Dexter Manley is on the bandwagon

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Three things you can expect when listening to a Dexter Manley interview:

1) He'll plug the living hell out of Certified Building Services.

2) He'll say something that makes you chuckle into your discarded sunflower seed shells.

3) He'll be a ruthless Redskins optimist.

I mean, last year he was "really, really optimistic" when the team was 2-4 and the town in revolt. The Skins went 2-8 down the stretch.

But it's a new day, and Dexter is optimistic again.

"I would advise all the season ticket holders, all the people who didn't get their tickets, get your tickets, because it's gonna be something," Manley said this week on ESPN 980's The Sports Fix. "A miracle is gonna happen this season for the Redskins of 2010. Believe I said it right here. It's gonna happen. I think they can win nine games-plus this year....

I think it's a new beginning and a new hope for this whole football fever around here in this Redskin Beltway and outside of the beltway. I mean, I think Dan Snyder done an outstanding job bringing in Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan, trickle on down, bringing in some fresh legs, some old legs, continuity, and they're gonna win. They're gonna win. I'm on the bandwagon."

Why? Well, aside from the fact that he's always optimistic, Dexter sees an improvement at quarterback. Get ready Jason Campbell, you're about to get trucked.

"[McNabb's] very smart and I understand he picks up the offense right away, opposed to our other quarterback who didn't, couldn't read a defense," Dexter said. "And I think McNabb can read a defense. And if they can't protect the quarterback, at least they have somebody who can get rid of the football and don't take a sack. I think that's what McNabb brings to the table."

Thus the inevitable question: Wait, Jason Campbell couldn't read a defense?

"Well, I think that Jason couldn't process the game fast enough," Dexter said. "He had all the mechanics, but he didn't process the game. He can't read the defense, he can't get the people lined up at the wideout, he can't get the running backs lined up right. It's too much for him to process. And then here come a guy in his face....It was just too much for him.

So now you're going to point out that I've yet to come through on my prediction that Manley would say something that made me laugh in my sunflower seeds. Here it is. The question was what he would say to the young linemen of today who want to be of Manley-quality.

"More importantly, youv've got to want it more so than you want anything in the world," he said. "More so than you want to go out there and chase the next girl. You know, a lot of these young guys, that's the only thing on their mind, they want to get laid."

Yes, this was said before the Haynesworth paternity suit came out. But still.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 27, 2010; 1:24 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Joe Gibbs's advice to Mike Shanahan
Next: D.C.'s top current sports broadcasters

Comments

One can't have lived through all the stuff Manley has and not be optimistic. God bless you Dexter!

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | May 27, 2010 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Manley is great.

Keep up the strong work Steinberg. Folks like myself, down in FL, appreciate the work you put in keeping us up to date on the happenings for all the D.C. area teams.

HAIL!

Posted by: saltine182 | May 27, 2010 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Manley is great.

HAIL!

Posted by: saltine182 |

I am also down in Fl. and I also appreciate the post. I was born and raised in DC and it helps that we get up to date information about all of our teams. Thanx!! I am so die hard that I do not watch football unless the Redskins are playing or someone in the NFC Beast!!

Posted by: sirmixx01 | May 27, 2010 2:24 PM | Report abuse

So now Dexter is on Danny's payroll?

Posted by: rdpinva | May 27, 2010 2:33 PM | Report abuse

don't agree with all manley said about campbell, but he was one of the great d-lineman on washington,hopefully orapko can be just as dominant or better.

Posted by: wathu19 | May 27, 2010 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Dex is the man.

Posted by: dashriprock | May 27, 2010 3:48 PM | Report abuse

i love Jason but Manley is right he could not process the d and it became fustrating every monday morning i was sad witth nothing to say

Posted by: teresabogans | May 27, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

Every team in the NFL needs a optimist like Manley. I'm glad the Redskins have multiple optimists (the entire radio broadcast team).

Posted by: Dlewis10 | May 27, 2010 5:11 PM | Report abuse

He criticizes Campbell for not being able to "read a defense"....ummm, excuce me, Dexter Manley said THAT? Dude, don't go there. Not your area -- no offense, but I mean c'mon, Dexter f'in Manley???

Posted by: dbunkr | May 27, 2010 5:12 PM | Report abuse

He criticizes Campbell for not being able to "read a defense"....ummm, excuse me, Dexter Manley said THAT? Dude, don't go there. Please..Not your area -- no offense, but I mean c'mon, Dexter f'in Manley???

Posted by: dbunkr | May 27, 2010 5:13 PM | Report abuse

I think Dexter need to refrain from pointing out who can and cannot READ! *wink*

Posted by: DCNative75 | May 27, 2010 7:02 PM | Report abuse