MASN loses feed from Wrigley

Quick update for those of you who noticed that the MASN television broadcast became a radio broadcast over this photo of Wrigley Field for much of Monday night's game. A MASN spokesman sent along this statement:

There was a technical problem with the fiber transmission coming out of Wrigley Field earlier tonight, which we have worked diligently to restore.

Any implication that this is connected to the President's support for the White Sox would be speculative.

Near as I can figure, the feed was out for most of the early innings, and came back with one out in the top of the fourth.

"Congratulations on your short radio career, I thought you were very good," Bob Carpenter said to Rob Dibble going into the bottom of the fourth, when the feed was actually out again. It came back in the bottom of the fifth, and lasted for the duration.

If ever there was a night to suffer from the gods of live punishment, this was it, since a lot of D.C.sports fans were looking elsewhere during the early stretches of the Nats game. Though maybe they'd rather have seen a still shot of sun-shiney Wrigley, as it turns out.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 26, 2010; 11:22 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Bruce Boudreau looking for answers
Next: Mike Shanahan loves tailgate toss

Comments

same thing happened during the first period of the caps-bluejackets game on saturday april 3rd

Posted by: RussianMachineNeverBreaks | April 26, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

No this isn't the first time a Nats game was suppose to be on and you flip to the channel and there's nothing, I think it's more a Peter Angelos thing trying to keep fans away from the Nats games on TV. And now with them playing and having a better record than his O's well anything's possible...

Posted by: papaskynz | April 27, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

I will be happy when the O's lose the rights to the nats broadcasts.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 27, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I live in chicago and was watching the nats game on local tv. Same thing happened here.

Posted by: jkblodge1 | April 27, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

Sure, stuff like this happens. But why was MASN incapable of superimposing the score, inning and men-on-base graphic over the lovely photograph of Wrigley field?

Or, if that wasn't possible, running a scroll on the bottom?

Surely, they knew a significant portion of the Washington fan base was flipping back and forth from the Caps game. An instant visual update would have been useful.

And, if any of that was technologically impossible, couldn't the announcer at least provide such information every 2-3 minutes, as radio announcers do?

Posted by: mvm2 | April 27, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I will be happy when the O's lose the rights to the nats broadcasts.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 27, 2010 8:47 AM

The Lerners probably won't be happy about it - that'd be $25 million vanishing into thin air. My fellow Nats fans need to get over the MASN scapegoating - all the games are in HD, everything's worked out with the cable companies. This was a routine malfunction that happened while everyone was watching the Caps lose - I blame Bartman.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 27, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

If it was going to be audio-only, they should've used Charlie and Dave from the radio feed. Carp and Dibble are so bad I usually prefer to listen on the radio than watch on TV; I sure as hell wasn't going to tune in to a TV feed with only C&D's voices. Yeesh.

(p.s. fire carpenter and dibble)

Posted by: yatesc1 | April 27, 2010 9:54 AM | Report abuse

I thought an earthquake hit the Chicago area when the TV went out.

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | April 27, 2010 10:10 AM | Report abuse

The thing that bothered me was that Carpenter and Dibble didn't seem to understand the difference between television commentary and radio commentary, or else they didn't care.

Posted by: jgbay | April 27, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

I switched to the radio broadcast. It was a breath of fresh air, not having to listen to C&D. Then when the video returned, I left the radio on an the delay of the video wasn't nearly as annoying as I expected. Might try that again. But you can't do that when, as I usually do, you're watching the game on a longer delay so as to be able to fast forward through the GEICO and SW Airlines commercials. Oh well.

Posted by: Section222 | April 27, 2010 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: jgbay | April 27, 2010 10:38 AM

They did understand - and cared. They're just not very good at it. Jeeze - turn on the radio or buy an iPhone.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 27, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

I'm guessing the snafu also knocked out any opportunities to rerun the game. When I got home Monday night/Tuesday morning MASN had ESPNews on despite the program guide stating they would show the Cubs-Nats again. Now the Cubs-Nats ARE on, but it's the extra inning game from July 3, 2005....

Posted by: ValleyCaps | April 27, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I'm kind of surprised at the negative comments on Carpenter and Dibble. I've always thought Carpenter one of the best and I've been listening and watching Washington baseball since 1950. Ok, I did have to try and root for the O's during our 31 year banishment from the game. And the O's did have some great announcers. Do any of you remember that Chuck Tompson did the Senators broadcast for one year. Carpenter has had to live thru those last two years just like we fans - and he couldn't just leave in disgust like I did durning many of those 200 plus loses. He consistantly looked for positive signs while not trying hide the teams problems. I think Dibble has been a good addition although he does need to take a break once in awhile. Neither one was handling the lost video very well.

Posted by: HagerstownHal | April 27, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

You don't think that CSN would give the Nats the red carpet? I think they would. They need something to broadcast during the summer months, and they could give the Nats incredible coverage, including HD.

The entire setup with MASN benefits no one but Peter Angelos. The Lerner's might make a little money, but a bad team being coupled with a bad team just doesn't scream an awesome revenue stream. Will the Nats ever own more than 50% of the team when they are winning divisions while the Orioles are in the gutter? Nope. Pitiful Peter will still be rolling in dough.

Posted by: HawksPride | April 27, 2010 6:42 PM | Report abuse

*I meant to say 50% of the network, not the team. I should hit the preview button more often.

Posted by: HawksPride | April 27, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse