Did Lugo kick dirt on Willingham?

If you saw Josh Willingham hit the walk-off home run in the 10th inning of the rubber game between the Orioles and the Nats, you likely watched the completion of his home run trot. Nothing better than seeing the dogpile at home plate, plus for once Rob Dibble wasn't really bellowing or anything.

And if you watched closely, you might have seen something interesting as Willingham headed from second base to third. The video is here, and the relevant screen grabs are below.

First, Willingham smashed a Cla Meredith sinker over the left-center wall. It was gone from the jump, so Willingham took a tiny glance of admiration as the ball left the park.

"I was taking a strike and he threw a good one to hit on the 0-0 pitch," Willingham later told MASN's Debbi Taylor. "Then he threw me a couple of sliders, so I kind of figured a sinker was coming, and he threw it, left it up a little bit and I hit it well. I feel like when I'm getting some pitches to hit, I'm hitting them hard. That's about all you can do, look for your pitch to hit and it hit hard."

Since the game was technically over at this point, the Orioles and the umpires began leaving the field. As you can see, the Orioles began walking toward their dugout on the third-base line. But one player -- shortstop Julio Lugo, I believe -- walked perpendicular to his teammates, straight toward the jogging Willingham.

This is what's known in the parlance of sophisticated sports writers as a "collision course." That means they're going to bonk into each other.

As the two players approach doomsday, the Lugo draws back his right foot in an ominous manner. Willingham is, of course, clueless to this impending threat, instead trying to figure out how hard Wil Nieves -- who? -- will smash him on the head when he jumps on home plate.

The foot comes forward.

And the foot kicks dirt. I realize that this looks like he could just as easily be goose-stepping as kicking dirt, but watch the video for yourself and decide. Judging by anonymous commenters on Twitter and the Internet, at least a few people noticed this live.

"O's Third baseman [sic] certainly kicked dirt at Willingham," @Alloystang wrote. "As soon as he did our section freaked out. Bush league ball there."

"Did anyone see Lugo kick dirt on Willingham on the base path between 2nd and 3rd after the walk off?" someone asked on Nats Journal. "We need to buzz him next time we pitch to him - bush."

"I saw it," DoubleJs07 chimed in. "Lugo kicked dirt at him when he was about to round third LOL."

"hahahahaha lugo kicked dirt on willingham as he went by," someone posted on the Inside MD Sports game thread.

"We watched that dirt kicking a few times. It was hilarious," someone else added.

Well, all's well that ends well, I guess. Willingham didn't seem to so much as glance at the dirt kicker in his rear-view, instead heading home toward the dog pile and another afternoon of Silver Elvisdom.

Sadly, Wil Nieves was kind of frozen out of the head pounding.

(Thanks to @imissrfk and @twebster1229.)

(See also: an Oriolionals shirt. Just because.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 23, 2010; 11:01 PM ET
Categories:  Nats , Orioles
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Elvis Wigs and Galifianakis at Nats Park
Next: Leonsis on Verizon Center scheduling

Comments

Talk about pathetic.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 24, 2010 1:24 AM | Report abuse

and Pathetic is what you are

Posted by: CBinDC | May 24, 2010 3:10 AM | Report abuse

If you cant beat them, kick dirt on them. The zerO's are a joke. Nothing better than a walk off win against those frauds. The orioles suck.

Posted by: Redskins2Win | May 24, 2010 8:30 AM | Report abuse

That's Baltimore and their hillybilly teams and fans.

Posted by: ridgely1 | May 24, 2010 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

"Who cares. The Natinals had to go to extra innings to beat the worst team in baseball.

Talk about pathetic."

You're a real funny guy!! Poopy_McPoop. Natinals.
Ha Ha Ha

Nothing says "I'm a complete dope," like your username and that tired old "Natinals" joke.

You obviously need some friends and coming here to find them isn't working.

Posted by: jeadpt | May 24, 2010 8:41 AM | Report abuse

Poopy_McPoop=fail

The Natinals thing is so last season. Wake up and smell last place, Oreo's fan.

Posted by: Randy_Hawkins | May 24, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

Redskins2Win: You talk as if the Nats are good??? They are more of a joke than the O’s. Sure, they may be flirting around .500 for the time being, but do you honestly think anyone in the MLB sees them as legit?? LOL. They will have the same record as the O’s when it’s all said and done. How about the Nats and O’s switch divisions. The Nats would be lucky to have 10 wins. They suck, sorry to break the news to you.

All you Nats fans are just typical Dc bandwagoners. What baseball team were you rooting for 5 years ago, the Expos?? Unless you were, you are just an ignorant "fan" who jumped on the wagon. I tend to stay loyal to my roots, you should too. I'm DC born and raised, love my Wizards, Caps, & Skins. But I grew up rooting for the O's, and I can't just simply "switch" my allegiance because some team from Montreal moves to DC. How can you call the O's frauds when it's 90% of you Nats "fans" who are the frauds.

Posted by: cj658 | May 24, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

The O's may as well start looking around and figuring out who this next years bryce harper is gonna be.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 24, 2010 9:00 AM | Report abuse

A whole blog entry on whether or not Lugo kick dirt on Willingham. Who cares.

He obviously did. He was just pissed his team lost another game.

Move on.

Posted by: SmallPen15 | May 24, 2010 9:15 AM | Report abuse

a couple of years ago, you all would be defending Lugo because we were ALL Orioles fans at that time...some random dudes come to town, call themselves the Nationals and all of a sudden you hate the Orioles? Come on, stick with the teams you grew up with and cheered for for so many years, I have no problem with liking the Nats but dont hate on the Os when you used to be a fan

Posted by: rc2223 | May 24, 2010 9:24 AM | Report abuse

@rc2223

many of us were never Baltimore Orioles fans, just like many were never Colts/Ravens fans

it's a different city, and there were just as many Red Sox/Yankees/Cubs fans as there were Oriole fans here, remember being at the Crystal City Sports Bar in 2004, pre-Nats, and you would have thought you were in Connecticut with all the NYY and BOS fans, with the Orioles relegated to a back room TV

Lugo is a punk, but the better team won yesterday.

Posted by: TGT11 | May 24, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

Which baseball team was a I fan of 5 years ago?

Nobody.

Washington wasn't allowed to have a baseball team.

As for Lugo, typical classless Balitmoron.

Hey Steinbog, could you try to find out why MASN runs Bhawlmuher branded commericials during Nationals telecasts? (Bush Gardens being the most prominent example)

Posted by: CapsNut | May 24, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

i'm still trying to figure out exactly what the "hamma" was laying down

Posted by: dbuggs | May 24, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

TGT - you must be a blind man if you think there are not a ton of Orioles fans in DC area. I'd say it was 40=50% O's fans on Friday night, at the Nats home stadium. There's always been a bunch of transplants who are Sox/Yankees fans in DC. But if you liked baseball growing up, then you were an O's fan, plain and simple. If you were not a fan of any ball club before 2005, then you must not know very much about baseball. But I get it, you are new to baseball, its OK, welcome. Its a great game.

Put an NFL team in NoVA and see if you stop rooting for the Redskins, dope.

Posted by: jonasc311 | May 24, 2010 10:31 AM | Report abuse

"I'd say it was 40=50% O's fans on Friday night, at the Nats home stadium"

__________________________________________

Guess you failed Math.

I was Never an O's fan.

Posted by: JDB1 | May 24, 2010 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"If you were not a fan of any ball club before 2005, then you must not know very much about baseball. But I get it, you are new to baseball, its OK, welcome. Its a great game."

___________________________________________

I guess he couldn't just like the game of baseball? You have to have a team? Interesting

Posted by: JDB1 | May 24, 2010 10:50 AM | Report abuse

I sort of hope Lugo did kick dirt on Willingham, it would be great to have a heated rivalry between the O's and Nats...I have no hard feelings against the Orioles, like a lot of people in the area I grew up going to Camden Yards, but now that we have the Nats would be nice to have a interesting rivalry with our neighbors in Charm City...let's face it the Nats are not going to grow into rivals of the Phillies or Mets too much history, and the Marlins and Braves...ehhh at best.

Posted by: jro1 | May 24, 2010 10:51 AM | Report abuse

Straight from Steinberg's keyboard to your eyes Natinal fans:

"I haven't seen a single quote from anyone on either team acknowledging that this happened. Until I see that I'm willing to believe it was a figment of Internet imagination."

HAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHAHHAHHAHHAHAHA. Looks like Natinal fans getting their lacey panties all in a bunch over nothing. No player on either team mentioned it. You'd figure if it happened at least one Natinal player would mention it.

Oh well, better luck next time Natinal fans. It'll be interesting to see who you all are rooting for in a decade when the Natinals have moved on to Las Vegas or Portland or Grovers Corners.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 24, 2010 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Since you are new to it, baseball is played on a diamond. Each team gets three outs per inning, and you play 9 innings.

You also don't do the visiting team's cheers in your home ball park (tomahawk chop).

And you don't play/sing along to a stupid Neil Diamond song because you think it worked for the Red Sox.

Welcome to the big leagues, good luck!

Posted by: jonasc311 | May 24, 2010 11:05 AM | Report abuse

I was a Senator fan until they left town when I was 10. I rooted for The Big Red Machine as I grew up and enjoyed the O's teams of the late 70's & 80's w/Eddie Murray, Lowenstein, Dauer & of course Cal. Alot of O's fans forget their dad's rooted for a team that moved from St. Louis to Baltimore. Peter Angelos ruined a once proud franchise. I am happy to see the O's play well when they are not playing the Nat's. But Oriole fans need to worry about seeing their own team play well then worry about Washington fans change of allegience.

Posted by: dph60 | May 24, 2010 11:15 AM | Report abuse

congrats o's fans for still taking it up the butt by angelos... your owner sucks and so does your team.

Posted by: brendan_bolger | May 24, 2010 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Oh, we do worry about our team playing/not playing well. They quite simply have not gotten it done this year. Could not have gotten off to a worse start, and that is troubling.

I understand people who grew up rooting for the senators are now Nats fans, totally get that. I understand the Nats attracting new baseball fans. That's a good thing.

The people I have no respect for are those that, like me, grew up as rabid O's fans, and now that there is a more convenient stadium to go to, it's "I disowned them because of Angelos." Either you are a diehard till the end, or you are not. Period. I take comfort in the fact that there are at least a few of us whose fandom is not subject to the fluid nature of professional sports ownership/management/TV rights licensing, etc.

Posted by: jonasc311 | May 24, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

"That's Baltimore and their hillybilly teams and fans."
"As for Lugo, typical classless Balitmoron."

Yes, apparently the actions/poor sportsmanship of one scrub player equates to the entire team and therefore the entire city. That's some quality logical reasoning there.

Posted by: bb2theq | May 24, 2010 11:33 AM | Report abuse

Dan - Your directional green arrows is a good representation of what Lugo was doing.

With a team President named McFail, and an owner named PETER, and a shortstop named after what comes out of your nose when you blow it, you have signs of trouble.

Angelo$ has to be the worst owner in all of sports and even his Yankees and Red Sox guaranteed 18 games of sell-outs aren't selling out anymore.

A buddy of mine bought season tickets 14 years ago and every year his marked up price for Yankees and Red Sox games (all 18 of them) would cover his entire nut for the year until this year.

How many season ticket holders that were speculators won't even bother any more?

Those 18 games on Angelos schedule have always been worth a plus 500,000 in attendance over his season ticket base. That is what has carried him. Don't get me wrong, they still fill up well for those games with NY and Boston fans.

Posted by: dmacman88 | May 24, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Why would the O's say anything about it? If the NATS let it go when Lugo comes up again, fine, if they play a little "chin music " for him, better!! What is Poopy talking about? 2 0ut 3 and we need better luck? You're hoping we sweep your sorry team come June? Thanks for the sentiment.

Sec 204 Row H Seat 7

Posted by: adhardwick | May 24, 2010 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I swear Dan you catch everything. I thought I was seeing things when I saw Lugo kicked the dirt at Willingham while he was in his homerun stride. If you look at the whole thing I think Willingham surprised Lugo when he was coming around the bases, thus the dirt kick, ala Billy Martin. LOL! Eat dirt Julio!

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | May 24, 2010 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Forget the dirt kicking, my favorite part is Dibble saying "the hammer! laying down the smackem-yackem" when he's about to cross home. I have no idea what that means, but I love it. It reminds me of when Brad Daugherty used to do color for ESPN college basketball games. After a thunderous dunk: "If you're coming late to the arena, make sure and bring the peanut butter, because we already got the jam!" Or even Kirby Puckett (RIP) at the all-star game: "You see, it's pretty cold outside tonight, so he really should be pitching inside." Genius on all accounts...

Posted by: emc7x | May 24, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

To @rc2223 and Poopy_McPoop (are you serious? Do you finger paint as well?):

Ask Peter Angelos about why people change allegiances in sports. He made it very, very easy to change over to the Nationals...as you do too...to be associated with your kind of fan base?...Sorry, I've been formally educated...go brush your tooth...

Posted by: arioch666 | May 24, 2010 11:49 AM | Report abuse

arioch,

Maybe Lerner will piss you off enough to pick another new team next decade. If it happens (again), don't say no one ever told you so.

(p.s. shocker: we are the same fan base)

Posted by: jonasc311 | May 24, 2010 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, it looks like he kicked up some dirt on the Hamminator but what's the big deal? This is nothing.

Posted by: richs91 | May 24, 2010 12:59 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in DC in the 90s. My father took me to Orioles games as a kid. Watching a team and being a fan of a team are 2 different things. I'm from DC. I'm a DC fan. Period. I've always wanted a baseball team in DC. Going to another city to watch their team never did it for me. Why should I have to settle for another city's team just because my city doesn't have a team? I support Skins, Wiz, Caps, and Nats. Diehard. They represent where I'm from and I love this city.

Posted by: RedskinsFan1 | May 24, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Clearly 2 organizations going in opposite directions. A couple of weeks ago the O's drew less than 10,000 at the yard. What will they draw in Aug & Sept when they are 30 games back and football starts up? I pull for both teams in their respective leagues but the O's make it tough when you have the Dan Snyder of baseball running the show. Petey doesn't care about putting a winner on the field as long as his balance sheet stays in the black. The Nat's on the other hand are trying to build a winner and in two years will most likely be a contender. O's fans wake up thats not rain running down your leg its a gift from Petey!

Posted by: ICFLOPS | May 24, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Peeps--neither fan base has earned the right to talk trash against each other. Not about being the worst teams in baseball, not about who's stadium brings in more fans of the opposing team, and not about bandwagoners. As a Nats fan, I was impressed with the number of O's fans that came out to support their team. And let's be truly honest, if the records were reversed and this series was played in Baltimore, there's no way that many Nats fans would've made the trek.

For me, I welcome the bandwagoners. Nats Park is quite empty these days and while I'll miss the leg room, I'd like some real atmosphere. Friday night was a good showing--70% Nats fans and an impressive, but not overwhelming, number of O's fans. I was there, and it was nice to see the park have some level of excitement.

Posted by: rodeorob | May 24, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

@jonasc311,

I was at Nats Park this weekend, and it was not 50% Orioles fans - in your dreams buddy

if someone actually polled the DC area for favorite teams, I doubt the Orioles would come higher than 4th - especially in the District and Northern VA

Posted by: TGT11 | May 24, 2010 1:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't want Nats Park that full, seen a lot of live baseball from excellent seats last 2+ years for very low resale prices. Mini Me Lerner and his dad might not be happy about that, but their luck might be turning with the Strasburg call up.

Posted by: TGT11 | May 24, 2010 1:31 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop

--------------------------
The sad thing is this guy will never understand just how pathetic he really is.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 24, 2010 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Dan,

The Will Nieves jokes are now WAY less funny that he is our starting catcher. Good grief. .200

-DKSW

Posted by: DKSW | May 24, 2010 1:43 PM | Report abuse

OK, I said 40-50%. The guy above you said 30%, which ever way you want it, its fine. If you want to deny the O's fans turning out, so be it, I must have been hallucinating.

But just so you know, those are NOT people coming down from Baltimore for the most part, those are NoVA, MontCo, and DC kids that still, shockingly, root for the team they grew up on. I realize that's a difficult concept.

Think about trying to give up the Redskins (I assume you are a fan) because of the owner (familiar?) or because there is a new team that is now closer to where you live. Call me whatever you want, but growing up it was Orioles and Redskins and that aint changing for nothing. If you can't respect that, I dont know what to tell you. I didnt have too much of problem with the Nats until I started taking crap for remaining and O's fan (the mother effin audacity!). Hate breeds hate. I will and always will be a fan of every DC team except the Washington Nationals.

Posted by: jonasc311 | May 24, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

This is news? Really? Both teams are terrible and have been for a while (or since their inception). Trash talking can't be used by either fan base. I'm an O's fan through and through, and in no way hate the Nats. But neither team is any good. The Nats have a better shot at succeeding so far this year because their division has been terrible too. The Orioles don't have the luxury of being one game over five hundred, and still be 4 games back for first place. But the fact remains, neither of these teams is on the brink of doing anything of note. At least the Nats have Strasburg to help sell a few more tickets.

Posted by: smfoster3 | May 24, 2010 3:03 PM | Report abuse

And Willingham just washed that uniform!

Posted by: posttoastie1 | May 24, 2010 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: cj658 | May 24, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I guess I can speak on this one....since I'm from and DC and really had no baseball team to root for before the Nats came to DC!!I guess i couldv'e rooted for the O's...but that would've been a whole lot of wasted energy being that the've sucked for so long!! Just think about it....there was a team all this time less than an hour away...and I never went to a single game...nor took time to watch them on TV!!

I guess what i'm trying to say is....STOP HATING!!!

Posted by: chicoexcell | May 24, 2010 3:24 PM | Report abuse

If you've never been to Camden Yards, then no, you were never an O's fan. I actually feel bad for you then. You were, astoundingly, a baseball fan without a team. No one should have a problem with you. Some of us however did go to Camden Yards and watched them on TV on HTS and idolized Cal Ripken and those very good teams in the 90's. Just don't tell me I should be gnats fan now, just because its convenient, or the owner sucks, or times are tough, or any other excuse that these ex-O's fans are using.

Posted by: jonasc311 | May 24, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Did cj658 just accuse Nats fans of being on the bandwagon? Seriously? As if, before the Expos moved to DC, we were all just fans of mediocre-to-terrible baseball and wanted a team that FINALLY understood the ethos of failure?

I don't know how Nationals fans can be accused of fraud by someone who was "born and raised" in DC and yet actively supported a team that openly lobbied to keep a team out of Washington. Way to crap where you eat, buddy.

It's not switching allegiance. It's remaining loyal to Washington.

But keep preaching about your roots. I'm sure it resonates with someone else who doesn't know what he's talking about.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 24, 2010 4:14 PM | Report abuse

John, you obviously never had any loyalty to the Orioles. That's fine, some of us did, and could haven given two ***** whether or not DC got a team. You see because, unlike you, we already had a team. Already. Had. A. Team. And unlike many others, we are remaining loyal to that team.

I'm not from DC, I'm from NoVA. If they put a team in NoVA, I won't be a fan of that them either. I have my teams and I'm loyal to them, not their geographical location.

But I suppose this is all just in one ear out the other.

Posted by: jonasc311 | May 24, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

"all of a sudden you hate the Orioles?"

Whoa there, buddy. It was not all of a sudden. I was an Orioles fan for a long time. Those early 1980's teams were awesome.

But the Orioles worked hard and *earned* my antipathy over a period of a number of years

Remember: a certain Mr Angelos single-handedly stopping MLB from awarding a franchise to DC for years. And even today, thanks to Angelos' threatening of a lawsuit, and MLB buckling under -- the Nats are the only team in major league baseball that do not control their own TV rights, which were awarded to Angelos.

The Orioles earned our hate the old-fashioned way -- they earned it.

Posted by: ADCWonk | May 24, 2010 4:27 PM | Report abuse

I dont think thats "old-fashioned," because I can't think of a another sports franchise in history that drove their so-called "fans" off so completely to the point that they now hate them. What other teams have ex-fans that completely flipped and now openly root against their former "team"? Maybe there's a few, I just can't think of any.

Posted by: jonasc311 | May 24, 2010 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Lugo was just f'ing around and acting like he was going to trip him - BIG F'ING DEAL.

Don't worry Nats fans, they will pack up and leave DC in a few years, just like every other MLB team has done that has called DC home.

Posted by: shaggyd2117 | May 24, 2010 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Far be it from anyone to be a voice of reason on the Internet, but here goes: Who cares if people from DC or NoVa are O's fans? And who cares if people who rooted for the O's 10 years ago are now Nats fans? If this was all either team had to worry about, that'd be great. But they both stink.

Look, I grew up in Md as an O's fan. I didn't "give up" on them in 2005 as much as I was swept off my feet by the Nats. I lived in DC at the time, bought season tickets and have since invested more time, energy, and, most importantly, money into the Nats than any other team in the region. Yes it helps that I can get to the ballpark in 10 minutes, and it helps that I now live about 20 minutes from their Single A farm team. Even when I rooted for the O's, I'd go to one or two games a year. So although I went to a few O's games in 2005 and 2006, over the past few years my enthusiasm diminished. Does that make me a bandwagoner? I don't think so. I've witnessed some of the worst baseball games I'll ever see over the past five years. If I wasn't a true fan, I wouldn't have shelled out my money for what will likely be another year of disappointment, something which I'm sure O's fans can relate.

So again, who cares where you're from and who you root for. If you're still of fan of either team after the past five years, than more power to you.

Posted by: rodeorob | May 24, 2010 5:16 PM | Report abuse

I can agree with that, rodeo, to an extent. Although I could never imagine my passion for any of my pathetic teams "diminishing" (and they are all pathetic). That's the main difference.

I think its getting to the point where the O's fans see the writing on the wall, and that's causing some frustration. From this point forward we will be the obvious minority no matter how the teams play. The O's are not picking up any new fans. Sadly, we will be the outcasts.

And your right no one should care, and its all fun and games until they put us in the same division, which WILL happen eventually. Then the battle lines will be drawn, and my hatred of the Nationals will actually be justified, other than just hating them by default because I always have to defend my Oriole fandom.

Posted by: jonasc311 | May 24, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

There's way too many moving parts to this debate for it to make any sense. You've got 2 cities with very different demographic profiles (esp. with regard to population growth/change). One city now has all the major sports teams, with baseball recently returning after a 30+ year absence, and another city has 2 major sports teams (with football team having relatively recently replaced one that left). So, accusations could be made all around and I'm not sure where that leaves us (although hopefully it will spell the beginning of the end of the joint-MASN broadcasts during Nats vs. Os).

Posted by: thelonghaul | May 24, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey cj658 and the rest of you who presume to question Nats fans jumping ship from the O's, where you typing your posts while wearing your Raven's jersey? Secondly the Nats went 500 to this point in the season against the toughest part of their schedule (now we get cupcakes like the O's)and this competition were contenders last year. Strausberg on the way. Nationals are marketly better than Baltimore. Hate Peter not us!

Posted by: jpciii66 | May 24, 2010 5:38 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jpciii66 | May 24, 2010 5:39 PM | Report abuse

This is awesome cuz i was an O's fan until . . . 1.they fired the manager of the year. 2.chased away Mike Mussina who would have stayed for a discount 6/$72M before he hit free agency. 3.and then decided to just suck forever. It's like divorce, drop that b!tch and get on to the next one. Go Nats!!!

Posted by: jpt1002 | May 24, 2010 6:09 PM | Report abuse

So DC fans are ipso facto supposed to be Boriole fans? Please. 33 years of no baseball and many friends and I went to Vet in Philly instead of driving into the open sewer that is Baltimore to watch the Zeros. Without Washington, Baltimore is a dying baseball town. I enjoyed watching MASN's replay of the 1970 series win against the Reds at memorial Stadium and seeing the thousands of empty seats. Yep, that Balmer is a great baseball town. No wonder you are so bitter. From whence will they draw moving forward? Oh sure, your'll get your Sox and Yankee fans driving down (and not in great numbers anymore apparnetly) but you will get VERY few fans from south and west. The Phils own the north. That leaves the Eastern Shore. And most DC fans I know won't drive to see the Nats in Harm City because they don't want to give a nickel to Angelos. Haha. Good luck. The birds will rot on the vine as long as the Pig owns the team and then they will move after he dies. Where? I am sort of rooting for Montreal. That would be sweet. The St. Louis Browns will finally have come to roost in Canada and the Queen City of the Patapsco River Drainage Basin will have lost teams in every major sport. GO BROWNS! (er Ravens)

Posted by: Natstoyou | May 24, 2010 6:10 PM | Report abuse

I was born and raised in the D.C. area, and lived there until just a few years ago. I was always an avid Senators fan right up to the end in 1972. I have a lot of old memorys of going to Griffith Stadium to see them play.

Although I did like Brooks and Cal over the years, I hated the O's when I was a kid, and mellowed only a little in the last few years. I got to where I didn't hate them, but I was never a fan, even when there seemed to be no hope of ever getting baseball back in Washington.

As poor as they were, the old Nats (yes, they were often referred to as the Nats in those days too) managed to beat Baltimore a time or two, much to my liking. But Brooks and Cal are gone now, and Baltimore just doesn't offer this old Washington boy anything. I especially enjoyed the Nats' last two games.

Posted by: Rick11 | May 24, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

So the St. Louis Browns move to town and you just start rooting for them? What a bunch of bandwagon jumpers.

I was a Senators fan. When they left, for 34 years whenever someone asked me who my favorite baseball team was I said, "Washington". And to anyone who asked me why I didn't root for the Orioles I said, "I'll start rooting for the Orioles when Colts fans start rooting for the Redskins."

I wasn't at any of the Orioles-Nats games this week. But if it is true that 30-40% of the fans in attendance were O's fans, then that means the Orioles draw better in D.C. than they do in Baltimore -- where on more than one occasion this season less than 10,000 "fans" showed-up at Camden Yards.

Maybe those O's "fans" weren't at Nationals Park to root for Baltimore's team. Maybe they were window-shopping for a real Major League franchise.

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | May 24, 2010 6:44 PM | Report abuse

You guys are right. It's Peter Angelos', and only Peter Angelos', fault that MLB gave teams to Denver, Miami, Phoenix, or Seattle before finally giving DC it's THRID team.

Yep, totally Angelos' fault. Oh wait, he wasn't the owner when 3 of those 4 (Phoenix being the exception) teams came into existence.

But, don't let those facts get in the way of your ignorance though Natinal fans.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 24, 2010 7:58 PM | Report abuse

Poopy McPoop, eh? With a name like that, you must live in Highlandtown but smell like Dundalk. Luv them ZerO's hon.

Posted by: Natstoyou | May 24, 2010 9:53 PM | Report abuse

it just amazes me as to how some of the O's fans come off sounding like little high school girls. you know the ones. they can't understand why their friends just don't get that their new boyfriend is just the ginchiest! they are so cool, so neat, insert the term for your generation here.

i am a Nats fan. i've been a Nat's fan since they moved here, including through two 100 loss seasons. i live in the DC Metro area. i do not live in the Baltimore Metro area. i have never paid any attention to the O's. i have never, and will never, rooted for the O's. i don't care at all about the O's. got it yet?

so to have posters accuse fans who might have cared about the O's to be turncoats because they supported the O's in the past but now root for the Nats, (jonasc311), or to make idiotic statements as to who we Nats fans will cheer for when the Nats leave (Poopy_McPoop), let me explain it to you. i really don't care anything about the O's. and i really don't expect you to care anything about the Nats. but your continued posting in all threads Nats (or Natinals, for one idiot in the village), is amusing to say the least. you are coming off as the afore-mentioned little high school girls who will stomp and stamp her little feet and demand that we all like her boyfriend!

it didn't work on me in high school, and it sure isn't working on me now. O's fans can enjoy their team with my compliments. and i expect them to give me the same courtesy to enjoy MY team with their compliments.

and if you didn't get the alliteration there? yes, i'm calling all of you namby pamby little O's fans who think you can decide we can not, should not, be Nats fans. i don't give a damn about your team. please give me the same courtesy.

Posted by: ceejay3 | May 24, 2010 10:34 PM | Report abuse

blah blah blah.

The Natinals have been here for like 5 years and can't even sellout their stadium.

It took Peter Angelos nearly a decade of mismanagement before the nightly attendance at OPACY matched that of the current Natinals.

And I still don't see anyone addressing the facts I presented earlier about Angelos having nothing to do with MLB giving teams to Seattle, Denver and Miami before DC got it's THIRD (yes THIRD) team.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 24, 2010 11:30 PM | Report abuse

"ADC, you sir, are simply a bad fan. Through thick and thin, you just couldn't cut it."

What are you talking about? I live in NoVa, work in DC, and for decades have dreamed about bringing my kids to baseball games, and rooting for a "home" team. Baltimore is not my home.

My family's been attending Nats games since the day _before_ their first game (we attended the exhibition game at RFK that was a day before opening day). We've been with them through thick and thin, through two 100+ loss seasons. I'm not sure what it is I can't "cut".

I have no problem rooting for two teams, but Angelos' behavior turned me off. It's amazing to me how many people just don't get that.

As for the Poopster, Angelos certainly did have a lot to do with MLB giving teams to Seattle, Denver and Miami first -- because Angelos was threatening lawsuits and MLB was easily scared off.

And as for DC being on it's third team -- so what? Baltimore is on its second baseball team, and it's second football team. How is that relevant?

Posted by: ADCWonk | May 25, 2010 9:25 AM | Report abuse

jpt1002- Here Here! And dont forget, he also ran Jon Miller out of town. Whatta guy that Angelos.

Posted by: dcmg | May 25, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

To all you invaders out there (what, is there no blog out there for O's fans? - has Angelos sued to prevent any non-Angelos owned blogs from appearing), Angelos worked long and hard to keep anyone from the DC metro area from rooting for his team. (Those that continue to root for them, enjoy being treated to Angelos's Poopy McPoop.) He did indeed threaten to sue to keep DC from getting both of the expansion teams that went to Arizona and Tampa Bay (forgot about them, huh, Poopy?) and kept DC from getting the Expos for several years for the same reason. It was only when they weren't allowed to fold the Twins that Major League Baseball paid Angelos off - ten years after we could have had a team. I never rooted for the Orioles, but I don't hate them (even now). But I do hate Angelos and will never root for a team that has Angelos as an owner. Jonasc, I don't know of any other owner who actively drove off a substantial part of its fan base, but the Angelos-owned Orioles did just that. Don't blame us for reacting accordingly.

Posted by: elijah383 | May 25, 2010 10:03 AM | Report abuse

Just a quick fact check: So far this year, the Nats fill their stadium to 49.6% vs. 45.5% for Baltimore. (source, ESPM.com) This despite the fact that the average Nats ticket price is $30.63 vs. O's $23.42 (source - teammarketing.com).

(On the road, the Nats draw 77.6% to 63.3% for the O's. Ouch!)

With the Nationals drawing a larger number of fans from the DC Metro area, the Orioles now have a much smaller total fan base to draw from, especially when it comes to commercial accounts for the sale of boxes/suites. If the braintrust that runs the team doesn't figure out quickly how to put a good team on the field, I predict some serious revenue issues that may lead to the bankruptcy/sale of the team or movement to a larger market. That would be a real shame, unless Angelos loses a ton of money and the Os stay in Baltimore (best case scenario).

Posted by: ehay2k | May 25, 2010 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ADCWonk | May 25, 2010 9:25 AM

Sorry wonkster but you've just showed how little you actually know. Angelos wasn't even the owner of the O's when MLB awarded teams to Seattle, Denver, and Miami. Hell, Seattle got a team in the late 70's.

Oooooops, just blew your Angelos/lawsuit theory against MLB in regards to those teams right out of the water.

Snap, crackle, pop.

Also ehay2k, I love your "DC-Metro draws more Nats fans" especially when last year FACTS showed that more people int he DC-area actually watch the O's over the Nats.

Snap, crackle, pop, again!

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 25, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse