McNabb wants to end career in Washington

(By John McDonnell - TWP)

Donovan McNabb's arrival in Washington added yet another star to the "but will he sign an extension?" queue. Will Adam Dunn sign an extension? Will Nicklas Backstrom sign an extension? Will McNabb sign an extension?

The men have different stock answers. Here, for example, was Dunn, discussing the possibility of an extension on ESPN 980's The Sports Fix last week.

"I have no idea," Dunn said. "That's not my area. I go out and play, and whatever's gonna happen is gonna happen. I'm sure we'll try to sit down and work something out. there's a lot of time. i mean, there's no rush for that. If it happens, cool, if it doesn't, I move on."

Donovan McNabb took a slightly more enthusiastic approach a few days later. He was on with the Sports Junkies during his radio tour to promote high blood pressure awareness, and John Auville put it to him bluntly.

"I bought my kid an $80 Donovan McNabb jersey," he said. "I don't want that to be in the clearance rack in like a year."

"I feel your excitement, and I'm right behind you," McNabb said. "I look forward to being able to extend my contract and hopefully end my career here. And at this particular point, obviously there's some writing in the contract of when you'd be able to do that, but things will happen. Things will happen. And we will take our steps when the time comes and be able to handle that situation.

"You know, obviously can't communicate [about] contracts, but I look forward to getting that done. The team looks forward to getting it done. So your $80 jersey won't go to waste. I will be in Washington. And your son will wear it proudly, and we'll get you one as well."

Sure, it's just a radio interview promoting high blood pressure awareness, but that didn't seem very equivocal. McNabb also said he and Albert Haynesworth continue to exchange text messages, and he refused to take any offered bait about the previous front-office situation in Washington.

"You know, I think a lot of times, what I went through in Philly, people may look [from] the outside at a negative aspect of things," he said. "I look at this organization, with ownership, with a let's win now mentality, and I think when you bring in a head coach that's had that type of success, and bringing in a veteran quarterback and a veteran wide receiver, and having some experience in key positions, I think it displays the type of approach which they're trying to bring.

"I was very excited when the trade happened. Obviously there were some other teams that I wouldn't have minded going to, the Buffalos and Oaklands, but when it was told to me that Washington made the trade and things were kind of in hand, I was excited. And that was part of the reason why when I flew in, to stay a couple weeks and work with these guys and communicate with them in the locker room."

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 17, 2010; 9:13 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Clint Didier's Redskins-themed campaign video
Next: Smoot says McNabb will love D.C.

Comments

Is there anything not to like about McNabb? Classy guy....we have been missing this type of player since Darrell Green retired

Posted by: psock1 | May 17, 2010 10:14 AM | Report abuse

McNabb almost blows me away with how hehandles himself. Like Pudge with the Nats, he brings a lot more than just experience. Plus, he's 6 years younger too!

Posted by: shanks1 | May 17, 2010 10:59 AM | Report abuse

I loved Jason Campbell's heart and effort. But this team has missed this type of consumate pro for many years.

Hard not to like this change - I hope Donavan still wants to win as badly as we do!

Posted by: reindeerterp | May 17, 2010 11:43 AM | Report abuse

"McNabb wants to end career in Washington"

With the Redskins offensive line, he might be getting his wish around Week 3.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 17, 2010 12:34 PM | Report abuse

"McNabb wants to end career in Washington"

With the Redskins offensive line, he might be getting his wish around Week 3.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 17, 2010 12:34 PM

I hope you're wrong Kev. Is there any chance that our O line performed worse because our offense was so predictable? Defenses could just tee off on us. I seem to recall some comments from some players indicating that the new offense is so much more versatile and less predictable.
Oops. Let me wipe the Kook Aid off my chin.

Posted by: mj25 | May 17, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

"McNabb wants to end career in Washington"

With the Redskins offensive line, he might be getting his wish around Week 3.

Posted by: Kev29 | May 17, 2010 12:34 PM

Good one Kev! Way to stay original!!!

Posted by: clwalker1906 | May 17, 2010 2:51 PM | Report abuse

McNabb is the McMan!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | May 17, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I can remember years ago saying that I wish that we had a QB like McNabb. Now McNabb is here and da Skins is about to get busy. For years our Offense has fell behind our Defense. If it wasn't for our Defense last year sh*t, we might have only won 2 games, but all that is over now. McNabb made nobodys look good in Philly and now he has good quality young talent around him. I really believe in our O-Line this year. One thing that Shanahan knows how to do well is build a great O-line. I can't wait til week 1 when McNabb carves up dat Dallas defense. Cooley and Davis on da field together. Devin Thomas will have his best year this year. Clinton is playing with a chip on his shoulder and Larry Johnson is our new banging RB. We haven't had a bruising RB since Steven Davis left. Mike and Kyle Shanahan are going to have our offense the best its been in years. The old Redskins being at the bottom of the division days are over. Da Skins are here to reclaim our spot back at the top of the division. GO SKINS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: louloudekdek1 | May 18, 2010 8:55 AM | Report abuse

This is going to be a fun few years to watch football. I am sure not missing your Jay Schroeders and Danny Warfuls now . . .

Posted by: Corvis777 | May 18, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse