McNabb to No. 2 in NFL jersey sales

Since Sean Taylor's death, Chris Cooley has owned the most popular Redskins jersey, according to the NFLShop.com numbers. As Cooley suggested last week, and as I guessed when I saw several dozen McNabb jerseys at the draft day party, that era likely ended as soon as the Donovan McNabb trade was completed.

Too soon to say for sure, but the April sales numbers sure suggest as much. McNabb's Redskins jersey ranked second in the league in April sales, behind only Tim Tebow. This after McNabb didn't crack the top 25 a year ago, finishing behind his backup, Mike Vick.

Of course, this can't really be measured until a grace period ends, because no one had a McNabb Redskins jersey eight weeks ago, and so everyone who wants one immediately sends in an order. That would also explain why Vick passed McNabb a year ago; that, and whatever status you gain from wearing Vick on your back.

Regardless, it's been a tough spell for the locals in these national jersey sales rankings. After cracking the top 10 during his breakout season, Gilbert Arenas sales obviously have plummeted in recent years, and I'm not sure any Nat was ever very high on the list. Alex Ovechkin has become a staple at the top of the NHL list, and now McNabb is showing the potential to join him there.

(McNabb was the only Redskins player in the top 25, though there were five other guys from the NFC East. Every NFC East QB -- McNabb, Eli Manning, Kevin Kolb and Tony Romo -- were in the top 13.)

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 5, 2010; 8:45 PM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats , Redskins , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Caps race car wins
Next: Alex Ovechkin with a sheep

Comments

I never understand the whole jersey thing.. I mean, I'm as hardcore DC sports fan as there is and I don't own any jerseys of any of the teams. I support the city and the teams passionately though. For one, I think its stupid, because chances are that player will be on a different team in like two years and also what kind of grown man wears a jersey? But hey, that's just me.

Posted by: imfromdc88 | May 5, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree about a grown man wearing a jersey anywhere else, but it's cool at a game.

Posted by: themantoyou | May 6, 2010 12:36 AM | Report abuse

yall said the key word grown man can wear what he wants to wear. if he pays his money why cant he wear it because ur lame broke butt dont have the money to buy one. a tru fan buys what he or she wants because they are tru fans. how can u call urself a hardcore fan and u dont have a jersey lol gtf with that. ur a broke person who mad because u can just go out and buy a 100 plus jersey

Posted by: SMOKEONLYGREEN | May 6, 2010 3:29 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: SMOKEONLYGREEN | May 6, 2010 3:30 AM | Report abuse

Of COURSE Eagles fans raced out to scoop up Mike Vick's jersey last year . . . it just makes too much sense.

Posted by: jacktrickard | May 6, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I don't own a jersey and likely never will but the need to make fun of a fan wearing one says more about you than about said fan. As themantoyou so eloquently put it people are free to buy what they desire, provided of course that it is within the boundaries of the law.

Posted by: thedude1974 | May 6, 2010 9:44 AM | Report abuse

Tim Tebow? Really??

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 6, 2010 10:58 AM | Report abuse

If I pay for a jersey, I'm going to wear it anywhere I want regardless of what anyone thinks.

Posted by: linroy62 | May 6, 2010 11:31 AM | Report abuse

infromdc88, why do you feel that it is inappropriate for adults to where jersey's?
I own a couple of jerseys that I wear during the season whether it be at a game or at home since I can't always afford to go to games but I do want to support my fav team.
Just wondering what the fashion police has to say about that...

Posted by: luvdc808 | May 6, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

My Redskins #5 jersey will always be Colt Brennan. Period. Find another number Mc Nabb, not someone else's.

Posted by: memyselfI1 | May 6, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: memyselfI1 | May 6, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: memyselfI1 | May 6, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: memyselfI1 | May 6, 2010 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Please please let this be a real person's actual opinion. This is why I still love DC sports, more than a decade removed from living in the area.

Posted by: biggerthanjesus | May 11, 2010 12:35 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: memyselfI1 | May 6, 2010 5:33 PM

McNabb should find another number, "not someone else's?" I could understand that if he were wearing #47 but #5? Please! If I'm going to make that that argument it's going to be for a guy who's actually played more NFL snaps than I have. My NFL snaps: 0. Colt Brennen's NFL snaps: 0.

Posted by: largetony86 | May 13, 2010 7:18 AM | Report abuse