Daryll Clark on joining the Redskins

(By Gene J. Puskar - AP)

For the second year in a row, the Redskins made contact with signed a record-setting undrafted free-agent QB from a powerhouse college program just after the NFL draft ended, and for the second-straight year, fans immediately got irrationally excited. A year ago, it was Chase Daniel from Missouri. This time, it was Penn State's Daryll Clark, a No. 17 to replace the Caps' Chris Clark and some other guy on the Redskins.

Like Daniel, Clark's name is all over his school's record book; he holds the marks for most career touchdown passes, most touchdown passes in one season and most passing yards in one season at Penn State. He went 21-5 as a starter, and was the Big 10's co-MVP as a senior, along with Michigan's Brandon Graham. Graham was chosen 13th overall in the draft. Clark just kept waiting.

"As a kid I dreamed to always see my name go across the scroll on draft day," he told LaVar Arrington and Chad Dukes this week. "Unfortunately, it didn't happen. It hurt me a little bit. Washington came along and gave me a shot, and I intend on coming down there with a chip on my shoulder as big as a boulder to show people I'm able to compete with the best. That's all....

"I was told that Arizona was interested, I was told that Carolina was interested. Fourth round, fifth round went by. I said, 'Ok, maybe something else might happen, something I don't know.' Sixth round, toward the end of the seventh round I was like 'Ok, maybe this wasn't meant to be.'

"So I was upset, it's human, I was a little upset about the whole thing. The dream kind of got a little shaken up a little bit, but within 10 minutes I got a call from my agent. He still had his spirits high, he called to make sure that my morale was still high, and he told me that Washington wanted me to come down and give it a workout."

Clark said he was compared to a young Donovan McNabb during his collegiate career, and he seemed particularly excited about joining him on the Redskins roster.

"I'm definitely bringing my pen and pad down to Washington once everything starts up," Clark said. "To learn from an experienced guy like himself, a very successful quarterback like himself is gonna be a true, true blessing, and I just can't wait to get it going."

After McNabb, the Redskins have Rex Grossman, Colt Brennan and Richard Bartel on their roster. Last year's coaching staff decided to go with just two quarterbacks coming out of training camp, which meant that the thousands and thousands of words we all wrote about Brennan and Daniel were sort of meaningless. But like both of them, Clark does not lack for confidence.

"I really don't turn the football over, I'm a very careful player," he told Arrington, when asked about his strengths. "I'm a...big-time student of the game. Whatever system I'm thrown in, I will make it my utmost [priority] to learn it inside and out before we take the football field....

"I definitely think that I'm a leader, carrying over from college on to the professional level....That's something that you have to learn from people that played ahead of you, and eventually I caught on to it and knew what I had to do, both on and off the field, and that's something that I'm gonna carry from Penn State on to Washington. Hopefully in the future I'll be a starter, and one thing that everyone will say about me is not only is he a great player, but he's a leader. He will will a team to victory, no matter the cost."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 27, 2010; 10:38 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Shanahan loves tailgate toss
Next: Capitals turn off message board

Comments

meep derp

Posted by: Scoonie97 | April 27, 2010 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I like it . . . this guy is better than Claussen, and hell, I'd say maybe beter than McCoy. 2017, watch out!

Posted by: Corvis777 | April 27, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

Interesting, I'm a Penn Stater and I could not ever recall a McNabb-Clark comparison.

Posted by: doubleuefwhy | April 27, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Dear Colt, Been nice knowing you!

Dear Richard, Been nice having you around!

Posted by: BenThere | April 27, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Well I give the guy an A+ for confidence and an F- for any kind of humility.

"not only is he a great player, he is a leader."

Have fun in training camp, buddy, cause you're never seeing the field.

Posted by: dwelkinor | April 27, 2010 12:16 PM | Report abuse

“Well I give the guy an A+ for confidence and an F- for any kind of humility.
"not only is he a great player, he is a leader."
Personally, I love people who walk into the place I've been working for the last several years and declare themselves my leader.”

I’m always amazed at the number of people that struggle with reading comprehension.

Hey dwelkinor; You may want to reread the article because..THAT'S NOT WHAT HE SAID!!!

Posted by: psuvo | April 27, 2010 2:36 PM | Report abuse

I watched a number of his games at Penn State last year and don't see Clark doing much of anything in the NFL; I doubt that he will even make the team (maybe the practice squad). He never struck me as having very good accuracy and wasn't the best decision-maker. Best of luck to him, though.

Posted by: Aerowaz | April 28, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

I support anyone who wants to come to Washington and fight for a job. I hope he puts up a great fight and demands consideration. Make the coaches select the best of the bunch and as long as they are all fighting for jobs, they can only make the whole team push harder and get better. I wish him luck.

Posted by: skins50 | April 28, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Fellow Penn Stater and life long 'Skins fan. I like Clark a lot and wish him nothing but the best with Washington.

But he has trouble with nerves. There was no reason PSU should have lost to Iowa last season except that Clark let his nerves get the best of him. There was a lot of pressure because he had lost unexpectedly to Iowa the year before and he said he was determined not to make the same mistake twice. But he did. If he can somehow overcome that (and at the pro level I image that will be tough), he will be huge addition to our team.

Posted by: brooklynpsu | April 30, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

clark is similar to mcnabb has a big arm, strong body and can take a hit along with running skills. He has more athletic talent than bartel,daniels and brennan put together. none of the qb's that were taken in the draft's higher rounds can take a hit other than tebow, clark throws the ball better than him the only reason he was NOT drafted is because white coaches" did not chose to do so.

Posted by: wathu19 | April 30, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse