Teammates react to Jason Campbell trade

(By Toni L. Sandys - TWP)

The Redskins were hosting a FedEx Field draft day party on Saturday when news of the Jason Campbell trade broke. Some of the Redskins who were at the stadium heard about the trade from reporters. Others discussed it with fans. When Campbell discussed the move on the NFL Network in the mid-afternoon, the audio played over the stadium loudspeakers and thousands of people stood around and listened.

Since I was there anyhow, I talked to a bunch of Campbell's former teammates about the trade and his future.

Devin Thomas

"I heard about the news, man. It's crazy, but I'm happy that he can get a new start somewhere. It's what he needs, man. He can get a fresh start all the way on the West Coast. He needs to start anew.

"Jason's an NFL starting quarterback. He just needs to get his feet sound with everybody around him, instead of the offensive playbook changing all the time. He needs something that stays around. I just think it was tough for him, to keep changing the offense, it was just tough on the guy. So I think his confidence might have went down, and he just needs a fresh start."

Marko Mitchell

"I'm happy for him, that he get a fresh new start and everything. I'm really excited for him, that he can start over. I'm pretty sure for his sake it would have been awkward [in Washington]; he's so used to being a starter."

Lorenzo Alexander

"It's kind of bittersweet, because I love Jason. I've been with him for four years, and it's always hard to see somebody like that go. He's going to my home town, so hopefully he's able to resurrect that organization a little bit. I think he'll be fine out there...."

"Every year they were trying to find somebody to replace him. It's kind of hard to perform and have the confidence in yourself when you're not always backed completely. I mean, he had his opportunities, but I don't ever think he had complete chance of just going out there and competing, not worrying about his job....Their offensive line is probably no better than ours was last year. It's gonna be hard, going to a worse organization, pretty much. It's gonna be kind of hard for him."

Reed Doughty

"It's just tough, because I like Jason a lot as a person, and he worked as hard as anybody ever asked him to. He dealt with all the trade rumors, he dealt with everything that can be wrong with not playing well. But with the head coach and quarterback, you're the face of the franchise, and when you don't win, you're on the chopping block. He's a great guy, we wish him well, and hopefully he'll have success....

"I do think he can be starting quarterback in this league, I really do. I mean, you look at his numbers last year, he had good numbers. It's just finding a good situation for him. I don't know what it will take, but unfortunately his time here is over."

Kedric Golston

"I was sad to see him get traded. He's always been a great friend to me. We all know the situation here, and from what it sounds like he's happy to go out there and get another opportunity, so if he's excited, I'm excited. The NFL's a hard place, but I know Jason will bring a very professional attitude out there to Oakland, and I wish him the best, because he's always been a good friend of mine....

"He's a guy that's gonna do exactly what the coaches ask him to do. I mean, it's hard to win football games in this league, but I would have Jason Campbell on my team. He's gonna do well. He's gonna do great."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 24, 2010; 2:43 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Eric Belanger removes his tooth
Next: Teammates thrilled by Trent Williams pick

Comments

Best of luck, Jason Campbell*.

* - except when playing against the Redskins!

Posted by: stevebeagrie | April 24, 2010 3:35 PM | Report abuse

boy, these JC supporters just won't give up -- "a market for JC?" Where? jeez, the more I read these blogs the more i realize DC sports fans are absolute morons

Posted by: bestmick1 | April 19, 2010 12:00 PM | Report abuse

When will everyone except the fact that NO ONE WANTS CAMPBELL! The guys services continually take a slap in the face, but the supporters say things like in this post. Every starter he was better than, nobody wants them either. I would have cut him after game one of the Zorn era. I will be glad when this is over... Eddie Jordan=bad coach, Jason Campbell=bad QB

Posted by: SkinzNWiz | April 19, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

What amazies me is no team in the league wants this guy yet some how he is still wanted by some fans here. Hey if Campbell isn't good enough to be a backup in Buffalo or Oakland why should we want him here???

Posted by: sovine08 | April 19, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

now we see that they can't even get a 7th for him.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | April 19, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

fact is, when Soup is up for the rest of the league to take, you hear crickets. no one wants him

Posted by: greatteamdan | April 20, 2010 2:08 AM

If there was a market out there for JC, they would have traded him by now...They will wait til after the draft, hope to get a ham sandwich for him, then release him

Posted by: jfoster13 | April 20, 2010 9:54 AM

Posted by: Barno1 | April 24, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Insert comment about it only be the Raiders and it only being a future 4th round pick.

Fact is McNabb is a future hall of famer and was only worth a 2nd rounder this year.

I'm happy for Jason though in a perfect world he would have been given a chance to prove the critics wrong here in Washington. If given a healthy O-line, I have no doubt he would have been the winner he was when the line was healthy in 08 (6-2 and a candidate for NFL MVP before the injuries on the line mounted).

Good luck JC17, I'll be rooting for you in Oakland.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 24, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for the list of idiots Barno, awesome post! Couldn't agree more....good luck JC. Unfortunately he's going to a situation that is not a whole lot better, but at least he has a fresh chance. These same morons that bash him probably love Haynesworth. I'll take a professional like JC over a lazy POS like Haynesworth any day of the week.

I'm also sure that some of those posters are the morons who think preseason success equals regular season success.....aka, the Cult of Colt dopes.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | April 24, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

I hate to see him go to Oakland where the head coach punches out his assistants on a daily basis where the owner is living in the past(25yrs.)in the past,where 2009 #1 draft pick is a joke and had no business being drafted #1 where the fans are felons out on parole and a visiting fan could possibly be assaulted oh wait,that'at Fed Ex, LOL anyway JC good luck, this franchise did you no favors while you were here except undermine your worth and value.

Posted by: dargregmag | April 24, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

hey this is a victory, at least we got... a 4th rounder... not next year... but the year after that... hey if that's all we can get for Soup then clearly we had to take it. next to nothing is better than nothing.

and now he'll go light up the league under a new team (eyes rolling LOL).

Posted by: greatteamdan | April 24, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Never could understand why people care what year the pick is for.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 24, 2010 6:05 PM | Report abuse

I hope JC has a successful run with the Raiders. The only reason you won't be booing McNabb early this year is he will have actual blockers (gasp!).

Posted by: danstheproblem | April 24, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

As a skins fan I hope Jason has a better season than the Skins do. heres hoping Danny, Mikey and Bruce have this trade bite them in the A##. Wish Jason nothing but the best he deserves a team that appreciates him as a player and person.

Posted by: ckcarmen9 | April 24, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

Lets call this years draft - All The Right Moves! Thank you Mr.Allen and Mr.Shanahan!!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 24, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I come in peace. And I have been a Skins fans for decades...all the way back to John Riggins and the glory days of The Hogs. I live in Alabama...and no, I am not a 'bammer' fan. I love my Auburn Tigers and I am sorry that Jason Campbell did not work out. He still has a good bit to learn. But it appears that the bashing he has (and is) receiving from several of you (and you know who you are...i.e. SkinzNWiz , sovine08, bestmick1, greatteamdan and other 'notables') may not be warranted.

Its hard to get much done behind a "long in the tooth" and "less than average" offensive line. But thats OK. Most of you guys could not wait to see him leave town...a town he dearly loved and helped out in many ways in his spare time, off the field. But now he's gone. I hope you are happy now. And I truly hope Donovan does well. I love the Skins.

Hail to the Redskins. I'll always pull for the Skins. But I am a Raiders fan now, too. And the Raiders had a pretty fair Auburn man as a running back some time ago...Bo Jackson..? Remember him?

Don't turn your back on an Auburn men that may be drafted by or play for your team in the future. They will not let you down, given a fair shake.

All the best to you, Redskins Nation.

I'll always be a fan.

Charlie Riley
Bham, Al

Posted by: aubsincebirth | April 25, 2010 12:56 AM | Report abuse

Well you know what they say about opinions. It does seems like we have quite alot of A-Holes in here. The past couple of weeks, I've been reading the Philly blogs, and in reading some from our fanbase, some of you jack@$$e$ must be related. Funny that under Zorn when trade of McNabb had people up in arms about getting an OLD, OVER THE HILL, inaccurate QB. Some or most of you even called him a LOSER!.. I'm wondering if this was anyone other than Shannahan calling the shots would alot of you feel great about this trade? Over the past 11 years, Fed-Ex Field, and this organization has become QB/Coaches version of Grand Central Station. We've become the butt of jokes on the Tonight Show, and fans for the first time in this teams history are battling each other, and some threaten to cancel their season tickets. Let's hope that McNabb can stay healthy enough to last the whole season. Let's hope that if he should get hurt, that Grossman will be steady enough to help us win. Brennan keep your cap on, and sharpen those pencils because you'll never see the field aside from Pre Season. Good Luck and GOD Bless you Jason. Always stay the TRUE PROFESSIONAL!..Now let's get to work on keeping the COWTURDS from playing the Superbowl at Jerry's House of Horror!

11 MORE DAYS LEFT IRAQ!!!!!!! HTTR!!!!!

Posted by: WARPATH85 | April 25, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Reed Doughty said it best...he's a great person. Well, that's great. I'm happy that he's a great person, but nice guys finish last.

He was a LOUSY QB for this team and led directly to the departure of 2 head coaches and 2 great assistants (see Gregg Williams & Mr. Saunders).

He's directly responsible for offensive schemes failing b/c he couldn't deliver a pass longer than 10 yards with any accuracy unless a receiver didn't have a DB within 10 yards of him, and even then made receivers stretch for the ball.

Personally, I'm happy he's gone. Maybe now we can retain some of the good (player & coaching) talent we have now and the talent yet to come.

Posted by: dc1020008 | April 25, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Did Mark Rypien have a 'quick release?' Was Doug Williams a 'franchise' qb? All things happen for a reason, but if JC stays under Williams and Saunders that team (if healthy) makes the playoffs.

Snyderrato again, must be faulted for not building a team around your qb's strengths. WTF are you doing bringing in a WCO-coordinator (Zorn) for a big, armed, deep drop-back, Joe Gibbs/Al Saunders/Zampeze/Coryell type qb?

Shannahan is making this team in his image, which is good for the 'Skins. It's still shameful that Snyder was never comfortable with JC, which makes sense that he wouldn't recognize class or professionalism if it bit him in the arse.

Posted by: pdfordiii | April 25, 2010 5:45 PM | Report abuse

The very best of luck to Jason, one of my favorite Redskins of all time. It had to do with his professionalism more than anything given the circumstances he had to deal with.

Good luck Jason!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: zxhoya | April 25, 2010 7:28 PM | Report abuse

Good luck Jason!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: zxhoya | April 25, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc1020008 | April 25, 2010 4:00 PM | Report abuse

Wow, just wow. Jason Campbell led directly to the departure of Joe Gibbs, Al Saunders, and Gregg Williams? LMFAO. Of all the asinine theories I've read on these blogs over the years, that one might just take the cake.

As for Al Saunders being a great assistant. are we talking about his career with KC or his career in DC? You might be the only person alive who thought he did a great job in DC.

Basically, you are an absolute moron and you should never comment on any Redskins or football related matter again.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 25, 2010 11:20 PM | Report abuse

Sad and Glad. JC is a tough dude and a class dude. Because he's a mellow, quiet dude, he gets misunderstood. He had to adjust to new coaches and playbooks every year since junior year at Auburn and he still held his own, still had 3600 yards passing and a higher QB rating than McNabb did last year. Hope he does well out in the Wasteland...

Posted by: kahlua87 | April 26, 2010 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: dc1020008

If that's true then the blame lies with the coaches, not JC. Who kept him in the starting lineup? Who didn't draft a competant replacement? Who didn't upgrade the talent around him? Who didn't come up witha scheme to maximize what JC did well (no matter what that was?) If you think he's not a QB you can win with, fine (even though I disagree.) But blaming him for the departure of coaches is nonsense.

Posted by: largetony86 | April 26, 2010 9:33 AM | Report abuse

It is PARTY time!!!!!!!!!! I say "Good ridance to bad rubbish!" Finally, someone had a brain to get rid of Campbell. He has done nothing but drag us fans down with all his "Perfect Throws" to the opposing team. If he would have thrown passes to his own team like he did to the other teams, we would have done so much better this past season. Look at how well the Skins did when he was injured a few seasons ago and they put in Collins. He did a GREAT job for us! Nope, I for one am definately not sorry to see him gone!

Posted by: PegAnnT | April 26, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Not sure how much worse an organization Oakland is compare to Washington. They had a better record than the skins last year, right?

Posted by: nadeemsx | April 26, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse