Caps fan makes a stand at Machu Picchu

(Courtesy Tom Foye)

Usually when I go on vacations to international landmarks, I leave my D.C. sports memorabilia at home. Luckily, not everyone shares my habits, because that image is above is awesome. I'll let its star, Tom Foye, explain, via e-mail:

I brought my Caps flag with me to Peru. I was posing for this photo with it at Machu Picchu (during what turned out to be Game 2 of the playoffs) when I was swarmed by security. Apparently they thought it was a political flag and wanted to confiscate it.

My tour guide explained it was an ice hockey flag, but the guards didn't know what ice hockey was. So my guide told them it was for my football (soccer) team back home, and they let me go with a warning. Oops.

Hiking along the Inca Trail meant no access to TV, internet or even newspapers. So it was brutal not knowing what was going on for Games 1 and 2. Slightly more brutal was coming home and watching games 5 and 7 in person.

Left unanswered: whether he found more sympathy from the Machu Picchu security, or from the typical CSC security fella.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 27, 2010; 2:36 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: D.C.'s top current sports broadcasters
Next: Dmitri Young's team gets its bus stolen

Comments

This pic wouldve been 10x better if he had a Washington Mystics Attendance Champion banner instead.

Posted by: DannyNoonan1 | May 27, 2010 3:29 PM | Report abuse

lol ^^^

Posted by: blindskateluke | May 27, 2010 3:31 PM | Report abuse

but on the machu picchu web site it says banners are acceptable so long as they dont obstruct other tourist views and dont contain "derorgatory of inflamatory mentions of inca's". perhaps they need karl swanson to do their pr.

in a related sorry, a dear sweet grandma was tossed off machu picchu for not paying her entrace fee in full.

Posted by: dcsportsfan1 | May 27, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

This is awesome, the caps message is growing.

Posted by: Dlewis10 | May 27, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

:^) luvit!- u go dude!

Posted by: Hattrik | May 27, 2010 9:19 PM | Report abuse

1. if he was a real caps fan, he wouldn't be missing playoff games.

2. he definitely jynxed us...he missed games 1-4. in those games, our record was 3-1. and which games did he watch? 5, 6, and 7. how many of those games did we win? 0-3.

Posted by: RussianMachineNeverBreaks | May 27, 2010 11:29 PM | Report abuse

Love the photo - wonder if he jinxed the team - his loyalty to the Caps is not questioned if he hiked the Inca trail with the banner - Peru, Machu Picchu and the Inca trail was one of my best vactions ever! My trail guide wanted a Yankees lid (Gave him my Peace Corps hat instead) next trip I will bring Caps hats to give to the Guides, Sherpa's and Grandma. GO CAPS

Posted by: Slammo | May 28, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Great, now the Caps have an Incan curse on them.

Posted by: mlewis222 | May 28, 2010 9:57 AM | Report abuse