Caps win almost sealed with an Ovechkin kiss

The Capitals' goal-scoring celebrations got progressively more enthusiastic during their 5-1 win on Monday night. Brooks Laich, for example, was rather stoic after putting his team up, 2-0. But Alex Ovechkin seemed fairly giddy after making it 4-0, earning this enthusiastic embrace from linemate Nicklas Backstrom. And by the time Matt Bradley scored the fifth goal, and sort of stumbled his way back to center ice, his teammates were yukking it up on the bench.

As for the Ovechkin celebration, no, they didn't actually kiss. (See Toni L. Sandys's photo below, and it goes without saying, not that there's anything wrong with that.) But they sure seemed happy to see each other.

"We love play here," Ovechkin told CSN's Lisa Hillary after the game. "This is a great building, great atmosphere. I think everybody knows this is the playoffs and we have to forget about what they say, what media say, and you just have to concentrate your game."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 19, 2010; 10:13 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeShawn's neck tattoo speaks
Next: Canadiens say loss was "no big deal"

Comments

Varly deserves a big smooch too.

Posted by: JamWhitt | April 19, 2010 10:49 PM | Report abuse

I wouldnt mind kissing that man between the cheeks, so to speak.

Posted by: snydercash4clunkers | April 19, 2010 11:03 PM | Report abuse

I am still laughing my A-- off at the reaction of Ovie on his knees as Backstrom grabs him like a little kid. Its Classic.

Posted by: lightshow | April 19, 2010 11:05 PM | Report abuse

Ovie wouldn't be afraid to show his feminine side...if he had one.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 20, 2010 12:00 AM | Report abuse

That celebration was priceless! Hopefully we'll see many many more of those before it's all said and done.

LET'S GO CAPS!!!

Posted by: AmyS1 | April 20, 2010 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Gosh, I wonder if the homophobic 13 year-olds who run The Pens Blog have seen this.

Posted by: TheLeaver | April 20, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Eh, they're European. No big deal.

Posted by: LloydChristmas | April 20, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

I thought that was the cutest thing I've ever seen!!!!!!

Posted by: capswench | April 20, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

Last night I kept laughing at the way he cupped Ovie's face in his hands. Love the exuberance of youth!

Posted by: JillC | April 20, 2010 10:11 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheLeaver | April 20, 2010 9:10 AM

HAHAHA Classic!

Posted by: rmontcal | April 20, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Any love is good love.

Posted by: sandyflee | April 20, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

hey at least they aren't getting 18 years durnk and taking them to a bathroom .. so if the pens fans pick up the gauntlet..

Posted by: kmr2r | April 20, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

you know now that I am home and reread this.. this article bothers me.. I lost a little respect for this blog.. I am not really sure what the point of it is or the implication.. if its to make readers go to the blog that tagline is kinda lame. I mean it was a funny moment in the game we saw when it happened, but..

Posted by: kmr2r | April 20, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

I noticed this moment during the game, and I thought it was completely adorable! It feels great to see the players so happy, as opposed to their demeanor during most of games 1 and 2.

Posted by: naha8 | April 20, 2010 6:35 PM | Report abuse