning division titles, going to the playoffs and the Bowl.

There are reasons why McNabb was successful in Philly. Same head coach. Same offensive system. Not too much attrition on the team.

And what have we been doing for the last ten years? Hiring and firing coaches every other year and........ wait for it.........

SIGNING EVERY BIG NAME PLAYER WHO'S PRIME IS IN THEIR PAST!!!!

Posted by: BenThere | April 13, 2010 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Hey, stop picking on the backfield. Respect your elders!

Posted by: richs91 | April 13, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Baldinger is terrible, its true if hes doing color on your teams broadcast then your team sucks. Only ones worse are Kenny Albert and Moose Johnson, Moose is awwwwful. Troy on the other hand is the best, very objective and always has insightful analysis.

Posted by: drewkinnear | April 13, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Who really cares about someone's opinion?

Posted by: justabill | April 13, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Alot of what Baldinger said is true. I was disappointed in Donavan the past few years when it came to the playoffs. He ended up throwing dumb interceptions the way Brett Farve was doing prior to last season but if Brett Farve can turn it around then Donovan can and I hope he does so that Baldinger can eat his words. The skins picked up a thought-to-be washed up Doug Williams and look what HE did. Times are different but I'm interested to see what Shanahan can do with this bunch. If you ask if I think they will succeed or fail? Look at their recent history and you'll have the answer.

Posted by: keedrow | April 13, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Let's see ... whose opinion do I value more: 2 time Super Bowl Champion Coach Mike Shanahan or some anal-yst named Baldinger? Please.

In Shanny I Trust

Posted by: shanks1 | April 13, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

One thing I knew but die hard skins fans are hearing from many NFL analysts is that the skins were sorry. No offensive line, No defense when it really counted, a middle of the road QB who never did anything to win a close game and that no one seems to be interested in, and an organization who still hasn't proved that it has changed it's past management style.

Posted by: keedrow | April 13, 2010 1:27 PM | Report abuse

Lots of harsh words from both sides (funny that Philly fans dime in - when was the last time any Skins fan called/wrote/cared about Beagles talk?). Reality is, Baldinger is a pundit - you don't have to be a HOF'er to make commentary - accurate or inaccurate. Although I can't stand it when he gets Skins games.

Over the years we Skins fans have seen DMac twice a year. He was always good for at least one good, timely pick or bad pass. At the same time, he often killed us with a great pass or his feet. He is a very good QB in this league and you HAVE to game plan for him.

Philly rolled the dice on Kolb - similar to (but not exactly like) Green Bay and Favre/Rogers. Difference is interdivision trade.

My money is that McNabb and Shanahan improve the Skins record and culture by at least 4 wins this year (8-8) and more thereafter. DMac has 2-3 good years left. As for our running backs, i'm in agreement with whoever said "young and cheap".

This is a QB league, and - although I think the world of JC as a person - we upgraded ten fold over what we had. We are immediately better at the RB, WR and OL with a QB that makes defenses a little more skeptical about going all out after him.

As for Kolb, it's a wait and see - but really - who cares. We're Skins fans.

Go Skins

Posted by: t_ewers | April 13, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

My fears are finally coming out here.
I always thought McNabb was good during the regular season, but he chokes in big games.
T.O carried him in the Super Bowl and he never looked at him until the 2nd half. He is a mature version of Jason Campbell. Holds the ball and isn't quick with his reads.
Good Luck with that crappy cast of O linemen that's about all there is to that

Posted by: keithlb28 | April 13, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I am going into the hospital. I am getting a brain transplant. They are giving me Baldinger's to be sure it has not been used before.

Posted by: chopin224 | April 13, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

By the way you rabid Redskin fans, how come I have never read anything here about a promotion that Snyder started several years ago... free beer at all Redskin playoff games.

