Brooks Laich discusses his tire change

Like most of his teammates, Brooks Laich did a season wrap-up with the media on Friday afternoon. Unlike his teammates, though, Laich first had to discuss changing a tire for a stranded motorist on the Roosevelt Bridge.

See, that whole little tire change story became kind of a big deal. TSN did a spot, interviewing the woman whose tire was changed. Several other Canadian TV stations and papers picked it up, including the Montreal Gazette and the Ottawa Citizen. The AP moved a story, and the Regina Leader Post ran the item at the top of its website. NBC Sports is planning to do a segment during its weekend national hockey coverage. Laich said that he got more text messages about changing the tire than he had about losing Game 7 to Montreal.

"It was just a tire," he said on Friday. "It's not a big deal. It was just a tire. The lady was stranded on the side of the road, I saw that it was just a lady and her daughter, and I figured my tire expertise outweighed hers. It's a busy spot, on that bridge, and I just pulled over to help them. That's it."

Someone asked if the experience made him feel any better about the loss. Laich seemed to be taking the end of the season as hard as anyone, and I can't imagine changing a tire really made him feel any better. And he didn't exactly answer this question.

"I don't know, just because my day sucked didn't mean that I couldn't help somebody else," he said. "They were disappointed with the way it went. And actually it was kind of funny, she said it might be a positive thing that we lost because she was hoping some season-ticket holders would cancel their tickets and she could get one. So I don't know if that happened or not, but I think it's been blown way out of proportion. It was just a tire. It's not a big deal....Anyway, I hope they made it home safe."

Before he left, someone asked Laich about why he did it.

"Saskatchewan education," he said with a smile.

Here, by the way, is the audio of the driver's call into the Mike Wise Show, where she talks about the incident.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 30, 2010; 2:29 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin: "We can win the Cup"
Next: Brooks Laich defends Boudreau and the Caps

Comments

And this is why Brooksy should have a "C" on his jersey, for nothing else than to identify him as "Classy." Great form Brooks. Looking forward to cheering you on next year.

Posted by: phknlwyr | April 30, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

Laich is great...but not the team's leader/captain...classy yes...

Posted by: rdiehljr | April 30, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I sense a T-shirt opportunity here. Maybe Brooksie in a cape and spandex with a picture of a tire on his costume's chest? Maybe carrying a gold plated tire on? :)

A couple pals familiar with that road did say the idea of stopping on that bridge at night to change a tire is in fact scary in terms of the oncoming traffic.

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 30, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I've always said Brooks is the glue on this team and I stick by it. If they all wanted this thing as bad as he does then we wouldn't be where we are today. We'd be ready for round 2 game 1. Get'em next year Caps.

Posted by: moltzjo | April 30, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

Blackjack65, the oncoming traffic on that bridge is separated by concrete barriers...not sure how that plays into it unless she was pulled over in the left lane - but there's still a barrier. What's potentially scary is that there is only one place to pull over that isn't an actual lane, and it's a small strip at the end (VA side) of the bridge.

I love the idea of a shirt: "I Laich Changing Tires" or something better.

Posted by: Section104 | April 30, 2010 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Brooks rocks.

Posted by: OvechkinFan92801 | April 30, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I remember when I had to learn how to change a tire. It should be a requirement prior to getting a license. It's great that Laich stopped to help, but the mother and daughter should have been able to do it too.

Posted by: Grooven | April 30, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse

I think Laich should have been named captain, not Ovechkin.

Posted by: butcherbaker | April 30, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse

Agree with those who said Brooks Laich should have been given the C. Leadership involves a lot more than pure skill. I know the C can't be taken back, but there needs to be a way to make Laich effectively the Co-
Captain.

Posted by: remy117 | April 30, 2010 9:04 PM | Report abuse

Given the number of potholes and road hazards I think learning to change the tire on your car should be mandatory. Dont forget to check the air pressure on the spare if your car is old. My first flat tire, no air in the spare and the jack was rusted.

Posted by: boywaja | April 30, 2010 10:21 PM | Report abuse

Just a warning to anyone interested in listening to the audio clip. Freaking intro is around 2 minutes long.

Posted by: CapsXXVI | May 1, 2010 3:48 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Brooks Laich has always been among my favorite hockey players for his unselfish, gritty style of play. But this! He will always be my favorite player on the Caps!

Posted by: tapscottmm | May 2, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse