Matt Bradley's "lucky" goal

(By Nick Wass - AP)

Since he scored the winning goal and all, Matt Bradley was the subject of Lisa Hillary's post-game on-ice interview Thursday night. Hillary pointed out that Bradley had just equaled his career high with nine goals, and had scored his fourth game-winner of the season by out-muscling Chris Chelios for the puck, throwing it on net and beating Ondrej Pavelec.

"Well, Stecks and Chimer had made great plays along the wall and I just was lucky enough to pick it up in the corner and took it to the net," Bradley said of his linemates. "It was a lucky goal, but I'll take it."

Pavelec agreed with this assessment.

"It was a bad bounce," the goalie said, according to the AJC. "I had my stick on the ice, and it bounced over. Lucky goal. We deserved two points."

Out of curiosity, I figured I should ask some Caps whether they also found this to be a lucky goal.

"Absolutely not," Brooks Laich said. "It was a tough goal to score. He's behind the goal line and most players will probably go around the net, but Brads comes into a tough area in front, knowing he'll potentially get drilled, and puts it in. It's a huge goal, and those are the kind of goals he's gonna score. It's a nice move, he wins a puck battle against Chelios, gets the puck, brings it around in front of the net, slides it five-hole. He looked pretty graceful."

"I think Brads doesn't give himself enough credit," Jason Chimera said. "He's a good player, and I think he's always mentioning himself as a guy who plugs around out there, but he can surely put the puck in the net. Any time you go to the net like that and tuck her home, it's not a lucky goal. It's not like he threw it out in front of the net and it went off somebody. He went to the net with it and made the great play and tucked it through the five-hole. I think that's a pretty skilled goal, in my opinion. I don't know why he described it as lucky, that's for sure."

"I think of a lot of my goals as lucky too, so I can kind of see where he's coming from," Eric Fehr said. "I wouldn't call it a lucky goal. I'd say it was a hard-working goal. Guys do that play a lot of times in a game, and every once in a while they go in."

"I try to tell that guy, he's a better hockey player than he tries to mouth off with [the media]," Chimera added. "He's a guy that jokes around a lot and he kids around a lot, but I think he should give himself a little more credit than he does."

Anyhow, after Bradley left the ice, he went back to the dressing room and met with the media. He was asked how he managed to beat Chelios

"I don't think he saw me coming, and no matter who it is, if you don't see a guy coming, it's pretty tough to react," Bradley said. "So I was lucky enough to sneak in around him, and I think that was the only reason why I got him off the puck."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 2, 2010; 1:11 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Albert Haynesworth's new boat
Next: Cooley and Davis tricycles make SportsCenter

Comments

The shot itself might have been a little lucky, but the pass fake that froze Enstrom and let him take it to the front of the net was definitely not.

Posted by: HowdyDCU | April 2, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

To be Fair, "out-muscling Chris Chelios" isn't saying much. Once you pull is walker out from under him, the rest kind of takes care of itself.

Posted by: VTDuffman | April 2, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

Any word on whether the league will be reviewing Armstrong's elbow to the mouth of Perreault? I can't believe FOUR on-ice officials missed that. Or maybe it's just more evidence that Bettman will do anything in his power to keep the Cup out of DC.

Posted by: catsrtasty | April 2, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I call B.S. on this. If you deserved 2 points you would have gotten them. Poor sportsmanship right there.

Posted by: hlywd11 | April 2, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

"Or maybe it's just more evidence that Bettman will do anything in his power to keep the Cup out of DC."

Yeah, since losing Mathieu Perreault for a number of games would effectively end the Capitals' season.

Listen, I'm all for fair calls and agree that the Caps have been shafted a few too many times this season, but enough with the conspiracy theories. Armstrong got a penalty on the play and Perreault ended up being fine... time to move on.

Posted by: MartinLocraft | April 2, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

@MartinLocraft

No he didn't. He and ShaMo both got penalties in the aftermath so it was a 4 on 4. Armstrong should have received a penalty for his punch on MP followed by forearm/elbow to the upper part of his head. The problem was that MP's body hid the beginning of that hit from the nearest ref. This has nothing to do with paranoia about refs perceived bias against the Caps (which I don't believe), but much to do with the inconsistency of calls. The hit was dirty. If Green can be suspended after the fact after the hit was reviewed then so can Armstrong. The elbow in fact hit MP. And the initial punch to the face was completely wrong. Armstrong could have made a legal shoulder check but chose not to.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | April 2, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

And I loved Bradley's goal. That shift was great. Chimera helped make that play possible. Good teamwork.

Posted by: Capsyoungguns | April 2, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

Even if that Bradley goal didn't go in... the game would still be tied. YOU don't "DESERVE" anything.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 2, 2010 6:32 PM | Report abuse