Arrington: Haynesworth "might as well forget about it" in D.C.

(2004 photo by John McDonnell - TWP)

Daniel Snyder's comments about Albert Haynesworth last weekend weren't extensive, and they weren't fiery. They also weren't very vague.

"I'm disappointed he's not here. Absolutely," Snyder said. "We're expecting our players to lead by example, and we're expecting our players to understand that they're Redskins and they need to be there."

To LaVar Arrington, that quote meant the beginning of the end for Haynesworth's tenure with the Redskins. During a pretty interesting hour of radio earlier this week, Arrington laid out why he thinks this is just about it for Haynesworth, and how it all relates to the situation he went through with the same franchise.

"Look, I'm just giving you guys a perspective of why Albert Haynesworth is in trouble in Washington," Arrington said. "He might as well forget about it in D.C. That's all I'm saying....

"It doesn't matter how much you make, it doesn't matter who you are. You go against the grain any way shape form that they don't feel good about, and now that Dan Snyder has made it known that he don't fool with what's going on with Albert Haynesworth, I'm letting you know that that's it. That's it. unless he's changed - which I don't see how that happens - but unless he's changed from the type of person he was when I was playing on the team, Albert Haynesworth, he's got to gear up. He's got to gear up for a lot of mental warfare and emotional warfare that's going to go on with him if he remains a Washington Redskin. Bottom line. Bottom line."

This all began when a caller mentioned that he thought the Redskins would try to find a way to jettison Haynesworth. And that led Arrington into a story from his final season in Washington. He had already been benched, and was mostly playing special teams. The Redskins were in Kansas City in mid-October, a few days before the trade deadline. It was the day before the game, and Michigan was playing Arrington's alma mater, Penn State. (Yes, all these details check out.)

"This is how deep they go with it when they try to get you to do what they want you to do, this is how deep they go," Arrington said. "I'm getting off the bus...and Joe Gibbs calls me to go into the meeting room, one of the board rooms that we meet in, and basically asks me to sign away my whole contract, to be a free agent, so I could just be a free agent on the street. And you know what his reasoning was? You're a good player. Someobdy'll pick you up.

"I'm the highest paid player on the team. God is my witness. I promise everybody listening, I would not lie to you. Y'all look it up....This is how deep they go with what they do, they sent Joe Gibbs in the room to tell me just sign away your whole contract. Sign away your whole contract. You'll become a free agent, you'll have a little bit of money from this one roster bonus, and then you can get signed. You're a good player. Somebody else will sign you. The eve of the trade deadline being over, this is what Joe Gibbs said to me. I swear to the Lord....

"All's I'm saying is, when they ready to get rid of you, you best be ready to go. Because here's the thing. They're trying to get Albert Haynesworth to see things a certain way or do things a certain way. If Albert Haynesworth isn't doing it the way they want him to do it, now that they've turned cold on him...they are going to put him in a situation where it's going to be very difficult for him to keep his cool. They're going to do certain things to try to get him to do what they want him to do so that they can get the results that they're looking for, bottom line...."

"Just looking at it from the way this is all setting up and the way it's unfolding, that's what they're planning on doing. They may play him, but it's gonna be a very very short leash. And if they do bench him, if they do find a way not to play him, they're going to hope for him to do something that would call for them to be able to get out of his contract."

As for his own situation, how did Arrington respond to Gibbs? He said he initially asked his agent to explore a trade, but that Gibbs said that wasn't an option. So then Arrington said no, he wasn't going to sign his way out of the contract.

"No, I'm not doing that," Arrington remembered saying. "You've got to be kidding me. I told him that's not gonna work, Joe. If we're gonna do this, let's try to figure out a trade situation, if you don't want to play me."

And when Arrington ultimately left the team the following year and signed with the New York Giants, he said, it was because he wanted to face his old team as often as possible.

"At the end of the day, the reason why I chose the Giants over Green Bay was first and foremost, I just wanted to have the opportunity to play against the 'Skins again," he said. "I wanted to play against the Skins. After what they did to me, I wanted to win a game against Dan Snyder, or as many as I possibly could against Dan Snyder. Had nothing to do with the team, had nothing to do with the fans, I just wanted to get back at Dan Snyder."

Arrington acknowledged that his situation was different in many ways; for one thing, he was feuding directly with the front office, while Haynesworth's sparring partner is more on the coaching side. Still, he said that the team would attempt to extricate itself from No. 92, and wouldn't waste much time.

"This is almost overshadowing what the Washington Redskins have done by bringing in Mike Shanahan, by bringing in Bruce Allen, by bringing in Donovan McNabb," Arrington said. "Matter of fact, I'm willing to say the Albert Haynesworth controversy has overshadowed any Washington Redskins news, and it's difficult to say that that's not an embarrassment to a team that's already trying to keep its fan base, that's trying to reconnect to its fan base.

"So if you're part of the problem, if you're part of embarrassing this organization - which his actions, whether justified whether confirmed or not, [are] playing out in the media -- and they're seeing this, they have to do damage control over what he's saying and he's doing. Believe me, all roads lead to them doing whatever it is they need to do to move on from Albert Haynesworth."

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 19, 2010; 4:03 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Vonnie Holliday on Haynesworth
Next: Paula Deen, Ham Brigade at Nats Park

Comments

Man, LaVar better watch what he says or he's going to get traded.

Posted by: fan-o-matic | May 19, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

Please stop with the Haynesworth posts. PLEASE.

Posted by: Terry_Allen | May 19, 2010 4:19 PM | Report abuse

DarkHeart does a pretty good job of embarrassing the team himself.

Posted by: rdpinva | May 19, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Arrington, wow. Does he even try to mask his bitterness? How can anyone listen to what he says? He is not reputable. Do you post what Antonio Pierce has to say about the redskins? Who let Arrington back into DC?

Posted by: hskins | May 19, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

What part of VOLUNTARY doesnt anyone understand?

It would be different if he wasnt attending MANDATORY workouts.

Let it go for god's sake, how much longer is this crap going to keep coming up?

Posted by: DMoney28 | May 19, 2010 4:40 PM | Report abuse

Seemed like a pretty generic comment from Snyder regarding Haynesworth. I'm sure he felt the same way when Sean Taylor was skipping voluntary workouts and not returning Joe Gibbs' calls--so I don't see why this would be any different, regardless of the amount of Hayneworth's contract. It's always disappointing when a guy skips the voluntary stuff, but you don't necessarily ship someone elsewhere because of it.

Getting really sick of LaVar's tired old game of trying to settle the score with Snyder and the Skins. Snyder did not cheat him out of millions of dollars, and the fact that to this day--despite all the evidence to the contrary, and despite all logic and common sense--that LaVar amazingly still believes Snyder intentionally cheated him out of millions of dollars in bonus money shows just how delusional out of touch with reality LaVar is.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 19, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I am sure most teams in this situation will do the same, because team unity, marching on the same drumbeat is so important. Corporate world works the same way. It's all common sense, What is strange is that there are people who really think they are more special than anyone else.

Posted by: jc250 | May 19, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Maybe it's the delightful Sam Adams Summer Ale I just enjoyed, but I actually didn't understand much of Arrington's transcribed statement or his point, except that he's still angry.

I'm not 100% sure he understands his own point or what the Skins were trying to do.

And I expect better from the Bog, which is customarily my guide to clear understanding of sports-related pettifoggery.

Posted by: farstriker | May 19, 2010 6:01 PM | Report abuse

farstriker, I think in this case the Bog is serving in the role of "the transcriber" and leaving the interpretizing to us.

My take: LaVar went from favorite son status to being screwed in that contract shabingus and then off the team in a fortnight. He believes he has Special Insight into the way things run at Redskin Park, even after a complete regime change in the front office. So in his mind, he's uniquely positioned to comment on what he sees as a similar story arc unfolding with Haynie.

Maybe LaVar is right, but I think Albert's on the team when we kick off in September, and I think that's how it should be, given that he's the best player on the defense and all.

Posted by: NateinthePDX | May 19, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse

The problem with guys like Arrington and Haynesworth is they feel no obligation for the salary they're paid. He's a bitter guy who can't get over it, and Haynesworth is a low-character guy who doesn't think he owes the Skins anything for the $32 million they've paid him already. Ridiculous.

Posted by: JWMtneer | May 19, 2010 6:27 PM | Report abuse

Dan Snyder's a dink. This can't be news to anyone. I for one hope the Redskins have another thrilling year like last year. It was fun to watch.

Posted by: caps1974 | May 19, 2010 6:48 PM | Report abuse

Haynesworth, Arrington, blah blah blah...

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | May 19, 2010 6:59 PM | Report abuse

The babbling idiot, Arrington left out one important detail. He brought it all on himself !

Both Haynesworth and Arrington believe they are a greater sum value and/ or worth more, than the franchise itself.

I've got news for these two dimwits. We've had better players at both positions, than these two idiots could ever think of being.

For starters: Dave Butz, Sam Huff, Chris Hanberger, World Grant, Tim Johnson, Ken Harvey, Monty Coleman all come to mind.

I'd take any and all,, of the aforementioned players over Arrington Haynesworth. And not look back.

Posted by: dashriprock | May 19, 2010 7:43 PM | Report abuse

fat als the only player not in camp.. the ONLY PLAYER!! enough with the its not mandatory crap.. he should feel embarrass n ashamed..

Posted by: cboyhater | May 19, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Paying anyone the sums that the Skins do, without a performance clause is foolish. Yet teams do it, and they get burned by players who lack the integrity that you wish they had.

Posted by: maus92 | May 19, 2010 7:48 PM | Report abuse

Who cares! With the owner they have they're destined for mediocrity no matter what they do.

Posted by: Jimbo77 | May 19, 2010 8:00 PM | Report abuse

Let me see if I get right. Over the years, Snyder has publicly screwed Marty Schottenheimer, Jason Campbell, Redskins season ticket holders, Skins fans for bringing signs and t-shirts with messages into Fed Ex Field, and just recently Channel 7 News by preventing them from covering a heartwarming story on a Redskin cheerleader who was being suprised by her husband/boyfriend returning from Iraq, and at one point they even threatened to fire her. Still many of you find it impossible that he screwed Lavar.

Posted by: akjproductions | May 19, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Let me see if I get this right. Over the years, Snyder has publicly screwed Marty Schottenheimer, Jason Campbell, Redskins season ticket holders, Skins fans for bringing signs and t-shirts with messages into Fed Ex Field, and just recently Channel 7 News by preventing them from covering a heartwarming story on a Redskin cheerleader who was being suprised by her husband/boyfriend returning from Iraq, and at one point they even threatened to fire her. Still many of you find it impossible that he screwed Lavar.

Posted by: akjproductions | May 19, 2010 8:18 PM | Report abuse

akjproductions, perhaps if it was actually Dan Snyder who had "publicly screwed" those people, then you MIGHT have a point. But since for the most part he had nothing to do with most of them, well, your comment is completely irrelevant and nonsensical. I mean, channel 7? You really think Snyder had anything to do with that? Only to turn right around and write them an apology? Um, no.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 19, 2010 8:34 PM | Report abuse

I just hope Snyder is Shanahan's errand boy here.
Otherwise, I'm happy to see the fathead gone, even if he's still fairly good (and that's a stretch, he's probably full of Hershey bars right now), the damage he causes to the team morale is worse than his benefit.

Posted by: kls1 | May 19, 2010 10:12 PM | Report abuse

Arrington sounds like he knows he screwed up.

Posted by: kls1 | May 19, 2010 10:15 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, I been reading your posts for months now, and you never hold Snyder accountable for anything that goes wrong within the Skins organization. Despite his numerous public relation nightmares, his poor win/lost record, his bad hirings & firings just to name a few, you still give him a pass on everything. Why is that?

Posted by: akjproductions | May 19, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

Barno1, as an employee of a contractor for the Redskins, I can tell you with much accuracy that Dan Snyder controls the "public screwing" that goes on with the team. He gives carte blanche to his staff to disrespect any and all employees for the sake of getting the job done, and when that task makes the team look bad in the court of public opinion, he takes the position of not knowing what went on and "taking steps to improve our response" BS. He's a clown, plain and simple, and he wishes he had the football acumen of Jimmy Jones. Unfortunately, Redskin fans are too loyal; otherwise, he would feel the pain in his pocket and change his ways.

Posted by: walter17 | May 19, 2010 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: akjproductions | May 19, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

I have posted my criticisms of Snyder on these blogs in the past--though most of my issues with him took place years ago. For instance: the firing of Charlie Casserly, the firing of Norv when the team was 7-6 and alive in the playoff hunt, the hiring of Steve Spurrier when Marty had gone 8-3 in the final 11 games of the previous season, the bonanza of 2000 when he brought in big name guys we did not need who disrupted team chemistry on a team that won a division the previous year, not hiring a GM from the get go and using a GM by committee approach with him, Vinny, and head coach making decisions together. But most of this stuff took place in his early years as an owner and I sincerely believe he has changed for the better ever since Joe Gibbs came back in 2004.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 20, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

Barno enjoys sucking Danny-Boy's dong so you'll never get him to say anything to critical of his hero.

Of course Barno has no evidence that Danny-Boy "has changed for the better" but that won't stop him from constantly spouting off his assinine excuses he makes for Danny-Boy.

He can't be all up on Vinny Cerrato's jock anymore so he's just moving up a notch.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 20, 2010 2:29 AM | Report abuse

How can Arrington brag about being the highest paid Redskin at the time and still complain about getting cheated out of millions on his contract sounds like an oximoron to me.

Posted by: Scm_77 | May 20, 2010 3:23 AM | Report abuse

"They're going to do certain things to try to get him to do what they want him to do so that they can get the results that they're looking for". And what's wrong with that?

Posted by: ronjaboy | May 20, 2010 6:48 AM | Report abuse

Arrington was an overrated diva. And he still has a bug up his butt because the team finally stopped kissing his lazy butt. He has no credibility.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 20, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

By the way, as much as I dislike Arrington, I have no clue whether Snyder cheated him out of money or not. And neither does Barno, unless he is Dan Snyder.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 20, 2010 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Arrington was easily one of the best and most productive players on the team when he played. Three pro-bowls in his first 4 seasons with the Skins. He was not overrated.

The Skins and Raiders are 2 of the most dysfunctional NFL organizations of the last decade. Top rated players have frequently gone to these teams and faded into nothingness.

Posted by: Alan4 | May 20, 2010 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Gee, your employer who is paying you millions of dollars asks you to perform in a certain manner. What an outrage! How ridiculous that there are strings attached to a multi-million dollar contract! Gee, your employer is looking to get rid of you when you don't do what they ask! This is news? LaVar Arrington, who is still retreading on his Redskins career (is he in NY spewing forth this nonsense?) is still complaining bitterly about something that happened a long time ago? Kind of makes you wonder how much respect Gibbs had for his intelligence, if this is even true.

Posted by: KDSmallJr | May 20, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Arrington forgot to add how washed up he was. Never in the right position, and two steps slow. If you want to play like Ray Lewis, you have to get to the ball carrier.

Posted by: jyshim | May 20, 2010 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Arrington's problem was that he played more to get on a Sportscenter highlight than he did to win.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 20, 2010 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"Arrington may be bitter (or maybe not), but that doesn't mean he can't be right."

I think he is bitter, and I also think he's right. But that doesn't make the Washington Redskins any different than any other team in the NFL.

Mike Golic (who when he played was obviously not as good as Haynesworth and I'm definitely not comparing their talent) discussed how he got cut by the Miami Dolphins. He'd had a knee injury the year before, got it fixed during the offseason, and went in for his physical before minicamp. The doctor checked out his knee, asked Golic if he felt he wanted to try to play, and Golic wanted to get out on the field to test his knee and see where he was physically. So the doctor signed a form to allow Golic to participate in minicamp. Golic opened the door and standing right there in the doorway was an official from the Dolphins who told Golic "They want to see you upstairs."

Golic went upstairs and before he got to the GM's office, he saw a list on a desk labeled "Players to Cut" or something like that. His name was obviously on it.

If Golic had complained his knee wasn't right and he couldn't participate in minicamp the Dolphins would have had to pay him an injury settlement. The team doctor didn't make an independant assessment, he allowed Golic to basically make the decision. The Dolphins knew that it would happen that way, and they'd save money.

LaVar's real problem is with the culture of the NFL. If he'd never been a Redskin something like what went down with Gibbs would have happened, just with another team's staff.

Posted by: CJMARTIN04 | May 20, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

Poopy where you been these past few months? I almost missed your daily stalking of every one of my comments with your constant unintelligible and nonsensical responses. You say I have no proof that Dan Snyder has changed for the better as an owner, yet you offer no proof that he has not. And before you attempt to, let me just say that pointing to things he had nothing to do with is not "proof."

Posted by: Barno1 | May 20, 2010 1:38 PM | Report abuse

The Skins should keep AH this year but not play him. Make him come to practice. Each week tell him he isn't good enough to be on the active roster. Show him and every other person on earth who is in charge now that Shanahan is here. Next year trade him for whatever pick we can get.

Posted by: rjregan | May 20, 2010 2:09 PM | Report abuse

what a BIG CRYBABY, WONT HE EVER STOP CRYING

Posted by: wingmd | May 20, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Can't say I fault Snyder for getting rid of Casserly. The team started its slow decline when Beathard left. He was the architect of the great years. Casserly couldn't even hold onto the job at freakin' Houston - an expension club. And nobody has been beating on his door since that gig ended either.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 20, 2010 2:41 PM | Report abuse

It would be different if Haynesworth said he should have received two 21 million dollar bonuses this year and his agent blamed the owner...

Posted by: siris | May 20, 2010 2:43 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad Levar finally spoke a little on the situation. Let's recall Levar went from the Penthouse to the out house in a very short time. the guy that started in front of him averaged .25 tackles a game and was eventually cut after Levar was gone. It was a waste of talent. The same beotch stuff is brewing with Haynesworth. Levar embarrassed Snyder by claiming they cheated him out a bonus. THE SAD PART IS NONE OF THIS HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH FOOTBALL!!!! It's petty personal stuff that points directly to Snyder. It ain't about winning football. it's his ego and image. He's the one constant. The way they treat people says it all too. From Norv to Zorn. he treated grown men like trash.

Posted by: oknow1 | May 20, 2010 3:50 PM | Report abuse

I tend to listen to folks who have some insight and experience about a subject.

LA might be bitter but he use to be a part of the organization.
Haynesworth has no excuse for not being there. The highest paid player absent? That's BS.

As far as Synder is concerned, the guy screwed LA. Yeah his agent should have read the contract before LA signed it but why would they take the money out of the contract without telling them. If an agreement was made, yet the details were changed without notifying the other party; that says more about the cheater than it does about dummy.
They cheated him, he spoke out, then they tried to destroy his career by claiming he over pursued, didn't know the playbook and always out of position.
Besides, remember Lavernious (sp?)? He was going to have a big screen TV shipped to his house so he could watch all the games b/c he refused surgery.

Posted by: priceisright | May 20, 2010 4:01 PM | Report abuse

The bottom line is Albert doesn't WANT to be here. Every other player, whether injured or at odds with their contracts (Rogers and McIntosh) have been here. I hear the crap about him wanting to stay at home and workout with his own trainer, which may or may not be true, and I just laugh. Even if he has the defensive playbook, or film at home, he can't get the guidance he needs from Haslett, or the D-line coach being away from Redskins Park! This is a new defense, and not only does he need to be here to learn it the best, but the players beside him need to learn how to play with him on the line. Haslett has said that Al would play all 3 positions on the line, not just NT. Imagine him lining up at DE with Orakpo next to him. If you are the OT with those two lined up on either shoulder, what in the hell are you supposed to do? Albert is more concerned with doing what he wants to do than helping the team improve and win ball games. The team will improve faster because 99% of the team has been here most every day. The fact that Donovan McNabb stays after to throw to receivers and goes to dinner with a bunch of guys to talk about the playbook and how to best implement it, speaks volumes not only about #5, but about Albert as well. Washington is not the place McNabb truly WANTS to be, but instead of pouting and being upset, he has been a leader from day one. I am not expecting #92 to be a leader like that, but to just do his part, to carry his weight(pun intended).

Posted by: jwat2410 | May 20, 2010 4:32 PM | Report abuse

For the love of god! Does Arrington think the Redskins are the only club to do what they did to him? Where has he been!!!! His rants are getting really old. Hey LaVar, I was a big fan of yours, but for Christ sake get over it!!!!!

Posted by: rmijax | May 20, 2010 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Too me, Lavar's comments seem totally relevant to Haynesworth's situation. What Lavar is talking about is a pattern of behavior with Snyder that we have all witnessed over the years and Lavar was privileged to witness first-hand. Snyder's ego has consistently gotten him into trouble as owner of the Skins, and I would imagine that Haynesworth's dispute will play out according to a familiar script.

Like Haynesworth's contract, Lavar's contract situation became ugly because Dan Snyder displayed a total lack of character in how the contract was written. Lavar didn't exactly handle the business end of the negotiations in the most business-like manner either. Lavar's foolish mistake of signing a contract without a lawyer present was naive at best. He trusted Snyder implicitly and felt he was dealing with "family" -- unfortunately, the business-end of negotiations became too personal and sound judgment went out the window. Haynesworth received similar treatment, and if he displayed an attitude of entitlement, that was the culture Dan Snyder created.

Over the years, we have all seen numerous examples of people who have been either humiliated or have felt cheated by Mr. Snyder and his organization. One of my favorite examples is the sophomoric stunt Snyder pulled when he fired his Defensive Coordinator -- he put melted ice cream on the Coach Nolan's desk because he felt Mike Nolan's defense was too vanilla.

With Haynesworth, Snyder's ego created the problem. After Blache told Haynesworth the truth about his defense and Haynesworth's role in it, Haynesworth was prepared to walk. Snyder stepped in and promised him the expanded role as a pass rusher that Haynesworth was demanding. Haynesworth acts like he feels he was misled by Daniel Snyder himself. It's personal.

Haynesworth is too smart and too bull-headed to let Dan Snyder off the hook, plus he has already won. The Skins can do whatever they want to try to make Haynesworth miserable, because Haynesworth already has his cash. The first loss is the best loss. The Skins need to cut their losses. I would be very surprised if Haynesworth isn't traded for a pittance before the season.

Posted by: dannykurland1 | May 20, 2010 5:51 PM | Report abuse

I'll bet all of u cats that u would not say one word to Albert about his situation in his face the man broke no rules no laws, we need to leave this alone I'm fed up talking about it

Posted by: teresabogans | May 21, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse