Redskins fans have McNabb fever

Aside from the extreme confidence displayed by Mike Shanahan and DeAngelo Hall on Saturday, my biggest takeaway from the FedEx Field draft party was this: D.C. has a bad case of McNabb fever. Even while Colt Brennan's No. 5 jerseys went on sale for 11 bucks in the bargain aisle, there were No. 5 burgundy and gold McNabb jerseys on all sorts of torsos: black and white, male and female, young and old, long-haired and short, skinny and fatty.

This, bear in mind, is mere weeks after his arrival. Imagine what the crowd will look like in September, after several more months of birthday presents, shopping sprees, and realizations that many of your most popular Skins jerseys (Campbell, Smoot, Randle El, Griffin, Samuels) are no longer operational. You have to figure McNabb will have the top-selling Skins jersey next season, finally displacing Chris Cooley from that spot.

He might have been a hated rival in the very recent past, but he's already on his way to becoming the face of the franchise, at least judging by these backs.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 26, 2010; 11:49 AM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fred Smoot says he'll always be a part of D.C.
Next: Chris Cooley on the Redskins' changes

Comments

Dan, I bet you in a decade a Chris Samuels Skins jersey will be more "operational" than a McNabb one.

Posted by: jmink4a5 | April 26, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

The Danny is lovin' life.
Large $$$$.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 26, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

The whole jersey-selling business is one of the biggest scams in the NFL, to me.

I support the team, the colors and the city, so if I'm buying some clothing it's having one of those. But buying jerseys doesn't make sense to me since these guys come and go every season, and have a tendency to display character flaws that ought to make you not want to wear their jersey (Roethlisberger, Vick, Holmes, Barber are recent names). Plus, authentic jerseys are some of the most expensive sports items around.

I applaud the fans for supporting their team and wearing the colors, but my personal opinion is I would only wear a retired or former player (Green, Riggins, Jorgenson, S.Taylor) or clothing with only the team logo or colors. I just think all these people buying up McNabb jerseys so quickly are just stuffing Dan Snyder and the NFL's pockets. Authentic jersey: $225, customized jersey: $285. That's a lot for a player who hasn't played a snap and might not be here next year. And as we see repeatedly, individual sports figures have a tendency to turn around and let us all down with some heinous criminal or personal act (or maybe they just decide to stop practicing or supporting their team like Portis and Haynesworth). Again, just my personal opinion but if I'm wearing anything it's team, colors, city.

Posted by: jimwest20 | April 26, 2010 12:18 PM | Report abuse

This is disgusting. In two years' time, these will all be as relevant as Mark Brunell jerseys. But hey, if you've got $80 to blow, go ahead.

Another reason why my throwback Rypien jersey was an excellent investment: a Super Bowl MVP will never cease to be 'operational'.

Posted by: EALukas | April 26, 2010 12:20 PM | Report abuse

No doubt...If you want to take less risk, get a Darrell Green jersey, Monk, etc. I've got an authentic Sean Taylor jersey and I know it will always be "Operational". I can't even buy a Cooley jersey as much as I'd love to because he could get traded someday...That's just reality...Get one with Theisman or Jurgensen or someone who's in the History Books.

Posted by: Skinsational | April 26, 2010 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Santonio Holmes was the MVP of Super Bowl XLIV. And his jersey just became non-operational for a whole bunch of Steeler fans (as did Roethlisberger's).

I'm just busting your chops ... I know what you meant and I agree with you.

Posted by: jimwest20 | April 26, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

$200-300 jerseys (for essentially hero worship)? What a bunch of children. You all have lost your mind.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 26, 2010 12:30 PM | Report abuse

what's with the one of the kid about 3/4ths of the way down? looks to me like a red version of an eagles jersey, judging by the typeface...man i spend too much time on uniwatch

Posted by: hockeypunk | April 26, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

The only benefit of buying a Redskins McNabb jersey is to where it to the road games when the Caps play at Philly next week.

Posted by: HogsHaven | April 26, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I think buying an Orakpo jersey will be a safe buy for 8-10 years. Including pro bowl jerseys.

Posted by: Mike4169 | April 26, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

$nyder is counting the money in the back, laughing at all of the suckers! Come week 5, when he gets hurt behind this porous offensive line, he'll still be laughing, yet the fans will not be.

