Cerrato's prediction: Okung to Redskins

Redskins former executive vice president of awkward laughter Vinny Cerrato was on the Mike Wise Show on Wednesday, continuing to promote his upcoming draft work with ESPN Radio, and he offered a mock top 10. Sort of.

(And to those of you who have pleaded with me to stop posting about Vinny Cerrato, sorry. You lose. Check back in 2015. Maybe I'll have gotten over it.)

Anyhow, Cerrato included three offensive tackles in his top nine picks, which caused the earth's plates to shift around a bit. And he predicted one of them would go to the Redskins, which probably makes sense, inasmuch as he won't be the guy making that pick.

"I would say Russell Okung, Oklahoma State offensive tackle," Cerrato predicted. "Big kid, smart kid, three-and-a-half year graduate. Leader of that football team. Similar type personality as Chris Samuels. So I could see Russell Okung going there, or outside chance Trent Williams, tackle from Oklahoma. I could see either one. One of those two."

Cerrato was asked what the team's biggest need is, and somehow, he didn't say punter or wide receiver.

"Let me just say this, I think getting Donovan McNabb was an outstanding move," Cerrato replied. "It's similar to when Mike Shanahan went to Denver and Elway was pretty much the same age. And I think Mike Shanahan is not a good coach, he's a great coach. So I think they would have won nine games no matter who was the quarterback before they got McNabb. Now I think the expectations will be really good, because the offense will be phenomenal.

"Going back to who I think that pick will be, to me the most glaring need is replacing Chris Samuels. And you've got Russell Okung or Trent Williams that will probably be taken off the board at that time, I would think."

Then Wise asked about the Albert Haynesworth imbroglio.

"You know what Mike, I don't know, because I haven't really followed," Cerrato said. "I haven't read a Washington Post in years, so I really haven't followed it at all."

"C'mon," Holden Kushner said.

"Swear to God," Cerrato insisted. "I have a USA Today in my bag right now."

Cerrato was asked if he reads the Baltimore Sun, since he's moving to Charm City.

"No," he said. "You know what, I read the Internet."

So, Washingtonpost.com?

"Why would I want to read The Post when all I'm gonna do is get upset?" Cerrato asked.

Well, even if he isn't reading this, I'll go ahead and publish Cerrato's answer when asked to judge his own drafting prowess with the Skins.

"I think we had some pretty good picks," he said. "Because a lot of the high picks that we had were Pro Bowl guys. And I think we didn't have a lot of picks, but I think the picks that we had, most of them came in and contributed and did kind of what we thought. Sean Taylor, I don't think anybody realized, might have been one of the best players in the history of the game. And [Brian] Orap-ko was a Pro Bowler as a rookie at pick 13. A lot of the guys I think contributed and played well. There's always some that you wished would have done better, but that's pretty normal."

Best pick ever?

"Well, you'd have to say probably Sean Taylor or Chris Samuels," Cerrato answered. "Chris Samuels, 7-time Pro bowler. Sean Taylor might have been an 8-, 10-time Pro Bowler if he wouldn't have been shot and killed. So I think those two were head and shoulders above. Orap-ko's got a chance to be a Pro Bowler for a long time too. So I think those are some of the guys that come to my mind quickly."

(Yes, he's still saying Orap-ko. Wow, do I miss him.)

Wise also asked Cerrato if he missed being in Ashburn at this time of year.

"Oh, absolutely," he said. "You're sitting in the room for 15 hours at a time, watching tape and evaluating guys. This is when it's fun. Game time, you know?"

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 21, 2010; 2:34 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Redskins fans are incurable optimists
Next: A gallery of Nationals Elvises

Comments

"And to those of you who have pleaded with me to stop posting about Vinny Cerrato, sorry. You lose. Check back in 2015. Maybe I'll have gotten over it"

What make you think you will be around that long?

Posted by: isthatallthereis | April 21, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato would read the USA Today.

Posted by: Andymr | April 21, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

And since Cerrato thinks that, we should do the exact opposite.

Posted by: SA-Town | April 21, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

I didn't know Vinnie could read.

Posted by: junkmail0153 | April 21, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

As stated earlier if Vinny thinks it then it'll be the opposite...do any of you folks WP sports department work? I've been reading the same old crap for two days now all you did was rearrange the paragraphs and give the story a new headline...geesh

Posted by: papaskynz | April 21, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I love it Steinz, keep it up.

Posted by: jpfterps | April 21, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

The way he talks about it being "fun" in the draft room sounds like a guy sitting at home playing Madden, and unfortunately, he probably ran the team like that too."

Cerrato: Sweet, can I unlock this John Elway card in real life?

Posted by: superyoda41 | April 21, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Should have asked him why the he11 he would not build that O-line while he was here? What an Idiot!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 21, 2010 4:12 PM | Report abuse

I never can get enough Vinny. So fitting he reads USA Today, which is on a 4th grade level (all the charting aside).

Posted by: HogsHaven | April 21, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

Still bringing up the name of Vinny? Serenity now!! Serenity now!!

Posted by: boyn4884 | April 21, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

It's gotten to the point where I can actually hear his annoying voice while I'm reading his quotes.

Steinz, I hope you ride the Cerrato pony until it drops. He deserves to be lampooned endlessly, and you are just the guy to do it.

Posted by: yampaco | April 21, 2010 4:51 PM | Report abuse

Dude just needs to shut up.

The more he says "Okung" the more I don't like the pick.

Seriously, he killed an organization. It's like listening to Matt Millen try and explain football on Sundays knowing he doesn't know WTF he's talking about.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 21, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

Vinnie can read alright. That's why he wont look at the comments in the Post. Although I don't know why he would take offense. It's not his fault this team sucks. I think that any of you could admit that you would take three receivers in a second round. I know that I would in the second line, I mean round.

Posted by: coastallp74 | April 21, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

I love the revisionist history. Going into 2006, many experts were calling the Redskins offensive line the best in the NFL. Samuels, Dockery, Rabach, Thomas, and Jansen were all essentially in their prime and if we had used high round picks on O-linemen the fans would have been furious. We were in the playoffs with that line in the Januaries of 06 and 08 (though by 08 Dockery was gone). And going into the 08 draft, we were all high on Stephon Heyer--who had played great as a rookie filling in for the injured Jansen the year before. We all even thought we had depth there, with both Jansen and Heyer coming back at the same position. But then a funny thing happened...though all had been playing at a very high level, Samuels, Jansen, and Randy Thomas all got old quickly and the injuries derailed all of their careers.

But now everyone forgets how they felt about our O-line a few years back and have decided that they wanted to stock pile O-lineman years ago (completely disregarding the fact that a few years ago we had what was considered an excellent O-line).

Gotta love 20/20 hindsight

Posted by: Barno1 | April 21, 2010 6:14 PM | Report abuse

Who gives a rats a$$ about who thought what 2 years ago. Have you appointed yourself the official historian as well being the monitor of negative postings? In the present, the line sucks. If they don't fix it, the Skins are still going to suck!

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | April 21, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? Um, seems to me that just about everyone on this blog cares that Vinny didn't draft linemen several years back.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 21, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Lighten up Barno, this is just a bunch of guys talking about a team. Vinny is a big boy. He doesn't need your protection

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | April 21, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

God forbid someone comment on this thread without attacking Cerrato.

OVIE! Nice goal

Posted by: Barno1 | April 21, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Poor Vinnie. Why not just let him fade away. He came up with a small handful on very good picks in TEN freakin' years!
RIP Vinnie

Posted by: pd2710 | April 21, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Steinz,

You are more than welcome to keep posting about Vinny.

I will continue not to click on the links though.

Go Caps Go