Chris Cooley gets pulled over during radio interview

At this point in my storied career, I've transcribed dozens and dozens of Redskins radio interviews. It's like a horrible cliche now. I could do them in my sleep. I think I have. They all start to sound the same.

And yet never have I been able to transcribe a Redskins radio interview that included a guest appearance from an officer of the law.

"Hold on guys, I'm getting pulled over, so hang on," Chris Cooley said during Tuesday morning's appearance with the Sports Junkies on 106.7 The Fan.

Then the officer of the law showed up and began talking.

"Yeah, I apologize," Cooley said to him, still on the air. "I'll take it easy there."

When the officer went back to his car, Cooley explained what happened; he had rounded a corner near his house and drifted out of his lane, which the officer found to be an unsafe practice. Cooley had his seatbelt on, and was not speeding.

"Wait, he's coming back," Cooley said. "You guys talk."

As you might have guessed, Cooley was not ticketed for his infraction. He thanked the officer by name on the air, which is the perk you deserve if you pull over an athlete during a radio interview.

"I don't think there's a real ticket you can give for that," he said of his maneuver. "Nonsense driving, maybe. It was fine. Everything was fine."

Like I said, that was a first. Now I just need to transcribe a Redskins radio interview conducted from a golf course porta-potty, from a mountain-climbing expedition, and from underwater.

Cooley, if you're curious, also talked about NFL football. He admitted that the Redskins "were in bad shape last year, from the top down," and said Mike Shanahan's offense will better take advantage of the team's personnel.

"The offense is just a little more advanced from the last offense," he said. "It's still the same terminology, which is nice for me. So all the formations are called the same, a lot of the routes are called the same. It's adding extra elements to everything. We don't run the same plays out of the same formations every time. You kind of have to learn concepts of the offense, because you're doing different things all the time. Last year I ran like seven routes, total. So it's a more involved kind of moving everyone, getting everyone to know what they do type of offense."

Cooley said he wasn't bothered by trade rumors, saying he'd been a productive player for years and probably wouldn't have fetched more than a third-round pick in any case. He emphasized that "everyone" has been at Redskins Park, hitting the weight room in groups of 20, and said "It feels like a winning attitude to me, for a guy that hardly ever wins."

He said his lasting memory of the Zorn era will be "how bad we honestly were," calling last year's team "a pure disaster" and "an embarrassment." And he had nothing but praise for his new bosses.

"The quarterback in my opinion is the most important position in sports," Cooley said. "And yeah, I love Jason and I think he's an awesome guy, I'm happy for where he is now, but Donovan is a guy that's proved to be a winner. He's proved to win. So you can't take that for granted. I think that's a huge step up for us in that position.

"Another thing that I like about Mike Shanahan is that he puts players in position to succeed. He moves things around. He uses the field. He uses his players at their advantage. I felt like that was something that we didn't do as well last year; we tried to say our scheme was just good enough to beat people, we're good enough by calling plays to just beat people.

"And I think what we'll do more this year is put people in advantageous situations, especially our offensive line. Where we were last year, you can't just say everything's fixed. So you take advantage of zone schemes, you're not trying to knock guys off the ball. I mean, our center weighs 290 pounds, it's not like he's driving nose tackles five yards off the ball. So we're gonna let guys run, we're gonna try to open up holes that way.

"We bring in a couple outstanding backs. I mean, both Willie Parker and Larry Johnson have looked fantastic so far through mini-camp, and Clinton as well, so we should be able to be very successful running the ball. It's been amazing watching this offense on film with what they've been able to do....I guess I think we'll be much better. I just like the way they coach."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 27, 2010; 2:11 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Capitals turn off message board
Next: Leonsis, Ovechkin and D.C. sports celebrity

Comments

F1srt!!!

Posted by: scooby1369 | April 27, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Did the officer ask CC why his pants were on the ground?

Posted by: rdpinva | April 27, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

How can anyone not love this guy?

Posted by: Barno1 | April 27, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

It was a really good interview, very funny. Go to the 1067 website, sports junkies podcasts, hour 4 and download it.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 27, 2010 3:37 PM | Report abuse

it happens...

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | April 27, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

since 980 doesn't compete in this time slot, I had the radio on 106.7.Chris was so nan-chalante and easy going about it.Even thoguh he painted his hair, last year to show off, he can be likeable...

Posted by: Hattrik | April 27, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

hang up and drive doosh bags. Cooley, I love you brother, but you don't need to be THAT guy.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 27, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I like Chris but it's called distracted driving and it's unsafe. Not a good practice to conduct interviews with someone driving.

I've seen too many cell phone induced accidents.

Posted by: rrosen3 | April 27, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

Any two TE sets in this new offense?

Posted by: kahlua87 | April 27, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I like Cooley. He's one of the few Redskins I do like. But, maybe he should have gotten a ticket. Obviously he was talking on the phone while driving. What is not mentioned in the article is if he was using a hands free device. And even if he wasn't he was driving in a reckless manner and could have caused an accident. Perhaps the officer knew who he was talking to at some point and let it slide. Now I'm not wishing any ill will on Cooley, but I for one am wishing that the local police would start enforcing these cell phone laws that were put on the books. I have on more than one occasion seen drivers almost cause accidents while talking on the phone while driving.

Posted by: MrT55 | April 27, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

What's funny is last year whenever any poster on here would point out just how bad the 'Skins were they would get labeled, by a certain copy/pasting poster, as pretty much a fakey-fan.

Yet, we have Cooley, doing basically the exact same thing and said poster is ready to gobble up Cooley's man-junk.

Gotta love hypocrisy.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 27, 2010 5:49 PM | Report abuse

hindsite 20/20

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 27, 2010 6:52 PM | Report abuse

OF COURSE he was "hands-free," people!

People with money have their cars wired and mic'd.

An old girlfriend of mine had her stereo automatically reduce volume when she received a call. Microphone was in her visor. Voice came through the speakers. And that was 12 years ago.

I doubt Cooley was riding around clutching his Nokia to his head. Please.

And for the record, hands-free aint all it's cracked up to be. I can drive fine with a phone on my head, but my ex would still get all distracted even though she could answer the phone by pressing a button on the steering wheel.

Some people can drive fine and talk. A lot of people cannot. She'd start a conversation in the fast lane going 75 and 2 minutes into it, she's still in the fast lane, cars piled up behind her, going 60.

Never understood that. Yeah, hands-free. Go figure

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 28, 2010 3:29 AM | Report abuse

wow it's amazing. totally amazing, if there is a reason to complain you guys will find it. no matter what the article is about, scroll down to comments and you guys are jumping over each other to put in the biggest complaint. you're like those two old guys in the balcony on the muppet show , you're just there to complain...some fan

Posted by: nflorida1 | April 28, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

INTERESTING that of course your article forgets to mention one of the most important parts of that interview, which is where Cooley is talking about HAYNESWORTH, and how the players have been talking to him, and that they expect him to be joining them here shortly......BUT THEN AGAIN, i guess that would go against the whole ANTI-REDSKINS CAMPAIGN that the Washington Poopst likes to spin towards the Redskins....and would further weaken their whole anti-Haynesworth Crusade!!!

Posted by: frmi | April 28, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

If he was in Virginia there is no law banning cell usage while driving if you are over 19 years old and not on a learners permit.

Posted by: fred35 | April 28, 2010 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, Fred but driving distracted in Virginia does carry a fine. Sooner than later the people will come to their senses just like they did over smoking bans and the laws will change. Who the heck are all you grown ups acting like teenagers who don't know when it's appropriate to be a chatty cathy talking to anyway?

Hang up and drive.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2010 9:07 AM | Report abuse

nflorida1, you are spot on brother. I too get sick and tired of EVERY single article being filled up with one complaint after another, and it doesnt matter what the topic is!! But as Ive said in other post, THEY are the true fans, they know everything, they have all the answers......Sometimes I wish that if THEY are so fed up and discusted with the Skins that they would go somewhere else. Nothing will ever make them happy. The Skins could win 10 Superbowls in a row AND THEY STILL WOULD FIND SOMETHING TO B!TCH ABOUT!!!

Posted by: SkinEm1 | April 28, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Criminey you panty wastes need to get over your self important selves.

"oh he was driving and talking!!! Save the planet before he kills us all!!!"

Morons.

Posted by: SkinsfaninKaneohe | April 28, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

I've never understood the anti-cell phone while driving people. What is the functional difference between talking on the phone while driving and talking to a passenger while driving with a cup of coffee? Both require you to drive one handed while carrying on a conversation. Perhaps we should ban folks from driving with passengers? Or perhaps ban folks driving with drinks in their hands? You guys are lame. Also, Cooley is awesome.

Posted by: AhhYes | April 28, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

cOOLEY - "Another thing that I like about Mike Shanahan is that he puts players in position to succeed"

Really? - Tell that to Fat Albert Haynesworth!!!

Posted by: ecartola | April 28, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

AhhYess, you're lame. Have you even been walking in a crosswalk with your child in a stroller and had to jump out of the way of some idiot who's too caught up in a conversation to READ the ROAD? Well I have, made me want to wake the @$$hole up by throwing a brick through the windshield. If anyone's lame...

@SkinsfaninKaneohe, for someone living in Paradise you sure still have your blockheaded urban persona in check. It is illegal to talk on a cell and drive in Hawaii to BTW. Hang up and drive.
And much Aloha, I went to High School in Kailua!
LOL>

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

DadRyan - I'm not a father, so no. But I have been hit by a car before as a pedestrian, and he wasn't talking on the phone. You also didn't answer my question. What is the functional difference between talking on the phone while driving and talking to a passenger with a cup of coffee in one hand? None. People are dumb and do other things while driving. Phones aren't the problem.

Posted by: AhhYes | April 28, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

_____
Awesome just not very good.. another guy not sad to see Jason leave..

Posted by: sovine08 | April 28, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Wait, did he just throw Jason Campbell (his friend?) under the bus? Pull a subtle Clinton Portis? Look, whatever criticisms Cooley has/had of Jason, he could have articulated, "Jason had a tough year, I'm sure he'll light it up in Oakland...I'm excited Donovan's here...we're all looking to the future..." Well, that's the stand-up thing I would've said about my "friend" and former teammate.

Posted by: Keliza64 | April 28, 2010 10:46 AM | Report abuse

I have no patience for Cooley's "infraction" while he was doing press. I've just had one too many close calls to say "atta boy" like some of man-crush sentiments I've read here.

Once, some stupid driver, naturally on a cell phone, came inches, INCHES, from hitting my dog while I crossed the street. My dog was leashed but had I not been alert my dog would've been seriously injured or killed. No doubt.

Another time, I came within a hair from getting pounded side on when a cell phone yakker pulled out of a parking lot. Again, I caught it in time to avoid injury. Both times the drivers NEVER saw me, and like another poster mentioned here, I wanted to throw bricks. Hard.

Folks, this is like driving while buzzed - you're still drinking and driving.

Posted by: Keliza64 | April 28, 2010 11:01 AM | Report abuse

You can't just assume he was fands free....but I think that was likly....

He got off cuz when he typed in the license plate #, it came up as Chris Cooooley....not just some random no name Negreo......Why did the officer pull him over in the 1st place? When you swerve, they think you might be drunk...They don't pull people over just for courtesy advice....

Posted by: 4thFloor | April 28, 2010 11:17 AM | Report abuse

"Another thing that I like about Mike Shanahan is that he puts players in position to succeed."

Bingo!

We have a weiner. :P

My biggest issue with the previous regime.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | April 28, 2010 11:28 AM | Report abuse

_____
Awesome just not very good.. another guy not sad to see Jason leave..

Posted by: sovine08 | April 28, 2010 10:30 AM |
_______________________________________

Couldn't agree more.

Posted by: dc1020008 | April 28, 2010 11:46 AM | Report abuse

Shanahan may put guys in a better position to be successful, but one No. 1 pick and LT and Artis Hicks won't make this into a good O-Line. Anyone who watches much football (and not just the Redskins) knows games are won in the trenches with the key being your ability to rush the opposing teams' passer and force mistakes AND protect your own.

It may take 2-3 drafts and free agency to bring the Redskins line back to average as Rabach, Dockery, and Hicks are all run of the mill guys - not one Pro Bowl appearance between them.

Posted by: wizfan89 | April 28, 2010 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: AhhYes | April 28, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I can think of at least two differences. First, when you're talking to a passenger, the passenger can see you, so you can communicate through gestures and body language. You don't need to divert as much of your attention to the conversation. Second, the passenger can see the road, and can therefore pay attention to hazards that you might be overlooking.

But that's not really the point. Of course driving with one hand while talking to a passenger is distracting, and of course driving while talking a mobile phone is distracting. But are they equally distracting? Probably not. Is driving while talking on the phone as socially beneficial as driving while carrying passengers? Of course not. So we're not going to ban driving with passengers. But we might, and probably should, ban driving while talking on a phone.

Sorry if that interferes with anyone's ill-conceived excuses for irresponsible behavior.

Posted by: AhhNo | April 28, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

Look, I sort of agree with Ahhyes, and think Dadryan is being a little crazy, but the statistics do back up the fact that cellphones are more distracting than passengers, radios, coffee, etc. There are tons of stats to that effect.

However, all these people who almost got hit (especially if with a dog or baby carriage), maybe you should look in the mirror. Pedestrians can't just jump in front of cars and then blame the car. If the driver is not looking but you walk anyways, you are jointly culpable. I think the most dangerous thing is pedestrians who expect drivers to see them in all circumstances yet take no responsibility. There are blind spots, there are mistakes made; pedestrians need to ensure that they are seen - especially with a baby carriage. If your baby carriage came within inches of being hit, it's YOUR FAULT.

Posted by: Urnesto | April 28, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

they should have traded cooley!

Posted by: mwashington | April 28, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I apologize sincerely for the derail.

On Topic: Does anyone know if Shanahan frequently used two tight end formations in Denver? I'd like to see Cooley and Davis on the field at the same time pretty often.

Posted by: AhhYes | April 28, 2010 7:27 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it illegal to be talking on your phone and driving? Why did not this p.p-exhibitionist get a ticket??

Posted by: sugarstreet | April 28, 2010 7:38 PM | Report abuse

depends on where you're driving sugarstreet. Of course it is in say DC, Hawaii, and the rest of the socialist regimes...still not illegal in VA, but who'd have ever thunk that they'd outlaw smoking cigarettes in southern holdouts like VA and even North Carolina?
Raise UP! Take your shirt off! Twist it round' your head like a helicopter!

Posted by: DadRyan | April 28, 2010 11:13 PM | Report abuse

To all the Jason Campbell haters: When McNabb comes up injured and we have WHO?? coming in to play quarterback, we'll shake our heads and realize that JC got better every year with not a damn thing to work with. And could take a lickin' and keep on tickin'.

I applaud McNabb, but he's been injured every year the last few. Yes, he is an improvement being an established player who is great at QB and has been to the Super Bowl, but if the blocking isn't 100% better and if the runners start to look old, and the receiving corp underachieves, then McNabb will need some of Jason's toughness 'cause he will get blasted.

JC will wind up on a good team someday and be in the Superbowl.

I hope to God McNabb is the man, Shanahan's plans work and they find a nose tackle and get Haynesworth at end in the 3-4 and havoc tackle in the 4-3. Let this man do what he did in Tennessee.

All in all a lot of ifs but, then hey if it breaks right . . .
Amen

Posted by: chocobear78 | April 29, 2010 6:17 AM | Report abuse

Seriously, you don't believe this team has a chance this year.
Cooley, would have been traded if i ran the team. Nice guy but he could have bought me a offensive lineman.

The game is won in the trenches first.

Shanahan must go!

Posted by: shamken | April 29, 2010 8:07 AM | Report abuse

I agree, trade him. Who cares what he says. He is a big blabber mouth. He would look great in Silver and Black....

Posted by: dmlopez1 | April 30, 2010 12:42 AM | Report abuse

Wow just Wow!! first off the interviewer should insist that a person pull over when doing an interview over a cell phone! far to much of a distraction, and just flat out to risky, sure plenty of people can do it with no problem, but it's still a risk.

@ Urnesto are you freakin kidding me! just because she had a stroller in noway means it was her fault! that's just an asinine statement, they guy could have turned at a light while she was in the middle of the crosswalk and not seen her because he was talking on his cell, his light could have turned green as he was approaching the intersection and she had not finished crossing yet or any other number of things, to say it was her fault without seeing it is crazy.

Lets say she did cross when she should not have been in the crosswalk, the pedestrian always has the right away, ever heard of that? this does not mean that it's never the pedestrians fault, what it means is the driver of a vehicle is always to maintain control of the vehicle they are driving, this includes being able to stop before hitting someone if they walk out in front of you.

Sure there are cases where hitting the person is completely unavoidable, like a friend of mine who ran into the side of a VW bus, but does it really matter who's at fault when someone is hit? no it really doesn't, the point is to do everything you can for that not to happen.

I'm guilty of driving and talking on the phone myself, and I think there is a fine line when a conversation may become distracting, and by the time it does your so wrapped up in it most people won't think of pulling over, their mind is on the conversation, so maybe we need to do away with talking and driving all together. I would think an interview would be very distracting, especially with the year the Skins had last year! LOL

Posted by: DDunnuck | April 30, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse