Ernie Grunfeld's good-luck charm

Irene Pollin rather famously wore her late husband's championship ring Tuesday night, when the Wizards won the draft lottery. And Ernie Grunfeld? He busted out a necklace.

"It's something I got from my father when I was about six years old," Grunfeld told Comcast SportsNet's Chris Miller after the Wizards' numbers came up. "It's actually just a basketball [charm], or a ball in general. I got this when we were still in Europe. So I brought it out, I've never used it before. But thank you," he concluded, pointing skyward.

Really, though, the reason I'm posting all this is so you can fast forward the CSN video to about the 2:09 mark, when Irene Pollin busts into the frame.

"Oh my God, Ernie, Jesus, Oh my God, it's incredible, we did it," she says, and then leaves the frame.

"Incredible" seems to be the right word here.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 18, 2010; 11:37 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Wiz win lottery, the video
Next: John Wall wants to play in front of Obama

Comments

"Oh my God, Ernie, Jesus, Oh my God, it's incredible, we did it,"

What is what Bert said to Ernie after their first Hot Carl?

Posted by: snydercash4clunkers | May 18, 2010 11:57 PM | Report abuse

Before tonight happened this story had a 90% chance of sucking! Now, way to go. Great video.

Posted by: Pbonds | May 18, 2010 11:58 PM | Report abuse

This of course is made all the more funny because both Grunfeld and Pollin are Jewish. Jesus indeed. Steinberg, am I right or am I right?

Posted by: fundermental | May 19, 2010 12:21 AM | Report abuse

As much as I love what happened to the Wizards tonight, it cant stop my stomach from turning when I hear someone blaspheme the sovereign name of our creator THREE times in one sentence.

Posted by: US-conscience | May 19, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

DC has just exploded.... Ted is a good guy, has a good spirit and the country needs something like this to happen. Time for faith and civility to be renewed and the good guy win sometime. Of course, like Patrick Ewing to the Knicks, manifest destiny reared it's head, again, in the NBA and it's all good. The wizards are in the mix, President Obama, who would give up his day job as POTUS if he could play with the Lakers) CAN deliver LaBron James. Of course you might have to take coach cal. But what the hell you get BRON, John Wall, Gil??, Chris Bosh, and keep couple fluffers and who knows. I think Ernie has done good so now get lost. I know Ted will figure it out and we will support him but it is cool to dream

Posted by: matrixcl55 | May 19, 2010 1:57 AM | Report abuse

what were they talking about "3 outta 4 times" around 1:50??

Posted by: pickmaaa | May 19, 2010 2:58 AM | Report abuse

I heard Barno likes Hot Carls.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 19, 2010 3:21 AM | Report abuse

Your 2012 Washington Wizards

Wall, Arenas, Durant, Carmelo, J. Howard

--------------

And isn't it ironic that a bog poster with the name poop TWICE in his name is talking about other people liking Hot Carls?

Posted by: fushezzi | May 19, 2010 8:31 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: US-conscience | May 19, 2010 1:08 AM | Report abuse

------

Funny. I don't recall anyone mentioning Lebron James?

Posted by: fundermental | May 19, 2010 8:47 AM | Report abuse

I was looking at I. Pollin before the lottery, all old and confused looking in that ugly canary suit, nobody talking with her and I was like, what an embarrassment. Now I'm thinking conspiracy all the way - Stern making sure she was there to see the Wiz get the fixed #1 overall pick.

Posted by: sunnyman1 | May 19, 2010 8:51 AM | Report abuse

"I heard Barno likes Hot Carls."

I think he's said that on here a few times. ;)

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 19, 2010 9:10 AM | Report abuse

@US-conscience

Please, for your own sake, do not lurk in an NATS related blogs-lot of blasphemey going on. Uh, if you're interested the Second Coming will occurr around June 5, 6 or 8. Congratulation to the Bullets.

Posted by: adhardwick | May 19, 2010 9:13 AM | Report abuse

@US-conscience

Please, for your own sake, do not lurk in any NATS related blogs-lot of blasphemey going on. Uh, if you're interested the Second Coming will occurr around June 5, 6 or 8. Congratulations to the Bullets.

Posted by: adhardwick | May 19, 2010 9:14 AM | Report abuse

Sorry for the double post.

Posted by: adhardwick | May 19, 2010 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Forgive my ignorance...what are Hot Carls?

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | May 19, 2010 9:32 AM | Report abuse

Google it Hugh

Posted by: fushezzi | May 19, 2010 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Ugh. Nasty. Foul. Fushezzi...I was eating breakfast too. That is so wrong.

Ignorance was bliss.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | May 19, 2010 10:00 AM | Report abuse

So, John Wall want's to play in front of Obama? Better get here quick son because he's gone in two years....

Posted by: jenkij | May 19, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

i heard fushezzi is notorious for leaving Upper Deckers.

Google that one Hugh.