DeAngelo Hall on the playoffs (and the Nats)

(By Cheryl Nichols - Nats News Network)

DeAngelo Hall, if you haven't noticed, is like a wind-up machine of bullish-on-the-future quotes. Give him a little push from behind, and he's talking playoffs. Some fans find this disconcerting, but in May, when September seems like several lifetimes away, I say more power to him.

A couple weeks ago, at that draft day party, DeAngelo Hall got a mic and told several thousand Redskins fans to expect 11 or 12 wins. Last week, he was on the giant video board at Nats Park, and he said the same thing.

"I stand behind the statement I made, I feel like we're gonna go out there and win 11, 12 games," Hall told Clint, another man who doesn't lack for self-confidence. "Mike Shanahan out there coaching us up, and Donovan McNabb, he's a proven winner, so I'm good, I'm happy....

"Last year was so disappointing. This year it's all about getting our team to the playoffs. Once you get in there, anything could happen."

Hall was at Nats Park to throw out the first pitch; he was there with Carlos Rogers and Wale, among others, and he visited before the game with former Atlanta friends Willie Harris and Chipper Jones. After the pitch, he told me that he's "a huge Zim fan" and a Nats fan in general.

"They're playing inspired right now," Hall said of the Nats. "I think the addition of Pudge, the attitude he brought, definitely got these guys' minds right."

The Nats are arguably the most pleasant surprise in MLB right now. So I had to to ask whether Hall's Redskins were primed to be a similar surprise.

"Hey, you heard what I said, I don't think it's gonna be a surprise," he said. "Not to us. Maybe to the world, but not to us. Not to our coaching staff, not to the guys we've got in the building. They know the kind of stuff we've got, they know the kind of firepower we've got on our team."

So he'll be surprised if they don't make the playoffs then?

"I'll be shocked like [expletive] if we don't," he said.

(Photo by Cheryl Nichols - Nationals News Network)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 10, 2010; 10:52 AM ET
Categories:  Nats , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Larry Johnson, the Skins and Bronko Nagurski
Next: The Nats and their attendance

Comments

I'd be surprised if we score a TD vs Dallas... Or keep it close vs New York...

Posted by: Scoonie97 | May 10, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

If he was saying "oh man, do we suck" then I'd be worried.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 10, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

"coaching us up"?

Has D. Hall been hanging around Steve Spurrier lately?

Posted by: BT23 | May 10, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

Here we go again!

It's great to expect that the Skins will make the playoffs - just like we do EVERY year!!!!!

Posted by: charley42 | May 10, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

Skins make it to the playoffs on 10 wins....BOOK IT !!

Posted by: OG_Barno | May 10, 2010 2:29 PM | Report abuse

Ready, set, bzzzt.

Posted by: qball43 | May 10, 2010 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Maybe DHall should concentrate on less predictions and finally developing his football skills.... Double move Dangelo.... There was a reason he was let go by the Raiders, I guess Danny and The Skins didnt get the memo!

Posted by: rlomax67 | May 10, 2010 3:02 PM | Report abuse

for those who say Hall is susceptible to the double move your not entirely wrong. However, I would like to point out that when the D is on the field for a quarter of each game, due to lack of fire on our O, everyone was beaten. I think that with this new regime, and BETTER coaches that we will be able to correct those mistakes. Haslett and Shanahan won't stand idly by and watch our guys not do what they are supposed to do. For all of you that have never played football or are Madden Heads, you go out there and try to play to the best of your ability when your not able to get off the field. Im hoping that Hall is right, it would be a nice surprise. Anything is better than 4-12, and just by adding Shanny alone thats a better record right there.

Posted by: pstylee | May 10, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Can we please get this guy to shut up? Please.

Posted by: jpfterps | May 10, 2010 3:34 PM | Report abuse

SOMEBODY TELL HALL TO SHUT UP..AND ACTUALLY COVER RECEIVERS. AS LONG AS CORNERS SUCH AS HALL AND ROGERS ARE PLAYING OFF RECEIVERS 10 YARDS OR MORE..THE SKINS HAVE NO CHANCE TO FINISH ABOVE .500
OUR DEFENSE ACTUALLY GOT PRESSURE ON OFFENSES FROM TIME TO TIME..BUT EVERY TIME THE OPPONENTS NEEDED A BIG PLAY..A RECEIVER WOULD GIVE ONE OF THEM A DOUBLE MOVE.
I DON`T KNOW IF THESE CORNERS HAVE MAKE UP SPEED..BET DARYL GREEN COULD STILL DO A BETTER JOB THAN EITHER HALL OR ROGERS.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | May 10, 2010 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Does he ever come up for air. What a mouth. He can't back up a thing he says.

Posted by: hessone | May 10, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

If 5-11 makes the playoffs, then I agree with him. Wake up, Hall. This is DC sports. Nobody wins here. The Skins do have 5 titles in 75 years, but the rest of the teams have 2 in a combined 250 years of sports dating back to the 1880's. History does not lie.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | May 10, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

He reminds me of the old wrestler, Johnny Rodz, who made grandiose claims yet rarely won a match

Posted by: nativedc | May 10, 2010 7:14 PM | Report abuse

Great comments D. Hall.

If the players don't have confidence that they will make the playoffs, (it's obvious that a lot of fans on this blog DON'T), then who will.
If the players make these statements, then there's a possibility that they will attempt to play at a level that will get them to the playoffs.

Posted by: Hlynchmaster | May 10, 2010 7:39 PM | Report abuse

It almost seems like you people want players who only think they are going to win 6 games. At least the young man is enthusiastic and plays the game as if he enjoys it.

He was asked a question, he responded like he should have and you mfers are all over him.

Posted by: trousers | May 10, 2010 7:44 PM | Report abuse