Kiper: Skins could still take a QB first

Mel Kiper thinks the Redskins could still take a quarterback in the first round on Thursday night. Todd McShay sort of agrees. And I feel positive that if I died tomorrow, one of the things on my list of regrets would not be "failed to listen to enough radio debates between Kiper and McShay on the Redskins' quarterbacking needs."

But since you're curious, Kiper went on Mike & Mike Wednesday morning and said that, the McNabb trade notwithstanding, he wouldn't be surprised if the Redskins leave the first round with a big-name QB prospect in the fold. He elaborated during an ESPN.com podcast with McShay.

"We've gotten this question really since McNabb was traded," Kiper said. "If you thought before they made the deal that they would take a quarterback or could take a quarterback, once they made the McNabb trade you figured they're not taking a quarterback. But McNabb's 33, and a quarterback like Sam Bradford needs a little bit of time. I think we all agree, he's not ready to step in immediately. And that would be an opportunity.

"And I think [with] Mcnabb, you could debate, well, what's the record of the Redskins gonna be over the next couple of years? Well, probably at worst 8-8. So you figure, ok, their chances of getting an elite quarterback may end after this year. They're sitting there at 4, so the debate I think in their minds is first of all do you move up and get Bradford if possible, or do you take a Trent Williams or a Russell Okung at 4 and build around McNabb?

"I mean, that's the debate, and we've talked about this a lot. I still believe firmly that St. Louis would like to get out of that first spot if they get a taker. And I think if the Redskins give 'em enough of an offer to move from 4 to 1, at least it's a possibility. Now, conventional wisdom suggests you have McNabb, you sit there at 4, you take the best offensive tackle -- be it in their minds Okung or Trent Williams -- and you move on. Remember, you don't pick again until the early 4th round. But that's I think the debate out there."

Kiper didn't mention that hundreds or possibly thousands of fans would drive Jimmy Clausen bobbleheads through their hearts if that's the way things wind up. That's a tough way to go out. But I guess that's not his concern. I figured McShay would lower the boom at this point, but he sort of didn't.

"Well, first of all, thanks for dropping that bomb, now I'm gonna have to spend 10 minutes explaining the mess you created," McShay said. "There is legitimacy to it, and I do think the Redskins want to get a young quarterback.

"The problem is, they don't pick again until, what, the 4th round? So you go 99 picks until you're up again, and then by that point obviously Clausen's off the board, Tim Tebow and Colt McCoy are off the board. A very good chance that tony Pike's off the board. I mean, who's there? There's not anybody there. So I understand it from that standpoint.

"But let me play devil's advocate. What are you gonna do at offensive tackle? I think the only way they can justify that move is if you have a deal in place or feel really strongly about your potential to make a move with a Jared Gaither, let's say, from the Baltimore Ravens, who I don't want to say is up on the trading blocks but certainly there's been a lot of speculation about teams inquiring with Gaither and the Ravens feeling good about potentially moving him, having brought in Michael Oher a year ago.

"So I think that's the one way you could justify that move if you're the Redskins, because you've got to protect, you've GOT to protect your quarterback. You've got to protect Donovan McNabb. And right now your offensive line is not good enough to kick off in week 1."

Well, Kyle Shanahan would beg to disagree, sir.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 21, 2010; 10:53 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Caps TV ratings pull well ahead of Wizards
Next: Brooks Laich says the Caps have a system

Comments

Would Kiper just shut up??

Posted by: ajian1 | April 21, 2010 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Please don't pick Clausen, Please don't pick Clausen, Please don't pick Clausen, Please don't pick Clausen

Posted by: davids4 | April 21, 2010 11:56 AM | Report abuse

Aside from the obvious 2 big reasons the Redskins won't draft a QB (we just got McNabb and we need a left tackle), the other reason I don't see this happening is because the team really does believe McNabb has several great years left (whether you or I agree with that or not is irrelevant--the team believes it). And you don't want a high draft pick QB sitting on your bench more than 1-2 years at most. I wouldn't be surprised if we took a shot on a qb in the later rounds, or if we simply waited until next year to take one.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 21, 2010 12:19 PM | Report abuse

"And I think [with] Mcnabb, you could debate, well, what's the record of the Redskins gonna be over the next couple of years? Well, probably at worst 8-8."

Though his line of reasoning is inspired (will they finish 4-12 again? I hope not. No more top 5 picks, no), I've been around Snyderskins long enough to take The Hair up on the .500 or above bet.

Posted by: WorstSeat | April 21, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

Kiper's on the Dole likely for several, but definitely for whomever is Jimmy Clausen's agent. He's trying to artifically inflate Clausen's stock by pretending that the Skins are interested.

Jimmy Clausen will be this year's Brady Quinn and it will be as hilarious now as it was then.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 21, 2010 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Again, if I'm JC17's agent -- and he is somehow indicating that he wants a paycheck this season -- and an opportunity to play at least a couple of downs in the pre-season, than I'm telling him to stuff an extra large tampon up his cooter, double up on the maxi pads, and report to Redskin Park as soon as possible. They are the only ones who have shown even a hint of interest in you this season.

Posted by: Vic1 | April 21, 2010 12:36 PM | Report abuse

If they do not address the offensive line, it doesn't matter who is at quaterback. They are going to be looking up as Jason Campbell has for the last three years. If I was Donovan, I would not have even come to this team without an O lin in place. How many quarterbacks does one team need. That is why I am no longer a Redskin fan. GO RAVENS!

Posted by: ivyleague | April 21, 2010 12:48 PM | Report abuse

For the love of God, just draft an offensive lineman (or ten).

Posted by: mkremnitzer0 | April 21, 2010 1:02 PM | Report abuse

One would think if the 'skins were planning on drafting a QB they would not have also traded 2 of their draft picks for one. Do you really think in a single year they should spend 3 top draft picks on QBs -- especially when everyone in the world knows they are in dire need of a o-line boost?

Posted by: smshadowman | April 21, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

If the NFL team in Landover with a racist name drafts Cherokee Sam Bradford, I only hope the ghost of Wilma Mankiller makes 4-12 look like a good season for Snyder's team.

Posted by: rdpinva | April 21, 2010 7:50 PM | Report abuse