How the Caps have changed D.C.

You've already read 713 stories about how much different today's Caps are than yesteryear's Caps. Like, standing-room only tickets for the playoffs? That's a big difference.

But maybe nothing was so stark for me as reading this message-board dialog a friend just sent over. This was from his poker group, in June of 2007. That was less than three years ago. Names have been changed.

Rich: Hey all. If you'd like to pick up a game or two (or more) to see the Caps next season, let me know. My brother and I have season tickets, and they're great seats - about 15 rows behind the Caps bench, almost center ice.

Cost is $145 per game (two seats). Let me know if you're interested and how many games you'd want. We're pretty good about getting you particular games/teams that you'd like to see.

Mike: Sweet! I would like to order zero seats for the upcoming season. Is there any way to lock up the same amount of seats for the next 10-15 years? I just want to make sure to get my schedule straight.

Alan: Hey Mike, I was thinking of getting the same plan you want. Maybe I'll see you at the games.

Paul (who is now a Caps STH): Rich, let me know when you are looking to unload some WNBA tickets.

Scott: I'll take 2 tickets.

Scott: Oh wait! You have hockey tickets! I'm sorry. I thought you had ballet tickets. Hockey is like watching paint dry.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 15, 2010; 2:08 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Canadiens take heart from upsets
Next: A D.C. kid named after Ovechkin

Comments

I bet Mike and Allen are both trying to get tickets for the playoffs. Because that's how awful DC sports fans are.

Posted by: phattymatt | April 15, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I think the real question is who holds onto a message board dialog of very little meaning for 3 years?

Posted by: svxcountry1 | April 15, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Scott: I'll take 2 tickets.

yeah scott is prob too busy taking in ballet now to be watching hockey. i'd rather gouge my eyes out and eat glass than watch a card game.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 15, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

haha Seriously, the real question is WHY was this saved??

Posted by: MarylanDChris | April 15, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

There's 4 dudes I hope I never meet.

P.S. Rich...call me.

Posted by: JillC | April 15, 2010 3:15 PM | Report abuse

question. for a playoff beard, must one be clean-shaven at the start? i dont want to start over, if i dont have to, but i'll do my duty.

Posted by: EdLeee | April 15, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

"I bet Mike and Allen are both trying to get tickets for the playoffs. Because that's how awful DC sports fans are"

Get over Yourself.

Posted by: JDB1 | April 15, 2010 3:46 PM | Report abuse

@EdLeee: Not sure of proper protocol on the playoff beard, but I shaved this morning in order to start from scratch. It seemed like the honorable thing to do.

Posted by: eorr53 | April 15, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

How it has changed? What ever happened to the $10 "Eagles Nest" tickets? My season plan went from 15 games to 7 games to 5 game to you have to buy Dewar's Club tickets to get additional games.

Can't blame Ted for squeezing the bandwagon jumpers, but when you can't even score playoff tickets after buying season tickets the past ten or so years, it's time to enjoy the games at home.

Thx,