McNabb causes Fletcher to talk Super Bowl

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Donovan McNabb's arrival caused so many people to say so many things that I've sort of lost count somewhere around eight trillion. Here are some more of those things.

London Fletcher, Fox Sports Radio, via Sports Radio Interviews:

"The excitement with our team began with the adding of Bruce Allen as the General Manager last year at the end of the season. Then it continued and got even higher when we added Mike Shanahan as the head football coach. So now we come in and they make all of the other moves they made in this offseason and then you trade for a Donovan McNabb, a six-time Pro Bowl quarterback, a guy who has taken his team to five NFC Championships and one Super Bowl appearance. You talk about excitemen. Before we were thinking, 'Ok, Let's compete for a division championship.' No. Now, we are thinking, 'Let's compete for a Super Bowl.' So just to let you know how things have changed around here."

Brian Baldinger, NFL Network, via Moving the Chains:

"The Eagles should be ecstatic. I view McNabb as a flawed player, and it was never more apparent than in the back-to-back losses to the Cowboys last season. His flaws will never go away. Now, the Eagles get at least two chances to expose the same flaws they've been covering up for 11 years. It works against the Redskins that McNabb is still in the division. Andy Reid can finally stop covering up for one of the most overrated quarterbacks in the history of the game. The Eagles will go to the playoffs. The Redskins will be watching from the golf course."

Jim Riggleman, via Nats.com:

"I'm a Mike Shanahan fan and a Donavan McNabb fan, so it's going to be a lot more fun for me to watch Redskins and follow them. At the same time, I went to a couple of college games where Jason Campbell was playing. I always thought he was an NFL quarterback -- a guy with a great arm. I feel bad for him."

Chris Cooley, SIRIUS NFL Radio:

"I remember coming in as a rookie and being in awe of just playing catch with Mark Brunell, but Donovan's done so much over his career. He's just a definite winner. You know that when you're getting the guy. And I think you look forward to playing with a guy like that....I think they started to send a message when they picked up two Pro Bowl backs to add to what we had in Clinton Portis. I mean, they're definitely bringing in talent and guys that they think we can win a Super Bowl with. But that's the Redskins. You would think that we would do that. I'm not surprised with the moves we've made. Although they're big moves, this happens here."

Maryland Attorney General Doug Gansler, via On The Record:

"It's horrible. Donovan McNabb has never been a good quarterback. It's very sad. It's what they always do. The Redskins will go out and try and find someone that everyone's heard of and stick him on the team, and it's never worked. Jason Campbell, if they gave him any kind of linemen, he would have been great. And then what's going to happen is, he's going to go to another team and be an all-pro for six years and Donovan McNabb will be watching that from his old-age home."

Clinton Portis, Hardcore Sports Radio, via Sports Radio Interviews:

"I think I always have tricks. But, like you said, it's turning into the No Fun League. You begin to take so much heat that it takes the joy out of it. The costumes for me was about fun amongst my teammates and bringing smiles to households. And all the sudden it leads to me having problems and a cry out for help and everything else. I would love to. One day I will. I just need to get back to being me. For a couple years, it was more of me being a fall guy. I think this year, with all talent we have and all the potential we have, I can get back to being me and having fun."

Amani Toomer, The Scott Van Pelt Show:

"They were trying to be smart a couple years ago and that didn't work. Now since they've gotten Bruce Allen and Shanahan, now that they've got those guys in and they're making moves like getting McNabb, everybody, believe me, up and down the NFC East is worried. Not only because they've got a good, competitive team, but they know Daniel Snyder has the deep pockets to fund that team."

Art Monk, CSN Washington:

"I'm excited like everybody else, an opportunity to bring a quality player into this team and help them get to the next level. They're getting a proven quarterback, he's experienced, he has leadership qualities I think we need, at least offensively. I'm not sure why the Eagles decided to let him go, or why they let him go to us, but we're excited to have him."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 7, 2010; 12:01 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Nats embrace political fundraisers
Next: Larry King used to work Caps games

Comments

OH GOOD GRIEF.

Here we ago again, just like the last 10 years.

Super Bowl? Can't we just for one off- season focus on getting this franchise off the mat instead of talking about delusional Super Bowl aspirations?

Posted by: enstage | April 7, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

That Baldinger quote is eerily similar to the Limbaugh quote that got him canned by ESPN a few years back. The message is exactly the same except, you know... the whole part about being overrated because the media wants a black QB to be successful.

Posted by: MillBurray | April 7, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Brian Baldinger has always hated the Redskins. I can not stand that guy.

Posted by: amorris525 | April 7, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Nope - Donovan McNabb = Super Bowl!

Posted by: mjwies11 | April 7, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

'skins are definitely better than last year...if we can get okung or trade down in the first round and pick up a second round (and use our first to pick up a lineman, maybe davis or iupati, the best OL available at any rate) then I think it's looking like 8-8, 9-7 maybe sneaking into the playoffs. the question is whether we can parlay the smart moves into a sustainable franchise...

Posted by: bacaje | April 7, 2010 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Who is Brian Baldinger to comment on anyone's career? The most famous thing he's ever done is being a 4th string FOX Commentator. Please. I have watched games, of Philly, that he has called, yet I don't recall ever hearing him say that McNabb is a flawed quarterback, and that he is one of the most overrated QB's in the history of the game. What a TOOL.

Posted by: factor71 | April 7, 2010 1:39 PM | Report abuse

to quote the immortal Jim Mora Sr.

SUPERBOWL??? DON'T TALK ABOUT SUPERBOWL!
We're just trying to win more than 1 playoff game per decade! (And get to the playoffs more than three times per decade)

Just once I would love for the Dan Snyder hype machine to aim for "reasonable expectations" rather than "SUPERBOWLEVERYYEAR". A young team that plays well and grinds out 4-5 wins (with a stockpile of draft picks) will ALWAYS beat a team full of aging veterans in the long term.

Posted by: jbanks979 | April 7, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

As a Dallas Cowboy fan I absolutely love reading about the annual "Redskins going to the Super Bowl fantasy"....thanks again for the comic relief. :-)

Posted by: JCM-51 | April 7, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Baldinger is an absolute no-talent. when he does a game, it's best to turn down the sound. His idiocy shows each time he opens his mouth....go Mcnabb!!...Go Skins !!

Posted by: NYskinsfan2 | April 7, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

People (and Cowboys fans) should notice that the only comment up there suggesting Super Bowl potential was from a player -- that seems like a good thing to me. I don't mind the idea of players thinking they can compete for a ring.

Sports anal-ysts are paid to be controversial, so Baldinger's irrational hyperbole doesn't bother me, and nobody cares what an attorney general has to say about football either. McNabb's done quite well with mediocre lines, marginal receivers and limited running games. I wasn't thrilled with this at first, but we can't judge this trade until it's over -- let's see what we get back for Jason and anyone else that will soon depart, not to mention who the draft pick(s) will be. If the picks come back, it's a good deal. If we keep getting older and don't get anyone to block for Donovan, well, at least we won't have much further to fall.

Posted by: RIP-21 | April 7, 2010 2:01 PM | Report abuse

Cowboy fans should not be here commenting nor criticizing with one playoff win in the last 15 years at least we have more then that. Secondly if McNabb had went anywhere else all this negativity wouldn't be here, instead it would be oh what a great move by "whomever" to get McNabb etc., but because everyone loves to hate Snyder and his money and the Skins period every year we get this negativity no matter what the Skins do...so I say just shut your friggin traps and let the season play out then criticize if you can. Evidently people in Vegas feel it's a good move the Skins went from 50-1 to 30-1 odds to reach the big dance...and before you say big deal 30-1 they also mentioned that New Orleans the team that won it were 25-1 odds so you just never know do you...

Posted by: papaskynz | April 7, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

And once again Portis turns the topic towards his own persecution complex.

Seriously dude: just say the right things, train hard in the offseason and come to camp in shape, then just play football.

In other words, just do your job. Enough with the martyrdom, please.

Posted by: hithere1 | April 7, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: JCM-51

-------------------------------------------
Big talk from a guy whose team just won its first play-off game in over a decade.

Posted by: fmccain | April 7, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Yeah Baldinger is terrible. I am cautiously optimistic about the McNabb trade--I think he will be more like Sonny and Billy K and less like Brunell. We overpaid for Brunell and he was done before he got here. McNabb won games for years in Philly with limited talent--anyone remember James Thrash as the Iggles #2 receiver? When he got T.O. for that brief time, it was light out. And I fully expect Shanahan to make a play for Brandon Marshall, so good things could be happening.

Posted by: jbergquist | April 7, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Why would Baldinger make such an aggressive comment about McNabb being a "flawed player" and then offer no evidence? What flaw(s) specifically is he talking about? Does anybody know? Seems like a very strange and random comment to just casually throw out there with no explanation.

If anything, I've always thought that McNabb was a truly great player carrying an undermanned offense on his back. It's always been McNabb and Westbrook and no one else. The first year he had a single high caliber WR (Owens)they went to the Super Bowl.

I also think that the lack of talent at the Skins skill positions is greatly exaggerated. The line killed everything last year. With an improved O-line, a better scheme, and McNabb pulling the trigger, I guess we're about to find out one way or the other.

Very much looking forward to this year.

Posted by: bigfoot1 | April 7, 2010 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: enstage | April 7, 2010 12:31 PM

I don't mind the Super Bowl talk in this context. I doubt that Fletcher is predicting anything. The way I read it is that this team can go into the season feeling like they have some chance of getting there. Everyone knows they still have to improve the line to do that. But I agree that, given some line improvement, they can go into the season having a chance. I don't think they felt like they had a Super Bowl quality coach or quarterback before. Now they do. This isn't about premature boasting... not the way I read it. This is about aspirations. I'm glad they have some hope.

Posted by: OintheSierras | April 7, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

If McNabb can go to the playoffs with Todd Pinkston and James Thrash as his wide receivers I don't think he is handicapped by the core of talent he has here at the skill positions.

What is lacking is talent and experience at the OL positions.

This team may be able to get by with Rabach, Dockery and Hicks but the Redskins need TWO new OTs before the opener.

One can be had with the #4 pick.

It will be interesting to see where the other one comes from.

Trade of Haynesworth?

Trade of Haynesworth and Campbell?

Trade of Andre Carter?

Posted by: leopard09 | April 7, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Stephon Heyer is our starting right tackle. Deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 7, 2010 3:42 PM | Report abuse

ignorance galore!!!!!!

To hear Baldy talk that junk only shows how little he actually knows about football.

Us skins fans have watched the pony show up there in Eagles land for 11 years and they are nothing more than a sissy team who can't run and won't run.

If you said the words "balance" to Andy Reid, his reply would be, i like to wear Nike.

With Shanny, you will see the best of DM5 because he will have a running game and not be asked to pass on 3rd and 1

Go Skins

Posted by: imthedude | April 7, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Fellow Skin fans...I know our line was the worst last year but has anyone ever thought of this reasoning...when Gibbs II was here, we tried to run that same style offense from the 80's, that offense power offense doesn't work in today's NFL because the teams are faster and stronger. If we bring a few tackles and they are coached up (and I love Buges to death) for that particular style, I think we will be ok. I think Mike Williams will be a huge factor because he came in April last year, way overweight, trimmed down made the team, he is hungrier and I think he may even solidfy that opposite guard position...I think Heyer and Hicks may battle for the right tackle and we draft Okung and possibly another tackle with the pick of the AH, JC or whomever we trade...I believe the FO has seen enough on film to think maybe just maybe, our line has some talent but how they played last year was not how they are built to play...Rhinehard is a finese blocker, so is Heyer...but we tried to make them power blockers...Just saying, I am sure folks wil think I am crazy but thats just how I see it and probably why they didnt sign any of the OL who came in for visits.

Posted by: alstars85 | April 7, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Baldinger: "I view McNabb as a flawed player."

So??? Who isn't? He's less flawed than at least 90% of the qb's and more flawed than very few. He has proven he can win. All this says is that Baldinger wants to accentuate the negative. In other words, he's a hater.

Posted by: OintheSierras | April 7, 2010 5:00 PM | Report abuse

It amazes me how "some" people cry on these blogs no matter what move the Redskins make. I still enjoy reading the cross-opinions/debates though.

Haynesworth took on double teams every game, and if he got worn down some, that is to be expected. You try battling 2 pro lineman all game... Yes, he should work more on conditioning, but I could care less if he doesn't come to "optional workouts." If you want him there, don't make them optional. He had as many sacks as our team leader the previous year (4), and enabled Carter and Orakpo to have 10-11 sacks each. Yes, he was paid a huge amount of money (should he have refused the offer? Would you have?). The fans need to get over that.

McNabb knows how to make something out of nothing. All players have different pros/cons. He is a leader, and will also provide good mentorship to whomever our young groomable qb choice is.

We lost quite a few close games last year, and the offense barely scored. If we can bolster up our O-Line through the draft, and other moves, we should be better in all aspects, hopefully resulting in a more successful season.

It's not on McNabb to be a 7 game difference (I've read that thrown around). The team as a whole has to step up, and we should improve.

Posted by: CoachOrr | April 7, 2010 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Stephon Heyer is our starting right tackle. Deal with it.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 7, 2010 3:42 PM

Is this to McNabb?

Posted by: mack1 | April 7, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: alstars85

I don't think you're crazy. They might believe they have some pieces to work with. Shanahan has already indicated as much about Heyer. I also don't think they will know until they see them play in their system. So, it's a wait-and-see attitude they're showing at the moment. They'll be bringing more guys in to compete, too. I hope they DO have luck raising up the games of these linemen we already have. That would be great.

Posted by: OintheSierras | April 7, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone really believe the O-line from last season can be turned into a serviceable NFL line? Hope I'm wrong, but without an almost complete overhaul, McNabb won't last very long.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | April 7, 2010 7:03 PM | Report abuse

shanahan coming to wash.will not stop heyer and rabach from getting blown up at the line of scrimmage no matter what kind of blocking scheme they use rinehart has been such a dud he hardly gets on the field or is injured this may be his last chance on this team. I can tell you 2 players that don't get overwhelmed at the line and that is m. williams and FA last yr. e. williams hopefully both of them start at RG and center and get LT and RT in draft. dreaming that rabach and heyer will all of the sudden turn into good linemen suddenly is nothing but a dream.

Posted by: wathu19 | April 7, 2010 9:35 PM | Report abuse

Trust in Shanahan! There`s a gleem men, A GLEEM !

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 7, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

Let's be straight here. Brian Baldinger knows little relevant about football ever, so enough said there. And the Cowboy fan who would comment about "comic relief". Wow if that isn't the pot calling the kettle black. Guess that fan has not watched his team in over a decade (shame I have)? And the Skins were going nowhere without a "leader" at QB. Who knows what will develop next season, but the Skins now at least have a QB who can step on the field and LEAD the team. The Eagles were guilty of the "insanity" rule. Doing the same thing every year and expecting different results. Maybe the new Skins coach and a new proven winner QB will bring different results for the Skins. Worth a try, I'd say!

Posted by: alias33 | April 7, 2010 11:33 PM | Report abuse

McNabb is a definite upgrade. I can't believe any skins fans who do not like this trade. We have a GM that has won a Superbowl, a coach that has won 2 superbowls and a division rival QB that has won 5 NFC championships and has one superbowl appearance....HOW COULD YOU NOT BE IN FAVOR OF THIS???? And to feel sorry for Jason Campbell???? I admit, our O-line was terrible but if you've watched J.Campbell like I have with the non-forced errors, interceptions, overthrows, and NO pocket presence....what could he have done with an O-line?? J. Campbells stats are mis-leading because he doesn't throw DOWN the field...please, I'll take McNabb anyday and I for one agree with Fletcher....SUPERBOWL BABY!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: thedynamichooper | April 11, 2010 7:32 PM | Report abuse