Fred Smoot says he'll always be a part of D.C.

(By Ricky Carioti - TWP)

Back when the Redskins cut like 73 of their veterans during the Shanahan Purge, Fred Smoot just sort of disappeared from our lives, without warning. Antwaan Randle El, Ladell Betts, Rock Cartwright, Randy Thomas -- we heard farewell messages from all of these guys, whether on the radio or via the beat writers. But Fred Smoot, the man we probably heard more from over the years than all the rest combined, remained quiet, least as far as I could tell.

Well, over the weekend, he resurfaced in an interview with Kevin and Rock on The Fan, and it nearly made me tear up a bit. Dude knows how to work his audience.

"The thing about it is, D.C. loves me as much as much as I love D.C.," Smoot said. "I'm always gonna be a part of D.C. I'm actually in the process of starting a couple businesses up here. I'm bringing Waffle House to D.C. -- I think they've been yearning for it for a long time. My first location is right off 14th and U, so I'm gonna always be back and forth here, and D.C. know I love them.

"I had nothing to do with what happened, but I was prepared this last season. I knew my cap number was gonna be real high this year. And if you play football in this league long enough, you get a great feeling for what's gonna happen or what's going on, so nothing caught me off guard. And I had a long talk with Dan [Snyder], and like I told him, I enjoyed everything. Thanked him for the chance he gave me. What else can I say?"

Smoot mostly shut down his noise machine over the last couple years, first because of the Sean Taylor coverage, and then for another reason that I never exactly figured out. Still, he had talked frequently about his desire to get a front-office or media job one day, and it was obvious that he thought more about the overall direction of the franchise than some of his teammates. Even after his release, he approves.

"Man, I think they doing great," he said during the interview. "The restructuring they did over there, starting with the GM -- Buce Allen -- and Shanahan, they're doing a great job, they're getting the people they need. They're not trying to get the splash or the big names, they're getting people to fill spots that they need.

"And I think they're doing a good job, because you have to add Donovan McNabb to this draft. They gave up a pick for him, so you have to put him in this draft, and I think they're having a wonderful draft if you include him."

He said he is still exploring a couple options for next season, mentioning the Texans as one possibility -- "if you're playing in Texas, you get tax-free dollars," he noted. He said he's moving to Atlanta, and was in D.C. over the weekend packing up all his stuff.

He said he was happy to see Jason Campbell get another shot in Oakland --"he's gonna bring a lot to that locker room and to see him get a chance to start again, I think he's gonna be happy and I think the Redskins are happy," Smoot said. And he said he never stopped enjoying his time in Washington.

"Hey, that's the thing, I'm gonna go out there and I'm gonna have fun," Smoot said. "It's just not a job to me. It's a job to a lot of people, they just play the game because they want their check. I go out week to week and I have fun. And I think that's why the fans kind of gravitated towards me, because they could see that I'm out there having fun."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 26, 2010; 10:39 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: DeAngelo Hall says Skins will dominate NFC East
Next: Redskins fans have McNabb fever

Comments

If you really love DC then you would NOT open a Waffle House there.

Posted by: nadeemsx | April 26, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

If you really love DC then you would NOT open a Waffle House there.

Posted by: nadeemsx | April 26, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

There's nothing wrong with Waffle House

Posted by: ttn703 | April 26, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

There's nothing wrong with Waffle House

Posted by: ttn703 | April 26, 2010 11:18 AM | Report abuse

If you don't have taste buds. Or any knowledge of the industrialized food industry.

Posted by: supuradam | April 26, 2010 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Look, Waffle house is not my thing, but I know a lot of co-workers who are not locals have been crying about our lack of waffle houses in the district and will be happy to hear it.

Terrible location for it though. 14th and U is a bit to high class for WH.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 26, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Smoot is a class act. Look at his response to being cut versus Rock Cartwright's. Night and day.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 26, 2010 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Is 14 & U considered high class because White people hang around there now? Lol!!!...High class.

Posted by: jbworldwide | April 26, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I love me some Waffle House. Good idea, Smootie.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 26, 2010 11:59 AM | Report abuse

There's nothing wrong with Waffle House

Posted by: ttn703 | April 26, 2010 11:18 AM

Personally, I think their barf bag is the best in town.

Posted by: 44fx290 | April 26, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Barno1 | April 26, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Remember when our corners were Darrel Green (near prime), Champ Bailey (prime), and Smoot (prime)? We didn't even need a safety then.

Posted by: Section104 | April 26, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm surprised Smoot never referred to himself as Waffle House, because just like their hash browns, he kept receivers smothered and covered...

Posted by: EdTheRed | April 26, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

You guys have to realize that when you want an order of hash browns you need the best and that is Waffle House. Smothered, and covered then cooked extra is the best.

Posted by: homercles82 | April 26, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Waffle House is really down South thing and can't wait to eat there when it opens.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | April 26, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

SMOOOOOOOOOOOOOT

Posted by: destewar | April 26, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

But 'burnt to a crisp' at least every once in a while...as in 'toast'

Posted by: spambucket6 | April 26, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Section104 | April 26, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Actually it Green and Smoot only played together one year and it was Green's last year (at age 41) and Smoot's first (at age 22). Neither was close to their prime.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 26, 2010 2:39 PM | Report abuse

"What kind of side dishes will we be enjoying this evening with our waffles?"

Posted by: dcunitedfan3 | April 26, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Bringing a Waffle House to DC -- boss.

Bringing a second Waffle Shop to U Street -- would have been double-boss.

Posted by: bs2004 | April 26, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

It's not about the food, or sometimes even the service at Waffle House. It's the show. It's old school.

Posted by: coastallp74 | April 26, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

I hope he brings a Waffle House to Maryland.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | April 26, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

You're leaving a seedy Econo Lodge somewhere in the Carolinas after six hours' sleep.
Last night your band played to 30 people in some crap-hole bar.
The Waffle House beckons like a little piece of heaven.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | April 26, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse

I love that I saw the title of the article and the very first thing I thought was "Waffle House time?" Still waitin, bud

Posted by: JohnnyBlades | April 26, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Pffft....Huddle House is waaay better.

Posted by: pswift00 | April 26, 2010 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Smoot's not a bad guy. He's no D. Green or Champ Bailey, a bit of an alligator arm when a running back gets through to the corners, but whaddya gonna do? Cover guys that are willing to tackle are few and far between these days. I would imagine he's serviceable and someone will grab him up when injuries start in camp and beyond this year.

Posted by: JamesChristian | April 26, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Waffle Houses are wonderful places to meet skanky prostitutes while having an orange juice (from concentrate).

Posted by: kenk3 | April 26, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Of all the cuts this one was the one that surprised me the most. He did have a high cap number, and I don't know what the rules are on restructuring or renegotiating to take a pay cut, but in an uncapped year could that have really been it? What surprised me was he seems to be perfectly suited for FS. H can cover better than almost any safety out there, and he is willing to tackle. Even thoug hhe didn't make every INT, he had the best hands of anyone in our db corp except Hall. This would allow Landry to go back to SS and our secondary would be a lot better. Not to mention we seem to always be thin at CB at the end of each year due to injury and he could fill in in a pinch if needed. Factor in the locker room personality and it was not a good move cutting him. I hope if he wants to play he is picked up somewhere now that the draft is over.

Posted by: dbrine1261 | April 26, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

I always liked Smoot's personality, but I hated seeing him get scorched/run over towards the tail-end of his tenure here...

Meanwhile, true or false? A person can spend $20 on a Waffle House meal and STILL not be full when it's gone?

TRUE

Posted by: ntlekt | April 26, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry, but Fred Smoot just became my hero. Not only was he a hell of a player, but having gone to Radford University, I fell in love with the Waffle House and think it sucks to have to drive all the way out to exit 152 down 95 to get crispy waffley goodness. Have fun wherever you go, Fred... I, for one, will be supporting your Waffle House.

Posted by: EddieP1 | April 26, 2010 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Smoot is one of my all time favorites

Posted by: dingersoll1 | April 26, 2010 5:01 PM | Report abuse

What is this about if you play in Texas you get tax-free dollars?

Are NFL players down there the Lone Star version of IMF employees here?

Posted by: Georgetwoner | April 26, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Miss Ol' Smoot.

I'm thinking he could make a chunk o' change while having fun as Party Planner to NFL Players.

I mean, that Love Boat thing was a clue. Can you have more fun than that living in Minnesota?

I don't THINK so.

Smoot's got partying Skillz.

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 26, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Precisely! I would have thought something along the dinner cruises down the Potomac, with live entertainment, would be more his specialty.

Posted by: 21stCenturyCaveman | April 26, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Smoot was my man...

-BUT-

Being a native Washingtonian...Smoot would make a ton-o-cash with it being at 14th and U, but you'd probably need reservations...

The Waffle House has to be come as you are and a bit dusty but not filthy. It can't be too clean.

Posted by: rickyroge | April 26, 2010 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Hot diggity dang!!!! WAFFLE HOUSE IN DC!!!! I moved from Atlanta to this town 15 years ago and I've been praying for Waffle House to come here. I can't wait. And for all the WH haters here, you can all go suck it. A triple order of scattered, smothered, covered and chunked hash browns are concrete proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy (apologies, Ben) and I for one cannot wait to feel loved again.

Posted by: bhamilton30 | April 26, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, but Roscoe's chicken and waffles trumps anything mentioned in this thread so far.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 26, 2010 9:45 PM | Report abuse

Terrible location for it though. 14th and U is a bit to high class for WH.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 26, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse
========================================
I'm a local, born and raised here and never in a million years would I think I'd live to see someone say this after 1968 "14th and U is a bit to high class for WH."

By the way U street did have waffle house type restaurants, a couple of them as a matter of fact, probably before you were born though. I walked into Ben's Chilli Bowl the other day with some old Howard buddies of mine. I hadn't been there since 2000/2001 maybe and nearly crapped my pants. I had to get a picture of me inside, I thought I was in Georgetown.

Posted by: clark202 | April 26, 2010 10:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bhamilton30 | April 26, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse
================================
bhamilton you do know there are Waffle Houses in MD and VA, Cracker Barrels' too.

Posted by: clark202 | April 26, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

Be smart Smooot...don't live in the Atlanta area and open ANY business far away from there...first of all you can't manage a business long distance and the employees will rob you blind...

Small businesses fail at a high rate anyway so why compound the odds???? save your money, put it in a Money Market and move on..there is no goose laying a golden egg....and you need to sell that house first...

Posted by: pentagon40 | April 26, 2010 10:54 PM | Report abuse

i bet most people in dc when we go on a road trip, we stop at the waffle houses, i like waffle houses and i dont think 14th and U is in Wisconsin ave by Georgetown.

Posted by: ernestto25 | April 26, 2010 11:49 PM | Report abuse

"cut like 73 of their veterans"? Dan, Dan - it's hard enough to take the misused word "like" out of our verbal vocabulary without having to see it in print in something called journalism.

Posted by: bwaldrup | April 27, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

The Waffle House is a great idea. There won't be a lot of competition after 2am.

The comment about 14th & U Street being High Class was laughable. The demographic of the area has changed but calling it High Class is a bit extreme......it is a good hang out area though!

Posted by: Wes134 | April 27, 2010 10:09 AM | Report abuse

If you would like to hear the interview in it's entirety on the Kevin and Rock Show please check it out here.

Posted by: Rockdeep | April 27, 2010 12:44 PM | Report abuse

Well, if 14th & U doesn't work out, he could always do the H Street NE cooridor where the trolley car will be running and the new look of H street.

Posted by: weaverf | April 27, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse

Aw man... that was my wife and my dream, of hitting it rich and getting the franchise rights to Waffle House for the District. Stomach's growling just thinking of pecan waffles and sweet tea...

That said, if I'm going to go to 14th and U for Waffle House, I think I'd rather just go a few blocks closer to Wilson's at Georgia and V-- similar food, but local ownership. I'm just sayin'...

Posted by: Elnok | April 27, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I hope he brings a Waffle House to Maryland.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | April 26, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Dude, already happened. I know of one in Frederick. There are bound to be more too.

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | April 27, 2010 3:00 PM | Report abuse