William & Mary chooses the Griffin

Well, William & Mary's name is still the Tribe. But the mascot is now the Griffin.

There is a new, powerful guardian of the nation's second oldest institution of higher education. The College of William & Mary announced Tuesday that its new mascot, the Griffin - a mythical creature with the head of an eagle and the body of a lion - has arrived on the Williamsburg campus.

"The Griffin has joined the Tribe," said William & Mary President Taylor Reveley, who unveiled the new mascot Tuesday during a campus-wide event in William & Mary Hall's Kaplan Arena. "With its arrival, we now have a mascot that unites strength with intelligence, recalls our royal origins, and speaks to our deep roots in American history."

Nice choice, William & Mary. Your mascot intimidates me. Your video, on the other hand, bores me.

UPDATE: Gheorghe: The Blog is incensed. I think.

By Dan Steinberg  |  April 6, 2010; 6:01 PM ET
Categories:  Atlantic 11 , College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Redskins' fantasy football offense
Next: Nats TV ratings way up for opening day

Comments

Hold up -- William and Mary has athletic teams? Huh...

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 6, 2010 6:43 PM | Report abuse

Confidential to NateinthePDX: Griffins aren't real either.

Posted by: Section506 | April 6, 2010 6:56 PM | Report abuse

You just blew my mind, 506.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 6, 2010 7:34 PM | Report abuse

(And yes, I'm well aware that my alma mater, UVa, has been defeated by William and Mary in various recent athletic contests. That's not the point.)

Posted by: NateinthePDX | April 6, 2010 7:40 PM | Report abuse

Ugh. This is awful.

(W&M Alumni here)

Posted by: lordscarlet1 | April 6, 2010 9:22 PM | Report abuse

Fear the Griffin?

Posted by: JohninMpls | April 6, 2010 9:31 PM | Report abuse

I'd pay money for that pug shirt.
Just sayin...

Posted by: JJones-CapitalWeatherGang | April 6, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Considering their freshman class probably grew up reading Harry Potter, this was a very shrewd move.
Love the griffin.
Love the video.
Love W&M.
The rest of you--please don't be hatin'.

Posted by: marklvis | April 6, 2010 10:41 PM | Report abuse

"The Griffin has joined the Tribe,"

Right after Passover, too.

Oy.

Posted by: metatext | April 6, 2010 11:15 PM | Report abuse

I submitted the idea of the Griffin through e-mail to Ms. Evans who tends the WM blog a year and a month ago, but never received any response - (and I have proof because I saved the sent e-mail). Until anyone can prove otherwise, it looks likely that I am the founder of the mascot by virtue of how early I made my submission.

Posted by: jdblev86 | April 7, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Maybe this would be ok, if the illustration of the mascot didn't look like it wasn't wearing any pants. Check it out: http://www.wm.edu/news/stories/2010/new-mascot-announced-123.php

I mean, I know a griffin is a half lion, half eagle. But actual eagles aren't green and gold, so couldn't they at least have extended the color scheme to the bottom half of the animal, so it doesn't have a colorful top and flesh-colored bottom?

(W&M Alum speaking here)

Posted by: elpando | April 7, 2010 2:04 AM | Report abuse

The Griffin? More P.C. B.S.

Posted by: rg019571 | April 7, 2010 6:09 AM | Report abuse

Weird. And lame.

Posted by: kemp13 | April 7, 2010 8:53 AM | Report abuse

I totally agree, rg019571.

Posted by: lmlegrand | April 7, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

I actually like this mascot. The griffin at least is a creative response to being told they couldn't use their previous logo any longer because of the NCAA PC Police. I agree that perhaps the lion part in the drawings should be a little darker.

A group of griffins is called a tribe, so the mascot and nickname do make sense. Unlike the Gunston/Patriots disaster we had at Mason.

(GMU grad here, not W&M).

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | April 7, 2010 9:40 AM | Report abuse

As a WM alum, I can safely say the Pug got screwed. I demand a recount.

Maybe we can just bring back Ebirt?

Posted by: coldasweiss | April 7, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

Stupid, irrelevant mascot. Terrible video.

Posted by: bethesdaguy | April 7, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

I say bring back the old W&M logo:

and say those are griffin feathers (and not indian) and tell the NCAA to f*** off!

Posted by: RichinVA | April 7, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

that photo looks like something that is walking around Kings Dominion.....and making little children cry.

Posted by: Durham2 | April 7, 2010 12:28 PM | Report abuse

"Stupid, irrelevant mascot."... Yeah, well, turtles and turkeys were already taken, so...

Posted by: RiSKybizness | April 7, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Release the...Griffin?

Posted by: tjdoyl | April 7, 2010 2:30 PM | Report abuse

Is the Griffin related to ManBearPig?

Posted by: tsbrul1 | April 7, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

I always thought it was spelled "Griffon".......

Posted by: dah1963 | April 7, 2010 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: RiSKybizness"

---------------
Here's the difference Risky -- The Maryland teams are the Terrapins, hence the Turtle. Virginia Tech was originally the Gobblers, hence the Turkey.

William and Mary is the Tribe. Hence the Griffon?

Posted by: bethesdaguy | April 8, 2010 12:02 PM | Report abuse