Trent Williams was Redskins' best fit

(By Mark Von Holden - Getty Images for ESPN)

All is usual sunshine and happiness during the NFL draft broadcasts, and such was the case with the Redskins' pick of Trent Williams, whose talent was pretty universally lauded on Thursday night. The NFL Networks' Mike Mayock was particularly complimentary, suggesting that Williams was the perfect fit.

Mike Mayock

"I've said all along I think he's the guy that fits their zone scheme the best," Mayock said. "I love Russell Okung as a football player, but this is the most athletic offensive tackle in the draft. They run that zone scheme, that left tackle on the back side has got to get the cut-off block. He's the most athletic, explosive tackle in the draft. He's got long arms, he's a pass protector. The only knock on this kid coming out was off the field. Why was he not dominant against average players when he was dominant against excellent players? So they need more consistency of effort, but he's an immensely talented young man."

Marshall Faulk

"You have to be careful of that, and guys do that in college," Faulk said. "You play to the level of your competition. When you get to the NFL, there's gonna be some great ones and there's gonna be some good ones. Not bad ones. So he has to watch that. But if you have Donovan McNabb, you need a left tackle, you have to protect him."

Steve Mariucci

"We know that he's a talented guy, a big guy, an athletic guy for a left tackle, and that's where they would like him to play," Mariucci added. "But when we saw him play center in the bowl game, that says he's got to be a smart guy too. This guy's making calls, with protection, snapping regular, snapping shotgun. What a versatile offensive lineman. I don't know of anybody else who can play tackle and center."

Vinny Cerrato

Over on ESPN Radio, Vinny Cerrato made a final prediction: that the Redskins would take Russell Okung. John Clayton predicted the pick correctly, and then asked how it was that he knows more about the Redskins than Cerrato does. Unanswerable.

"I think they liked the athleticism of Trent Williams," Cerrato said after the pick was made. "He was outstanding at the combine, so I think running a West Coast offense, the zone stuff, I think they like the athleticism."

Maybe his future isn't in radio.

Jon Gruden

"Hard to find big guys with this kind of athletic ability," Gruden said on ESPN's broadcast. "Mike Shanahan in Denver, he took [Ryan] Clady, he understands what he's looking for, and this guy has a lot of physical attiributes that fit the Washington Redskins offense perfectly. Watch his workout. I've never seen anything like it."

Mel Kiper

"Trent Williams is arguably the most athletic offensive tackle to come out in recent memory," Kiper said. "Did he always play to that level of his talent? No he did not. And I think this is a gamble on greatness that you take this early, is can you motivate him?

Chris Foerster, the offensive line coach, is gonna be under the gun, under pressure to get the most out of Trent Williams. He was a right tackle when Phil Loadholt was the left tackle two years ago, that great year that Sam Bradford had with 50 touchdown passes. This year he moved to left tackle, did a solid job overall. Some quick pass rushers gave him a little trouble. Moved to center, started at center against Stanford.

"This is a kid, 6-4-and-a-half, 314 pounds, ran a 4.8 at the combine, 4.8. Vertical was 34-and-a-half inches. Now the problem is, only 23 reps [at 225 pounds]. He's got to get stronger, he's got to work harder in the offseason so he can maximize his ability come game day and come the regular season. As I say, the offensive line coach with the Washington Redskins has a lot of work to do. He knew he had to help his line. This is a good starting point, because there's nothing but question marks on that line. McNabb needs Trent Williams to be the starter at left tackle from Day 1....

"We talk about athleticism and the way he goes about his business physically and athletically, he is off the charts. Now, had he played to the level of that talent week after week over the last two years, you could have made an argument that he could have been the best player in this draft. But the fact of the matter was, he did not....Coaches in this league think they can get a kid with that kind of off the chart ability and coach him and motivate him into being the great player he could possibly be."

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 22, 2010; 8:50 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: T.O. thinks the Redskins need a receiver
Next: Malcolm Kelly's advice to Trent Williams

Comments

He'll get plenty of practice against O'sackPro playing the left side in camp.

Posted by: yampaco | April 22, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Mel Kiper is obviously losing his touch!!! Tired of watching Espn and seeing Clausen #1 on Mels board.....just because Jimmys agent is good friends with Mel. I'd rather just listen to Gruden all evening. Mels finished and old news. Bring in Jimmy Kimmel to take his spot, he'll do just as good.

Posted by: kevinlc555 | April 22, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

TRUST IN MR. SHANAHAN AND MR. ALLEN. THEY WILL LEAD THE WAY!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | April 22, 2010 9:37 PM | Report abuse

I hope his lazy reputation stays in Norman. This is a risky pick. Should have gone with Berry and sorted out the O-line in a different way.

Posted by: thetruth7 | April 22, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thetruth7 | April 22, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Great pick, now lets get another offensive lineman. By the way, who would hire Vinny Cerrato as an analyst. Why not throw Matt Millen in there to.

Posted by: skinsfanfrmbirth | April 22, 2010 10:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: thetruth7 | April 22, 2010 10:01 PM | Report abuse

Are you serious? Miss us with that wack post!!!

Posted by: onemikeclark | April 22, 2010 10:23 PM | Report abuse

Well the media kept telling us we'd draft a QB and you gotta give them credit...2 years in a row we draft a massive QB with our first round pick. Just hope this QB Trent Williams can play O-line as good as last year's QB Orakpo played d line/linebacker. Hopefully next year's first round QB can play safety.

Posted by: Barno1 | April 22, 2010 10:25 PM | Report abuse

I'm a lifelong Redskins fan from the DC area but now live in Nebraska. Suh made Williams look like a paper doll in the games he played against him. This is a bust.

Posted by: neb_jeff | April 22, 2010 10:36 PM | Report abuse

They saw something in this kid and they picked him. Anyone saying he is a bust and we screwed up before the kid makes one snap in the league is on CRACK!!!! Let's see what happens before we start predicting a kids career. If he is an all pro in the future these same fools on here cutting him down will be bowing there heads like Buddha and be slobbing the knocker/doorknob. I trust Shanny and Bruce, something we all need to do. That's why we are couch QB's and GM's and they get paid to do it in real life.

Welcome Trent! Good to have you man!!!

Posted by: ajb1094 | April 22, 2010 11:41 PM | Report abuse

If Vinny can't predict the pick, that is a good sign.

Posted by: mja712 | April 22, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Great pick!!

All you people out there that are upset because we didn't pick Berry need to understand what we needed... our BIGGEST need... and we addressed it. Mark my words all you nasayers... we'll be 9-7 next year and earn a wild card birth.

Great job this offseason... we got a great GM, a Hall of Fame coach, a veteran QB, depth in RB and a starting OT in the draft.

The last thing on the list is to get the premadonnas inline or shipped out... I'm more excited about the discipline this team will have then drafting untested wanna be pro football players.

Dallas sucks... Go 'Skins!

Posted by: netdesigns | April 23, 2010 12:55 AM | Report abuse

Is it just me or is Steve Young just PAINFUL to listen to? Gruden looks like he wants to smack him everytime he opens his mouth.

Posted by: jfwil | April 23, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

"(Its better to) fail with honor than to succeed by fraud."

Great shirt... if that kind of statement is a true indication of his character then he will be a great addition to the team. Welcome to Washington Trent!

Posted by: b1rd | April 23, 2010 8:43 AM | Report abuse

Great, we got Slimm Thug's twin to play Oline

Posted by: bernard_thompson | April 23, 2010 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey Vinny...when you're getting punked by John Clayton, you're having a bad day!

Posted by: G-SHOK | April 23, 2010 9:59 AM | Report abuse

Ok Gruden, Mooch and Mayock said it best and I'd tend to believe that Shanahan and his coaches know best, as for those other point of views they stink and I don't put alot into their analysis especially Faulk and even more so Kiper. His rant about Clausen just got to be unbearable, the most irritating part of all this is they rank players talk them up to be so great and once a team drafts them seems you get nothing but negatives. As an ex-military guy I can say this much good leaders get guys to follow and get the most out of them and Shanahan is a good leader...

Posted by: papaskynz | April 23, 2010 10:06 AM | Report abuse

I love that Vinny couldn't predict the pick, makes me like this kid even more.

Posted by: jpfterps | April 23, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Now if they can just work a miracle and find a starting RG, RT, and FS on day three of the draft?

Posted by: zickzack | April 23, 2010 12:01 PM | Report abuse

Gruden is a lot better than I thought he would be, but that scowl on his face has to go. He over does it with the intense coach face. but he offers positive and detailed spins to a lot of the conversation. Berman, and his effort to make non stories from the moment, was the waste of time.

Posted by: oknow1 | April 23, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if it's possible to get a law passed that requires Vinny Cerrato to wear a helmet at all times and travel by short bus no matter where he has to go.

Posted by: Toochilled | April 23, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Toochilled | April 23, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Toochilled | April 23, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

I remember the lazy tag was hung on another Redskin, Charley Taylor, how did that work out? Mel's first round, 6 of 32, his Clausen obsession, he should just stick to showing highlights of the picks.

Posted by: JAMNEW | April 23, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I love that Vinny couldn't predict the pick, makes me like this kid even more.

Posted by: jpfterps | April 23, 2010 11:13 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, that Orakpo guy sucks

Posted by: Barno1 | April 23, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jfwil | April 23, 2010 8:01 AM | Report abuse

I agree Steve Young was bad last night, but Tom Jackson was worse. I actually thought he was drunk at one point. He provided zero insight into any of these players. I really didn't know why he was there.

Posted by: anw821 | April 23, 2010 3:36 PM | Report abuse

William's Offensive Coordinator at Oklahoma says he is by far the best he has coached. This, from a guy who coached 2 other first round picks that made it to the Pro Bowl.

Posted by: shanks1 | April 23, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

The most irritating, irrelevant, inflammatory pontiffs in the media:

1) Mel Kiper

2) Glenn Beck

3) Keith Olbermann

4) Bill O'Reilly

5) Jim Cramer

Kiper and Beck take the cake because they have never had JOBS, outside of media, in the field they talk about. Cramer, at least, was a hedge fund manager, or something like that.

Posted by: jboogie1 | April 23, 2010 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I think the best part is that Vinny had been lobbying to get the Skins to pick Clausen in the first round. This pick shows that despite rumors to the contrary he no longer has any influence in the organization. That in itself is certainly cause for celebration.

Posted by: ExPatYankee | April 23, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

The most irritating, irrelevant, inflammatory comment on this blog:
jboogie1 | April 23, 2010 4:09 PM.

You sir, are almost as ignorant as Pelosi, Reid, and Osama Hussein combined.

I am glad Bruce Allen made an intelligent pick. Almost as intelligent as me getting out of DC, where the free world used to exist.

Posted by: damnright | April 23, 2010 11:24 PM | Report abuse

I love the pick. It addresses the most dire need and you got the best player that fits the offensive scheme of the team.
I have never heard of anyone (realistically) saying that Berry would be a serious pick unless the Skins traded back to 7-12 and got a bunch of picks in return. That didn't happen so Williams makes sense. I just don't understand the Riley pick in the 4th. That must mean that good ole Rocky had better put the "For Sale" sign out on his front yard.
Bruce Campbell would have been a coup and would have turned back the clock a decade on the offensive line but I think this coaching staff has a definite plan to address the age of the O-line.
Vinny kills me. Complete imbecile!

Posted by: jack98797543 | April 24, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

"Almost as intelligent as me getting out of DC, where the free world used to exist.Posted by: damnright"

LOL I think DC got the better of that deal.

Posted by: Samson151 | April 24, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

When the headline said "Analysts Rave About Pick" of course as a Skins fan, I opened to hopefully read rare positive news about anything Redskin. After seeing who the writer was, I figured the headline would be a bit misleading. Seeing Marshall Faulks name second, I saved reading him for last. I'm sure others have noticed that as far as anything Redskin, Faulk is instantly, "I must say negative even if its foolish". Most of the positives mainly talked about athleticism. I for one haven't forgotten Mark May, That 1st rounder ended up playing guard, with a free agent rookie at blindside tackle. I say, if in training camp it shows with this young man at left tackle Donovan Mcnabb will get bazookaed, he will end up at right guard.

Posted by: DMcCall2 | April 24, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

Mcintosh is the best linebacker on the team period, and he's young. Mister Fletcher couldn't check me(Sorry London). Carlos Rogers is a good just now maturing NFL cornerback, fans seem only to notice his few warts instead of his many positives. Also, this over 50 year old longtime Redskin fan, absolutely loves the pictured youngmans T-shirt. Judging by last year, every Redskin safety needs to wear one, or go help another franchise lose winnable games. I know this will be popular, because the Oh so great middle linebacker needs to wear one also. Since I'm a teeny-bit fired up let me say, Albert Haynesworth plays like one-time Redskin players were universally respected for. Give it what you got, leave it on the field, for the team player. He tried to show how a TEAM should play. What he said late last year, I'd been saying all year to my friends. If any writer knew it, they didn't dare write it. And our fool secondary coach Jerry Gray, who was praised for expressing how teammates would do something negative to a teammate, when all I cared about was when we played that Sunday (Against those Cowgirls from Texas), would his secondary stop playing the way Albert was saying the team was playing. And don't let me even start talking about the one player who was killing himself (With the coaches help), trying to help losers win: CLINTON PORTIS.

Posted by: DMcCall2 | April 24, 2010 6:55 PM | Report abuse