Colt Brennan is still confident

Only one of these men is still with the Redskins. (By John McDonnell - TWP)

If there's one truth for anyone who writes about the Redskins, it is this: every so often -- maybe every couple weeks, or maybe every couple days, or maybe every couple hours -- you'll get an e-mail asking about Colt Brennan's future with the organization. It's remarkable. Without a doubt, I get more e-mails about Brennan than any other single player, and I know some colleagues have said the same. This for a man who has never thrown an NFL regular-season pass.

Thus, a Brennan appearance with LaVar and Dukes is virtually a mandatory blog post, especially since he addressed the personality knock that's been increasingly bandied about lately: that he's too cocky. I can tell you for sure that Brennan has read the blog posts -- media members are "trying sometimes to discredit why I get a lot of support," he said -- and he knows that the criticism is out there.

"I'm very confident," Brennan told Arrington. "People say I'm a cocky, arrogant guy. I'm not. I'm not. I'm just not gonna let anyone convince me that I can't be a great quarterback in this league someday."

A few minutes later, Chad Dukes asked Brennan if he gets frustrated when he sees the chances given to someone like JaMarcus Russell.

"I mean, it's frustrating because when you get drafted high like that, you also get opportunities," Brennan said. "You get financial [rewards], but you also get an opportunity. And one thing is, when you get drafted late, you just have to work for that opportunity. That's the way it is in this league. You don't get the reps, you don't get the experience, you just have to really wait for your opportunity. That guy was given a great opportunity, and you wish you would have seen him do a lot more with it. So it is frustrating, and that's just something I keep hoping and waiting for, for that opportunity to come my way and for somebody really to buy in and say let's give this kid a chance."

Of course, that isn't happening this season, not with Donovan McNabb in town. Brennan spent some time training with McNabb in Arizona during the offseason, and had no illusions about what he's competing for this spring and summer.

"Right now everybody kind of knows who the starter is for our team this year, and that's obvious," he said. "I'd like to think that down the road someday, as I develop as a quarterback, that I could be a great quarterback in this league and a starter down the road, absolutely. It's not about me being a starter right now. I've got a great opportunity to show this coaching staff what the future could be."

After four surgeries in two years, Brennan said he's healthy now. He said he likely has a better rapport with Kyle Shanahan than he did with Jim Zorn, because of their similar ages. Shanahan told Brennan that he loves his throwing motion and doesn't want him to change a thing, and that he needs to concentrate on his decision-making. And he said again how much he enjoys the bizarre Cult of Colt status that he's maintained for two years in this town.

"I'm really grateful for the way the Redskins nation has been toward me, and that didn't change last year when I had some adversity," he said. "I mean, obviously the media turned on me real fast, but that's part of the job, that just happens. And Chase [Daniel] had a great preseason, we can't take anything away from Chase, but he's also got a Super Bowl ring right now. It's funny how life works itself out....

"Like I said, there's one thing that's never wavered. Redskins fans out there, through the thick and thin, they're always there, and that's something I've got to experience. They've been there for me through the thick and thin and it's really humbling, it's really exciting. And one thing I just want to do now is not only pay back the franchise that's been great to me these last two years but pay back the fans. And right now as a backup but hopefully down the road someday potentially as a starter, and that's just what I'm working for."

Feel free to continue sending me the Colt e-mails, though. It's always a highlight of my week.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 3, 2010; 11:56 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wilbon takes another shot at Ovechkin
Next: Marko Mitchell: "Everything is business"

Comments

He was great in Hawaii, but playing Boise State in a big game is a large difference from playing at Cowboy's Stad. on a Mon. night. Still, it WOULD be interesting to see if he had anything. Hope he gets half the chances given to J.C. and J.R.

Posted by: Corvis777 | May 3, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I thought the highlight was the increasingly desperate pleas to attend a herding trial.

Posted by: Colm1 | May 3, 2010 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Given McNabb's injury history, the camp battle for the backup QB job might be a battle for at least a start or two this season.

Then we can see if the Cult of Colt has been right all along!

Posted by: jamesweise | May 3, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

Why did I think the Redskins released him last year?

Posted by: VTDuffman | May 3, 2010 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jamesweise | May 3, 2010 12:27 PM
==========================================
I agree Colt needs to learn the offence, take the coaches advice, and when the time comes make plays, and show good decision making abilities. Outside of don't turn the ball over and taking control of the huddle what is there left for a QB to do. If he does these things 75% of the time he'll get a shot to be the backup cause that is a real battle like you said for 1 to 3 starts if Donovan goes down. Rex right now is no better than Colt except for knowing the offence a little better. His decisions as a starting QB in Chicago were the same as Colt's as a rookie in preseason games.

Posted by: Hackersk | May 3, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Well, if DC fans and the media want an "Ah Shucks" kind of QB, the kind who easily loses confidence in themselves, then Brennan is a bad fit.

Throwing a football accurately is similar to shooting a basketball well. It more often than not takes time to develop a rhythm.

Mike and Kyle Shannahan I'm sure will give Brennan a real chance this upcoming pre-season to reveal a glimpse of the future, and yes, it will be good.

Posted by: RobbyES | May 3, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

The Redskins did not release him... he hurt his hip in the Pittsburgh game pre-season and needed surgery (Similar injury on the other hip from his senior year at Hawaii) Instead of releasing him (they would have had to pay out an injury settlement to him) they put him on the IR, ending his season. He was never cut last year.

Posted by: rvanags | May 3, 2010 4:26 PM | Report abuse

Brennan is a Brett Favre in the making easily. He's simply an on-the-field confidence machine, with a powerful arm and a good head. Any sensible team would put him in right now.

But then again, he's with the Redskins, the team that hires has-beens from our rivals like McNabb then tries to sell us on the idea that he's somethng more than just another loser with a big salary. The team that endlessly adds journeymen left and right (Joey Galloway?? Really??) with no loyalty anywhere to try to build a playoff team is doomed from day one.

We'll see Brennan behind center someday if and only if we see a huge leap in IQ within the Redskin brain trust of Snyder and Shanahan. Maybe they'll all start taking massive doses of Ginko Biloba or something and finally see what a joke the McNabb trade was. Until then, Brennan will have to watch the Washington Redskins Mediocrity Review of 2010 like all us other long-suffering Redskins fans and just pray that somebody at Redskins Park wakes up.

DWS

Posted by: dstafford2 | May 3, 2010 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Anyone who expected Colt to start in his first few years was kidding themselves.

He was too skinny and it showed when he got beat around by Georgia

He also needed to learn a non-spread offense which takes awhile

He also needed to change his throwing technique which can also take time

Posted by: Bious | May 3, 2010 7:22 PM | Report abuse

He also needed to change his throwing technique which can also take time
Posted by: Bious
_____
Well "Kyle Shanahan told Brennan that he loves his throwing motion and doesn't want him to change a thing" so i guess it's who u ask but since Kyle is Offensive Coord I'll listen to him. I to believe the McNabb trade was a mistake.. guy is on the downside of his career, can only give us maybe 2 more good years and that's IF he stay's heathly. The fact the Eagles traded him to us should have been a hint and a half. And especially since Clausen fell to the 2nd round and we could of drafted him and Williams at LT makes the McNabb trade even worse. Right now only way I see this working in the long run is IF Colt becomes the franchise QB the Skins have needed for so long.

Posted by: sovine08 | May 4, 2010 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Based on Colt Brennan's Hawaii performances, I'd be surprised if his Redskin teammates consider him inappropriately cocky.

His Hawaii teammates are of record saying how Colt Brennan had the right mix of game confidence and personal humility.

For example, so he could give secret line signals to his predominantly Polynesian o-linemen and so he could personally understand them better, Colt Brennan took and aced Samoan language classes at the University of Hawaii.

TaloFAAAA Colt!