McNabb compares Eagles and Redskins fans

With so much talk about Phillies and Nats fans this week, I was curious to hear Donovan McNabb's response when LaVar Arrington asked him if he understood how he'd be viewed if he brought success to this market.

"Well, I do," McNabb said Wednesday on the LaVar and Dukes show. "You have to understand, I recently for 11 years played in another big city, a city that when I got there they were 3-13...."

"This is different," Arrington interrupted. "This is different, 5."

"It's different from Philly because obviously the response and the respect and appreciation that you'll receive here in D.C.," McNabb said. "But the similarities is the fact that their fans are passionate. Fans here in D.C. are truly passionate about the Redskins, despite a four-win season or just them giving the effort. But now you're talking about a team giving more effort and guys playing together, to contribute to more wins and possibly playoff berths. Now you're talking about the respect and appreciation developing more, just about the Redskins, not about individual players but just the team. That's something that I guess they haven't seen in a while, is a team playing together."

Earlier, Chad Dukes had asked McNabb what his ideal situation would have been, and McNabb did not go the PC route and say that this was the ideal situation.

"I said it earlier, said it before, I'll say it again: I always believe in finishing where you started," he said. "Unless you're just completely declining on your play, things just aren't working out or you hear the words we're going in a new direction. None of those were anything that I had heard or none of those were anything that had happened, so I figured I would be in Philadelphia.

"People coming out in national publications or national networks talking about I've heard from sources close to Donovan or I've heard from his friends that he wants to be in Minnesota. That was never true. I mean, Minnesota has a great team, but no one has ever heard me say I want to be in Minnesota or I want to be in San Francisco or I want to be in Arizona. I live in Arizona. Would that have been great? Hey, that might have been fine. But I wanted to be in Philadelphia."

(And really, I just posted those quotes as an excuse to use this one, when McNabb was asked about being old.

"Well you know what, I can't get caught up in what people may say," he replied. "Brett Favre is 40, now being a grandfather. You got Mark Brunell who's about 38 still playing. The list goes on of people saying he's old. Because really, 33, 34 years old is truly not old. You know what, I laughed at the situation, because if you say that I'm old, then what does that make Brett Favre? What does that make Peyton Manning? What does that make Tom Brady? Because we're all 33, 34 years old."

Mark Brunell! invoked by the new starting quarterback! Anyhow, Arrington closed by offering to show McNabb around socially, and McNabb agreed that would be fine.

"I've always been a fan of D.C. and just what it has to offer," he said. "I look forward to getting out and tasting some of the finest restaurants and just enjoying my time when I'm here, and hopefully bringing a Super Bowl back here to D.C."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 8, 2010; 9:23 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: McNabb plays hoops with T.O.
Next: Caps finally get back to .500

Comments

Ben's Chili bowl ..

Posted by: boblas | April 8, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Nobody's saying it but everyone knows it, McNabb will be treated fairly here, unlike philly. Look at how much room the fans have given Campbell but can you name me a single 2 minute drive that he single handedly won the game for the skins? He may be good, he may be smart, and he's definitely a good guy but he's no McNabb (yet). But philly had McNabb and all they did was complain. "he can't win the big game", you've got to be kidding! He may have his flaws but with the amount of success he brought that winless (in football) city, he should be treated like a god.
Instead, every year for the last five they've called for his head.
DC fans welcome McNabb with open arms and I look forward to the day when DC will STILL be the only team to have had a super bowl winning black quarterback.

Posted by: sopplayer | April 8, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Ray's Hell Burger

Posted by: lmcanda | April 8, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Uncle Julio's Rio Grande

Posted by: Barno1 | April 8, 2010 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Old Ebbett's Grill - fit right in...

Posted by: jvbstable | April 8, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Ben's Chilli Bowl sucks!! The food is terrible and overpriced, and the resturant (if you want to call it that) is old and filthy. Why is it popular? Cause Bill Cosby likes it? What a dump!

Hey Donovan check out Johhny Rockets. Gotta keep Danny's $$ in the family!!

Posted by: digger76 | April 8, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Chipotle

Posted by: fushezzi | April 8, 2010 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I was going to say Chipotle but I didn't want to steal it from Fushezzi.

Other top notch local establishments:

Ledos
Roy Rogers
Cali Tort
West River Deli
Gepettos

Posted by: Barno1 | April 8, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

We shouldn't recommend restaurants that are going to make him fat.

Posted by: dand0202 | April 8, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Heck while we're at it, why not some other top-notch food establishments.....Wendy's!!!

Posted by: vdhillon | April 8, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Crisfield's!

Posted by: macleod5000 | April 8, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Take it from someone who has lived in both cities - Donovan will LOVE it in DC. I'll never expect him to say it out loud, but no matter how the Skins do, he will notice the difference in how he is treated by the fans. I might not have made this trade, preferring to build through the draft, but now that it's done, I hope he lights it up against the Eagles every time they play.

Posted by: DCExpatInPhilly | April 8, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Chipotle? Roy Rogers?! They might have franchises in Turkey - I don't think he's looking for fast food franchises. How about Art & Soul, Busboys & Poets, something a little more local & unique.

Posted by: wisdom80 | April 8, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

The difference between the Redskins fans and Eagles fans is the Redskins fans have class with their passion for our beloved team and the Eagles fans lack class. This is not meant in a mean way either, just a fact. HTTR!!!

Posted by: ladyredskins | April 8, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Hopefully DM does not tank the game when we play philly..... like what deion sanders did when he (purposely) muffed the punt against dallas which cost us the game....

Posted by: scoot21 | April 8, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Just don't get hungry for cheesesteaks, pizza or old-school Italian (since AV closed); all you'll get here are poor imitations or Crappo Nouveau variations.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | April 8, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, never understood the Philly fans' hatred of McNabb. I mean, if he had done what he did in Philly here in DC, he'd be a God. Especially considering they lucked out with Brian Westbrook being unstoppable for a few years and NO real running game.

It was a lot on McNabb's arm. Really, Philly has nothing else on offense. Heck, he did great with Trash, Baskett, and a bunch of bums, let alone dealing with TO.

McNabb got a raw deal in Philly. Skins fans aren't as unappreciative.

Posted by: Thinker_ | April 8, 2010 1:45 PM | Report abuse

DC = Nice monuments and nice people, but traffic is terrible and the city is way too expensive. That being said, the low-rise development gives the city a certain European feel. On the downside, this city thinks it rivals NYC, and that is a joke comparison. Not even close.

Philly = Rich with history and culture, great city beat and street life, better food and night life than DC, but the people are hot and cold--and many of them are just plain jerks. They may have soul when you get to know them, but common courtesy is often lacking. That's a big problem.

These are not similar places, but they each have their good parts. In a head-to-head, Philly loses because to get anywhere in this world you need a civilized environment--not always the case in Philly, but almost always the case in DC.

Welcome, Donovan, to DC--my home town. We're delighted to have you and we wish you well.

Posted by: ktp70 | April 8, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Steinberg:

I think you and many fellow Washington sportswriters have spent too much time knocking Brunell by innuendo or other means. Certainly you have the right to do so. However, what other 'Skin QB has led the team to a playoff WIN (Tampa) since Rypien? I'm glad Brunell made a good deal for himself in New Orleans and got a Super Bowl ring. Seems like some WINNING organization felt like "old lefty" still had some gas in the tank!

Posted by: bb10s | April 8, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

C'mon now . . .Philly fans know that Donovan is and has been a very, very good quarterback. In fact the large majority of fans hated to see him go. But, it was the vocal minority that the press focused on and will continue to focus on. It's become a perennial side story to bash Philly fans.
That said, there have been all those balls in crucial situations thrown at feet. The ill-advised scrambles as well as the obvious scrambles not taken. There is the "lacksadaisical look" that pops up now and then and the out of context smiling that just doesn't fit on critical plays and downs.And the puking didn't help. True, Philly fans are passionate about their football . . . and at least they always sell out their stadium. They are also hard working people who like to party a little after a hard week's work. Most of them are not supping at the public trough.
Truth is that the fine effort of Kolb and the continued fine effort of Donovan will, in the end, probably be a wash. What the rest of the players on the two respective teams do will be the real telling difference (Donovan didn't win all those NFC Championships all by his lonesome.) I'll be rooting for both of their success. I grew up in Philly and have been down here 17 years.
I'm an Eagskins Fan! Eagles first and the Skins just right behind. Skins get in the playoffs and Eagles don't . . .I'm rootin for the Skins flat out . . . and vice versa if Eagles get in.
I never root for Dallas . . .no self-respecting Eagles fan ever would!

Posted by: dennisbyrne | April 8, 2010 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Mr. Steinberg:

Posted by: bb10s | April 8, 2010 2:17 PM | Report abuse

Was this meant to be a trivia question or did you just forget about Brad Johnson?

Posted by: Barno1 | April 8, 2010 4:06 PM | Report abuse

Lavar is going to show Donovan around town huh? I am sure he will give Donovan a few pointers on his contract extention also!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 8, 2010 5:05 PM | Report abuse

Sorry - my bad.

Brad Johnson was a good quarterback and "Mr. Snyder" should not have disrespected him. I forgot whether he won his playoff game...

"Mr. Snyder" was also asleep at the switch regarding Trent Green - another great QB the Skins let get away!

Posted by: bb10s | April 8, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Donovan may have taken the high road, as he's always been prone to do, when it comes to talking about playing the Eagles next season, but we all know the truth.

There's no way that game won't mean just a littttle bit more.

Posted by: chump | April 9, 2010 12:08 AM | Report abuse

digger76 wrote:

Ben's Chilli Bowl sucks!

(stupid stuff clipped...)

Hey Donovan check out Johhny Rockets.

---------------------------

You're an idiot, digger76, and definitely not a real Washingtonian if you think Johnny Rockets--a chain restaurant--is better than Ben's Chili Bowl. You can't spell, either.

What a joke. Go back wherever you came from.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | April 9, 2010 9:49 AM | Report abuse

all you DC morons have no clue about McNubb or Philly. 1st of all, McN didn't and couldn't win the big game.. thats why he got so much crap. realize the Eagles never won a SB so thats why he, like Jaworski, get crap. 2nd, Johnny Rockets, Ben's Chili Bowl are garbage like the fake people who are from the DC, MD, VA area. they think they are entitled to SOMETHING when in reality no one cares about any of them. Philly people may come off as jerks but at least they are honest and straight forward. they tell it like they see it. Here's to another sub-500 record for the midget and his followers. Gotta love it.

Posted by: birdfanfromAZ | April 9, 2010 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Can we implement some type of rule where photos are no longer published with some other dude wearing #21? Ugh. Whether it's a young Smoot, Mike Nelms, or (cough cough) Deion Sanders, I just cant seem to swallow seeing someone other than Sean Taylor in that jersey.

Posted by: rob10873 | April 11, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse