Selig says Nats are "on the right track"

Bud Selig attended Monday's Nats opener; he kibitzed with Ted Lerner, George Will and Barack Obama before the game, discussing Joe Mauer's decision to stay in Minnesota, among other things.

By the fourth inning, he was up in the MASN booth with Bob Carpenter and Rob Dibble, and eventually Carpenter asked about the state of the Nats.

"Big," Selig said. "Having a team in the nation's capital is really so important, just the electricity of today could only be duplicated here. The answer is that I have a faith in the Lerners, and they're on the right track. I know things sometimes take a little longer [than expected] and people get impatient. Listen, I was on the end of that at one time in my career, but [they're] doing things in the right way.

"And the sport has never been more popular. The sport today, baseball, is more popular than ever before in its history. It's more vibrant, it's healthier....We've had 16 years of labor peace. And this spring look, there are always problems, don't misunderstand, but there's no overriding problem. All the other sports, frankly, have far more overriding problems than we do, and so I'm proud of where we are. The sport has never been more popular. And here was a franchise that was virtually extinct years ago, and look at it today."

This was unfortunate timing, because as Selig was saying this, the Phillies were going up 4-1, to a huge ovation despite the fact that they were technically the road team. But whatever. Hope and faith, baby, hope and faith.

"I always say hope and faith for fans on Opening Day," Selig said. "Then you know that you have competitive balance. Boy, there are a lot of cities that have hope and faith today."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 5, 2010; 2:33 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Obama's first pitch at Nats Park
Next: McNabb Redskins jersey at Nats Park

Comments

Never understand when Selig says that baseball has "never been more popular." It's far less popular than the NFL these days, and that wasn't the case 20-25 years ago. The television ratings for the World Series and the national game of the week are far lower than they used to be. Yes, I suppose attendance is better, and they make more money than they used to with licensing deals, etc., but I don't know how you can say it's more popular than ever.

As for the team almost being extinct, Bud, you might want to acknowledge that your dithering over whether to move the team to D.C. had something to do with that, huh? And taking a year and a half to actually find an owner didn't help either.

Posted by: TheFingerman | April 5, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: TheFingerman | April 5, 2010 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Wow leave it to this guy to try and kill the spirits of baseball's opening day. Go complain about something else man, i bet you listen to the cure, emo fairy...

Posted by: willfacc10 | April 5, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Geez, dude, sorry. Didn't know you weren't allowed to mock Bud Selig just because it's Opening Day. Thought that was permitted every day. I wasn't trying to somehow trumpet the preeminence of the NFL on Opening Day--I was just musing on something that puzzles me.

For the record, I find it really annoying that Opening Day (and the NCAA tournament championship game, and the Caps clinching the President's Trophy) has been totally eclipsed--and apparently will be until the start of minicamp and beyond--in Washington by the McNabb trade. Hey, it's big news, and people want to talk about it, but there is other sports news today. And I do listen to the Cure. Not sure what that has to do with anything.

Posted by: TheFingerman | April 5, 2010 4:49 PM | Report abuse

Halladay didn't throw a no hitter, so I see today as a success.

Posted by: terps447 | April 5, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Selig sucks. Lerners suck. Kasten sucks.

Posted by: Kev29 | April 5, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Nats have had zero GM leadership the last few years and it has cost them

Posted by: Bious | April 5, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

Cannot WAIT to go to Philly this weekend and make myself as obnoxious a fan at the DCU-Union game as 40 busloads of Phillies fans were today.

Posted by: Juan-John | April 5, 2010 7:52 PM | Report abuse

The Cure rules, by the way. What do you expect Bud Selig to say? "Well, hell, in any sports league some teams will be good and some will suck. Why would you expect an owner with a shoe string budget who is actually trying to make money off of his fan base before he dies to come up with a winner? How much dumb luck would that take? I'm just here to protect our anti-trust exemption."

Posted by: clocker58 | April 5, 2010 8:41 PM | Report abuse

Selig: "Having a team in the nation's capital is really so important, just the electricity of today could only be duplicated here."

I was there. The atmosphere was exciting, upbeat and yes, possibly "electric." However that had nothing to do with baseball in DC or Nationals fans, it had to do with the thousands of Phillies fans who were louder and more into the game than DC fans. I'm a Yankees fan, not a Phillies fan, but it was just obvious... felt like an away game for the Nationals. Whatever fan base DC has is very very quiet.

Posted by: JG55 | April 5, 2010 9:16 PM | Report abuse