Gibbs, Dexter, Riggo and bulletin boards

Dexter and Montana. (1986 photo by Gary A. Cameron - TWP)

I only got see Joe Gibbs in action for four years, but that was enough to verify the age-old Gibbsologist postulate: that every team the Redskins were about to face could have run roughshod over a team consisting of 11 700-pound frothing Spanish bulls. Without getting gored once.

Now, I've never understood exactly how important the bulletin board was, and whether it could actually turn a win into a loss, and vice versa. And John Riggins apparently shares some of my doubts. Gibbs does not. Thus, this dialog from Gibbs's recent appearance on The John Riggins Show on WTOP 103.5 HD-3. If you liked the '80s-era Redskins, it's worth a chuckle or two.

Riggins: "Do you remember Joe when we were playing Dallas, and I forget which year it was, but Dexter and I both had come out, and of course they asked us a few questions. And I forget what we said, but of course we were a little bit more bombastic than we should have been. But do you remember you started a meeting off with 'You know now we're not gonna be talking to the papers and telling them how great we are and how we're gonna beat Dallas and all this. And there's a couple of guys in here, and you know who you are....' Does that sound familiar?"

Gibbs: "The one I remember the best, I said look we're going low profile here for the game in Dallas. It was a huge deal for us. And I get on the bus, and you guys are all dressed in fatigues. I turned around and went WHAT IS THIS? And you guys all get off the bus down there and you're wearing fatigues, kind of like in your face, Dallas! And I'm going, we're gonna get killed. And of course, we went out and just played our living guts out, and it was one of our big victories there. I remember a lot of those things that probably you guys think I missed."

Riggins: "I've got a legitimate question for you here....Myself, I never have gotten the angle, why coaches are so nervous about that Joe. Enlighten me a little bit, because as a player a guy who's gonna be out there on the field, if somebody says something, you might think about it a little bit during the week, but once that ball is snapped, it's gone. Particularly from an offensive player's viewpoint, I ain't got time to think about that stuff. You've got to call a play, you've got to know what you're gonna do, and then the ball's snapped and it's all reaction. I've never really understood why it's like we've got to reel this back in a little bit?"

Gibbs: "Well, it absolutely drove me crazy, and I thought it was a big deal, for this reason. If you say something and they put it on the bulletin board, to me, what you're kind of doing is saying to the other team, 'Hey, we don't think as much of you.' And what you're gonna do, those great competitors, you're gonna get their best effort. And what you'd like to do as a coach is let the sleeping dog lie. Hey, if they're not looking at us as being that important, let it lie.

"I'll give you an example. If you remember this, Montana had had the back surgery, and we were playing them here, and Dexter came out in the paper and said I'm gonna ring his clock! I don't know if you remember this or not. So I'm standing on the sideline...and the first play, they lined up the tight end all the way on the sideline, he went in motion 20 yards and ear-holed Dexter. Then the next play they had the tight end stand up in front of him and the tackle cut him.

"So when he came to the sideline, I was standing there and I went there you go. Of course, Dexter, he wound up playing his guts out, but I've got to tell you, I was always paranoid about that. I know you guys, it probably didn't register with you, but it did with me."

Riggins then asked about the differences between players from the '80s and from the modern NFL, and while Gibbs said many things about the game have changed, he said the players themselves happened. People are people.

"I think everybody on the team has a different hot button," Gibbs said. "If you're good at working with people, you realize everybody is a little different on the team, and you've got to know what hot buttons to hit. As an example, John never really wanted to talk to me much.....He stayed very far away from me. He talked to Bugel and Breaux. But that's the way John dealt with things.

"I'll tell you one little story, I'm in a meeting, and so I got all revved up for one of our games and I was yelling. I gave it my best shot in the meeting, and I even pounded my hand on a glass deal up front, broke it, all this kind of stuff. And so the guys all go out to practice, so I got out there and John waves me over with his finger when we're stretching. So I kind of walked over there and I didn't know what you were gonna say, I was kind of uptight and everything. You looked at me and you went, you made the hair stand up on the back of my neck with that one.

"I started laughing, I laughed and I walked away. And I said, 'Man, I thought I got them all in the right mood, and here John's screwing around.'

"Ok, now two or three weeks later, this rarely ever happened in our meeting, John stood up in the back of our meeting when I was talking about something, and he said, 'Hey, I've got something to say about this game.' I think we were playing Dallas, and you kind of gave a little pep talk there to the game, which I was fine with. I was kind of shocked that you stood up. So we go out to practice, and we're out there stretching, and I went over to John and I tapped him on the shoulder pad. And he turned around and looked at me, and I went, You made the hair stand up on the back of my neck with that one."

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 24, 2010; 3:27 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Greivis Vasquez graduates
Next: Andray Blatche's reaction to the lottery win

Comments

Dan, those were the great years of Redskins football!!

Posted by: adhardwick | May 24, 2010 4:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh sweet sweet nostalgia

Posted by: MillBurray | May 24, 2010 4:10 PM | Report abuse

the "glass deal" - a window? a glass, as in dispenser, a table top?

Thems fightin' guts!

Posted by: MikeNelmsReturns | May 24, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

When are people going to admit the truth? Gibbs traded away 38 draft picks in his 2 tenures. 6 of them were first rounders. The malaise of the 90s was a direct result of Gibbs throwing away high picks. He did it again in Gibbs II and again the fans are paying for it having to watch lousy, old teams. Look at the facts. The last 20 years is all his fault.

Posted by: lp_lodestar | May 24, 2010 6:18 PM | Report abuse

Would you like to give up the three superbowl trophies he brought us? I'm pretty sure they were his "fault" too.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | May 24, 2010 6:45 PM | Report abuse

4 SB appearances with 3 victories...

We're in this trouble because The Squire was chasing that crazy Marlena all over town and decided not to leave the team to John.

That started this whole domino effect, not Gibbs and draft picks.

Posted by: kahlua87 | May 24, 2010 6:46 PM | Report abuse

"The last 20 years is all his fault."

Umm, no.

Bobby Beathard, one of the greatest GM's in football history, built those teams.

That team had one of the greatest offensive lines in history, one of the most underrated defensive lines, some of the best coaches in the game, and some of the brightest characters.

4 SB's, 3 wins, the first African American QB to WIN a SB...and lots and lots of wonderful memories. The 1991 Reskins rank as the 4th all-time hardest team to play in the history of the game(schedule/opponents/wins/losses).

Some of my best memories as a kid revolve around this team. Clearly you have no clue what you're talking about.

Get a clue.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 24, 2010 8:02 PM | Report abuse

I am a long time fan I go back to the Skins at Griffith stadium in the bad old days. My high school team played one of first games at RFK. In those days the Skins practiced behind the old DC General Hospital and you could hang on the fence and watch, Sonny, Charlie T, Jerry Smith, Bobby Mitchell, Larry Brown practice. This evolved into the Skins of the 70's, 80"s and 90's. It all started with Vince Lombardi, then George Allen. The tradition continued and I think the tradition is on the way back. You can be a true Skins fan or just try to fine reason to make dumb statements, but us old true diehards will always be there.

Posted by: PostieNAus | May 24, 2010 10:24 PM | Report abuse

lp_lodestar is a dumbass...I would'nt trade those 3 trophies & 4 super bowl appearances for what the last 20 years hath wrought...you must not have been there as I was, the best of the best. & btw...Beathard made the choices back then, when a GM was a REAL GM...learn what you are talking about before mouthing off.

Posted by: james51 | May 24, 2010 10:53 PM | Report abuse

I agree 100% with rmcazz and james51, especially the part about lp_lodestar being a dumbass.

Posted by: TideSkin | May 24, 2010 11:59 PM | Report abuse

amen kahlua87! i always thought marlena was a plant from the cowboys. why would the squire hire norv- a coach from the cowboys??? clearly, the old man had lost it.

speaking of trading picks, i am still amazed that skins couldn't turn the '99 draft trade into a dynasty... 8 picks for ricky williams (ok 7 b/c they swapped first rounders) and skins drafted champ in the first round- they got who they wanted anyway in the first round! was that gibbs' fault?

Posted by: dcalize | May 25, 2010 12:32 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: lp_lodestar

---------------------------------

It seems the Hall of Fame voters disagree with you, Bozo. So do I.

Posted by: PrinceBuster21 | May 25, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Anybody care to compare Gibb's record with Beathard and after Beathard ?

Quite a difference.

Posted by: petebowling1 | May 25, 2010 2:06 AM | Report abuse

lp_lodestar is either a troll, or he's Steve Spurrier in disguise. Either way, please ignore this idiot.

Posted by: Monk81_Green28 | May 25, 2010 8:48 AM | Report abuse

Dan, you made the hair stand up on the back of my neck with that one.

Posted by: stevebeagrie | May 25, 2010 11:02 AM | Report abuse

The problem with some folks is they think they ('skins) can win every year.. We were spoiled back with Gibbs in the 80's when he took over as coach. and now we are a team once again trying to find our identity. I think Dan snyder has learned much about being an owner, has hired a legitimate coach, and GM. IMO, i feel were on the right track. HTTR!!

Posted by: tc1b | May 25, 2010 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Monk81_Green28

Lavar, is that you?

Posted by: Predator48 | May 25, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

lp_lodestar - you're delusional.

Posted by: MikeKohout | May 25, 2010 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of Dexter reminds me of the Dallas game when he squirted the water bottle into the Cowboys huddle. Now THOSE were the days!

Posted by: ExPatYankee | May 25, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow...those were the days...I'd love to hear more of what went on back then. Why doesn't Joe write a book?

Posted by: wagenstill | May 26, 2010 6:53 AM | Report abuse