Nationals scoreboard goes dark

(Photo by Cheryl Nichols)

The stench of failure has long since lifted from Nats Park, and there's no need to cast any particular single-day malady as sign of some larger problem. So I'll just post these photos because they're kind of amusing, and not in the spirit of meanness or abuse or general nastiness.

As you've likely heard, the scoreboard went kaput at some point on Tuesday night. Two years ago, you'd have made a joke about how this at least spared fans the heartache of seeing the final tally. But nowadays, dang if you wouldn't want to know what's going on. They're 14-12, after all. The scores are usually on the good side.

Some insta-reaction to the outage:

From Braves fan Dex Badgett: The Nationals may be winning, but at least our scoreboard works!

From the AP's Joseph White: Nats winning, but fans bummed out that team's pride & joy -- the big high-def scoreboard -- has gone blank. They have to watch the game now!

From the Examiner's Brian McNally: Nats Park crowd boos the big HD scoreboard here, which has been shorting out all night. It's basically 0-for-5 with 4 Ks at this point.

From Mark Zuckerman's Mark Zuckerman: The Nats Park PA guy is now announcing the count after every pitch, since the scoreboard remains out.

From Nadia Wajid: Someone in stands actually asked how they were supposed two know how many outs there were. Um, watch the game? Just a suggestion.

From some person named Andrew: The scoreboard at Nats Park keeps on flickering in & out. I halfway expect that it's going to come back on with Moonlight Graham's stats.

From Adam Kilgore: The video board at Nats Park has gone black. Need to consult @dcsportsbog if this constitutes a Nats Fail.

Nah, Adam. Teams on the right side of .500 don't suffer through Fail. Just because you expect this of me, though, here are a few more pics. They're all via @cnichols14, @jakespain, @williambeutler, @danaciz and @nat_meg.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 4, 2010; 10:36 PM ET
Categories:  Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Was this the worst year of D.C. sports?
Next: Caps feel bad for the city

Comments

god forbid people watch the game...or keep score themselves...

now that every other sport is done, better hope these things keep falling into your lap dan or you may be laid off. its not like you could do any actual investigation or reporting

Posted by: formerlylove1 | May 4, 2010 10:52 PM | Report abuse

fomerlylove1,

A bit sensitive, are we?

Posted by: blindskateluke | May 4, 2010 11:50 PM | Report abuse

Do braves fans really want their scoreboards to work these days? I think we were doing them a favor.

Posted by: southpaw11 | May 5, 2010 12:10 AM | Report abuse

The best part of the "fan experience" is the winning. The Lerners should be sure that the cost of fixing the scoreboard doesn't get in the way of signing upcoming draft pick Bryce Harper.

+1/2St.

Posted by: kevincostello | May 5, 2010 5:24 AM | Report abuse

sounds like someone tripped over the video and/or power cable :)

maybe someone could hand the Lerner's a roll of duct tape to tape the cables down so passer's by don't trip and hurt themselves, oh, and knock out the board.

Posted by: Rogueone | May 5, 2010 7:05 AM | Report abuse

I am with formerlylove1 on people watching the game on their own. The scoreboard is like an eye magnate and its addictive. But keeping score your self... thats just sad.

Posted by: alex35332 | May 5, 2010 7:52 AM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Miller Lite and Coca-Cola! and Post and PNC kinda.

Posted by: longterm | May 5, 2010 8:21 AM | Report abuse

Actually, this is a relief to me. While watching the game at home I could hear the PA announcer saying the count after every pitch and it was driving me bonkers. I thought it was some new weird thing they were doing at the Park so I'm relieved to hear the dark scoreboard is the reason that was happening.

That said, when Dunn walked on a 3-1 pitch in (I think) the 7th, MASN2 had the count 2-2 but I could hear the PA guy had said 3 balls, 1 strike as I also thought the count was 3-1 based on the game I was watching.

Maybe the Nats PA guy could work MASN's pitch clicker? At least he's paying attention.

Posted by: ryaneades | May 5, 2010 8:52 AM | Report abuse

I hope the lerner's opted for the 4 year buyer protection plan on that HD LCD

Posted by: dpmredwing | May 5, 2010 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Can the Lerners sue the city for this?

Posted by: rademaar | May 5, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

Personally, I was watching at home and I thought it greatly improved the look of Nationals Park. From garish - to ballparkish.

alex35332 - guess we know one person who's never learned how to keep score. Sorry you don't get baseball.

Posted by: bflorhodes | May 5, 2010 9:27 AM | Report abuse

I was at this game last night. When it first went out no one booed. Only the second time it went out were there any booing.

I laughed when I found out the Nats org is charging $1 for pencils so people can keep score. Next they'll be searching you to make sure you don't bring in your own writing utencil. lol

Nats look good. We've always had good hitting just needed the pitching to match.

Posted by: HanMy | May 5, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Hopefully they'll have it fixed tonight. Maybe someone ran a Windows update and it malfunctioned. Either that or someone clicked on the wrong link and downloaded a virus.

Posted by: bharvey67 | May 5, 2010 10:08 AM | Report abuse

On the serious side, it was annoying to have the board out because last night's home plate ump was not very expressive with his pitch calling--from Sec 312, I couldn't tell if he was calling a ball or strike. I think he held up his hands with the count just once or twice.

Posted by: ramgut | May 5, 2010 10:39 AM | Report abuse

Just performing scheduled maintenance ... changing out some of the old pixels.

Posted by: qball43 | May 5, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse