Ryan Zimmerman has words with a Philly fan

The big Philly fan news of the day concerns the gentleman who made himself projectile vomit all over an 11-year girl and her father. I can't help but think it's be easier work for him to stockpile bags full of vomit at home, and then just dump them on his stadium targets, rather than leave that sort of thing up to last-minute chance and the whims of his digestive tract.

"He leaned forward, he projectile vomited all over me and my daughter," Vangelo said with a look of hurt splashed across his face....Surrounding fans jumped in to help subdue Clemens before he was arrested. "He was still vomiting on the other fans that were holding him down," Vangelo said.

How long does that guy vomit? My vomiting sessions would never last long enough to projectile vomit on innocent youths and then to keep vomiting while other persons jumped on me.

Also, great use of "splashed." Also, well done, Philadelphia. By the way, please do send all your fans down to Washington. Could we order you up some buses or anything?

That was clearly the greatest Philadelphia fan story of the day, but there was another of potentially more interest to D.C. fans. Nationals Enquirer has this quote from Rob Dibble, uttered during Thursday's broadcast:

"Well, I saw something when Scott Olsen was coming off the field, that I thought I'd never see. Ryan Zimmerman -- and this is what a team leader is all about -- [a] Philly fan was getting all over Scott. Zim got up and got all over the fan. Maybe that was just enough of what Zim needed to get him going."

Oh, for video of this exchange. No doubt someone will ask Zim about this exchange on Friday, correct? And please, Zim, never get all over projectile vomiters. That might get messy.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 16, 2010; 10:54 AM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Game 1 Caps fans, in video form
Next: Caps-Habs Game 1 fans

Comments

wow - intentionally vomits on fans - only in Philthy.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | April 16, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I vomited red (!) in a private (thank God!) club level restroom during a regular season Caps game last year. I blame it on an imported beer at Verizon Center, mixing with a Five Guys Cheeseburger I had for dinner before entering arena.

It never occurred to me to do that from the edge of the club box all over the fans beneath me. Maybe I would've gotten the "Rock the Red!" award if I had? :p

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 16, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

In better Phillies news, sometimes they they stop barfing and kill each other...

Posted by: Kev29 | April 16, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

This is why Philthy fans are among the most despised in all sports! I have experienced them in all their glory at many a Redskins home game to the point where my normally mild mannered wife came close to dumping her beer on a row of them sitting directly behind us. I am at least glad to see from "it's" picture that someone dotted this androgynous fat slob in the eye. Hope that Donovan dominates the Iggles for as long as we have him in town!

Posted by: refusetogivein | April 16, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

Unlike all the classy Skins fans at FedEx. Ever been to a Monday night game at FedEx? It's a redneck convention. Easily as bad as any other fans in the league.

Posted by: dbunkr | April 16, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

What is this world coming to? Can't a fan go and have 5 or 6 Phillie cheese steaks, 6 or 8 hot dogs and 12 to 15 beers without getting arrested? Hey, its these kinds of ballpark purchases that keep the owners in business. I'm sure the little girl will get over it in time. She'll probably be ready for another live ball game in 60 or 70 years. Maybe.

Posted by: RTR80 | April 16, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbunkr | April 16, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RTR80 | April 16, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbunkr | April 16, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Unlike all the classy Skins fans at FedEx. Ever been to a Monday night game at FedEx? It's a redneck covention. Easily as bad as any other fans in the league.

Posted by: dbunkr | April 16, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbunkr | April 16, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbunkr | April 16, 2010 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dbunkr | April 16, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

dbunkr is obviously a Philly fan, takes a special kind of stupid to post the same thing that many times.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | April 16, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

EWWW. Philly fans are so disgusting.

Posted by: rachel216 | April 16, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

dbunkr is totally a philly fan. They are the WORST fans. Yes, I have been going to redskin games my entire life dbunkr and I have NEVER experienced what I have when your angry, bitter fans are there. My uncle is an eagle fan (was) and when I was 6 he took me to a game...I was spit on because I had a sonny jerg jersey on. He passed in his season tix after that....the stories of fans from that city never cease to amaze anyone. take a vote dbunkr..trust me, hands down your city has the worst....

Posted by: KKlein | April 16, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I witnessed a child of a redskin fan being spit on by a fan at the vet. Another experience was a very intoxicated (what a shocker) eagle fan hitting a woman because she asked him to clean up his language. The stories of fans from that city never cease to amaze anyone. take a vote dbunkr..trust me, hands down your city has the worst fans....

Posted by: KKlein | April 16, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I would tend to specify to "Philly fans that have drunk way too much" tend to be the worst. :)

I've seen that at an Eagles-'Skins game I attended in '98 (thankfully they reserved their late game abuse for the Eagles players, who lost 28-0 that day), and at a couple Capitals-Flyers games in the 1980s.

Even the nicest guy that drinks too much can turn into a monster at sporting events. I've seen that more times than I can count. Nixing alcohol sales at pro events isn't realistic (I've been to college football games that have no alcohol sales in the stadium, and it's amazing the difference it makes), but it'd be nice if they limited sales in some way or at least set aside some "family friendly" areas.

Posted by: blackjack65 | April 16, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Good for Zim! Fired up and sticking up for his teammate.

There are little things that happen on a team that can make a really big difference. This could be one of those.

Posted by: js_edit | April 16, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

I was stationed at the Philly Navy Yard for awhile during the Viet Nam period. When my buddies and I went to a subway station, the 1st thing we saw was a police station. We all had the same thought..."A police station in the subway? Wow. Well, this is Philly after all". Very similar to the idea that the old and the new stadiums in Philly have built in jails.

Posted by: chopin224 | April 16, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

Nats Park actually has a built in jail too. Of course with the overwhelming numbers of visiting fans during series with Philly, maybe they need it...

Posted by: misschatter | April 16, 2010 4:48 PM | Report abuse

The Vet in Philly had more than a jail. They actually had a judge on duty during the games too.

Posted by: spambucket6 | April 16, 2010 4:57 PM | Report abuse

most new stadiums/arenas have holding facilities.

At Petco Park, it is called "guest services."

Posted by: metatext | April 16, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

Back during WWII the residents of Philly almost lost the war for this country. Seems these fools didn't want blacks to have transit jobs. There was actually a shortage of available bodies since Philly was at full employment and then some during the war. These knuckleheads went on strike at the transit companies. I came close to riots. The Army was called in to restore order and the city was told to hire these folks. And they South is racist.

So was this girly man who vomited on the Philly pig a big fan of Animal House. he kind of resembles Flounder's grandkid.

Posted by: sheepherder | April 17, 2010 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: sheepherder | April 17, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

To be fair, the projectile vomiter was from New Jersey, not Philadelphia. No good Philadelphian would ever take responsibility for the actions of anyone from New Jersey (it's the home of "Jersey Shore" after all). Anyway, why is it that every Philadelphian has to be held accountable for the actions of one excessively drunk moron. For the handful of Philly fans who do stupid things, there are thousands upon thousands who attend games simply to support their team. I don't think anyone would be willing to argue that Philly is the most friendly place to go wearing opposing colors, but fan violence happens everywhere (granted, projectile vomit is certainly a new frontier), and you're simply naive if you think otherwise.

Posted by: Phanthom32 | April 19, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Speaking of which, what is going on here? This poor girl only wanted to come to Nationals park and cheer for Ryan Zimmerman.

Posted by: Phanthom32 | April 19, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse