Nats set another lowest attendance mark

The Nats set their second franchise low for attendance in three days on Wednesday night. That probably wasn't one of the season goals.

There were plenty of fine reasons for a small crowd. It was a weekday, in April, against a non-marquee (or Marquis) opponent, in the cold, with scattered rain, against a crucial Caps playoff game and Idol Gives Back, and coming off back-to-back 100-loss season. You get the attendance you deserve, etc. etc.

Still, you'd like to imagine that 11,191 wouldn't happen. That would have been the second-lowest number for D.C. United during the 2009 campaign of on-field yuckiness and off-field disappointments. As Mark Zuckerman pointed out, the Nats' last three home crowds, combined, would come about 4,000 souls short of filling up the place. All were under 15,400. The Nats only went under that number three times all of last season, when the low attendance was 12,473.

These photos were taken in the first inning, and I'm guessing things filled out a bit after that. But there's some decent baseball being played down there, and even the most ardent pessimists are allowing themselves to wonder, and yet this year's team is getting the crowds that last year's team deserved. That doesn't seem exactly right.

(Photos via @GovGW and @Presidents_Race)

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 21, 2010; 11:57 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alex Ovechkin is awake
Next: Carey Price loses his cool

Comments

Maybe they should have shown the Caps game on the big screen. People might have shown up to see that.

Posted by: metatext | April 22, 2010 12:03 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, they're over 500, but I went to the game Sunday and saw them fall behind 10-0 in the first inning. Then I attended the game Tuesday and saw them fall behind 10-0 in the third inning. Can't say I'm that gung-ho about going back to Nats Park anytime before Strasburg arrives after that experience

Posted by: TheFingerman | April 22, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Attendance figures usually do take a bit longer to catch up when news get better for a team. The lack of full season's ticket holders really hurts this year.

Posted by: EricS2 | April 22, 2010 12:46 AM | Report abuse

"and yet this year's team is getting the crowds that last year's team deserved. That doesn't seem exactly right."

That's often the way things go in the world of sports. It takes a while for the attendance numbers to catch up with reality.

If the Nats keep playing good ball, people will start to notice.

Posted by: Brashnir | April 22, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

C'mon CAPS game plus it rained all day and they are playing the Rockies. Let's judge the figures after the NHL and NBA are over and we actually get to see some warmer termperatures.

Posted by: raybell84 | April 22, 2010 1:39 AM | Report abuse

It seems to make you happy does it not Dan, I thought you had your snark fill last year . BTW while low it was not the lowest in MLB and the last few days have produced the lowest figures for all of MLB in years. But I guess those facts just are not important if a good snark is on the line.

Posted by: CBinDC | April 22, 2010 3:23 AM | Report abuse

Thanks to a combination of league revenue sharing and the MASN money more than offsetting their bargain basement payroll Ted Lerner was still in the black for the night and that is all that ever mattered to the old man.

A game like that pre-Lerner the stands at RFK would have been bouncing like crazy in the ninth.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 22, 2010 5:44 AM | Report abuse

@raybell84

One of my co-workers considers the Rockies a marquee opponent and loves their good young players. But I'm sure the on and off rain and the presence of the Caps in the playoffs greatly diminished the attendance.

If the Nats keep it up, attendance will improve.

Posted by: CapsFan75 | April 22, 2010 6:42 AM | Report abuse

Remember this in a few years, when and if the Nationals become a winner. The true D.C. fans will show up and all of a sudden become the greatest fans in baseball. Sounds familiar doesnt it? Can you say Caps fans?

Posted by: catcher1 | April 22, 2010 7:11 AM | Report abuse

So what do you think of all of the fans who attended last week or past seasons, catcher1? The Phonebooth wasn't always empty and I remember some packed Cap Centres.

Posted by: sitruc | April 22, 2010 7:25 AM | Report abuse

The pace is too slow and you have to pass through half a war zone of a ghetto to get there with no parking at the stadium. Out of political correctness and the desire to prop up the civilian end of a failing and corrupt city, they put the stadium in the WRONG place, the WRONG town. All while paying little mind to the fact that paying customers are out in Va. and Md. and will have no part of this debacle no matter HOW much they want to sit in the sun and have a dog and a beer. It's a matter of the safety of your family, the time, the travel, the risk to your vehicle, your belongings, the inflated expense, all of it. Worst experience in MLB, no doubt about it. Baltimore, here I come. Except as a Boston resident, I can now head to Fenway.

I hope they're happy in D.C. with this mess they've created.

Posted by: JamesChristian | April 22, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

Agree with some of the comments over the past 2 years about the whole stadium experience - it kind of sucks. This is a huge factor in the decisions to attend games. There is no neighborhood "feel" going to the ballpark and it's a big hassle for the casual fan to walk up and go to a game. Any momentum for season ticket holder and other was squandered by the inability to field even a remotely competitive team. Even with some future success (they're a long way from playoff caliber), the fan base will remain small. Sure, they'll fill them up for the Phillies, Cards, and Dodgers, and I'm sure that'll keep the figures higher than reality, but baseball is a third or fourth tier sport on the DC landscape and that ain't going to change.

Posted by: bendersx6 | April 22, 2010 8:09 AM | Report abuse

considering the attendance numbers, and the cost of "refreshments" at the game, cost of parking, cost of tickets, perhaps there needs to be the realizing that their pricing is simply incorrect.

Other than the Sunday special where I might get lucky and only blow $70, I can expect to spend well over $100 to come to a game. Last year, I tried to attend the Randy Johnson 300th potential win game, which was rained out. I dropped probably $240 (family of 5). Then had to come back for a makeup game, at which I dropped at least another $100 (parking and food).

I would love to come to more games, just like I'd love to go see more movies at the movie theater, but I'm not spending $75 to take my kids to the movie theater, nor $200 to go to a ball game for 3 hours. It's TOO much money. It's why I bought a 67" HD TV. It's why I bought a Blu Ray.

The Nats, all things consider, should start doing a ticket giveaway at various local schools and forget about trying to make money off attendance right now, but worry about building a fanbase for Baseball, in a town that only follows Football, has youth that only play Basketball, and a sports fandom that is at least exciting about watching the only winner in town, the Caps.

I mean, if I wanted to blow $300 to watch a sport, I'd rather "blow" that money on the Caps, even though I like Baseball more. At least the Caps might actually WIN the Cup during this run.

Want more attendance, make all tickets half off and food half price until you actually have a winning season. :)

Posted by: Rogueone | April 22, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

I'm from St Louis, and the Cardinals--even this year--routinely send me emails within 2-3 days of games offering all-inclusive, half-price tickets for prime seats.

The Nats?

The Lerners will cut you a deal, too. Twenty-five percent off outfield seats.

If I were the Lerners, I'd cut ticket prices just to generate some buzz around the team. Fill the stadium.

Baseball in front of a sparse crowd stinks, no matter who the teams are.

Posted by: MyJobsMyCredit | April 22, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Many teams throughout MLB, winners and losers alike, are experiencing the smallest crowds their relatively new stadiums have seen. There's a better reason for this than merely the NHL/NBA playoffs and the weather (which has actually been pretty good overall for April).

The economy has turned pretty sour and a lot of people, many of whom are baseball fans, no longer have the disposable income required to attend MLB games at current prices. But none of the teams have lowered these prices. Two BAD seats ad Nationals Park run $70, and if you add two beers each to that price suddenly you're over $100. If you're trying to take a family of four, double that and add some hot dogs and peanuts and you're approaching THREE HUNDRED BUCKS! And forget about parking!

I remember going to Senators games when I was a kid out of my allowance, and believe me when I tell you that my parents were real pikers in that regard. But I could get on the bus for a quarter and get into Griffith Stadium for fifty cents, and see baseball just as good as they play today (and with the extra added bonus of having had most of the players staying put with my team most of my life because of the reserve clause, so I rooted for actual PLAYERS that I felt I knew rather than merely for their uniforms as we do today).

If MLB lets people afford to go to games, more of them will. That's a pretty simple equation.

But anybody who says things like, "You have to pass through half a war zone of a ghetto to get there," is just ignorant and obviously has never attended a game at Nationals Park, and probably lives out of town and has never even visited here since the Park was built. There is no ghetto between the Navy Yards Metro Station and the stadium. It is a short and pleasant walk in an interesting, carnival atmosphere.

Posted by: FergusonFoont | April 22, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

I'd have to think that the Capitals game did cause some people to stay home. But God help us all if American Idol was a factor. I refuse to believe that any Nats fan watches that crap.

Posted by: MKadyman | April 22, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

I wouldn't put too much into the attendance as there are some factors to be considered...

1. The weather
2. A work day
3. It's still only April and game 15

I had an opportunity to go to last nights game free, but considering the weather and getting downtown during rush hour was too hectic especially when you work in Alexandria live in Woodbridge and have to deal with traffic.

Posted by: papaskynz | April 22, 2010 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Dan, you already said it best, "this year's team is getting the attendance last year's team deserves."

Boswell has said it at least a dozen times - attendance figures tend to lag a year.

Beyond that toss in whatever factor you want, but the bottom line, and the Nats know this, DC is an event town - win and people will show up.

I personally love that as a baseball geek I can go to the ballpark and watch a game with people who actually care about watching the game. Of course the Nats will need to win and sellout to make money and that will be fun, but all you fair weather fans, "I'll show up when Strasburg comes" annoy me. Sorry, that's mean I know, I'm sure you are wonderful human beings and I'm just being curmudgeonly, but that's life.

Go Nats!

Posted by: ryaneades | April 22, 2010 8:57 AM | Report abuse

PB69: Yeah, I miss RFK too.

It's also harder to convince my wife to go... she much preferred RFK to Nats Park. Clint does not help at all, nor does all the crass commercialism. But hey, money from advertisers is better than money from fans, right? I do wonder who will see the ads in an empty park...

Posted by: cassander | April 22, 2010 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Hahaha, I just read JamesChristian's response. I haven't seen ignorance like that posted in quite some time. How laughable.

How is Boston, aka - the whitest, least diverse, most racist city in the North - working out for you anyways? Actually, based on your response above, its' probably a perfect fit for you.

Glad you are there, we don't want you here. Now go away from our message board too and spew your ignorance elsewhere please.

Posted by: ryaneades | April 22, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

As a United fan, watching his team and stadium crumble this only adds insult to injury. "America's Pastime" drawing less than *commie ball*? Pathetic.

Posted by: DadRyan | April 22, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Boswell warned the Lerners that this would happen. They spent their goodwill with those to back-to-back 100 loss seasons. Now they need to continue winning to woo back those fans who witnessed it.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 22, 2010 9:12 AM | Report abuse

I hope the Lerners are paying attention. Until you open your wallets and get a quality product on the field (not one that gives up 10 runs), people aren't going to come to the games. Also, go Caps! Too bad Leonsis can't own the Nats too. Sure he'd do a great job.

Posted by: futbolclif | April 22, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

And since when did games start at 6:30? rush hour traffic is still bad at 6pm. I agree with rogueone, they should do whatever just to get young people there and build the fan base. And they'd make some money on concessions in the short term.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 22, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Season ticket base 2005: 22,000

2008: 18,000

2009: 12,000 (estimate)

2010: below 10,000 (estimate.

The Lerners, through putting a poor team on the field and engaging in some of the most inept PR and marketing in professional sports, have squandered goodwill and eroded their customer base. It will come back, in time. But don't blame the stadium, the neighborhood, or especially the fans.

This is much more a baseball town than it ever was or will be a hockey town, but you can't drive away more than half your customer base and get it back overnight.

Posted by: Meridian1 | April 22, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

To the team's defense, it has been cold and rainy the two games with low attendance, and as much as I love baseball, I wouldn't attend either in that weather unless I had ridiculous free seats.

The Nats will be fine, but it will take time. This town has shown that they will jump on a bandwagon (See: Capitals) the second it's trendy. The Nats aren't trendy.

I look at it like this, if your a real baseball fan, enjoy this time. It's fun to go to the ballpark and stand by your team in the tough times. And these games are free of tools who boo in situations that don't require it. When the team does turn around you can shut them up by asking them a simple question, like, who was the manager of the team pre-Riggleman...then tell them to sit down.

All Nats fans need to head to Harrisburg, Strasburg is a special player and worth the watch. Trek the 2 hours, pay 10 bucks and sit 5 rows away from the field behind home plate, you won't regret it.

Posted by: superyoda41 | April 22, 2010 9:19 AM | Report abuse

@James Christian:

Tell us how you really feel... If you think Nats Stadium is in a war torn ghetto, then you, my friend, have never seen a ghetto! I have NEVER felt unsafe at a Nats game. Go ahead and root for your Red Sox. You won't be missed. As for me, I'll be at the game tonight rooting for the home team!!

Posted by: MEssex | April 22, 2010 9:20 AM | Report abuse

@sitruc: I remember going to Caps playoff games, buying tickets the day of the game, and chanting with my Pittsburgh buddies "Empty seats...empty seats!"

Posted by: Handsome_John_Pruitt | April 22, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I agree with other comments, its going to take sometime, most people in DC still do not have confidence that the Nats are contenders, and until they really believe it, the stadium is going to be empty. Add high prices for tickets and food, and there's your problem.

Its not just a Nats problem, attendance in Cleveland, our friends up in Baltimore, Toronto, Pittsburgh, Kansas City, etc. if your owners don't care about trying to field a winner, its hard to get excited. I was at a Mets game two weeks, ago and it was pretty empty at Citi Field. Really its a MLB problem, parity is needed, and this recession doesn't help.

Posted by: jro1 | April 22, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

@casssander

RFK had a great baseball field but was and is rapidly turning into a pit (see DadRyan). And indirectly to others, there are literally no "bad" seats at NATS Park and what hassle "walking up" to the Park. You got to Gallery Place or L'Enfant ride Green Line to Navy Yard, exit to Half Steet and you are there? Boz said it and it's true attendace is based on the prior year at leas early on.

As to the whiners about prices. The tickets pricing is fine (they will get worse with success--CAPS raised prices for next year) and no one if forcing you to buy inside the stadium. Go to the BullPen. Games for Kids and cheap (but highly limited)food. Finally (long winded today), what's the point of ragging on prices and players' attitudes and saleries 50!! years ago. Sheesh!

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | April 22, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Until the new stadium can offer parking options at least comparable to RFK, I will not go to as many games. Add to the poor parking options the awful Opening Day experience of being surrounded by Philly fans Kasten invited and I'm not motivated, even though I continue to support the team - and I'm enjoying the MASN game announcers.

I got to a late season Caps game and a neighboring fan said that Leonsis rigged things years back to stop callers from Pittsburgh or Philly from getting through to buy tickets. That's probably urban legend but the point is that fans believe Leonsis wants to build a winner and also wants to support his team's fans. So far that's not the feeling the Lerners or Kasten are creating.

Posted by: Carl6 | April 22, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

@CapsFan75

I referenced the Rockies, not because of their record but because they don't have the fan base in Washington a northeast of midwest team would.

Posted by: raybell84 | April 22, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse

Nats Park is very utilitarian, with nice open concourses, but not much to look at other than the baseball field. Not saying RFK was a gleaming cathedral, but for the money spent, the city got hosed.

But the real problem with Nats Park is how it's presented. You have the owner hawking tickets to the worst fans in sports. And the ingame "entertainment" is the worst I've ever seen. Clint is dreadful and whenever baseball isn't being played, VERY LOUD ads are blaring in your ears. It's awful and it's very hard to convince anyone who isn't a diehard fan to go.

Visiting Altoona to see Strasburg pitch, I saw how a game should be put on. Athletic, charismatic mascots entertained between innings, not some creepy awful MC. Nothing was overly loud and the inbetween innings stuff was actually amusing and didn't feel like a giant "SAVE MONEY WITH GEICO" fest. Hell, I even got tped by a mascot... how cool is that? It was fun.

In contrast, Harrisburg seems to be mini-Nats Park. They have a Clint-clone ruining the entire experience and their park, new as it may be, is nothing compared to the gem in Altoona. On a positive note, they do have bouncy seats which is fantastic, but the commercialism is the worst I've seen anywhere in the world. I wish I was joking, but they even had a a National Anthem "sponsored" by a furniture company... and while the National Anthem was being sung, they ran ads for the furniture company on the video screens over a stars and stripes background. Least they haven't sunk to that at Nats Park... yet.

Posted by: cassander | April 22, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Mr Christian!!! Have you taken the Negro slaves from down below and taken them to the market? yeah that's exactly what you sound like somebody's masa don't bother posting on this board anymore and take your bigoted opinion with you and your below.500 ballclub(DEAD SOX).

Posted by: dargregmag | April 22, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

Don't blame it all on last year's performance. The team has treated its fans terribly. I was a season ticket holder in 2008. Worst entertainment value ever. Chastised by ushers for putting my feet up. Only selling the back half of the sections so the game day sales can all be snatched up by opposing fans. I sat behind Mets, Cubs, Braves fans until I couldn't stand it anymore. Not to mention the Phillies fans.

Gave up the season tickets (I'm one of the real baseball fans who hates the Lerners).

Opening Day? The Lerners can gouge the out-of-town fans, but I'm done with those jerks.

Camden Yards blows Nationals Park out of the water - simple fact.

Posted by: bflorhodes | April 22, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

When, oh when is DC United gonna get the same sweetheart deal for a stadium in the District?

At least we'd have a full stadium watching our team fail.

Thx,

Jay!

Posted by: jayrockers | April 22, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I guess those Detroit attendance figures I threw out 2 days ago had no effect on you Steinberg. Again for the 8000th time. If a team is coming off 2 straight 100 loss season the attendance will suffer in the following season. Its not Rocket science. If the team keeps winning the attendance will go up. IT'S THAT SIMPLE. Steinberg you're better then this and I provided you with a pretty good comparison with the Tigers stats. Again I ask EVERYONE HERE. to find a team that lost 100 games and then got the attendance the Nats did last year.

Posted by: JDB1 | April 22, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

what does charlie casserly think of this?

Posted by: rev_ollie | April 22, 2010 10:17 AM | Report abuse

and why no mention of Pittsburghs 12,000 last night, Cinci's 12,000, the braves had 21,000 against the defending NL champs, the whit sox 17,000, Toronto's 14,000. These bogs over attendance are a joke. Get some facts, do some historical analysis of baseball attendance and how it is related to how teams did the previous year.

Posted by: JDB1 | April 22, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

"0-4 DC United nearly outdrew the Natinals on Saturday (within a few hundred) and United was directly up against a home Caps game.

At least we'd have a full stadium watching our team fail."

________________________________________

The dc united has been a succesful organization, Hence they have an established loyal fanbase. The idiocy continues

Posted by: JDB1 | April 22, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

what does charlie casserly think of this?
---------

hehaheha!! he must be on the payroll.

Posted by: gatsu | April 22, 2010 10:28 AM | Report abuse

To Mr Christens brain vomit of a post I have only one thing to say

PICK A FINGER BOOBY

Posted by: CBinDC | April 22, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

JamesChristian: That ghetto you are talking about is a conrete plant. You know the stuff they make buildings and bridges and stuff from. No people live in the plant dude. Its also not dangerous, try not to be such a wuss. I bet you have duct tape and plastic wrap in your basement "just in case."

Posted by: bob29 | April 22, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

Carl6, it's very true. The Caps will try everything in their power to avoid selling to people living it Pittsburgh and Philly, as well as people in the DC area who ONLY buy for the Pittsburgh of Philly games. And as a Caps fan, I thrilled by that.

I continue to be shocked by how out-of-touch Nats leadership is. They seem to have successfully alienated the majority of potential Nationals fans, and seem completely unconcerned by it.

Posted by: RedBirdie | April 22, 2010 11:07 AM | Report abuse

@JamesChristian

YOU SIR, are an idiot.

I'll be at the game tonight with 10 of my friends, enjoying baseball in our nations capital, drinking suds that only the cathedral of baseball can provide, and watching our Washington DC Nationals take the series from a playoff contender. Life is grand. Who is with me?!

Nothing is over until we decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? Hell no!

Posted by: NatsandSkinsareclassclassclass | April 22, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Since never? Not even a single game at Nationals Park has started at 6:30 this season, nor is one scheduled to start at that time all season.

-----

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 22, 2010 11:22 AM | Report abuse

MLB and the Lerners have squandered all the goodwill they had a few years ago. It is up to the Nats to win the fans back. Not fair to the players, and I really feel for Zimmerman, but that is the way it is.

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 22, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

@JamesChristian

Get out of our city you idiot. Everyone knows you can take the train and instead of walking through a "warzone" or what ever you call it, you walk a half a block through some new development and you right at the doorstep. You just hear the stadium is in SE and you automatically jump to your idiotic conclusions. Go back to Boston we don't want your kind here. We're happy with our stadium.

Posted by: ys343 | April 22, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

And enough of this "I have to spend $300 to go to the game" malarkey.

Take Metro. Bring water. Buy peanuts at the grocery store. Get $10 terrace seats.

You don't have to build a Screech or buy five beers at every game you attend. You also don't have to bring your family of three or five or twelve to every game you attend. How about you just bring your wife for a date night? Or your oldest son for his birthday? Or hit up a weekday afternoon game by yourself?

There are 81 home games a year. You don't have to make it an all-inclusive vacation every time you go.

If you actually want to go and consider it cost-prohibitive, you're pricing yourself out of the experience.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 22, 2010 11:32 AM | Report abuse

BTW, they should pay Leonsis on a consulting basis. Sure, the fact that the Caps have become really good is the big factor. But the use of the website, blogs, student discounts, giveaways, logos and catch phrases have been masterful in building the fan base.

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 22, 2010 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Hey Fingerman,

You've been to 2 games this year and both times and each time the Nats went down by 10 runs before the 3rd inning was over?!? Do us all a favor and just stay home and watch the games on MASN!! : - )

Posted by: CoachD1 | April 22, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

The Nats should have a 50cent beer night!

Posted by: MrWillie | April 22, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Been to one game. Ticket prices are outrageous, especially for a bad team. Not going back.

And I can name the batting order for the 1969 Senators: Unser, Stroud, Howard, Epstein, McMullen, Rodriguez, Brinkman, Allen, Casanova and, Lord help us, Denny McClain.

Posted by: InTheMiddle | April 22, 2010 2:11 PM | Report abuse

And since when did games start at 6:30? rush hour traffic is still bad at 6pm.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 22, 2010 9:18 AM

Today's game is at 4:35 - to help the Rockies get out of town this evening and to their next game tomorrow in Florida. That's why they call it a "get away day". Welcome to baseball, I think you'll like it, it's been around for about 150 years.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 22, 2010 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 22, 2010 11:32 AM

Why - the guys makes $6 million playing the game he loves, with teammates he likes in an area he's happy in. I guess he cries himslef to sleep on his Gold Glove and Silver Slugger awards.

He'll be here for 10 more years, the wins will come.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 22, 2010 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Hey Steinberg - everybody hates the owners. It's got nothing to do with the team. Hence you see drastic things that can't be explained by performance. Maybe people are tired of 3 billion dollar scheisters constantly talking about the bottom line. Hebrew Nationals>

Posted by: Brue | April 22, 2010 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Would it be unreasonable to think that the low attendance is in part due the unreasonably high ticket and concession prices and the fact that we are in a recession? I would venture a guess that the marketing geniuses haven't really figured out the correct price points.

Posted by: clocker58 | April 22, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

For those of you complaining about how much it costs to take your family because of concessions and parking:

Take the metro and bring your own food. You can bring a meal for each person and a 1 liter bottle of water for each person. Buy $10 seats and for a family of 4 you've paid $40 for seats, roughly $10 for the metro and whatever you paid for the food you would have eaten at home anyway. This is the cheapest major league sporting event in town.

Posted by: lordscarlet1 | April 23, 2010 9:55 AM | Report abuse