Mike Williams says an offensive line can change

(By Jonathan Newton - TWP))

The best quotes from Skins minicamp on Sunday came from offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan, who said he was excited about his offensive line. I mean, you don't usually send a car screaming at 100 miles an hour into a brick wall, then piece through the wreckage and say you're excited about your brakes. Shanahan's comments, in other words, drew some raised eyebrows, though I didn't hear of any stifled laughter.

"I'm real excited about our offensive line," he said. "I mean, they talk about that that's been a weakness and stuff, but I don't see it on tape and I don't see it out on the field. I think we got some real good players....

"It's tough, when you watch tape of an old staff, you don't want to watch too much because you're not watching scheme," he continued. "You don't know what they're asking players to do, so you're not really evaluating that, you're trying to watch the individual and when you watch the individual, you do see talent."

The suggestion, then, is that this talent was somehow misused, or underused, or used and abused, or otherwise done wrong by the previous coaching staff. And while I'm sure Shanahan didn't mean it quite like that, one of his linemen made the same argument.

"I can tell you right now, it's not the same offensive line," said Mike Williams, who'll likely compete for a starting spot at right guard. "Regardless if you have the same people, or had the same people, it's not the same offensive line.

"When they're talking about we're gonna work together, we're gonna work hard, we're gonna run to the ball, we're gonna run back, it's just a different attitude, you know? We can get hung up on all the criticism and stuff like that, but you know what? A person can change. Each individual can change. Well, so can a line. The ability for a coach to tap into the talent that they have and pull it out there on the field, that's what can change from [last year's] offensive line -- even though it's the same personnel -- to this offensive line....

"We're running that thing now. We're moving. You talk about walk-through; there's no walk-through. It's a run-through. Walk, what? Run. And that's the difference, [that] and paying attention to details....

"You know, like I said, I guess the criticism still gonna be there until people see you live in action. They can criticize this team -- well, they went 4-12 -- and stuff like that. This team will pay attention to details. We will work hard, or you won't be here. And that's no secret, [Mike Shanahan] has said that before. You want to be here, you're gonna work hard. That's it."

That may be it, and Kyle Shanahan said he wasn't banking on reinforcements from the draft, but the experts think they're coming. Bodog sent along odds for who gets taken with the fourth pick on Thursday; the odds favor a lineman.

Russell Okung: 5-6
Trent Williams: Even
Jimmy Clausen: 6-1
Eric Berry: 15-2
Bryan Bulaga 11-1

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 19, 2010; 2:44 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boudreau backs his defense
Next: DeShawn's neck tattoo speaks

Comments

"Mike Williams says an offensive line can change"

Indeed it can. Especially when you add a franchise left tackle to it with the 4th pick...

Posted by: 4-12 | April 19, 2010 3:17 PM | Report abuse

"I can change, honey, I really can."

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 19, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Well, I'm sold. Let's draft a QB!

Posted by: disgruntledfan | April 19, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

sounds like we'll be trading back and adding picks from what i've read today. I don't expect the 'skins to take any of the top OT's...maybe Bruce Campbell late first early second.

Posted by: ralston21 | April 19, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ralston21 | April 19, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Eric Berry will be the pick..book it!

Posted by: ralston21 | April 19, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ralston21 | April 19, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure they'd like to trade back, but it's unlikely that they'll be able to do it. Teams are reluctant to trade up into the top 5 picks because of the money those picks are paid. Such trades have only happened 4 times in the last 10 years, and three of those times involved teams trading up to draft "franchise" QBs. There's only one consensus "franchise" QB in this draft, Bradford, and he'll be gone by the time the 'Skins pick at 4. So I think they'll pick at 4, and take OTs Okung or Williams.

Posted by: rbpalmer | April 19, 2010 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Des Bryant!

Posted by: 50midgets | April 19, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Ouch. So now we're maligning a legend? Do we really believe Buges misused the talent? Really?

(I don't know, but I always assumed he was a good o-line coach. Never heard a good player say otherwise.)

Posted by: WorstSeat | April 19, 2010 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Bookmark this one for December. Could be good for a laugh.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 19, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

There will be 8,000 people at Fedex to watch this OLine again next year unless they draft one. I was able to fend off the Redskins salesman on renewing until after the draft.

Posted by: HogsHaven | April 19, 2010 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I've now heard everything. Kyle Shanahan is going to take a porous offensive line, that one of the greatest line coach's of all time could barely make serviceable, and turn them into an effective unit. I thought Obama was the Messiah! This I've got to see.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | April 19, 2010 6:04 PM | Report abuse

Our favorite team's coach and players are optimistic about something. I know, let's mock them for it!

Some Redskins fans are just unbearable to listen to. How bout we just support our team and not look for reasons to attack them?

Posted by: Barno1 | April 19, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

SMDh..this past yr our offense was as predictable as the sun rising from the east, with that being said not matter how great a O-line is you simply cannot be successful when you're telegraphing every single play to the defense. If we (the casual fan) can predit the stretch left run every single time it's called then I'm pretty sure a professional team can sniff it out. Bottom line, the o-line will be better but not necessarily great with the personal that we have. The simple change in play calling will keep the defense on its heels thus level the playing field for the O-line. I cant wait to see the shananan trademark naked bootleg that keeps most DEs honest. HTTR

Posted by: SkinsTILiDiE | April 19, 2010 7:35 PM | Report abuse

Every coach is going to defend his players in public -- I'd say the same thing in public if I were in his position, and Coach Bugel defended his guys to the end. Who doesn't think Kyle Shanahan would love to have a big stud LT and some other new offensive lineman? It is no secret that the O-line has been a weakness. Some of the starters last year should have been backups and many were banged up. The o-line lacked quality depth. Smart teams are going to load up on offensive linemen this year. Hopefully, the Skins will prove to be one of those smart teams. Did anyone notice how many picks the Patriots have available? Maybe Haynesworth ends up in New England!

Posted by: dannykurland1 | April 19, 2010 8:07 PM | Report abuse

rbpalmer-
i agree with your analysis, but there is one possibility you overlook. We could trade down if there is a team that believes (as Mel Kiper does) that Jimmy Clausen is a franchise QB that is worth the pick, much like the Jets did in trading up to the 5th pick last year to select Mark Sanchez. I'm not saying it's a large possibility, but it is out there (especially with a few teams needing a QB badly).
If that happens, we might be able to pick up a package of picks and deal J. Campbell for another and have a decent draft (with a 1st, 2nd and 3rd rounder).

Posted by: bacaje | April 19, 2010 8:30 PM | Report abuse

The Skins being one of the smart teams is a novel idea. I would welcome it. But blind support, not anymore, been burned too many times.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | April 19, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Ah, there's the barno1 we all know and love, getting on the soapbox to tell other fans what is and isn't proper fandom.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | April 19, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

POOPY!!!! Where you been ole buddy ole pal? I missed your never-ending misinterpreting of my very easy to understand comments.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 20, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: WorstSeat

No one said it was Buges fault per se. After all, Buges had to work with the offense Jim Zorn gave him. Plus, Zorn didn't inspire or discipline the team. So maybe Buges did an outstanding job while all the other coaches sucked it up. That wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Posted by: lordtwang | April 20, 2010 4:13 AM | Report abuse

During this minicamp, I've seen a lot of changing, in the way you feel about me, and in the way I feel about you. I guess what I'm trying to say, is that if I can change, and you's can change, everybody can change!

Posted by: fushezzi | April 20, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Mike Williams says an offensive line can change ?? We will see in September....

Posted by: dc4life | April 20, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

So the Skins have been mismanaging the great OL talent they've had all these years? That's the problem? Joe Bugel with all of his experience couldn't recognize that? Come on man. It can't be that simple. Our linemen are old, and 2nd rate; that's it.

Posted by: SorrySkins | April 20, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

HAHA...youre asking a lineman who played on the FAILURE squad..who's desperatly trying to keep his job if he thinks its a good line. What do you think he's going to say. And oh by the way Bugel is the greatest O line coach ever..if Kyle thinks he knows more than him..then it's just naivate or arrogance. Neither one works out well... DRAFT LINEMEN...FORGET QB..youve already got MCBOOB...you need linemen.. New mgmt...we'll see on draft day...

Posted by: veeshul | April 20, 2010 9:28 AM | Report abuse

I agree with you Barno1 I am sick of these fare weather skins fans busting on them all the time no matter what move they make somebody has something negative to say these people are nothing but sports fan want-a-bees that think they know everything about how to run a sports franchise! they act just like the Dallas Cowboy fans.
If you don't like the skins move on go follow Dallas or the Yankees!!!!!!!!

Posted by: luckyus9160 | April 20, 2010 2:19 PM | Report abuse

This just part of the doubletalk and trickery of the days before the draft. More talk about drafting a QB and less talk about drafting an OL at 4. This is part of the game people.

Hail!

Posted by: TCM80 | April 20, 2010 3:33 PM | Report abuse

This is just part of the doubletalk and trickery of the days before the draft. More talk about drafting a QB and less talk about drafting an OL at 4. This is part of the game people.

Hail!

Posted by: TCM80 | April 20, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: fushezzi | April 20, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Hilarious...Yes We Can..

CHANGE!!

Posted by: seanjo93 | April 20, 2010 8:06 PM | Report abuse

They must be satisfied with the O-Line as all we have been doing is signing defensive linemen and QBs. While seemingly unlikely, Suh, McCoy or Bradford might be available at #4, then what?

Posted by: rob3 | April 20, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse