The Alexander Ovechkin Song

If you're a real fan, you'll listen to this Alexander Ovechkin song 50 or 60 times before Friday night's Game 5. It's short, so that would only take about 90 minutes.

The song isn't new, but the interview is. According to Alex Ovetjkin, it's by Stills frontman Tim Fletcher, who either really likes Ovechkin a lot or is great at giving ironic interviews.

"Alexander Ovechkin...has proven himself to be, in my mind, not just the greatest hockey player to play the game, but the greatest athlete of all time," Fletcher told CHART Attack, unless this is all a giant put-on. "I mean, the stats may say what the stats may say, and people might choose to take a more rational approach to this, but in the church of my heart this guy Ovechkin is truly the greatest athlete of all time....

"He just wants to have fun and score goals. I can't really think of any other person in sports that is grabbing life by the [nether regions] and having the most fun with it. And that to me, well, you live once and he's doing it right....

"He gallops, he slams people, he whinnies, and you might even see a little flame coming out of his nostrils....

"This guy's a robot. He's like the plague. He's a galloping force across the Russian steppes. You can hear the galloping miles away and you're like, OK, gather your children, gather your wife, head for the hills and leave what you don't need behind because he's going to sack and pillage your town. He's like Genghis Khan."

That's a good interview. This is a good song. Fletcher admits that vibe might be more Ukrainian than pure Russian, with sort of a Cossack marching undertone, but I think we can forgive him his geographical weakness in exchange for the lyric, "He will hit you and break your bones."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 23, 2010; 9:39 AM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Malcolm Kelly's advice to Trent Williams
Next: Charles Krauthammer wants the Nats to keep losing

Comments

Did anyone else hear Elliot from Elliot in the Morning prank call the Canadiens at their hotel this morning?

It was around 7.45 and he tried a couple of them, but he only got thru to Carey Price.

The Conversation was as follows:

Elliot: Hello!

Carey: Hello?

Elliot: Is this Carey Price?

Carey: This is he (props to Price for using proper verb subject agreement)

Elliot: Yea, hi, I was just calling because I'm betting on tonights game, and was wondering if you could tell me how many goals you plan to let in, I'm not sure if I should take 5 or 6.

Carey: (laughs and hangs up)

He also called Gionta, but the guy just knocked the phone off the night stand.

Posted by: superyoda41 | April 23, 2010 10:26 AM | Report abuse

I bet Cindy Crosby sings this song all night. We know he has a secret crush on Alex. He has to be tired of Mario by now. Too big of an age difference there.

Posted by: Mike4169 | April 23, 2010 10:29 AM | Report abuse

No way Mike. Saint Mario isn't going to let his boy toy go for anything.

Posted by: poguesmahone | April 23, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

this is the greatest sound these ears have ever heard.
-Rudy's Dad

Posted by: GO583 | April 23, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I heard that this morning too Mr. Yoda41. Pretty good stuff! I was surprised how easily he got through....

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | April 23, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

A coincidental musical tribute.

So Sunday morning I had this Jim Croce song, "You Don't Mess Around With Jim" stuck in my head. Given this lemon & it being Sunday, naturally I decided that it was Bloody Mary* time. The following is the result.

F street got it scalpers
Congress got its bums
But The Capitals got Ovechkin
He's a puck shootin' son of a gun
Yeah he's big and strong as a man can come
He's tougher than a concrete wall
And when the bad boys all get together at night
You know they all fear to hear, "Ovie!" called

And they say
You don't tug on Super Swede’s cape
You don't doubt Bradley’s Chin
You don't crash the net on Jose or Varly
And you don't mess with Ovechkin

Well outta Nova Scotia,
come a skinny country bumpkin
He said I'm looking for a man,
He's named Ovechkin
I am a puck shootin flea
I go by Sid Crosby
But back home they call me Slim
Yeah I'm lookin for the Czar, of the Phone Booth bar
He drivin' a fancy Lamborghini
And last month he took my dignity
And it may sound funny
But my mom says he owes me money

And everybody say
Sid, don't you know
You don't tug on Super Swede’s cape
You don't doubt Bradley’s Chin
You don't crash the net on Jose or Varly
And you don't mess with Ovechkin

Well a hush fell over the Ice Rink
When Ovie come skatin' in
And when the scoring was done
The only thing that Ovie hadn't broken
Was a piece of Crosby’s shin
Yeah he was bruised bout a hundred places
And he was swollen in a couple more
And you better believe
They sung the Caps whole story
When Sid Crosby hit the floor, uh huh

And they say
You don't tug on Super Swede’s cape
You don't doubt Bradley’s chin
You don't crash the net on Jose or Varly
And you don't mess with Ovechkin

And they say
You don't tug on Super Swede’s cape
You don't doubt Bradley’s chin
You don't crash the net on Jose or Varly
And you don't mess with Ovechkin

You don't crash the net on Jose or Varly
And you don't mess with Ovechkin

I'm sure it needs heavy doctoring. Music is so very not my thing. But Caps fans are a multifaceted group, somebody more talented can find/play the music, edit out the vocals or sing new ones.

*Bloody Mary is an adult beverage and is not permitted for persons under 21 years of age. You should not consume a Bloody Mary if you are Nursing, Pregnant, May become Pregnant, Are afraid of Pregnant People, Have anger issues, Operate or look at heavy machinery, Don't like Vodka, or are allergic to tomato products. Common side effects of Bloody Mary(s) are: depressed motor reactions, sanguine, happiness, urge to harm Mike Wise in Effigy, inappropriate public uses of Celery.

Posted by: Kdarienzo | April 23, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Can't believe I totally forgot to compliment Alex Ovetjkin, Tim Fletcher, & Dan. All of whom do great work, and around whom I hang my head in shame. Pride cometh before the something or other.

Posted by: Kdarienzo | April 23, 2010 12:04 PM | Report abuse

That interview is terrific. A fantastic description of why pepole love Ovechkin. And it appears from his description that his inspiration for the song was the hat trick against the Penguins last year in the playoffs.

Posted by: TheFingerman | April 23, 2010 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Kdarienzo, I can't believe no one has lauded you yet for this brilliant idea. Hilarious (and 100% approval of the way you changed it from the song's original point)

Posted by: WalkTheLine | April 23, 2010 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Kdarienzo -- love the song. I hope you don't mind me tweaking some of the lines to fit better. I can't get over how much fun this is.

“You Don't Mess with Ovechkin”
Lyrics by Kdarienzo (with some tweaks by redskirt)
After “You Don't Mess Around with Jim”
Original artist Jim Croce

F Street got it scalpers
Congress got its bums
But the Capitals got Ovechkin
He's a puck shootin' son of a gun
Yeah he's big and strong as a man can come
He's tougher than a concrete wall
And when the bad folks all get together at night
You know they all fear when Ovie's called

{Refrain}
You don't tug on Super Swede's cape
You don't doubt Bradley's chin
You don't crash the net on Jose or Varly
And you don't mess with Ovechkin

Well outta Nova Scotia come a pretty boy
He said, “I'm looking for that Ovechkin.”
I am a puck shootin' flea, my name is Sid Crosby
But down home they call me Kid.
Yeah I'm looking for the Czar of Phone Booth mayhem
He's driving a matte black AMG
Last week he took all my honor, and I wouldn't bother
But my mom says to take it back.

and everybody say, Sid, dontcha know

{Refrain}
You don't tug on Super Swede's cape
You don't doubt Bradley's chin
You don't crash the net on Jose or Varly
And you don't mess with Ovechkin

Well a hush fell over the ice rink
When Ovie came skatin' in offa the bench
And when the scoring was done
The only thing that wasn't broken was a piece of Crosby's shin
And he was bruised in 'bout a hundred places
And he was swollen in a couple more
And you better believe the points were all Ovie's
When Crosby hit the floor