Posted by: chopin224 | April 13, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

McNabb may still be a fine QB, but with an O-line that can't block and RB's that are too old, what chance does he have. I agree though, Baldinger is a horrible analyst.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | April 13, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

everything he said was spot on. Our O-line sucks. Our running backs are old has-beens and have yet to prove they can have a resurgence (esp behind the awful o-line). And McNabb does have some serious flaws in his passing ability. He can have a great game and then a terrible game.

And our safeties with the exception of Horton, are not great tacklers. Landry should be up on the line and Doughty just sucks.

So nothing Baldinger said is off the mark.

Posted by: cstanton1 | April 13, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Baldinger? ism't he the stiff that gets assigned all the sxxx nfl games to broadcast?

Posted by: FletcherChristian1 | April 13, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Funny, Redskins fans weren't commenting on how mediocre McNabb was the past 5-6 years when the Eagles came up on the schedule.

Also funny that Baldinger decided to open his mouth AFTER a trade was made.

I guess Baldinger didn't have the stones at the time to call McNabb out with all the pub going the other way.

After all what would have happened if McNabb had won that AZ game and the Eagles had won the Super Bowl?

Baldinger would never have been able to show his face in public again.

So, he picks a safe time when McNabb is traded to a 4-12 rebuilding club to dump on him, figuring that Shanahan will turn things around but it will take awhile and Baldinger won't have to face a real threat of McNabb being in a big game for at least a year or two.

Coward.

Posted by: leopard09 | April 13, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 13, 2010 2:23 PM | Report abuse

Dang, then what the heck are Sonny Jurgensen and Dan Marion doing in the Hall of Fame? They obviously were not franchise QB's because Marino never made it to the superbowl and Jurgy only played a back up role the year he went with the Skins. I will say though that his criticisms of McNab are identical to those the JC haters repeatedly chant against JC

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 13, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

he sounds a little bitter. But why at McNabb? Why not Phillip Rivers, or Dan Marino, A HOF'er who never won the big game. I think he is just trying to garner attention for himself.

Posted by: ged0386 | April 13, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: wallacea | April 13, 2010 9:34 AM

I GOT DINGED IN THE BALLS ONCE... IT HURT LIKE HECK!!!

Posted by: Sports_Guru | April 13, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Of course he's right. Enjoy another losing season, you dumb fans.

Posted by: dcwager | April 13, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Brian Baldinger who are you to talk like ur in the hall. you play 143 started 21 games in a 11 year career come on now.

An offensive lineman, Baldinger played college football at Nassau Community College and Duke University; he graduated from Duke in 1982.[1] He went undrafted in the 1982 NFL Draft. Baldinger was offered a free agent contract by the Dallas Cowboys to come to training camp and earned a roster spot. Baldinger later played for the Indianapolis Colts and Philadelphia Eagles.

come on now mcnabb is one of the best gb of his time you was not one at ur best in any years u was playin lol get a life and stop hatin on this man. lol 143 games played 21 starts lol u was not even drafted lol get a life bum

Posted by: SMOKEONLYGREEN | April 13, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMOKEONLYGREEN | April 13, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Can't really complain with the assessment. He hasn't amassed yards like Elway or Marino and he hasn't one the Big One. Until then...

Posted by: kahlua87 | April 13, 2010 3:09 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: kratt52

You're right. This is simply racism without the audacity to come out and openly make the connection to his ethnicity. It's what racists tend to do these days. They trot out the old racist arguments without directly saying it. I'm not African American, but I see it. The simple fact of the matter is that Donovan is one of the best quarterbacks in the NFL. He has proven that. He seems not to be as good as a select few in the league, but he's a lot better than most and we're lucky to have him.

Posted by: OintheSierras | April 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Baldinger's mediocrity as a player does not discredit his opinion as an analyst. His words about other topics do, however, make him a complete idiot.

He claims that Carson Palmer is not a franchise QB because, in Baldinger's words "He's been to one playoff game, and he didn't win it."

QB's are not judged very intelligently by the media. I have always thought this. Witness Eli Manning and Ben Roethlisberger anointed SB MVPs, while their respective teammates seem to win the game in spite of their mediocrity. But QBs like Palmer and McNabb, who clearly give their teams a big boost, are dismissed.

Posted by: jboogie1 | April 13, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

who the heck is Brian David "Baldy" Baldinger? Like he did anything in college, or the pro's. And he gets paid to do what? Run his mouth and talk crap.

Posted by: psardis | April 13, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Hey SkinsMill-

You're a moron. Baldinger played 11 seasons in the NFL. That's credibility enough for me. And I bet he has a wee more NFL experience than you.

Go to the drugstore and buy a bag now, so you can wear it over your face for the last 4 home games...

Posted by: dcwager | April 13, 2010 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"Well I mean, I think a lot of it is just fear...he's a big face of the National Football League. And you may not get on the inside of him..."

??? Why would anybody want to be "on the inside" of McNabb.

LOL!!! Phag, Baldinger.

Posted by: jboogie1 | April 13, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Mc Nabb has how many rings?

Posted by: rlomax67 | April 13, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Foreskins will be 5-11 next year.

Posted by: phoule | April 13, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Rush was wrong in 2002 about McNabb, and Baldinger is wrong in 2010 about McNabb. Very little difference in what both men said, it's just that Rush spelled it out more.

But I still don't think Rush should have been canned for that. Mike Wilbon says far more racially divisive things on a weekly basis than Rush ever will.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 13, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

just another guy who fails to realize would Eagles been better off without mcnabb his 10 years there. Did Mcnabb have a run game. no , did mcnabb really have a deep threat up till desean and TO. Eagles where nothing before McNabb

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | April 13, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Eagles have way more to lose in this situation the Skins. SKins can win 4 more games build a team around mcnabb which should done for Campbell and in next 4 years make playoff pushes. What if Kobb doesnt work out they go to Michael Vick alright. This could ruin the eagles if skins go on and win A super bowl or it would be even

Posted by: cjdwolfpack | April 13, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Everything he said has already been said in
other articles about the redskins. Too bad
Baldinger isn't a Hall of Famer, then his
words would carry "weight."

Posted by: madalao | April 13, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Baldinger is right on the money, unfortunately.

Posted by: nativedc | April 13, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

I think Baldinger is one of the worst NFL announcers on TV however, he is right about one thing, McNabb is a complete prima donna. Donnovan constantly cried about what the fans thought and said. He was always acting like the victim and I lost a lot of respect for him.

Posted by: sjp879 | April 13, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

Someone said it best: "Baldinger is an idiot"

More to the point, that idiot has been hating on the Skins for EVERY SINGLE GAME he covers. I just turn off the sound, when Fox puts that insufferable moron on. He has no credibility whatsoever when it comes to commenting on the Skins, no matter how accurate his comments are.

Posted by: free5 | April 13, 2010 6:20 PM | Report abuse

Redskins fans, I understand your excitement, you finally get a decent quarterback,but,understand your team is still not a complete team. You guys haveto be excited about Mcnabb, but, please with the elway crap, and the sonny jurgensen crap, elway won his 2 super bowls on the back of terrell davis and 2 , 2000 yard seasons.And I'm to young to know about jurgensen,but I think he was 30 years old, when they traded him.If you want to get the maximum effort from Mcnabb, get him a o-line, he's NOT going to run too much anymore, get him a dump off guy(like westbrook) and don't boo him, it's not good for his psyche. We know, we had 11 years of experience with this man.

Posted by: DeronForever | April 13, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Brian Baldinger is about as useless as his right pinkie - have you seen that on the NFL Network? Complete right angle. Maybe that's why he's so bitter. Didn't play long enough at a high level to get compensation to get THAT fixed. This is April 14, not August or September 14. The building is not complete yet. Let Mr. Allen and Coach do their jobs and judge it then. This clown is obviously grinding an ax. He just needs to sit on said ax.

Posted by: msuic76 | April 13, 2010 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Baldinger, spoken like a true phily loser. The rest of the NFC East kicked your tails all over the place during this guy's tenure as an Eagle. Despite the Redksins, Giants, and Cowboys winnings Super Bowls back when this idiot was playing, the Eagles did absolutely nothing, and will NEVER win a Super Bowl. To all you Phily losers, check the all time Wash-Phily record before you talk trash. Baldinger is just talking up the move to make himself and all loser Phily fans feel better about getting rid of the best QB your lousy city has ever seen. The Eagles were nothing before McNabb got there.

Posted by: ESaaavy | April 13, 2010 11:55 PM | Report abuse

I've had mixed feelings about the McNabb trade. Give JC the coaching that McNabb has AND the offensive line that McNabb will have this year(good or not it will be better than last)and I don't know that a 2nd rounder was worth it. Coulda kept JC and worked on the OL.

Posted by: vegasskinsfan | April 14, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

b. baldinger went to duke, so, he sucks

Posted by: BMACattack | April 14, 2010 1:22 AM | Report abuse

Comparing McNabb's numbers to Marino's ?
You have to be kidding me.

Marino had EVERY passing record when he retired...not the Dolphins' records but EVERY passing record...McNabb holds the Eagles' records...lets see he beat out Jaws ...Cunningham...oh yeah,he's a lock on the HOF.

Posted by: petebowling1 | April 14, 2010 1:58 AM | Report abuse

"Most fans I remember were worried McNabb was going to light up the Redskins by making plays down the field.

Also funny that Baldinger decided to open his mouth AFTER a trade was made.

Where were his comments when the Eagles were advancing to the NFC Championship game in 2009 despite an injury riddled season in which the club was applaued as an overachiever at 9-6-1?"

How'd that march to the playoffs and the NFC Championship game work out this year ?

He had to beat the Cowboys...lost twice.

He has to beat the Cowboys this year...in any stretch of imagination do you think he'll have the O Line this year he had last ?

Which running back will be effective enough that the play action will work...certainly not Portis? I'll bet the other teams are praying that Snyders boy friend Clinton gets the ball...and falls down like he does.

Posted by: petebowling1 | April 14, 2010 2:09 AM | Report abuse

This guy played for Dallas, Indy, Philly. He's never won a big game in his career. Honestly, he sounds like a fan not an analyst. Overall Mcnabb had a pretty good career with the eagles. He has the best numbers for any quarterback attached to that franchise. Every quarterback has something in their game that's not good. Mcnabb is no different. I think this is football not golf. A team sport! If he was so bad why did coach Ried keep him so long? Or, how he (Brian) said coach Reid was covering for him. I think a analyst suppose to look at the entire picture of a team. Will that move make that team any better? All i'm saying is look at the overall picture of a player or team. Let's not forget, Mr. Baldinger didn't win anything in his career how can you make negative comments on someone else when you weren't anything special in the NFL? No real Redskin fan should care what he thinks because he was drafted by Dallas, and as we know finished with Philly. Go figure!!

Posted by: thetruth4real | April 14, 2010 2:52 AM | Report abuse

While reading the post of everyone, I've come to the conclusion that some people have a clue and some do not.

Is McNabb an upgrade? Yes. Did the Skins shuffle their OL more than any team last year? Yes. Didn't the Skins loose their top two running backs last year? Yes. Didn't the Skins defense rank higher than the Eagles last year? Yes. By the way the Skins ranked 10th & the Eagles 12th. Skins avj. 16.6ppg last year and gave up 21ppg last year. Eagles avj. 26.8ppg and gave up 21.1 ppg last year. Skins lost 8 games by 8pts or less and we won 4 games total. How many of these games could we have pulled out with McNabb. Come on now, we have a 6'4", 6'3", 6'2" wide receivers but the coaching staff wouldn't throw a fade route in the end zone. Remember three of those games we lost was to Detroit, Carolina and Kansas City. Last year we lost two starting OL man, starting TE, starting and backup running backs. Name one team in the league that could survive that. If the skins can rebuild their OL they have as much talent as anyone in the league. I'm from Philly but I'm a skins fan. So if anybody know about Philly sports it's me and my dad is a die hard Eagles fan.

Posted by: traceyallenc | April 14, 2010 3:27 AM | Report abuse

Look guys...have you ever heard Baldballs call a Redskins game? It is ridiculous when he does. He is, and has been, FOR YEARS, very bias AGAINST the Redskins. Much like the fat Mike from Mike and Mike. These comments are just more of the same from Baldingdong. He's on like the 10th string for that network. Have fun calling Rams vs Chiefs next year.

Posted by: ECSkins | April 14, 2010 7:07 AM | Report abuse

By the standards set by Mr. Baldinger, I guess you would have to say Peyton Manning (The one super bowl win aside) is not a great quarterback. It is amazing how these so-called sports journalists love to feed off of each other and listen to themselves talk. To say Donovan does not improve the team is ludicrous. As a life long Redskins fan, I welcome his leadership and experience to the team.

Posted by: RealConservative | April 14, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

Go Skins.

Posted by: fearturtle44 | April 13, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

I think a lot of people miss Baldinger's point....

McNabb is not good enough to overcome the Skins defisciencies....

Had McNabb played behind the Skins line last year we most certainly would not have had more than 2 or 3 extra wins... and that means a .500 record...

So why send a high #2 for a QB with a 3 year shelf life when our problems are much, much bigger?

Posted by: oldnova | April 14, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Baldinger clearly has a personal ax to grind, but we all know what Donovan has not done - yet. #5 is still a MAJOR upgrade at the QB position, and that is the reason why this trade is still a good one. Drafting a QB high is still too much of a crap shoot, and only has a chance if your OL is Pro Bowl like the Jets.

Posted by: ar652 | April 14, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Who is Brian Baldinger again?

Posted by: amontgomery1 | April 14, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

I don't care for Baldinger and I think he's bitter, but he's right on some points. Donovan is not that accurate and he's streaky, but so is JC! The thing that he's missing is that Donovan is not going to be asked to do as much. Donovan was asked to run and pass and until they added Westbrook did he get some relief. I think it's a upgrade over JC because Donovan will get rid of the ball faster and he knows how to scramble and...... um........
SLIDE!!!

Posted by: tryumpfant | April 14, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

SLIDE!!!

Posted by: tryumpfant | April 14, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"But when we're talking about franchise quarterbacks or potential Hall of Fame quarterbacks - because those are the two terms that always get mentioned with Donovan - we have to look at what you do in big games. That's the only way to measure it. You don't measure it by the supporting cast, you don't measure it by how good the defense is, you just measure it by what the guy does in big games. And in my viewpoint, he came up woefully short in a lot of big games...."

The supporting cast? You mean the other football players on the field that are getting paid too? And if its about Big Games and Championships, then why can't Ken Stabler get into the Hall of Fame?

Posted by: tryumpfant | April 14, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I've been hard on Jason Clownble for some time, but McNabb? Pleeeeeze.

He's waaaaay better than Clownble and shouldn't be receiving ANY scrutiny from the fans or the press here in DC. He's waaaaaay better than any Skins QB going back 20 years.

Posted by: dc1020008 | April 14, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

I know this goes against conventional thinking here, but after rebuilding the Offensive line and running game, I think that we should start Campbell and have DM as the backup. Try to get to 8-8 this year, then shoot for the playoffs next year.

Posted by: supattapone | April 14, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

And Baldinger is who?

Some washed up former NFL player who landed an analyst position on NFC game broadcasts.

And that makes him who?

Posted by: dc1020008 | April 14, 2010 10:20 AM | Report abuse

I guess I don't see what the fuss is about. Sure, McNabb is a flawed QB, at least in the sense that he's not that accurate on the short stuff -- but he doesn't have the yips like Jay Schroeder did. And he doesn't always make the correct read, but then, we saw Favre make a couple of howlers in that New Orleans game, and he's more experienced than Donovan.

Seems to me Baldinger makes the classic error of judging the QB's merit by the team's performance in a few big games. The media used to do that to Marino and Fouts, and even the Mannings -- before they got a ring. "If he were great," they'd opine, "he'd have won a Super Bowl." Ignoring the merely average to good QBs who had won Super Bowls.

People do it around here to Jason Campbell, insisting he's worse than the evidence demonstrates, simply because the team isn't very good. Some are capable of acknowledging the many problems in the line, the WR corps, and the running attack while simultaneously laying blame solely at the feet of the QB.

IMO Mike Shanahan didn't trade for McNabb and sign Grossman because Campbell is a bad QB. He did it because Campbell is not the sort of QB he likes to work with. For one thing, he doesn't make a lot of plays outside the pocket. Doesn't mean Campbell can't succeed elsewhere.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 14, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Baldinger is actually a very good analyst (he's not a Skins hater) and his comments at least provide one answer to the question of why Philly traded McNabb within the division. He's good, not great, and Phily knows him very very well.

I still believe we got fleeced in this trade. Maybe Shanahan thinks he can get more out of McNabb than the Eagles were able to - we will see.

The worst thing about this trade is how less enjoyable it is to root for Redskins Inc., especially now that every game is going to be even more of an exercise in buyer's remorse.

Except now we're going to live and die by the Philadelphia Eagle behind center.

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 14, 2010 11:08 AM | Report abuse

And Baldinger is who?

And that makes him who?

Posted by: dc1020008 | April 14, 2010 10:20 AM

______________________________________

He's a BALD L-O-S-E-R

He's not even a good analyst on anything. If you have seen some of his work it's not the bests analysis and play by play breakdown if the NFL. If he was a QB I would probably listen but he's just like you said a washed up ex NFL player. Went undrafted, a journeyman, Former Cow-girl and Igglets player as well as a short stint with the Colts and didn't win any SB. Plus his comments are not even close to any analysis, HE JUST HATES McNABB.

When McNabb resurrects the Skins to a winning franchise again, He'll swallow all his stooooopid remarks HAH!

GO SKINS! GO McNABB!!! that's what he needs more motivation!

Posted by: datruth21 | April 14, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

Funny, I've never heard of Baldinger until today -- I've heard of McNabb for years and years. I'd say that about sums it up.

Posted by: nah2o | April 14, 2010 12:58 PM | Report abuse

This is the thing about NFL offseason commentaries......as we have learned reporters will say anything to get attention.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | April 14, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Exactly Baldinger's statement is 100% true, we traded good pics for this guy. He's a good player, but in big games he's a nonfactor, that's his career story. Last year fumblin the ball from under center and laughin, wtf. Short term solution, and still the line isn't addressed. McNabb is gonna go down with an injury and season is done . It's the same old story. Team doesn't want to use the tools it has and build smartly. Losin draft picks, not building through the draft like most dynasties do. It's the same MO, just under a supposedly new coach. I'm not impressed with Shanahan, or Allen. The smart thing would have been to build the line, run with Campbell, give him a chance to prove himself, move Portis for some piks. The games are won and lost at the line of scrimmage. Doesn't matter who's behind that line if it doesn't change from last year. And one top tackle isn't gonna change this line.

Posted by: ttiger211996 | April 14, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Baldinger can't even spell Hall of Fame. Donovan has a good chance to get in. Dingle-dorfer should just shut up.

Posted by: cakehydrant | April 14, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

There are good reasons not to like this deal even if you consider McNabb a great QB. And he has clearly been one of the premier QBs in the league. But I do agree that he will not likely get us to the playoffs next year and that he is unlikely to be around long enough to have a real contender built around him.

Posted by: mgferrebee | April 14, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Being from Philly and attending Redskin and Oriole games for over 30yrs I always give you fans credit.So close to Philly but nowhere as stupid or obnoxious as a Philly fan.TILL NOW...you people bust on Baldinger as being an idiot because he was a marginal football player.How good of a player was Bill walsh,Shula or Chuck Noll. secondly,remember this day,'cause when Don drives the ball down the field with less than 2:00 to play and throws an INT. or 3 straight incomplete pass to end the game THEN compare him to ELWAY.When he completes 23 of 58 passes for 300yrds and zero TDs compare him to Marino.When he throws countless balls into the ground compare him to Montana.If he takes the Skins to the playoffs goodluck and buckle your seatbelt because while he's driving the ball down the field for one last shot at victory turn the clock back to 2004 and visualize Ronde Barber picking off a pass that sealled their Super Bowl fate...he is still running with the ball!Oh yeah, one last thing about Donny Mac and BIG REDs domination of the NFL East back then...BIG RED wasn't coaching against Parcells,Landry and Joe Gibbs.I for one will be rooting to see McNabb be sucssful under Shannahan,maybe it was Reid holding him back...We all shall see GO BIRDs E-A-G-L-E-S Eagles.

Posted by: doubled1458 | April 14, 2010 5:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, he is certainly right about the woeful offensive line. We'll just have to see how McNabb does this year. Save the piece and then we can shove it down his throat if McNabb has a great year and the skins do well.

Posted by: 15of18 | April 14, 2010 5:40 PM | Report abuse

mcnabb 20 years from now will still be a better qb than jc ever was i was hoping some how for a younger more traditional qb but i was elated when i heard the mcnabb news

Posted by: monk13 | April 14, 2010 6:54 PM | Report abuse

I haven't been to a lot of redskin games, but the two games I did see were against the eagles. And they burned us bad. DN was way better than JC in those games. I was pissed at the birds, but really admired DN. He is a great player, and if can stay healthy by an improved o-line and has a good supporting staff, he will lead the skins to many victories. Please, JC is not even close to being in the same league as DN.

Posted by: DrWho2 | April 14, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Jason Campbells game has more flaws than an industrial diamond. I haven't missed a game in over a decade, and I'm tellin ya Todd Collins gave us a better chance to win.

McNabb is no Brady or Manning, but he is more than a huge upgrade to Campbell. Night and day folks.

Campbell has a very slow release and needs his body to be in a comfortable position to deliver the ball with any accuracy. That is NOT a good thing! Despite his arm strength even with protection his deep ball has next to zero accuracy. He is absolutley missing about half the throws an NFL qb has to have. His mediocre stats are a smokescreen. A quarterback has to shoulder his team and win sometimes. Campbell never did, and he never will.

Posted by: skins91r | April 14, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Oh geez.

Baldinger is Tony Romo's knight errant. Quick to defend whenever Antonia fails. Reflexively praise if Romo doesn't self-destruct.

Romo, according to Baldinger, is a *franchise* QB.

McNabb, according to Baldinger, is not.

Romo's playoff line: 4 games, 1W, 3Ls, QBR 80.8.

McNabb: 16 playoff games, 9Ws,7Ls, QBR 80.0.

McNabb may not be Johnny U or Cool Joe, but if Tony Romo is a "franchise" QB, so is McNabb.

Posted by: pryvasee | April 14, 2010 11:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm a native Washingtonian that now lives in South Jersey and these idiots up here are the only one's that would Baldinger the time of day. The Eagle fans have been all over Mcnabb. Since Gibbs let after his Super Bowl season in 91-92 season we've had 19QB's. Look how about Trent Edwards in Buffalo,Jake from the Panthers now with Browns or Brady Quinn. Baldy is a BIG MOUTH nobody! The only thing that I think about when I see him is that creepy pinky finger that is bent like a twing. Skins fix the OLINE run the ball and McNabb throws 20-25 times a game that = success and we make the playoffs. Hail to the REDSKINS

Posted by: drearly21 | April 14, 2010 11:48 PM | Report abuse

Baldinger: "You don't measure [franchise QBs] by the supporting cast, you don't measure [them] by how good the defense is, you just measure [him] by what the guy does in big games. "

---

McNabb -- postseason W-L 9-7, postseason QBR 80.0.

Tony Romo (postseason W-L/1-3, QBR 80.8),
Matt Hasselbaeck (postseason W-L/4-5, QBR 79.9),
Philip Rivers (postseason W-L/3-4,QBR 79.2),
Eli Manning (postseason W-L/4-3, QBR/77.6),
Matt Ryan, (postseason W-L/0-1, QBR 72.8),
Carson Palmer (postseason W-L/0-2, QBR 66.5), Joe Flacco, (posteason W-L/3-2, QBR 46.5)

"Franchise" QBs? WAS: Got one.

Posted by: pryvasee | April 15, 2010 12:54 AM | Report abuse

So McNabb apparently chokes in Big Games.

Am I the only Skins fan who would just love to make it to a big game, even if he did choke when we were there!!!

Its better than not even making it to big games in the first place...

Go Skins!!!

And please please Shanahan, swallow your pride, recognise the tools you have in this Defence, London, Carter, B-Rak and Big Al and realise this is a customer built dominant 4-3, dont change it to a 3-4 so that just when we have a decent offence we start giving up 45-45 points per game.

Posted by: PommyLee | April 15, 2010 1:10 AM | Report abuse

baldinger has a job to do and he has to keep it. one way these guys get noticed in their professional is to pick/create a "hot" topic that might get them some attention (national attention even better) and put their views on that "hot" topic out there in the media...now he's got us talking about the "hot" topic and about him as well...he has elevated himself to the level of the topic thus he gets to collect another paycheck from those who employ him. this guy's personal statements (about donovan) have no credibility and his facts are already well documented in philly as well as throughout the league. when the smoke clears donovan will STILL be a pro quarterback in the NFL and baldi will still be trying to make a name for himself (and keep his job) by looking for the next "hot" topic and making inflammatory comments about the topics.

Posted by: ronniecope106 | April 15, 2010 1:13 AM | Report abuse

The guy was talking to a Philly station. Baldinger played in Philly and in Dallas...what do you think he'd say?

Posted by: kevin_rigsby19 | April 15, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

This story is not news worthy for one reason, the guy played for Dallas.........he is a moron that wished he played in a super bowl and 5 NFC championship games. He is trying to makes headlines so Jerry Jones rant on Bill Parcells (most brillant mind in football)goes away.

I live in Denver and Elway was ALWAYS a chump (still is), but Shanahan made a winner out him after many failed attempts at the big dance. I like our chances, especially against K Kolb.

Posted by: skins10 | April 15, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Look this is a risky move for both teams.. and could end up a lose lose. McNabb is on the downside of his career.. he's got 2 maybe 3 years here to give the Skins a Super Bowl run.. if he doesn't the question certainly will be would the Skins have been better off drafting a YOUNG franchise QB. The Eagles IF NcNabb makes the Skins BETTER than the Eagles these next 2 years.. even if Kolb is good Reid will be questioned.. why Washington??? It looks like Shanahan's other choice was drafting Clausen.. I'll be interesting to see how well he does. IF he has a long successful career elsewhere.. this trade will go down as another in a long line of mistakes by the Redskins...

Posted by: sovine08 | April 15, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Washington loves QBs and the fans will embrace McNabb. That's what we do. He will make this offense and team better compared to Campbell.

As far as McNabb in Philly...I can't blame him as far as fan treatment. Booed when drafted, booed when he played, and their glad he's gone. Although, with the way players are treated in Philly he could have won a title and probably still would be treated like this.

Posted by: jdumb | April 15, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Isn't Brian Baldinger assigned /relegated / exiled to either the D, E or F broadcast team for Fox NFL football games? I'm pretty sure the Redskins drew him several times last season.

'Nuff said.

Posted by: SkinsKen | April 15, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I have quarterbacks to mention Dan Marino and Jim Kelly. Two hall of famers and never won the big game. Baldinger, you are a racist and a hater.

Posted by: billyrowland | April 15, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse