Greivis Vasquez loves Duke?

(By Kevin C. Cox - Getty)

Greivis Vasquez did everything he could over the last four years to convince Maryland fans that he had turtle blood running through his veins, from his love affair with Gary Williams to his frequent odes to life in College Park to his assertion that Cameron Indoor was his house. And now, when his career is over, we find out that he's actually a Duke fan? Bizarre beyond belief.

Fellow Montrose star Josh Hairston was on 620 The Buzz, and was asked about playing in College Park. "They're not exactly the most polite fans on planet earth," the host pointed out. The host wanted to know whether Greivis had ever counseled Hairston about dealing with the Comcast crowd.

"He talks about Duke all the time, how much he loves Coach K, and the staff and the program itself," Hairston said. "You know, he's warred me before, but that's just how [Maryland] fans are, so you've just got to keep playing through it."

The more interesting part, obviously, was the part about how much he loves Coach K. So Hairston expanded.

"When I first met Greivis, the first thing he kept talking about was how much he loved Duke and how much he loved Coach K. And I thought he was being sarcastic at first, but he's very serious about it. Every time I see him he always talks about how much he just loves the program.

"And when [the Terps] were knocked out of the NCAA Tournament, we were running a camp together at Montrose. And a kid asked him who he wanted to win the tournament and he just said 'Duke.' He said 'Duke all the way.' He's always been a big Duke fan, and he hopes that we can pull it off. He is a true Duke fan, even though he plays for Maryland."

Never would have guessed that one. Via The Sporting Blog. Other things that happened:

* Long-time Nats blogger Miss Chatter, aka WaPo employee Cathy Taylor, will begin writing for CSNWashington.com.

* Her first piece -- a look at the family of Nats reliever Drew Storen -- is already out. And it includes this quote from Storen's mom, about why she didn't go watch Drew's MLB debut:

"I didn't want to throw up on national TV."

* Speaking of Storen, who got his first win on Wednesday night, here's an El Drew K t-shirt design.

* And here are a host of other Nats t-shirts, at Nationals Fringe. There's a Clip & Save model, an I Love You When You Sucked design, and several other fine offerings.

* Stats say that Livan Hernandez is on one of the luckiest pitching runs in baseball history.

* There are John Wall images all over the place. There's this Great Wall of Chinatown attempt. There's this horribly terrifying look at Irene Pollin's surprise. And there's this amazing group of Wall Dance photoshops. Someone really needs to put Strasburg's face over God's here. If that's not taking things too far.

* Mike Lee reports that the Wizards sold nearly 400 season-ticket packages in the first 12 hours after the draft lottery. No more talk about how Caps fans are bandwagoners.

* And Dan Shanoff has a plan to put several home games a year in Baltimore and thereby lure Carmelo Anthony to the Wizards in 2011.

* Oh, and the National Post's Michael Traikos has some nice things to say about Alex Ovechkin:

in the last few months, something has happened. Ovechkin has dropped his carefree attitude. He has at times shunned the media and his fans. And, in the process, he has gone from being the face of the NHL to being a complete farce.

Whoo! The season's over and it's still happening. Can't wait til Vegas.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 19, 2010; 10:31 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Terps , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Paula Deen, Ham Brigade at Nats Park
Next: Should the Nats play "Sweet Caroline?"

Comments

This is going to sound pretty crazy but I totally understand where Greivis is coming from. When Duke beat Md in the final moments of the 2001 ACC title game in another instant classic, the players shaking hands afterwards said to each other: "see you in the Final Four."

They wanted to play each other, because they have such a great rivalry and had a great mutual respect for each other. And of course they both kept up their end of the bargain, meeting 3 weeks later in Minneapolis.

I think maybe it's a language thing with GV. My guess is Greivis has a ton of respect for Duke and coach K. Not love, but respect. I get how he would root for Duke in the tourney. I wasn't myself "rooting" for Duke, but after it was all over, a part of me liked the fact that the ACC had another national champ and the Terps, for the second year in a row, were the last team in the country to beat the eventual champ.

I get it. No worries...he can respect Duke all he wants.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 20, 2010 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Gotta love Barno continuing his Vasquez dong sucking and making excuses for a guy who rooted for Duke to win it all.

Of course had any poster on here openly rooted for Duke, Barno would've called him all kinds of juvenile insults.

But that's the keyboard cowboy for ya. Enjoy your Hot Carls barno.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 20, 2010 2:19 AM | Report abuse

There is an Irish saying something along the lines of “May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows your dead.” I am hoping that Livo goes through the All-Star Break as he is playing now before the stats realize he’s cheating them. If he can manage that, then there is the chance that Chien-Ming Wang can pick up the slack, or maybe Ross Detwiler, if the Nats continue to be lucky.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | May 20, 2010 7:13 AM | Report abuse

Love Lavaar and Dukes. Also love what the Nats are doing. Caps and Skins and Bullets.
DC is going to explode as a sports town. Which we already are and have been. Only some interloping scribes say we're not.

I do not recognize Wizards. It's a sham.
Dump Arenas and bring the name and colors back.

Posted by: ridgely1 | May 20, 2010 9:37 AM | Report abuse

"There's a Clip & Save model, an I Love You When You Sucked design, and several other fine offerings."

How is there not a "I'm a Washington fan and I love Wang" design yet??

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2010 10:12 AM | Report abuse

"Mike Lee reports that the Wizards sold nearly 400 season-ticket packages in the first 12 hours after the draft lottery."

And only 399 of those buyers were ticket brokers!

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2010 10:13 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the press! I couldn't announce it til my first piece was out. You definitely picked out the best line.

Posted by: misschatter | May 20, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Not surprised at all about Greivis liking Duke. No reason ACC shouldn't support the ACC. That goes for fans as well, in my opinion.

Posted by: agl132 | May 20, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Why is everyone believing this report from a single player who claims to be friends with Vasquez? I just don't believe it.

Posted by: JDP_ | May 20, 2010 12:50 PM | Report abuse

This story is basically what's wrong with today's media. Some guy that hasn't even played college basketball is being quoted about what Greivis Vasquez likes. Really? Nothing better to write about? That goes to him being Duke fan? I'd imagine if you asked Greivis, he'd have a bit of a different response. In basketball terms, it makes sense.. but really a "Duke Fan"? He's never even said it himself and there is an article posted about it? Wow.

Posted by: Brianbethrockvillemd | May 20, 2010 1:17 PM | Report abuse

"Nothing better to write about?"

You must be new here. Welcome!

Posted by: Kev29 | May 20, 2010 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: agl132 | May 20, 2010 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Exactly. I get it...makes perfect sense to me. But not surprisingly, my internet stalker Poopy_McPoop is not able to understand it. Course, the guy has been trying for 3-plus years now to make a relevant point on these blogs and has come up short, literally, every single time. I guess when you have the IQ of a toaster, it's not easy making sense to anyone other than yourself eh Poop?

Posted by: Barno1 | May 20, 2010 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I actually get it. When someone is a top-tier competitor, they want to play against the best. Beating Duke has given GV a ton of credibility. And Duke fans may dislike him, but in force they respected him. Coach K the ratface runs a clean program with players who stay for three and four years. I remember hearing it from Duke fans that GV was one of the great ones before I hopped on the GV bandwagon this season.

We split the tournament winnings. And I've said previously, UNC was always the bigger evil when I was in school in terms of competition (fielding the NBA all-star team every year) and UVA is and will always remain the enemy.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | May 20, 2010 3:57 PM | Report abuse

This loses just a hair of credibitily without a quote from GV, don't you think? God, this stuff is PRECISELY what they ground into us at Maryland as being completedly unworthy of print. No counter perspective. GRADE: F

Fook Dook.

Posted by: 3rdGenRFan | May 20, 2010 8:14 PM | Report abuse

Ok Hugh, now i'm supposed to call you juvenile insults for respecting duke. Well, at least in Poopy's demented world.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 20, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Well, since at least two of you are claiming this is a non-newsworthy non-legitimate story, let me just say this.

I don't really think it matters much whether Greivis does or does not like Duke. I do, however, think it's interesting. It was on several sites on Wednesday, and I listened to the audio, and Hairston -- who obviously knows Greivis -- wasn't joking or laughing. So I posted it, because I thought some of my readers might also find it interesting.

If he had, say, accused Greivis or spitting in the faces of puppies, I would certainly have attempted to get a comment from the other side. Since all he did was note that Greivis told him he likes Duke, I'm not sure that multiple perspectives are required.

I'd submit that there are plenty of things wrong with the news media in 2010, but posting publicly aired quotes from a radio interview about college basketball fandom is pretty far down that list.

Posted by: DanSteinberg1 | May 20, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

I think it's an interesting story. I don't think it's controversial or surprising, at least not from my perspective. Like I said, I respect Duke and Coach K, even if I enjoy beating more than any other team.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 20, 2010 8:54 PM | Report abuse

go play on some railroad tracks barny0

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 21, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

But that's the keyboard cowboy for ya. Enjoy your Hot Carls barno.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 20, 2010 2:19 AM | Report abuse

go play on some railroad tracks barny0

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 21, 2010 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Hilarious. You gotta love Poopy complaining about other people being juvenile. I think the best part about Poopy is the unintentional comedy. When he actually tries to be funny, all you hear is crickets.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 21, 2010 4:16 PM | Report abuse

hey barno, your mom is so fat she wore a Malcolm X tshirt and a helicopter landed on her.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | May 21, 2010 8:40 PM | Report abuse