Shanahan speaks to the fans

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

At the end of the FedEx Draft Day party thing, Mike Shanahan showed up, walked through a gauntlet of cheerleaders as the band played that song it plays, and then addressed the fans. He spoke for about five minutes, and heard the first extended "We Want Dallas" chant of his Skins tenure. Incidentally, Trent Williams also was serenaded with one of them earlier in the day. He seemed impressed.

Williams had told fans to expect Super Bowl (and Pro Bowl) appearances during his time on stage, and Shanahan did the same. The crowd enjoyed this.

"I'm proud to be your head football coach," Shanahan said. "And I'll tell you what: to sit back and have the opportunity with all the tradition, all the Super Bowls, and the things that've been accomplished here, I feel very, very excited to come in here, put a new coaching staff together, obviously go through a minicamp. And we've got one goal and we've got it together, and that's to win a Super Bowl. And we will get it done.

"To make a statement like that, you have to have a lot of things going for you. We've got a great owner that gives me every chance to do the things that a head coach needs to do to be successful, and that's where it starts. And one of the reasons why I'm your head coach is I believe that I have a person that'll give me every opportunity to do the things that we need to do to be successful.

"So keep your fingers crossed. It's a long process, a lot of hard work, but again: thank you for being here. I'm excited to play the first game here against that Dallas Cowboys -- ["We Want Dallas, We Want Dallas," etc.]....

"You know, we got a little work to do before we play Dallas, but I guarantee you one thing: I'm looking forward to it just like you are. Again, thanks for being here, thanks for supporting us, and hail to the Redskins."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 24, 2010; 6:30 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Teammates thrilled by Trent Williams pick
Next: Montreal's six men on the ice

Comments

How much did Danny charge for parking?

Posted by: rdpinva | April 24, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse

Once again, a Snyder/Skins FAIL.

Posted by: dc_counsel | April 24, 2010 8:29 PM | Report abuse

He should be excited. He came into a great situation. He has money at his disposal. He has talent on D. He has an All-Pro QB

Posted by: Bious | April 24, 2010 9:13 PM | Report abuse

How much did Danny charge for parking?

Posted by: rdpinva | April 24, 2010 7:57 PM | Report abuse
_________________________________________

It was free. Everything was free except concessions which were dramatically lower than last year. Everything was at least 30% cheaper.

Posted by: homercles82 | April 26, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

"WE WANT DALLAS"??? Whatever, Lower Potomac Indigenous Peoples fans, whatever. As much as I hate to say it, the 'Boys have pwned your team for years and they may have problems but they are undoubtedly better run than the Peoples.

That's the problem with the Peoples fans, they think every year is a playoff year and every year is a Super Bowl year (they probably also think that the Peoples will win the Stanley Cup, the Daytona 500, the Kentucky Derby, etc.). This is how Comrade Snyder keeps laughing and ganking your money because the Peoples fans don't accept the reality that this team needs to be blowd up from top to bottom (see the Wizards) and stink for a few years, accumulate high draft picks, and build on that (see the Caps).

Posted by: playahatah | April 26, 2010 10:16 AM | Report abuse

>>This reminds me of when Joe Gibbs came back to coach the team in 2004. Shortly thereafter, Joe Bugel announced to the press that, under Gibbs, the team would be returning to the Superbowl. How'd that work out?<<<

Actually, not half bad. Two playoff appearances in four seasons and Gibbs best coaching job ever to get the team into the playoffs after Sean Taylor was murdered. I laugh when the nitwit crowd tries to claim that Gibbs II was a disaster. Fact is, Gibbs II was the best Redskins football since, well, Gibbs I.

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 26, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Wow. First Hall drinks the Danny Kool-Aid, then Smootie, and now Shanahan. And after the trade for McNabb, all of a sudden the locker-room mantra changed from "JC17 is a great teammate, a warrior" to "Jason Who?", even from Chris Cool-Aid. Couldn't be more obvious who signs the checks (or in LoveBoat's case, decides who gets hired in the front office).

Posted by: FanaticalReader | April 27, 2010 1:55 PM | Report abuse