Cooley is tired of Haynesworth talk

The NFL has done this thing where, with draft previews and the draft and draft postscripts and voluntary mini-camps and mandatory mini-camps marshmallow sleepover camps side-squat turbo-boost fun time camps and OTAs and UTIs and whatever else, there's no offseason.

This is great for the media, because people love reading about the NFL. But this is also completely horrific for the media, because at some point, there are only so many storylines to pursue. Thus, something like the Albert Haynesworth situation is more alluring than a backpack full of Big League Chew; the flavor on that thing can last for months. The Redskins Insider archive shows 21 Albert Haynesworth items over the past 40 days. I fully support this development, and we write about it because people are interested. But I guess some people are getting sick of it, since all Haynesworth has technically done thus far is skip some voluntary workouts.

"He doesn't have to be here," Chris Cooley said, during an appearance on DC101's Elliot in the Morning. "And when the season starts, if he shows up and he's playing, no one's gonna give a damn what he did [in May]. Obviously he's gonna have to play for us. I mean, there's no way around it.

"Nowadays in football, you make this huge deal about offseason workouts," Cooley continued. "I mean, I'm sure he's working. He's been a pro for a long time, he knows what it takes. It's not the choice I would make. I mean, I'm here. In my case, I feel like this is what's best for me to play football next year, especially being hurt and coming back, this is what's best for me.

"Now in his case, maybe he hates it. Maybe he doesn't want to be around Redskins Park all year. Maybe him being away is what he needs right now so he can come back and be ready to play. I mean, everyone has something different. Again, it's not my choice, but it's whatever. I'm so tired of hearing about it, because he's still not doing anything wrong."

Well, that's a very mature attitude, sir. I still plan on asking every sentient body I ever see in Eastern Loudoun County about it.

More Cooley.

On Donovan McNabb: When Cooley took over Jason Campbell's golf tournament, he asked McNabb to make a guest appearance, and the new QB was the last person to leave.

"We stayed and talked," Cooley said. "And he said we've got to figure out something where we can get the team together, every week or every couple weeks, sit down, maybe have a beer, just get everyone out of football where they can just hang. I'm like, 'You know, you're right.' But he's really serious about it. He'll make it happen."

On the three running backs: Elliot said it seemed weird to have that many names at one position. Cooley agreed.

"I think it's weird, too," he said. "I mean, I guess there's nothing weird about having three awesome backs, and all three of them are working so hard. I mean, all three guys are seriously competing for that job, so I guess you go into the year with three backs. I don't really understand, but there's nothing wrong with having awesome players up and down your roster. They all get along. They all like each other, a lot. If we're having a break or something, it's always the three of them sitting there, together, talking."

On the Shanahans: Extensive, effusive praise.

"Their whole deal is they want to be perfect, they want to be anal about everything, which is cool," Cooley said. "I think it's great. I've been so impressed with the way he's run the team up until now. I love our staff. I think his son Kyle is fantastic as far as an offensive coordinator. I mean, he just knows his stuff. And that's the same as Mike, he just knows how to run a team. I'm not talking about anyone else, but mike, he's not guessing on what he's doing. I mean, he knows what's going on, he knows how to handle a group of guys."

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 10, 2010; 4:48 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Nats and Shoe Shine Sunday
Next: SI says Crosby is "Alone at the Top"

Comments

I am looking forward to hopefully seeing this 3 RB competition unfold throughout the year.

Have there been any other notable, successful schemes in recent memory?

Posted by: Corvis777 | May 10, 2010 5:24 PM | Report abuse

Thank god cooley said it. Enough about AH!

Posted by: DG28 | May 10, 2010 5:47 PM | Report abuse

Yes! I agree with Cooley. The AH story will play itself out. Let it happen and quit talking about it until he doesn't show up for mandatory practice or he shows up do play. I hate when Reid tries to make a story out of nothing!

Posted by: kmfuss | May 10, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

These comments make me happy.

Posted by: tgerbracht | May 10, 2010 6:16 PM | Report abuse

whoa

"Their whole deal is they want to be perfect, they want to be anal about everything, which is cool," Cooley said."

Posted by: nativedc | May 10, 2010 7:09 PM | Report abuse

Let's hear it for Cooley, the voice of reason. No more AH talk until there is some actual news. Looking forward to the June mini-camp and Training Camp when all this will get sorted out.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | May 10, 2010 7:55 PM | Report abuse

Don't Complain People!!
Either WaPost loves Big ALbert or Big Albert paid chunk of money WaPost to write about him. hahaha

Posted by: skinsMill | May 10, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Amen Cooley. Sean Taylor skipped the voluntary stuff, didn't return Joe Gibbs calls, and I seem to recall he played pretty well during the season. The Washington Post blows every possible criticism of the Redskins way out of proportion. It's not a big deal at all. Haynesworth will be here next season and play like one of the best defensive players in the NFL.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 10, 2010 9:02 PM | Report abuse

I get it.

If you were asked the same question 100 a day, wouldn't you get quite annoyed?

Posted by: Bious | May 10, 2010 9:24 PM | Report abuse

Haha, awesome quotes by Cooley, as always. Maybe Jason Reid will finally stop writing whiny blurbs about Haynesworth now.

Posted by: cali_snowboarder | May 11, 2010 1:09 AM | Report abuse

ewwwwww, can't WAIT to hear what Big Al has to say about Cooley talkin all this smack on him behind his back!

I mean, maybe not a quoted response, but at least somebody can now come up with some speculative retort... like what Haynesworth MIGHT say, if he were taking phone calls.

Man, this is gonna be GOOD!

Posted by: Thinker_ | May 11, 2010 1:20 AM | Report abuse

ESPN reported today that the team has not yet contacted Haynesworth with respect to the presumed change in his role.

I wonder whether he had been hoping that growing resistance would end the irrational prioritization of changing to a 3-4, and is surprised only now, by virtue of the overwhelming focus on irrelevant connections between salary and attendance at voluntary workouts, to find himself the lone voice of reason.

So dominant a football player, one who we've seen return to a lost cause, late-season game after being carted off the field, sitting out four games with seemingly legit reasons and playing GREAT the other 12, for a lame-duck staff, as the ownership still struggles to emerge from its lame start, doing his job among the highest profile of those taking part in embarrassing debacle after embarrassing debacle as evidenced by the huge increase over previous year sack totals and opponent yard-per-rush averages of 2.9 in games with him and 4.0 without, all while the team D remained top 10 and the old, injured, long-ignored and so patchwork O-line was clearly and by far the team's biggest concern.

New GM, new Head Coach with his nearly all new coaching staff, new starting and reserve QB's, overhauled RB's, released captains and locker room stalwarts, a #4 pick of equal potential beast and head case, Carlos Rogers still can't catch, among other things, and you change a D-line that saw 22 sacks from Andre Carter & Brian Orakpo, to be led again by the now-Pro Bowler London Fletcher, bolstered by several past and future ones and, though imperfect, surely deep and solid throughout?

The past few days have likely mystified but made apparent to Al, I bet, that it's time to give up the ghost and come on in.

Posted by: dcfanoutwest | May 11, 2010 3:27 AM | Report abuse

The media needs to learn that the Haynesworth story is dead until training camp begins. Nobody cares.

Posted by: GoonieGooGoo | May 11, 2010 5:15 AM | Report abuse

I love Cooley, but yes, AH has done something wrong. Sure he doesnt 'have' to be here. But he said he does not want to play his position in the new 3-4 Defense, and he will not show up early to learn it.

We won 4 games last season, and got a serious coach to install a new system to turn it around. But AH doesnt approve and wont dedicate himself with the rest of the team. That's poison to the chemistry of the team.

Cooley drew the line on where he wants to be honest. He knows this is true, but wont say it. Whatever.

Posted by: Gibbs4Pres | May 11, 2010 5:50 AM | Report abuse

Chris Cooley is just expressing what many of us feel. The fact that he is within the organization only serves to show that some just want the "Fat Albert" stuff laid to "rest"... Surly AH needs a "rest" after ALL the conditioning he's done this off season. OK, that was a jab, so shoot me... Not everyone within the community and on the Redskins are going to feel exactly the same way about the "Fat Albert" situation.

What can you really expect for $100 million bucks...?

Bob Schnebly
www.bobschnebly.com

Posted by: StarLyrara | May 11, 2010 7:08 AM | Report abuse

How many rings does Cooley have? He was productive early on in his career. But he falls into the same category as alot of Redskins, including D Hall and Portis. All talk, no wins. He has had more than his share of dropped balls and fumbles over the last couple of years. He and his brother are all about money. Unfortunately the whole world is about money. $nyder and his money got this team where it's at now.

BOYCOTT $NYDER-COOLEYS NEEDS TO SHUT THE TRAP AND HOLD ONTO THE BALL!!

Posted by: hessone | May 11, 2010 7:31 AM | Report abuse

@Hessone

You only continue to undercut your own argument. The fact that Riggins was a great Redskin after holding out for a season and being far more problematic than Haynesworth only serves to make my point: it would be a mistake to lose patience so soon, and AH could still make great contributions to the team.

Why don't you go read what Chris Cooley had to say about the Haynesworth situation today. Missing voluntary mini-camps is no big deal. This is just the Post trying to get web hits.

Posted by: CommieX

I read what Cooley said and he is all mouth just like the rest of the team. For once I'd like to hear these guy's talk about football and not be defensive or give us their expert opinion on life and the media. And while we're at it, all the folks belly-aching, if you don't like what is writen in these columns, than move on. No one is holding a gun to your head and making you read this stuff. Riggins is still king in these parts and if you want to back a player that is me first, that's your option. Me, I'd cut his fat no count fat butt today.

Posted by: hessone | May 11, 2010 7:43 AM | Report abuse

SINCE ALMOST ALL PLAYERS ATTEND VOLUNTARY MINI-CAMPS ANYWAY, WHY NOT NEGOTIATE THE CAMPS BEING MANDATORY(WITH THE UNION) AS PART OF THE NEXT CONTRACT. IT WOULD BENEFIT ALL TEAMS, BY NOT HAVING ONE OR TWO GUYS CREATE SUCH DISRUPTION AS FAT ALBERT HAS. AROUND THE NFL..THIS HAS HAPPENED TO OTHER TEAMS. THESE GUYS ARE GETTING PAID MILLIONS OF DOLLARS..ATTENDING A COUPLE OF MINI-CAMPS DOES NOT SEEM A LOT TO ASK.

COOLY SHOULD KNOW HE HAS TAKEN A WRONG STANCE. THE MINI-CAMPS ARE ABOUT LEARNING A
NEW SYSTEM, AND NEW COACHES...NOT JUST ABOUT GETTING IN SHAPE.

ANYWAY IF AH DOES NOT COME TO CAMP LOOKING LEAN AND MEAN..HE WILL BE RAKED OVER THE COALS IN THIS TOWN..ON A DAILY BASIS.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | May 11, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

CommieX

Here's my point:

Riggo - Super Bowl Ring + Super Bowl MVP

Stompworth - No Super Bowl Ring + No Super Bowl MVP

There's 45 Super Bowl MVP'S in league history.

I make the case that Riggo is a winner and Stompworth is a fat, lazy, overpaid, immature loser.

I make no case for you, as your point is hypothetical. Fact is fact.

Posted by: hessone | May 11, 2010 8:28 AM | Report abuse

It's voluntary so hainesworth doesn't have to be here. It's also May so it's not a big deal (*). When Sean Taylor didn't show, we felt comfortable about his conditioning because he always appeared physically fit and more athletic than almost anybody on the field. He also talked to Greg Williams even though he wasn't talking to Gibbs. I'm not confident that A.H. is gonna come in bussin chops looking fit and ready to rock-n-roll as I was in S.T. I think what should be most concerning is whether or not the rumors are true that he doesn't want to play for the team that just broke him off $34 mil...I don't care if we ran a 2-5 defense, if u were paid to play football...PLAY! earn your money!!!

Posted by: jwmartin_72 | May 11, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

If Shannahan can teach Cooley how to block and not be an idiot then he may be a great coach?

Posted by: sbf845 | May 11, 2010 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Cooley is a true Redskin, and a great player, but I disagree with the comments that AH has done nothing wrong, Shanahan expects all players to be at these mini camps for good reason, new coach, new coordinator, huh new QB, oh and a new system!

This team was 4-12 last year and needs every minute they can get together. Last year AH trained with his guys, but after having a lack luster year he blamed the Redskins training program or lack there of. The guy who makes more than anyone on the team is the only guy not showing up for these mini camps!

This is terrible morale for this team, Shanahan has made it clear who's in charge, something that has been missing from the locker room for way to long, and his actions undermine that.

I know it gets old reading about it, but AH needs to be sick of hearing about also. He should be embarrassed to say he wants to be the best at what he does, when his actions aren't what's best for his team! and with the money he was paid, the team should come first.

Posted by: DDunnuck | May 11, 2010 12:03 PM | Report abuse

hessone

I love it when no talent slobs on web blogs think they can tell a professional athlete what he is or isnt? If you and coley put on the pads and get into a pit which one of you will get knocked out? Better yet, would you even give a shiiit about what coley thought of you regarding your performance at your job? Let him do his job and you do yours. You dont see him coming down to your job, kicking pricks out of your mouth.

Posted by: ged0386 | May 11, 2010 2:37 PM | Report abuse

I think their is too much flak about AH. Because the skins get soo much coverage that we have reporters trying to come up with stuff on a daily basis to report. If the worse think we can say about him is he did not come to voluntary workouts then after a month of articles and rants on blogs I think we can move on. JR should not be required by the post to come up with a daily report. He ends up reporting the same story over and over.

Posted by: ged0386 | May 11, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I've only got one word for all you Cooley haters. Please. As in, please get real. Cooley's played six seasons. He's been to the Pro Bowl twice. So far, he's averaging 57 receptions, 631 yards, and 5 TDs a year. Kellen Winslow, (the Hall of Famer, not Jr.) averaged 60 receptions, 738 yards, and 5 TDs a year for his career. I'm not saying Cooley should go to Canton, or even that he's as good as Jason Witten or Antonio Gates, but he is a very good TE. As for his numbers being down the last two seasons, who did look good in Zorn's offense?

WaPo has to sell papers and get Web site hits. They need to get people emotionally fired up about something, so they pick on Haynesworth. Seems to me the real story is that all but one player on the roster participated in last week's voluntary minicamp. Given that this team had more cancers on it last year than a four pack a day smoker, I'd say Shanny was doing something right.

Posted by: Charles_Day@comcast.net | May 11, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Cooley gets it!!

Posted by: MHEDRLT | May 11, 2010 8:19 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: hessone

Cosigned. I'm sick of Cooley's brother (isn't he in med school already?); I'm sick of the #47 pottery; and don't like the way he's thrown players under the bus. In many instances he's just been a polished version of Portis. And don't get me started on the legion of man crush he stokes. Chris, stack a trophy in the case, and you can run it all day long.

charles day -
Hope those stats kept you warm and cozy when Cooley dropped all those on-the-numbers balls. Look, the NFL is all about What Have You Done For Me Lately. Gibbs took us to 4 Super Bowls within a decade. I could rattle off his legacy all year long. He still got booed. Hard. So in comparison, who's Chris Cooley?

That said, I don't think it's a hate on Cooley so much as it is fan fustration that could give a rat's assss who's right or wrong. We just want MORE results; LESS yapping.

Posted by: Keliza64 | May 12, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

@ged0386

Breath in the good, breath out the bad.

Posted by: hessone | May 12, 2010 3:40 PM | Report abuse

@ Keliza64

Thanks for the common sense post. I don't hate Cooley. I think he's a fan favorite, but to me he is overrated. Good, but not what most fans rate him.

BOYCOTT $NYDER-COOLEY FUMBLES THE BALL

Posted by: hessone | May 12, 2010 3:53 PM | Report abuse

The Giants had thunder (Jacobs) and lightning (Barber). The Jaguars had Fred and Maurice. The Cowboys have Thomas, Felix and Choice.

Having Portis, Johnson, Parker, (and hopefully) Westbrook, would be thunder, lightning, tornado, and sunami. albeit old version of these elements.

4 past-their-prime running backs where no one has to carry the load means they all keep fresh legs throughout the season.

not a bad way to go especially since johnson, parker, (and hopefully) westbrook don't cost much.

Posted by: ProfessorWrightBSU | May 12, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

cooley is such a suck up

dropping all those passes when they count

he's lobbying....... for his job

and albert is a baby and when you see what he contributed for the year, it wasn't much ...... well try to trade him, no one wants him

maybe cooley and albert, bet u would get not much

Posted by: agra09 | May 12, 2010 4:45 PM | Report abuse

cooley is such a suck up

dropping all those passes when they count

he's lobbying....... for his job

maybe cooley and albert, bet u would get not much

Posted by: agra09 | May 12, 2010 4:46 PM | Report abuse

cooley is such a suck up... lobbying for his job

haynesworth is a baby... oh my ankle hurts

try to trade haynesworth and cooley .... few takers if any

unload the baggage mike .... yes i think u will

Posted by: agra09 | May 12, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

@ged0386

Did you calm down yet dude?

Posted by: hessone | May 12, 2010 5:37 PM | Report abuse

As a Ravens season ticket holder I am please to see the Redskins return to prominence. Competition breeds excellence and this DC/Balti area needs something to cheer about. The downside of a great Redskins team is the re-emergence of the obnoxious, annoying Redskins fans. I am not looking forward to hearing and reading their "bandwagon" antics.

Posted by: BaysoxFan39 | May 14, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

I am a straight father of four, my wife is my best friend (and the sexiest woman I will ever lay eyes on) and I have Man-Love for Cooley.

Posted by: fm7319 | May 14, 2010 7:31 PM | Report abuse