Posted by: HawksPride | April 26, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

did anyone else notice the McNabb jersey that looks slightly different than the rest?? (4th row from the bottom, on the right. person with black hat)

Posted by: 3tripleiii | April 26, 2010 1:06 PM | Report abuse

I am unclear why Skins fans are so fast to buy jerseys. Slow down fellas!

Posted by: law3 | April 26, 2010 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Maybe I'm just old-fashioned or strange or both, but I'll never, ever understand why/how a grown man would wear another grown man's name on his back.

Posted by: BMoreChil | April 26, 2010 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Do they have any official game field jerseys for sale too?

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | April 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

3trip ~ I noticed that too. The font used makes me think that it's an Iggles practice jersey (replica). Ya know, how the QB wears red (so he doesn't get hit or somethin')?

Posted by: Md2CaliSkins | April 26, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Gyyaahhh !! That's just what Danny the Snyder wants you to do, people! At least wait for the guy to play and see how he produces before buying the d*mn jersey.

Posted by: cfw730 | April 26, 2010 1:37 PM | Report abuse

Can we take a break from the Skins, Dan? Draft day is over. The Caps are in the playoffs. The Nats are off to a decent start for the first time in 5 years. Can we please focus on something relevant?

Posted by: jboogie1 | April 26, 2010 1:49 PM | Report abuse

I'll buy one when he wins us an NFC championship.

Posted by: jboogie1 | April 26, 2010 1:50 PM | Report abuse

This is the exact reason why I do not buy the jerseys with the new players' names on them. They will be obsolete in the next few years. I have one and wear it and it is Theismann #7.

Posted by: ladyredskins | April 26, 2010 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Always, always go with the jerseys of players from the past! I wore my Bobby Mitchell jersey to the Draft Day party and he was tickled to see me wearing it.

Posted by: stwasm | April 26, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm still scared to purchase my #51 Coleman jersey...

Posted by: Scoonie97 | April 26, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

What is with the delusion around here?? I've been a Redskins fan since I was a kid in the '70s, but I just don't remember it ever being so crazy as under Snyder. EVERY offseason, we're going to the Super Bowl, and whatever big signing we've had is THE answer. This year it's McNabb. Last year it was Haynesworth. Before that, Jason Taylor. And that's not counting the coaching "answers" -- Zorn, Al Saunders, Gibbs, Schottenheimer, and Spurrier. (Snyder would be wise to have his coaches wear jerseys and sell those, too.)

People, wake up. McNabb may help turn things around... maybe. But come on. History is the best predictor of the future, so there's a good chance McNabb will make no more difference than Brunnell did.

For God's sake, everyone, stop feeding Snyder's delusions and bank account. Let someone come here, prove themselves for a while, and THEN get their jersey.

In the meantime, I'll go home and continue to treasure my pint-sized Chris Hanburger #55 jersey.

Posted by: Andrew53 | April 26, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

I bought a Campbell jersey and got 2 yrs out of it. I won't buy another Redskins jersey unless I get it with my name on the back (it won't be changing anytime soon). I love the Caps also and I just buy the T-shirts with the players' names and numbers.

Posted by: nicety251 | April 26, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Like postage stamps, only dead players should be on jerseys if you want to be completely safe.

Posted by: AHappyWarrior | April 26, 2010 2:15 PM | Report abuse

I agree with the posters about current v. retired jerseys. I have a CP one (it was a gift, is a kids XL (same as adult S) and has the info "ironed on") but when I "invested" in one with sewn on numbers/name I opted for #7 - Joey T! You're always safe with throwbacks, and you don't look like a bandwagon jumper if the start winning!!

Can't wait for September!

Posted by: TerpGrad | April 26, 2010 2:21 PM | Report abuse

The Danny is lovin' life.
Large $$$$.

Posted by: ridgely1 | April 26, 2010 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Somebody (preferably Steinberg) needs to do the math on this to show these dimwits how little money Dan Snyder actually makes off of a particular jersey sale.

Newsflash to these morons: when you are a billionaire, you do not give a rat's *ss about a few dollars off a jersey sale.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 26, 2010 2:26 PM | Report abuse

I've been a Skins fan since the 70's. I had a Larry Brown jersey when I was a kid. I agree with all the posts about players coming and going making jerseys obsolete. What's more laughable than a Favre Jet jersey? I bought my first team jersey a few years ago. I went with Marcus Washington. I figured if he got traded, a Redskin's jersey with Washington on the back still made sense.

Posted by: faux1 | April 26, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

You people are hypnotized. $nyder has made another BIG PLAYER move in the offseason and all is forgiven. Will you still wear the #5 and support $nyder when we're 5-11 next year?

BOYCOTT $NYDER OR BE A MORON THE REST OF YOUR REDSKIN LIFE!

Posted by: hessone | April 26, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

I likewise don't get the obsession with buying player jerseys spur of the moment. It's why the only player jersey I have and will likely ever have is a Monk 81 jersey. Unlike the jerseys of countless other players who have come and gone, my jersey will never go out of style.

Posted by: mbcnewspaper | April 26, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

yes, redskins fans of all shapes and sizes supporting their new qb...mostly fat though..mostly fat

Posted by: bigtriumverate | April 26, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

@Barno1

So barno, you moron, why does $nyder sell all these jersey's? Why not just give them away? You are a MORON!

BOYCOTT $NYDER AND STOP POSTING YOUR COMMENTS BARNO1, PLEASE!!!!

Posted by: hessone | April 26, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

The coolest jerseys are the throwbacks. If I'm plunking down $80 on a custom jersey, the player better be a guaranteed legend: Jurgensen, Green, Monk, Riggo, Taylor, Baugh, Grimm, etc.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | April 26, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

My new jersey is gonna be a Ravens jersey. After 45 years of faithful attendance and rooting for the Redskins (I go back to Bill McPeak and Sonny), I am selling my season tickets and moving on. Nothing against McNabb; he's just too old, too fragile and too predictable to take this team where I'd like them to be. New management won't be much help, either, I fear. Looks like same old, same old to me. Our draft was a yawner; our off-season moves below average in quality. 'Skins cost too much for that nonsense.

Posted by: qball43 | April 26, 2010 2:47 PM | Report abuse

@qball43

Excellent comments from a man no longer in denial. Wish you and your's the best of luck.

BOYCOTT $NYDER

Posted by: hessone | April 26, 2010 2:56 PM | Report abuse

What a waste of money. Buy a Darrel Green or Art Monk jersey, those are Redskins heros. Danny the miser is loving this.

Posted by: DCFanatic | April 26, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Stienz:

This has got to be Danny Boy's favorite Bog post. EVER! Look at that money up there!

Posted by: Leeguru | April 26, 2010 3:23 PM | Report abuse

I'm a Mets fan and I still hate Gary Carter, '86 and all. This baffles me.

Posted by: Ralphinjersey | April 26, 2010 3:38 PM | Report abuse

Jerseys are for kids.
Any adult wearing one is a loser.

Posted by: kreator6996 | April 26, 2010 3:47 PM | Report abuse

Redskins fans should purchase #55 Chris Hanburger jerseys and then lobby the Redskins front office, the local media and the Veteran's Committee voters for the Pro Football Hall of Fame to select Hanburger for induction immediately! There is no eligible player more qualified for induction to the Hall of Fame than Chris Hanburger! He was voted to the Pro Bowl 9 times, a first team All-Pro 5 times and the NFC Defensive Player of the Year in 1972 (the Redskins first Super Bowl season). He was also handpicked by George Allen to be his defensive signal caller during some of the best defensive seasons in Redskins history. There is no other player with a combined 14 Pro Bowl and All-Pro selections who is not in the Hall of Fame other than Chris Hanburger. Let's correct this injustice. We lobbied for years to get Art Monk inducted. Let's do the same thing for Chris Hanburger!

Posted by: bigmac128 | April 26, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Lifelong Redskins fan but can't get interested in the Skins while the Caps are still playing.

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 26, 2010 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Sheep.

All of you.

Posted by: bs2004 | April 26, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Look - McNabb is a talented and decent QB - he's also probably a real stand up guy from all the crap he had to deal with over the years from the scumbag Philly fans, but....I'd rather have had the second round pick, kept Campbell for one more year, and either signed another OL player - or...Clausen or Cody. We gave up a 2nd round pick for a guy who is maybe going to play here 3 years - with one of those years very possibly a strike year. We could've had a player who could've turned into something special for much longer than 3 - 4 years tops. No slight to McNabb, but he isn't what we really needed right now - I'm not on the McNabb bandwagon - sorry.

Posted by: whelms1 | April 26, 2010 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Guess Dan's laughing at last year's Boycott Snyder Movement...4-12 twas just a fleeting memory. Call me crazy, but I only plunk down cash from jerseys of PROVEN players.

bs2004 has it right. SHEEP.

Posted by: Keliza64 | April 26, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

I am so glad all these people are buying jersey`s! Leave these people alone. Sure it`s a game, but it is also a bussiness. Every player says the same thing when they get traded or cut.The NFL is a bussiness. I hope Dan sells all of his games out and I hope he makes a ton of money! That is what I would do! MAKE THAT MONEY! SELL THOSE JERSEY`S. If people want to spend their money, GO FOR IT!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 26, 2010 4:41 PM | Report abuse

Who in their right mind would call McNabb unproven? HE HAS ALREADY PROVEN. Nothing wrong with support!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 26, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure the GENIUS is wearing his crotchless McNabb panties....

Posted by: 44fx290 | April 26, 2010 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Excuse me, Barno, but how do you think Dan Snyder made his bucks in the first place? It was in novelty advertising (aka Tchotchkes) and if you think there is not a serious profit in selling McNabb jerseys at $200 a pop think again. If a made in Malaysia remaindered Campbell jersey can be sold for $9.99 and still be profitable (trust me it is) then how much profit is there in selling, oh, 20,000 McNabb jerseys.... Jeez.

Posted by: khrabb | April 26, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

probably have seen more mcnabb's games with phila. than anyone here..he is NO brunell superior arm better mobility and much stronger at this point of his career and better numbers. mcnabb is streaky sometimes hot or cold throws alot of low passes if o-line is solid and they can run the ball 40 times per game instead of throwing it 50 this could work,the cheers now could turn to jeers later.

Posted by: wathu19 | April 26, 2010 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Snyder is a slime ball

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 26, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

@Barno1

BOYCOTT $NYDER AND STOP POSTING YOUR COMMENTS BARNO1, PLEASE!!!!

Posted by: hessone | April 26, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

That may have been the dumbest counter-argument in the history of counter-arguments. It's amazing to me ignorant and naive some Redskins fans are. They think Dan Snyder is sitting around saying to himself "gee I am going to make so much money selling McNabb jerseys." LMAO.

Let me just repeat this again: when you are a billionaire, a few dollars on a jersey sale does not register on your radar. A few dollars on 10,000 jersey sales likely doesn't register. The guy just wrote a $21,000,000 check to Albert Haynesworth for christ's sake. If you think the man is preoccupied with jersey sales of any particular player, I suggest you seek some professional help.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 26, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

baaa-aa-aaaa-aa

Posted by: BrooklynSkins | April 26, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I just got an authentic McNabb jersey off a Chinese website for $29.99. I got an ST21 jersey last year from the same place for the same price. Outstanding quality.

Posted by: AnthonyMix | April 26, 2010 6:51 PM | Report abuse

Who cares how much a jersey costs. It's everyone's choice to pay the price for it or not. Just like it's everone's choice to pay over $50 to park at FedEx, hundreds for tickets, and $9 for a beer once you're inside. It's hard to spend less than $300 just to go to a game, games that have been losses more than wins far too often over the last few years. I'd rather spend that kind of money on something I can keep forever than for a few hours that end in heartbreak. Besides, it ain't trickin' if you got it!

Posted by: skinswiz419 | April 26, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: skinswiz419 | April 26, 2010 7:21 PM | Report abuse

Amen bro. Amen.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 26, 2010 9:43 PM | Report abuse

dang that name on the burgundy jersey still looks weird.

when it was time for my jersey I went with the SeanTaylor21, never goes out of style. and I got it cut rate on ebay so I didn't add to the Danny's pockets. ha.

Posted by: greatteamdan | April 26, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth traded

Posted by: BallsDeep | April 26, 2010 10:43 PM | Report abuse

BOYCOTT $NYDER OR BE A MORON THE REST OF YOUR REDSKIN LIFE!

Posted by: hessone | April 26, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Every Redskins jersey you buy is putting 11 cents into Dan Snyder's pocket. I'm sure that as a billionaire, he is just thrilled to have your extra 11 cents.

Can't stop laughing at the stupidity of hessone

Posted by: Barno1 | April 26, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Can't stop laughing at the stupidity of hessone

Posted by: Barno1 | April 26, 2010 10:52 PM |
************************************
And I cant stop laughing at yours.

So, did Synder's money fall out of his a$$?OR..
Get this...being that he made most of his money in "direct marketing"...basically, an "in your face" way of hasseling people to spend money on inferior products ...the type of business the govt made "do not call" lists for..

Id say the fact that his product is one of the worst losing franchises during his tenure, but is the HIGHEST earner, Id say the dude clearly cares about the 11 cents.

Do you get two cents to keep juggling his nuts?

Posted by: kreator6996 | April 27, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: bigmac128 | April 26, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

Amen...and on top of that he was a great guy. When I was 8 years old, I was in an accident that caused me to miss my entire 3rd grade year. My mom was downtown and saw Chris and Pat Fischer at a ribbon cutting ceremony for a bank. She implored him to come visit me and he took the time to drive 20 minutes to come to our house...and then sat with me for 30 minutes more to tell me all about the 'Skins. Something I'll never forget.

..and your dead on. The fact that he is not in the Hall of Fame is a travesty.

Posted by: dchandl3 | April 27, 2010 1:02 AM | Report abuse

So, did Synder's money fall out of his a$$?OR..

Do you get two cents to keep juggling his nuts?

Posted by: kreator6996 | April 27, 2010 12:04 AM | Report abuse

I'm sure that has nothing to do with the fact that for the last 13 years (until 2009) the Redskins had by far the largest stadium in the NFL, ticket prices were not cheap, and it always sold out.

Nah, had nothing to do with that. Must've been the 11 cents he got per jersey sale.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 27, 2010 1:45 AM | Report abuse

The only man's number that touches my breasts? #44.

While I like the acquisition of McNabb, I'll wait before any #5 merchandise. But even when I do buy something - it will never be a jersey as no one replaces Riggo.

Posted by: LadyMac | April 27, 2010 8:03 AM | Report abuse

I went to the Redskin/Jet preseason game 2 years ago.. right after the Jets signed Bret Favre.. I couldn't believe the number of #4 Favre Jet jersey's people had already bought.. thing is getting when these veteran guys I just hope you either have the money to buy a new one in a couple of years or you just don't mind wearing the number of an ex player.. if u don't want the later.. u would be better off getting a Cooley one...

Posted by: sovine08 | April 27, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: whelms1
_____
I agree (well except for the keeping Campbell for one more year part) But as far as McNabb once Clausen fell to the second round and we could have got him and the LT Shanahan wanted.. I'd much rather have done that. McNabb is on the downside of career to the point the Eagles gave up on him. Clausen could have been a franchise QB here for the next 10 years. The Eagles did us no favors trading him to us..

Posted by: sovine08 | April 27, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

When will people realize that the only jersey's you should buy are the ones of past retired Redskins. Get a Monk, Riggins, Theismann, Jurgensen, Taylor, etc. You won't have to worry about the guy being traded.

NFL.com still sells the Sean Taylor jersey's and it should be a no brainer. Buy one.

Posted by: Goss1 | April 27, 2010 10:04 AM | Report abuse

These jerseys will be used for toilet paper before the end of next season. Mc Naab will be the first and possibly biggest mistake of Shanny's first year.

Posted by: theBozyn | April 27, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Redskins got McNabb, now they're going to the SuperBowl. Not. LOL!!!

Posted by: keithamcgregor | April 27, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Stop hatin' you fake-a&& Redskin fans. McNabb will help us win 10-11 games per year, and we will make the playoffs eahc year that he is year. That is who McNabb is. A bona-fide winner. Andy Reid wouldn't even be the head coach in Philly today if McNabb hadn't played for him this long.

McNabb has more weapons than he had in Philly. Although DeSean Jackson may be the best WR he's had since TO.

In any case, the Redskins are playoff bound as long as we have a franchise-winning QB like McNabb around. Only a complete implosion of his playing abilites, or a serious injury will prevent McNabb from leading us to the promised land.

Posted by: jmounadi | April 27, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

When I go to games, I wear my 20+ year old Super Bowl XXII t-shirt. It never goes out of style.

Posted by: closer44 | April 27, 2010 12:10 PM | Report abuse

vexed50verizonnet
-------------------------
I meant McNabb is NOT PROVEN as a Redskin.

Look, I give him all the cred in the world...for his accomplishments in Philly that is. But this ain't Philly. So until I see McNabb shift the Skins' Win-Loss column out of last season's dump, I'll wait on filling up Snyder's tank for a #5.

Posted by: Keliza64 | April 27, 2010 12:51 PM | Report abuse

I hate when these ridiculous fans say you're not a true fan if you criticize the team or a player, I'd argue the opposite that true fans are the fans that get sick of losing and speak out about it, not some fanboy that worships other men. If the Redskins go better than 7-9 that would be a great accomplishment...and that's coming from a true, lifelong fan.

Posted by: jeffbo_80 | April 27, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse