Portis: McNabb didn't have a lot of talent in Philly

Give Clinton Portis credit for this; when he sits down for long interviews, he doesn't hesitate to speak his mind.

"I played behind the lines that got injured," he told 106.7 The Fan's Chris Russell this week. "We lost Chris Samuels, we lost Jon Jansen, we lost Randy Thomas. I was always part of those makeshift lines. I still performed, I still got it done, I still gave everything I had. You look at the other top guys in the league, they solid. Their [lines] are there from week one, to wherever they end up in the playoffs. You look at me - we played with a makeshift line probably six out of the seven years, [where] we had the same linemen started off week one and finish that week 17.

"I don't discredit anything I've done in this league. I think a true football guru would know the situations I've been in. I'm not harping for any appreciation or attention. I think, I just have to go out and get it done and have fun doing it."

In the interview -- which you should read -- Portis also says he never went above Jim Zorn's head, that "the outside world would never know" everything that happened last season, but that the situation in D.C. wasn't meant for Zorn. And he also suggested that the Redskins are more talented than the Eagles teams that Donovan McNabb took deep into the playoffs.

"Everybody hot because he's never been to the big one, but how many people get to the championship game?" Portis said. "If we can get to the championship game, I promised Donovan -- he'll have some help. If you get us to the championship game, somebody else will take over. I'll definitely be looking forward to that. I don't think he had a lot of talent in Philly, but he made it all work."

Read the rest here.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 29, 2010; 1:12 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Montreal takes series win in stride
Next: Brooks Laich changes a tire after Game 7

Comments

Every time I hear CP speak, I get the idea for a revision of "My Fair Lady".

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | April 29, 2010 1:36 PM | Report abuse

He had a lot of talent on defense. And I would argue Westbrook was more effective than Portis, for the most part. I hope McNabb takes the Skins deep, but these players need to hold off on this championship talk.

Posted by: CDon | April 29, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Amen Portis. I love me some CP...don't ever change buddy.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 29, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

I was hoping he'd be gone and would have to put up with his ego anymore. A football guru might say he's a pain in the....neck.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 29, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

idiot on parade - too funny

now he has to constantly justify himself and fight his shaky status in interviews. shut up and practice.

Posted by: greatteamdan | April 29, 2010 1:59 PM | Report abuse

Geez Portis shut up and practice. Be a team player and quit trying to be a general manager.
On a good note I had the good fortune to meet former Redskins Tom Carter and Ken Jenkins as well as NFLPA president Demaurice Smith at Quantico this morning . All three were great to meet and talk to to. I'm sure they enjoyed their day at Quantico Marine Corps Base.
Thanks
Mike

Posted by: mikedownes | April 29, 2010 2:07 PM | Report abuse

To be fair, Portis is usually responding to a direct question.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 29, 2010 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Portis will move past 10,000 yards this year (he's at 9,696 right now). He's 28 years old. All he needs are 2,583 more yards in his career to move into 10th ALL TIME IN THE NFL. And he blocks well too. Yep, sure hate that guy.

Posted by: WrongDog | April 29, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

I really need to wait to place my Redskin's Super Bowl win bet until Portis is done talking the "talented" team out of another championship.

Posted by: clandestinetomcat | April 29, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

On the one hand, Portis bashes the O-line... on the other, he says the Skins have more talent than Philly.

Last I checked, Coach Shanahan was in the process of gutting the team.

Posted by: Alan4 | April 29, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Portis is a beast on thre football field you haters and he is absolutely correct not only did he play behind makeshift lines we also didn't have a reliable passing game so teams put 8 in the box...

Posted by: BeatDontStop | April 29, 2010 3:51 PM | Report abuse

He reminds me of the old adage: "Those who know, don't talk. Those who talk, don't know."

I hope he puts as much energy into getting prepared for the upcoming season as he does talking.

Posted by: zonk68 | April 29, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Now that's funny. He may suck but Purposeless is a funny guy.

Posted by: Dog11 | April 29, 2010 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Hey Clinton ..where were you this year when the O Line didn't exist ?

Perhaps your time might be better spent on conditioning and attending the local High School trying to learn the English you obviously missed at the great U ?

Posted by: petebowling1 | April 29, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Portis thinks there is more talent in DC right now than McNabb had the last few years? Um, OK. I premise that McNabb will get hurt long before the season is over. Sort of like the Capitals will lose in a game 7.

Posted by: isotla | April 29, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WrongDog | April 29, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Amen. One of the best back in history, no question.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 29, 2010 4:55 PM | Report abuse

He can't look forwad. He's always trying to patch up his average statistics.

Can't he talk about what positive things he is doing currently to help ensure that we have a productive running game. Always complaining about the past.

Get over it Portis. Live for today. Practice hard. Wait, you talkin' about PRACTICE?

I hope he talkes some day about the need for practice, teamwork, leadership by example, and great work ethics.

Enough of why you aren't considered amung the best. Just work hard and focus on being the best you can be NOW not yesterday.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | April 29, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone so mad at Portis? What did he say that wasn't true? He has an ego for sure, but so do a lot of hall of fame level players, which is what Portis is if you look at his stats and the limited help he has had. Bunch of complainers round here, and they aren't even complaining about the right things most of the time. Ungrateful people need to shut up about CP. I think of him n Moss n Cooley as the most Redskinny Redskins we've got on this team (although I think Orakpo may soon become the greatest Redskin of this century) and the work Portis has done on the field should be appreciated. To quote AI "We talkin bout some practice!" Shut it.

Posted by: bosshog7169 | April 29, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Allen cut 10+ players not long ago, and according to Rick Maese "since Mike Shanahan was hired as coach in January, the Redskins have added 33 players via draft, trade and free agency." (RI 04/29/10 2:22pm)

What does that all mean? The Redskins are not the same "talented" team that CP seems to still be stuck on from last year. New team. New.

I think CP is still suffering from a concussion - he still thinks its 2009.

Posted by: hithere1 | April 29, 2010 5:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: WrongDog | April 29, 2010 2:21 PM

Posted by: BeatDontStop

That's the way you tell it!

Posted by: jcnjcnj | April 29, 2010 6:34 PM | Report abuse

Go CP !!! love em...he's gonna kick ass this year.

Posted by: NYskinsfan2 | April 29, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

Everytime I hear Portis speak I think that The U should be ashamed of themselves for having allowed this FUNCTIONAL ILLITERATE to go to that school for 3-4 years and to let him leave there with the poorest speaking skills I have EVER HEARD!

He speaks English worse than some people who just moved here from Europe or The Middle East! I have SECOND & THIRD graders with better control of the language than this IDIOT!

DISGRACEFUL!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | April 29, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Can anyone please get Portis a Rosetta Stone English CD so he can speak like an intelligent adult. I literally need a translator when he is ont he radio.

Posted by: doyouktt | April 29, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

shut up about the english foolishness, which by the way is a european language and the last I checked portis is NOT a european his original language(s)was stomped into the ground thru his ancestors by way of europeans by the savagery of so-called slavery. many of you here just speak a dialect of english from america nothing more or less,it is NOT his language of origin deal with it.

Posted by: wathu19 | April 29, 2010 10:08 PM | Report abuse

If you don't appreciate Clinton Portis, you are not a true Skins fan. Let's give credit where credit is due, Clinton Portis is a great running back, he carried this team for several years on his back. I expect him to have a great year. It is surprising that out of all the good enthusiasm that Portis displayed, some simpleton still find a way to criticize the guy, shame on you!

Posted by: abxinc | April 29, 2010 10:31 PM | Report abuse

DISGRACEFUL!

Posted by: whatyoutalkinboutman | April 29, 2010 8:35 PM

You are not particularly brilliant with your tenses professor!

Posted by: abxinc | April 29, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

WHY IS THIS WORTHLESS WASTE OF A JOCK STRAP STILL TALKING?? WHY IS IT STILL ON THE "TEAM?"

I AM SO SICK OF THIS PUNK I AM READY TO THROW UP!! SOMEBODY TAKE OUT THE TRASH, PLEASE!!!!

Posted by: iubiquity | April 30, 2010 12:27 AM | Report abuse

I watched every McNabb game for 10 years and you Redskin fans will get frustrated very fast. His accuracy is terrible. He rarely hits a receiver in stride. If you subtracted all of his 3rd down completions that didn't get a 1st down, you'd probably take 10% off his completion percentage. What's not reported is that his teammates lost confidence in him. Brian Baldinger nailed it with his comments on McNabb.

Posted by: DonnieLowThrow | April 30, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

I'd be lots more interested in Portis' self-aggrandizing comments if he practiced during the week and in preseason.

Practice??? This is about Practice??? Yeah, its about Practice. Put simply, Portis is a lazy prima donna. Giving effort only on Sunday just isn't that impressive.

Posted by: ndickover | May 1, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse