Brooks Laich's hit on Alex Ovechkin

This, if you haven't seen it, is the Brooks Laich hit on Alex Ovechkin that ignited a brief Canada-Russia rumble and inspired this photograph.

It also inspired a troubling quote from Ovechkin's teammate, Semyon Varlamov.

"Most of all during the game I was infuriated with the constant attempts to injure Ovechkin by Canadians," Varlamov told Sport-Express, via Alex Ovejtkin. "Even our Capitals teammate Brooks Laich was constantly trying to slash and cross-check him as painful as possible. After the game he certainly wished me luck and victory at the world championship, but the unpleasant impression still remains."

Well, that's not happy. I didn't watch the game, so can't say for sure whether Laich was actually trying to slash and cross-check Ovechkin as painful as possible. But I can say that when I was working on an Ovechkin thing a few months back, Laich offered repeated and extensive praise of his captain. I didn't exactly have to drag it out of him.

"There's been power forwards before, but I don't know if any of them, maybe aside from Lindros, had the ability to really flatten guys, intimidate them physically and also have the skill set that not very many people do," Laich said. "He's gonna go around you or he's gonna go through you, one way or the other, you're probably gonna get beat....

"He's bubbly, he's a rock star, he comes in in the morning at 8 in the morning and yells GOOD MORNING!!! and people are like oh, tone it down, it's 8 a.m. It's just Ovi's personality. It just comes out on the ice, with him flying into the glass. It's not him trying to promote himself or showboating. It's just his passion, his energy. He's a fun guy to watch play hockey....

"I think he's good for our sport. Traditionally, hockey's a very blue-collar, hard-hat, lunch-bucket type game. Personalities and attitudes are supposed to be kept in-house. But I think what Ovi's doing for our sport is great. He's not cocky; he's just energetic and passionate. Like I said, the rock-star attitude helps him, I think....

"People fear playing against him. I've been fortunate to play alongside him for five years and to watch him, and I have a first-class seat to watch him every night. But when I was hurt and sitting in the press box, you really notice how well he plays through his checks. Where if you're there, he's eventually going to get through you, knock you over, knock you off balance somehow and get the puck. And not a lot of guys can do that. A lot of guys, when they run into contact, will stop. Somehow he finds a way to fight through it, and I think he really puts defenders on their heels and puts fear in their eyes....

"You ever hear the saying nature vs. nurture? Nature always wins. That's just how he plays. He's just born with the desire and the passion to compete and to play hard, and he's blessed also with the ability. So those two things go hand in hand, and now you've got a very dangerous combination....

"I think he's just a very energetic person. There's some people that just have that gift, and there's others who are a little more reserved. Alex I don't think really fears anything. He's not fearful of making a fool of himself, he's never gonna get embarrassed or ashamed of himself. Take me like I am. He makes people really, really enjoy it."

(Video via Russian Machine Never Breaks.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 24, 2010; 12:20 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: June 4 Nationals tickets moving briskly
Next: What John Wall knows about D.C.

Comments

Um, first?

Posted by: stwasm | May 24, 2010 12:45 PM | Report abuse

It actually looked like Alex was smiling at Brooks along the boards when the rumble was going on in front of them.

Posted by: tgerbracht | May 24, 2010 1:01 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

Could it be any more obvious that you have a crush on Brooks Laich?

Posted by: washingtoncapsblog | May 24, 2010 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

Could it be any more obvious that you have a crush on Brooks Laich?
*************
I was thinking the same thing :-)

Posted by: riceldi | May 24, 2010 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Can we have some more posts about Capitals players whining in meaningless games? That'll sure make me feel better about this season.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 24, 2010 2:04 PM | Report abuse

Shame on Brooks - looks like he trying to get world recognition by pulling something like that. Ovie is smiling thinking how he has 82 games next year to bond and win games so he was smart to step away. As for Brooks, he's definately a "wanna be" Ovechkin and there is only one. Ovie's a class act 100%. Good job Ovie for not retaliating, you so much better than him!

Posted by: jsaccone | May 24, 2010 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Give me a break. He didn't even hit him that hard. Looks like they caught each other at the right time to pull up on each other. The cheap shot was the canadian who hit Ovechkin from behind when he was trying to get up. Ovy's not gonna care two winks of sleep if somebody hits him. Hit him while he's down or trying to get up, yeah that'll piss him off.

Posted by: blanknerc | May 24, 2010 2:28 PM | Report abuse

So I'd say Varlamov should try to shake off that "unpleasant impression." He's got a few months. - Steinberger

Or, you could have refrained from this judgmental comment since you admitted you didn't see the game. I would not be surprised if in the heat of the game Laich did try to put some muscle on OV, and vice-versa. So, I'd say Steinberg should try to shake off the "unpleasant impression of Varlamov." He's got a few months...

In any case, I want to thank Steinberg for the video, it is a lot more than what that so called hockey beat reporter of the Washington Post has ever provided.

Posted by: hock1 | May 24, 2010 4:07 PM | Report abuse

I think Varley should worry about goaltending and winning games for the capitals and forget about what happens in the worlds..... this tourney does not pay his salary! The game is meant to be played hard... if he has a problem, I suggest they all play on the US hockey team and there wont be an issue :) (I know it can't happen but I thought I would say it).

Posted by: rvanags | May 24, 2010 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Varly should get mad at the "stupid" first period goals that he let the Canadians score on him in game 5, 6 and 7 than trying to get mad a teammate. Looking at the Phillies walk all over the Canadians just infuriates me more than seeing two "ousted" playoff players letting off "steam"! Put up or shut up, Varly! If you want to see how a goalie position should be played, look at Leighton from Philadelphia, 3 shut outs in 4 games!

Posted by: JohnWWW | May 24, 2010 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: pkme | May 24, 2010 6:29 PM | Report abuse

These guys are lucky that there employer allows this nonsense, period.

Posted by: Hattrik | May 24, 2010 7:33 PM | Report abuse

I wish laich would have hit that hard against the Habs. Oh well, thanks Caps for another short spring.

Posted by: TheSmurfs | May 24, 2010 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Well...Ovie is a great player..but as captain of the team with the best regular season record..they fell flat on their faces in the playoffs...so he was their leader...HMMMMM.

Winning in the regular season just means you get to the playoffs..THAT`S ALL!!

Posted by: blazerguy234 | May 25, 2010 7:10 AM | Report abuse

Two quick things...

1. It wasn't the Laich hit that started the fight. Another Canadian (Downie, maybe?) cross-checked Ovie when he was trying to get up after the Laich hit. THAT started the fight. As the previous comments point out, doesn't seem to be much animosity between the two. Not sure what Varly is on about...

2. MORE IMPORTANTLY... If ANY of these DONKEYS had given that kind of effort against the Canadians, there's a good chance NONE of them would be playing in these ridiculous games. All of the other Eastern conference series broke their way. They should be more ashamed of their performance against the Canadians every day. It was all there for the taking & they blew it!!!

Posted by: clb_in_md | May 25, 2010 7:35 AM | Report abuse

@blazerguy--so Ovi hasn't even been Captain for a full season and you're gonna question his being able to lead this team in the future? Because Yzerman or Listrom always won once they became captain and never had playoff failures. Right.

Posted by: dfe1 | May 25, 2010 7:41 AM | Report abuse

In case you haven't noticed, the so called hockey beat reporter for the Washington Post has been covering the Stanley Cup playoffs. Slightly more important than a meaningless hit in the NIT of the hockey world.

Posted by: benz9 | May 25, 2010 7:56 AM | Report abuse

It's hockey and these hits happen. There's a 99% chance it was quickly forgotten about once the game was over or at least it will have been forgotten by day 1 of training camp.

Posted by: jcurrin | May 25, 2010 8:02 AM | Report abuse

Coach B should have a serious chat with Mr Laich. You don't cheap-shot an NHL teammate. I know it's a rough game but the Canadians need to understand they don't "own" the game any more. It is an international game and they will set themselves up a "targets" in international play if they are not careful.

Posted by: pjohn2 | May 25, 2010 9:52 AM | Report abuse

No one cares what happens in the "NIT" tournament

Posted by: lylewimbledon | May 25, 2010 9:56 AM | Report abuse

Who cares?

Clearly Ovie didn't.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 25, 2010 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Can Ovechkin win the Big Game?

2009/2010:

1. Shocking Loss in Olympics
2. Shocking Round 1 loss in NHL playoffs
3. Loss to less talented Czech Team at World Championships.

Posted by: leopard09 | May 25, 2010 12:33 PM | Report abuse

@PKME-I have never been a fan of Varly. They should have left Theo in for the duration. Anybody know of a Russian goaltender who has won the cup.

Nikolai Khabibulin

Posted by: skinsfan87 | May 25, 2010 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: benz9 | May 25, 2010 7:56 AM

Great. For what newspaper? Or under what name? pseudonym? alias? anything that can help me change my mind ...

Posted by: hock1 | May 25, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

The hit in this video looked like an open ice hit, not even as forceful as Ovi's on Jagr in Vancouver. And from what I've seen of Laich, I think it would be seriously out of character for him to cheap shot ANYBODY.

My take is that Varly was speaking out of turn, but anyone can make a mistake once. At this point, I think we should table it and move on.

Posted by: miseaujeu | May 25, 2010 7:30 PM | Report abuse