D.C. is only 7th most miserable sports city

Amid the debates of whether this was the worst year in D.C. sports history, it's easy to forget that other cities have it worse. Far, far worse.

Forbes this week published a list of the 10 most miserable sports cities in Ameirca, and D.C. came in at an only moderately miserable seventh.

And when you look at things over decades instead of months, it's hard to argue with that placement. The top five city on the list -- Seattle, Atlanta, Phoenix, Buffalo and San Diego -- have played a total of 522 major league seasons, and have just six titles to show for it. D.C. is given credit for 225 major league seasons, and seven titles.

The sixth most miserable city, Cleveland, has gone 46 years since a title. Washington's had among the longest wait of four-sport cities (excluding D.C. United), but it's only been 19 years.

Plus, these lists never include college stuff, but College Park is awfully close to the D.C. line, and a national championship in the past decade doesn't hurt on the non-misery scale.

So cheer up. It's not really as bad as you think. Unless you were born within the past four years. Then you can cry. Offer does not extend to my daughter's bedroom.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 13, 2010; 4:41 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Redskins , Terps , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Montreal win is salve for Caps fans
Next: Dibble's strike zone, and other images

Comments

"(Speaking of, as Patrick Stevens noted on Wednesday, the Terps also had the seventh-best basketball attendance in Division I this season, with the highest attendance of any Division I school in a major metro area.)"

Tell this to Prisbell, who as recently as 2 seasons ago was stunningly claiming the Terps basketball team had real attendance problems (even though they were constantly selling out).

Posted by: Barno1 | May 13, 2010 5:22 PM | Report abuse

so basically, we can't even win at sucking

Posted by: jrogers2 | May 13, 2010 5:27 PM | Report abuse

we should be ahead of San Diego.. I mean their football team has been to AFC championships and have had 10 win plus seasons consistently for the past like 5-6 years.. our football team wins like 7 games on average and finishes at the basement of the division the past 19 years.

Posted by: imfromdc88 | May 13, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

When does Maryland put up the attendance banner?

Posted by: zimbar | May 13, 2010 9:12 PM | Report abuse

we should be ahead of San Diego..

Posted by: imfromdc88 | May 13, 2010 6:00 PM

As a native San Diegan, I have to disagree. Besides the little-known San Diego indoor soccer team, we have nothing in the way of championships since the one AFL title in the 60's. And I think championships are what it's all about. I'll gladly trade you ANYTHING for those Super Bowl trophies.

Posted by: Reader_Glenn | May 13, 2010 10:35 PM | Report abuse

Well San Diego has way better weather.

Posted by: tylerdurden1 | May 14, 2010 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SadieV | May 14, 2010 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SadieV | May 14, 2010 9:23 AM

OK, that settles it!

Posted by: Kev29 | May 14, 2010 9:53 AM | Report abuse

"I was born and raised here and couldn't care less about the Terps. They don't count."

I think alot of people would agree with you. Unless you went to the school or knew someone who did there really is no connection to the average DC fan. This is by no means a flame -- they should be proud of their accomplishments and I am glad a local team has done some good things, but, to me at least, there is no real connection to a college team that fits into somewhat of a niche (i.e. fans of the school not the city).

Posted by: TheOtherGuyInSection117 | May 14, 2010 10:01 AM | Report abuse

I find the terps winning titles makes less happy.

Posted by: FlyersSuck | May 14, 2010 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Indices like these pretty much miss the point, I think: every miserable sports city is miserable in its own way.

Posted by: JefComment | May 14, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

We even suck at sucking.

Posted by: DKSW | May 14, 2010 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I agree with SadieV. But then again, I can't stand the Redskins because of Snyder and at this point actively root against them. I don't much care for the overpaid babies that populate the NBA which to me as a whole is an atrocious product of no-effort prima donnas who deplore the concept of team. So I guess out of our two major sports, I really only like the Caps and Nats. And I still have a bone to pick with the Nats for making the stadium face a parking lot instead, of, say, the Capitol dome. But when I did care for these teams, the Terps got no play in my fairfax county home.

Posted by: dcmusician2 | May 14, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse