Vinny Cerrato to offer draft commentary

Have you missed former D.C. radio host and player personnel evaluator Vinny Cerrato on the airwaves? Were you wondering whether he's still high on Jimmy Clausen? Will you be especially thinking about him as late April rolls around? And will you especially especially want to hear his thoughts after the Redskins pick fourth in the draft?

Well rest easy, local Redskins fans. ESPN Radio has got you covered. From the network's draft-coverage press release comes this fabulous news:

Freddie Coleman will anchor the networks 2010 NFL Draft coverage from Radio City Music Hall, joined by ESPN.com senior NFL writer John Clayton and former Washington Redskins GM Vinny Cerrato.

Well, make that "former Redskins Executive Vice President for Football Operations," but we know what you meant. I expect him to be thoroughly speechless if the Redskins use their top pick to select a left tackle. And then I expect someone else in the studio to explain to him what a left tackle is.

Incidentally, if Cerrato's going back into radio full-time, I'm hoping maybe he could have Jim Bowden on as a guest. Or vice versa. Maybe they could have each other as guests simultaneously.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 13, 2010; 3:01 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Wizards season, in four minutes
Next: The Caps' airplane poker games

Comments

By Dan Steinberg | April 13, 2010; 3:01 PM

While they're at it, can they explain it to Snyder as well?

Posted by: Daspig | April 13, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

It still hasn't fully hit me that he's gone. I might have to tune in to hear that shrill voice of his for old times sake.

Posted by: Andymr | April 13, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget those bizarre eyes either. Better yet, let's just forget everything about Cerrato.

Posted by: sportphoto | April 13, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

First Matt Millen, now Vinny Cerrato. If they land Phil Savage, I'll be convinced that ESPN is an elaborate prank being pulled on mankind.

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | April 13, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I hope that throughout the second round, he'll advise everyone on the clock to trade their pick for Jason Taylor.

And then he can do it again in the third round, only substitute T.J. Duckett.

Posted by: drischord | April 13, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: StuScott_Booyahs | April 13, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

As ESPN's goal is to make the joe six pack fan feel like he is smarter than the average GM, they tend to bring in guys like these village Idiots to show them that they are right.

Posted by: alex35332 | April 13, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

I was really hoping he'd be on TV so I could attend and have him sign my shirt.

Posted by: HogsHaven | April 13, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

"I expect him to be thoroughly speechless if the Redskins use their top pick to select a left tackle. And then I expect someone else in the studio to explain to him what a left tackle is."

Priceless...I'm nominating this for the Pulitzer Mr. Steinberg.

Posted by: VarlyisNarly | April 13, 2010 4:28 PM | Report abuse

in all fairness, cerrato is a pretty good talent evaluator and hopefully he'll have some insightful things to say.
on the other hand, i don't think he realizes there are 53 men on the roster...

Posted by: bacaje | April 13, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

For all the hate that Vinny gets, let's not forget that he drafted Orakpo who turned out well.

He may not be a good GM, but he isn't a dunce like Matt Millen.

Posted by: PriorKnowledge | April 13, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Later this year, Bruce Allen will offer commentary on whatever Cerrato does with his time these days.

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 13, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

bacaje and PriorKnowledge are obviously cousins of Vinny.

Honestly, I'm not convinced that Vinny has no say at all with the Redskins organization. Did he move out of $nyder's house yet?

Posted by: HawksPride | April 13, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

I ASSume Vinny's insight will be broadcast on Comedy Central with a laugh track.

Posted by: nativedc | April 13, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

Vinny Cerrato is a mud pickle. The next time he speaks intelligently about the draft will be the first time...

Posted by: DESkinzFan1 | April 13, 2010 10:16 PM | Report abuse

now there's a valued opinion...I'll probably miss that show and hopefully any possible rebroadcast.

Posted by: outrbnksm | April 13, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

This really just blows me away. Why pay someone who was a complete failure at an endeavor to be a commentator on that same endeavor?

Posted by: kenboy1 | April 14, 2010 5:57 AM | Report abuse

The hate people have for Vinny is pretty sad. The guy was seen as one of the better talent evaluators in the sport of football, from his time at Notre Dame, to the 49ers, to yes, even the Skins. He clearly had a good eye for talent, that much just isn't debatable...but he just wasn't a good GM. He should be able to find work as a director of scouting again in this league.

And from the reports of what he did for a dying George Michael to all his charity work, I just find it strange people can't seem to separate "bad at his job" from "bad person."

Posted by: Barno1 | April 14, 2010 12:14 PM | Report abuse

I've been a 'Skins fan all my life, and I just don't understand all this abuse being heaped on Vinny Cerrato. The fact is, he's a really nice guy, and he's always been there to help me out whenever I've needed him. I remember back when I was having family problems, he advised me to trade my wife and infant son for a much older woman and two "conditional" kids. Admittedly, two years later I was a widower, but I sure learned a lot about caring for the elderly during those two years! Later, when I was down and out and struggling to make ends meet, he told me, "don't even bother meeting your ends - just grab whatever's off the waiver wire." What's more, he definitely knew what an offensive line was, because every time I saw him in a local bar, some woman was slapping him or throwing a drink into his face. So let's be a little nicer to Vinny, okay? It's not his fault that expensive veteran star players usually fail to single-handedly produce double-digit wins and playoff appearances once they're traded to a completely different team with an inexperienced coach.

Posted by: JKfromClifton | April 14, 2010 1:56 PM | Report abuse

How long will we have to wait until Frank Caliendo takes his place?

Posted by: 21stCenturyCaveman | April 15, 2010 9:06 AM | Report abuse