Jaroslav Halak's shaking arm: the video

Shake your computer while looking at this and you'll get the picture.

Alex Ovechkin caused the second media stir of this series when he suggested that Canadiens goalie Jaroslav Halak was nervous on Saturday night, as evidenced by his shaking hand after Washington's first tally. The quote:

"I watched the replay when [Eric Fehr] scored the goal and his arm was shaking when he drink water. So he's nervous. He knows the pressure on him and it's a good sign for us."

Now, I don't know Halak well enough to say whether his arm usually shakes when he allows goals and/or drinks water. I don't know whether shaking would necessarily connote nervousness, nor do I know whether he might have been feeling a sudden chill due to a Verizon Center draft or a dream of pounding orange Popsicles and freebasing Bengay while swimming naked in an Alberta lake in mid-January.

But I can say this. The video below cuts to Halak drinking water at about the 17-second mark, and dude's arm is shaking like a feather floating over an Icelandic volcano. So at least the first sentence of Ovechkin's quote is nothing if not accurate.

Still, because the media is bored, and the media is awesome, the media brought this up with the Habs. From the Globe and Mail:

Halak didn't deign to respond (a team spokesman said "he doesn't want to get into a war of words") but centre Scott Gomez did. "Whatever," he said. "Next."

Scott Burnside:

Ah, you've got to love Alex Ovechkin trying to take a seat in Jaroslav Halak's mental kitchen. Ovechkin offered up a pretty lukewarm assessment of the Montreal netminder on Sunday, saying he could see Halak's hands shaking with nervousness after the Capitals scored their first goal en route to a 6-5 overtime victory in Saturday's Game 2....

Not surprisingly, the tutorial was a hot topic Sunday in the Canadiens' dressing room. Montreal coach Jacques Martin reiterated Sunday he thought Halak's play was fine, regardless of Ovechkin's interpretation.

CBC Sports:

Halak did not address reporters after last night's game, and he declined again today, choosing instead to send a message through the Canadiens PR department that he won't get into a war of words through the media.

That's fair enough, and frankly whether Halak wants to talk to reporters or not is his prerogative. But when an opponent claims you look nervous and that the pressure is getting to you, then you choose not to address those comments, does it not in some small way prove that he is right?

Well, no, frankly. Same way if he came out and said he wasn't nervous, that wouldn't prove that Ovechkin was wrong. Anyhow, nerves are not necessarily a sign of doom; Game 2 hero John Carlson told CSN's MIchael Jenkins that he still gets nervous on the ice.

"I try to [stay calm]," Carlson said. "That doesn't mean that I'm not scared and not nervous sometimes, but I try to stay even-keeled, like you said. I think that if you play nervous and play jittery, it's gonna show on the ice, so I just try to play confident every game."

Just don't let your hand shake on camera, son. And don't tell anyone in Canada.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 19, 2010; 12:24 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mike Shanahan lays down the law
Next: Josh Willingham's elvis-haired interview

Comments

Interesting tidbit, but it's late, go to bed Steinberg!

Posted by: glb8p | April 19, 2010 2:18 AM | Report abuse

I noticed this immediately after the goal and mentioned it to the company I was with. I had never seen a goalie's hand shake like that getting water. I'm impressed Ovechkin caught it too, while on the ice.

Posted by: whatnot | April 19, 2010 2:35 AM | Report abuse

"Montreal coach Jacques Martin reiterated Sunday he thought Halak's play was fine, regardless of Ovechkin's interpretation."

Then he lets in 5 more goals. Let's hope they both think it's fine to let 5 goals in for the rest of the games! Go CAPS!

Posted by: charley42 | April 19, 2010 4:58 AM | Report abuse

.. if he's shaking that much during a road game wait til he's in Montreal where the home fans will be on him once he lets in one. If he's really this nervous that's good for us.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 19, 2010 6:40 AM | Report abuse

I don't know if a one-second shot of the guy's hand "shaking" while he's squeezing his water bottle can qualify as any indication of nerves. Everyone has to have a certain degree of nervousness at the start of the game...mostly from excitement. Considering the goalie is wearing several pounds of pads on each arm, when you take that weight off, your muscles are bound to be bouncing. It's what makes biathletes so amazing...the ability to calm those involuntary nerves and be able to nail a target after skiing so hard.

I think if anything, Backstrom's OT goal rattles the kid. It's one thing to give up a breakaway when you're already up two goals. It's another to let a 3 goal lead slip away and lose it on the first shot in OT. Everyone knows to go glove-side high on him...he's gonna get peppered tonight.

Posted by: Rainier1 | April 19, 2010 7:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Rainier1 | April 19, 2010 7:03 AM

the new pads are so light it's ridiculous; it can't be the weight of the body armor. if he wasn't nervous the only other explanation is that there was almost no water left in that thing. but i don't think that's the case. haha

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 19, 2010 8:56 AM | Report abuse

The guy is squeezing a water bottle! Maybe it's a new plastic bottle that has yet to soften up. I don't know, but I doubt a couple of goals are getting this guy that nervous. If anything, Ovie is looking to deflect attention away from the fact that he has really yet to stand out like his nemesis Crosby. One goal and a couple of hits doesn't equate to his name being engraved on the Cup.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a Caps fan to the core, and I can't stand Cindy Crosby, but he DOES have the hardware that matters, and Ovie needs to step it up.

Posted by: chris1chris | April 19, 2010 8:59 AM | Report abuse

chris1chris:
"If anything, Ovie is looking to deflect attention away from the fact that he has really yet to stand out like his nemesis Crosby."

Ovie ppg: 2.0
Crosby ppg: 2.3

and for comparison
Backstrom ppg: 2.5

I would think that is hardly a reason to deflect attention away from himself.

Posted by: _newt_ | April 19, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

It's smart for Ovechkin to try and do a little earwigging. But Adrenalin tastes the same whether your angry or afraid. In any case, neither the effect nor the supply lasts very long.

Posted by: redlineblue | April 19, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Hold F11 while looking at Halak and you'll get the picture

Posted by: ltblue14 | April 19, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

"Ovie is looking to deflect attention away from the fact that he has really yet to stand out like his nemesis Crosby."

---

He had 4 points last night, what more do you want?

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 19, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: chris1chris | April 19, 2010 8:59 AM

BAHAHAHAHA oh man. dude it's a team effort. And I watched the first two goals on Theo after I got home again and there was no way he would have gotten either of those shots. Defense can't give those guys that much time to shoot, and even on VS they were going on about both those shots for several minutes after the play (and lack of D). It's a team effort, not a one man team.

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 19, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Really Chris - did you watch the game Saturday? I think OV stood out just a tad.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 19, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Plekanic (sp?) wants to talk smack about our goalies, we can talk smack about theirs, especially when it is caught on national TV. Playoff hockey, gotta love it.

Posted by: CTCapsPhan | April 19, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

at 30 seconds, that kid in the stands looks like he has fat dip in his mouth

Posted by: goose33 | April 19, 2010 10:37 AM | Report abuse

I really don't think Overchin is one to talk about nerves. Re: Game One - Re: Only one goal difference - when this was supposed to be a "walk in the park"....

No Class!

Posted by: joseelarocque | April 19, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Video doesn't lie.
People lie.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 19, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

No Class!

Posted by: joseelarocque | April 19, 2010 10:38 AM |

No class; like punching someone in the nuts or when they're not looking like someone else in the league?

Posted by: beaupre33 | April 19, 2010 12:29 PM | Report abuse

No Class!
Posted by: joseelarocque | April 19, 2010 10:38 AM |

Talk about non-story ms. josie!
Quit stirring the pot.

Posted by: Rocc00 | April 19, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I didn't see OVIE shaking a lot at the Olympics...

I just saw Halak beating the Russian team and ending 4th in the tournement...

By the way, Halak is always shaking when he drinks even at the practices...so... not a big deal...

Posted by: costaricaNHLFAN | April 19, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

He's squeezing the hell out the water bottle which creates some shake. That said, always good to get in his kitchen. Ovie needs to shutup and play though. If that shaking moment was so monumental, why did Montreal then go up 4-1?????
I dont think an NHL-caliber goalie shakes while up 1 game to none and 2-1 in this game. Moving on.........

Posted by: cwallop1 | April 19, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Sure looks like it is from squeezing the water bottle. If not I'd also assume it was be pissed off with his defense before I'd assume it was nerves. Doesn't really matter either way.

Posted by: Dancy1 | April 19, 2010 7:15 PM | Report abuse