Cerrato takes a dig at Jason Campbell

The Vinny Cerrato radio tour continues in advance of Thursday night's NFL draft, and I'm on board every step of the way. I'm pretty sure my ears are bleeding already. Just shove some cotton balls in there and keep going.

Thursday morning, he was on Mike and Mike, and he was asked about the third and fourth QBs in this draft.

"You cannot play in this league without a quarterback," Cerrato said. "Trust me, I know that. You cannot win without a franchise quarterback, and everybody's always looking for a franchise quarterback. When I was in San Fran, we had Joe Montana, Steve Young. When I was in Washington, we never had a franchise quarterback, and that's why I'm joining the ESPN team again."

Well, it's a good line. And the JC haters would say he's largely right. The JC defenders might point out that Cerrato could have had 16 franchise quarterbacks last season, and if they were all staring up at the sky while being sat on by large pass rushers, it wouldn't have made much of a difference. The eternal debate. Yes, I plan on debating this eternally.

Just as an FYI to Cerrato, it's possible to discuss former players without accusing them of costing you your job. Like, 106.7 The Fan's Chris Russell ran down Zorn this week, and asked three Campbell questions of his own. (There's lots more from Zorn here.):

CR: Will Jason Campbell in the right situation ever become an elite quarterback, a Pro Bowl player?

JZ: "I think everybody who becomes a Pro Bowl quarterback has earned it. That's one of the things he has not done yet. He's probably working right now. I thought he improved over the two years that we were there. I'm proud of things he's accomplished. Much like I think I was a better coach after these past two seasons, I think he's a better quarterback."

CR: What did Jason Campbell do well?

JZ: "Most quarterbacks have to always pay attention to details. The things I think he does well, is he concentrates well. He's not real talkative or whatever. He plays hard. He's a very durable player as you saw last year, and even the year before."

CR: What are some of the things he needs to improve on?

JZ: "Some of the things he was weak at, we always talked about decision-making. He's improved in that. His release got better. His feet got better."

Not the highest praise, I guess, but notice how he didn't say "had Jason improved even more at decision-making, maybe I wouldn't be here in Baltimore coaching quarterbacks?"

Anyhow, Cerrato also said he had a special feeling in his belly.

"You know what, I can tell it's Draft Day," he told the Mikes. "I couldn't sleep all night, and I got a pit in my stomach already for the draft tonight."

Funny, for the first time in years, a whole bunch of Redskins fans don't.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 22, 2010; 1:07 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: When Bruce Boudreau worked for Jean Perron
Next: T.O. thinks the Redskins need a receiver

Comments

"(Also, if you need to have a franchise quarterback to win, and Washington didn't have a franchise quarterback, then how is it that Cerrato gave Jim Zorn a playoff roster last season? Riddle me that one, oh draft analyst.)"

That's a fair point. But I'll always believe this would have been a good team had Randy Thomas and Chris Samuels not gone down after playing only 4 games. I think we hold on to beat Carolina if Samuels plays more than 2 snaps and we have momentum going into the week 6 game against winless KC . We'd have likely been 4-2 heading into the Philly MNF game and maybe JC doesn't have all those early turnovers in that game (including the pick-six) if he had Thomas and Samuels in there protecting him.

Yeah, it was a playoff roster to start the season. But by week 5 it was a 4-12 roster.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 22, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Vinny's a class act...

Posted by: Scoonie97 | April 22, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Really, Vinny? Trent Dilfer and Brad Johnson were "franchise quarterbacks"? Because I always thought they were decent quarterbacks surrounded by talented players who knew enough not to screw things up...but hey, what do I know, I never screwed up an NFL franchise.

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 22, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

Vinny has no right to criticize ANYbody. Period. I'd have more respect for the guy if he'd go boating and just stop yapping about football.

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 22, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato must be an amazingly likable dude for people to keep giving him NFL-related jobs when he is so bad at doing them. He's like the Isiah Thomas of football... minus the Hall of Fame playing career.

Posted by: Ootek | April 22, 2010 1:54 PM | Report abuse

Vinny has said some dumb azz things in his day, but he's right on this.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 22, 2010 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Vinny's a class act...

Posted by: Scoonie97

Now take away the 'C' and the 'L' and your right.

Posted by: Predator48 | April 22, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Vinnie you'll always be "Dumber" in my book.

Posted by: mb15 | April 22, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Why is Vinny discussing Joe Montana and Steve Young? When Vinny was in San Francisco wasn't he cutting film or something like that?

He wasn't picking players in the draft back then. He's picking them now. Look where it got him.

Why do we even pay Vinny any attention? Kind of like an accident on the beltway I guess. People can't help themselves.

I'm not going to argue that J. Campbell is a franchise quarterback or not. Come to think of it, there are only a few elite quarterbacks in the league. But as for JC, I think he will do good with a quality team. I'm not piling on Big Ben but in truth he's not that much different than JC. He just went to the right franchise. His first SB he needs to thank Bettis and that running game. The second he had 2 unbelievable plays, the J. Harrison return and the S. Holmes catch. It's the situation.

Posted by: BigTee13 | April 22, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Vinnie you'll always be "Dumber" in my book.

Posted by: mb15 | April 22, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

Vinnie you'll always be "Dumber" in my book.

Posted by: mb15 | April 22, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Riddle me this............ Joe Thiesmann, Doug Williams, Mark Rypien - which of these three was a "franchise quarterback"? All of them have Washington Redskins championship rings.

Vinny, you're on ESPN because talk is cheap.

Posted by: BenThere | April 22, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Where Vinny ranks in NFL respectability.

The roster of the 0-16 Detroit Lions
Vinny
Adam Jones
The producer of "The Replacements"
MIke Vick
Big Ben

Posted by: alex35332 | April 22, 2010 2:55 PM | Report abuse

If I were an NFL player, I would be very worried if Vinny Cerrato said good things about me. Jason Campbell should feel very relieved.

Posted by: nativedc | April 22, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Joe Thiesmann was franchise QB if he'd not gotten hurt. He became the starter in 78, went to two SBs and was MVP of league in 83. I'd call that a franchise QB.

Posted by: AnthonyMix | April 22, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: BigTee13 | April 22, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

This is exactly what I think many ill-informed Redskins fans actually believe about Vinny's resume. Is it really that hard to google his resume?

"San Francisco

Cerrato was with the San Francisco 49ers for nine seasons. He joined San Francisco in 1991 as the Director of College Scouting, helping to draft players including Ted Washington, Ricky Watters, Dana Stubblefield and Bryant Young. In 1994, the 49ers were the Super Bowl XXIX Championship team. In 1995, Cerrato was promoted to Director of Player Personnel, overseeing all college scouting and draft activities as well as pro scouting of NFL players and opponents.

Notre Dame

Before the NFL, Cerrato served as the football recruiting coordinator under Lou Holtz at the University of Notre Dame. During that time, the Irish played in four Bowl games and won the 1988 NCAA National Championship."

Posted by: Barno1 | April 22, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Cerrato is definitely a female cleaning tool but Im glad he threw JC under the bus. It makes me feel better about our OL, Kyle Shanahan's press conf on the skins website put things in perspective along the line and he likes what he sees. JC made horrible decisions and never got on the same page as his WRs. Aaron Rogers was a sacked machine last year and Big Rape has been sacked more than any other QB over the past 5 years. F JC, the dude is so big and pretty mobile, has a rocket arm and is a pretty calm dude back there. He shouldnt be as poppy as he is.

Posted by: AnthonyMix | April 22, 2010 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AnthonyMix
___________________________________________

In the context of Vinny's rant, I'd have to disagree. Remember Joe Theismann had to change the way his name was pronounced so it would rhyme with "Heisman" to try to get national recognition. He then had to earn his way into the NFL after a stint in the CFL. When he came to the Skins, Sonny and Billy conspired to keep him off of the field and in the 3rd position. He had to ask to return punts just to get on the field.

Sound like what Vinny's talking about here? I don't think so.

That said, for two years straight Theismann was the best QB in the league. Great coach, fantastic scheme, great running back, excellent wide outs, and most of all.... gotta love 'dem HOGS!

Posted by: BenThere | April 22, 2010 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato= Dear In the Headlights, Bum. I'd rather watch grass grow than listen to anything he has to say.

Posted by: 4472jon | April 22, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Way to throw JC under the bus Vinny! By the way, wasn't it your job to FIND us that
franchise quarterback? May THAT'S why sorry hide is at ESPN.

Posted by: hogwash1 | April 22, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Stupid is as stupid does.

Posted by: mofares | April 22, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Kindergarten Ninja.

Posted by: pcole7 | April 22, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato wasn't a good GM therefore he must be a terrible human being

Pretty sad how the average Redskins fan thinks.

I think the stuff he did for George Michael when he was dying, the stuff he's done for charity etc, shows he actually is a pretty good guy. But Redskins fans think because he didn't draft O-linemen in the first round back when the team actually had an excellent O-line means that he is pure scum of the earth.

grow up people

Posted by: Barno1 | April 22, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Vinny nailed the Orakpo pick last year, no doubt. Credit where credit is due.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | April 22, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Yep, and the previous draft was the best Redskins draft in at least 25 years (excluding 2000 when we had the number 2 and 3 overall picks)

Posted by: Barno1 | April 22, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Barno1

Vinny Cerato was NEVER given credit or mentioned for assembling those San Fran teams of the 80's, the 49'ers glory decade. They did win in 1994 with Steve Young, but what did Vinny ahve to do with that team? Most of the team, the CORE members, were assembled by others. His legacy was what was left of the 49'ers, that pathetic team at the end of the 90's until now that couldn't get out of his own way. Just as he has done the same to the Redskins. This time, he had some help from the owners.

As for Notre Dame, didn't they go on probabtion for the Lou Holtz years?

Not a sermon, just some observations. To me, Vinny brings OUTSTANDING comedy. I just want to know who he has pictures of, and how that keeps getting him jobs.

Posted by: Leeguru | April 22, 2010 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Looks like someone is once again up on their soapbox preaching to others, and this time said is defending good 'ol Kindergarten Ninja.

Priceless.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 22, 2010 6:37 PM | Report abuse

"Vinny nailed the Orakpo pick last year, no doubt. Credit where credit is due.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder"

A blind, deaf and dumb monkey could've made that pick...and some may argue that's who did.

Posted by: Naterade | April 22, 2010 6:47 PM | Report abuse

@Leeguru. Thank you for that. I was just getting ready to as Barno1 why the H is he talking about Vinny like he built the San Francisco Dynasty. Young and the core of that '95 Super Bowl team was already in place. If I can remember correctly, and no Barno1 it ain't worth a google, didn't they bring in Deion that offseason to lock down that half of the field? That pushed the D over the top.

Posted by: BigTee13 | April 22, 2010 7:29 PM | Report abuse

Didn't say he built the 9ers teams of the 80s, but he was director scouting and director of player personnel for 9 years with the best organization in football (at the time) and prior to that was the recruiting coordinator for the best football program in America (at the time). Me thinks the Notre Dame and San Fran people knew what they were doing when they hired and promoted Vinny. And I think ESPN knows what they are doing.

If you can't bring yourself to admit he is a respected talent evaluator, you're just being willfully ignorant.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 22, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Vinnie lobbied for Claussen and it failed. (As of midnight, Claussen is still not selected.) Then Vinnie predicted that the 'Skins would select Okung. Wrong again. And that playoff caliber team Cerrato handed to Zorn? It was dreadful even before Samuels and Thomas went down. And how about Vinnie's "white lie" about not talking to the Dolphins in 2008 as we were actually negotiating for Jason Taylor which by the way was another coup of Vinnie's--we only gave up a number 2 last year and a number 6 this year for a guy who played 6 games. I wonder what role Cerrato played as VP for Football Operations in landing Albert Haynesworth for $100 million? Then to have thrown Zorn and Jason C, under the bus after he got canned...how can the guy sleep at night? He helped make us the laughing stock of the NFC East.

Posted by: jetnarongaolcom | April 22, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------------------

It's always fun to watch you try and spin Vinnie's resume

His entire draft class as San Fran director of player personell
1995:
10 San Francisco J.J. Stokes WR UCLA
127 San Francisco Tim Hanshaw G Brigham Young
201 San Francisco Antonio Armstrong DE Texas A&M
238 San Francisco Herbert Coleman DE Trinity, Ill.

1996:
89 San Francisco Chris Ruhman T Texas A&M
119 San Francisco Lance Schulters SS Hofstra
151 San Francisco Phil Ostrowski G Penn State
180 San Francisco Fred Beasley FB Auburn
215 San Francisco Ryan Thelwell WR Minnesota
1999
24 San Francisco Reggie McGrew DT Florida (Reggie McWho???)
89 San Francisco Chike Okeafor DE Purdue
99 San Francisco Anthony Parker CB Weber State
110 San Francisco Pierson Prioleau SS Virginia Tech (bingo!)
157 San Francisco Terry Jackson FB Florida
161 San Francisco Tyrone Hopson G Eastern Kentucky
171 San Francisco Tai Streets WR Michigan
234 San Francisco Kory Minor OLB Notre Dame

Well, out of 5 years of picks, I guess picking exactly one pro bowler is something to be proud of. He certainly set them up for years to come with future Steve Young replacement Jim Druckenmiller. Since Vinnie was such an important part of the San Fran 80's and 90's success, I guess that's also why one of the first things Bill Walsh did upon returning to the 49ers in 2000 was fire Vinnie.

Posted by: jbanks979 | April 23, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

Listeningin to Vinnie critique other team draft choices made me glad to see that even though now he is a big-time commentator, he still hasn't lost the total lack of self-awareness as to personnel evaluation skills that he had as draft guru for the Skins.

Posted by: sparman | April 23, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

"Vinnie lobbied for Claussen and it failed. (As of midnight, Claussen is still not selected.)"

No on saw that coming.

"Then Vinnie predicted that the 'Skins would select Okung. Wrong again."

Yeah and if the Skins drafted Okung you'd have whined that he still has influence with Snyder.

"And that playoff caliber team Cerrato handed to Zorn? It was dreadful even before Samuels and Thomas went down."

They were on their way to 3-2 when we lost Samuels.

"And how about Vinnie's "white lie" about not talking to the Dolphins in 2008 as we were actually negotiating for Jason Taylor"

Ok Jason La Canfora. Newsflash: Every GM in every professional sport in this country misleads the public from time to time. But I don't see you accusing any of them of lying.

Posted by: jetnarongaolcom | April 22, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | April 23, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

That's about the biggest endorsement of Jason Campbell 17 that I have EVER heard in my life, from ANYONE.

If the Vinnie says it was all your fault...

They gotta keep this guy. I see Todd Collins II next year in JC17.

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 24, 2010 3:53 AM | Report abuse

By the way, Barno1 (I know it's you, Vinnie. Nobody else would bother to defend you), Vinnie (you) were not a GM, so don't compare to GMs of other teams.

You, if you recall, were Vice President of Raquetball and Brown-Nosing... which you used to supplement your royalties from Kindergarten Cop.

Campbell would have made a better GM than you ever would.

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 24, 2010 3:56 AM | Report abuse

"Cocaine's a powerful drug."

Tip for Vinnie:

Invest in Sunglasses. Never remove them. Ever.

Everyone will know you're high on cocaine.

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 24, 2010 4:00 AM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato cost Vinny Cerrato his job. Ignorance = VC! So glad he is gone and Bruce Allen is on board.

Posted by: ladyredskins | April 24, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

always amused when someone spends too much time living in the past.

Posted by: crs-1 | April 25, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

always amused when someone spends too much time living in the past.

Posted by: crs-1 | April 25, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse