Obama on John Wall

John Wall has had a relationship of sorts with Barack Obama since January, when the President called John Calipari and his Kentucky Wildcats to thank them for raising more than $1 million for Haiti.

"Hello Mr. President this is John Wall," the point guard said during the call.

"I've been watching you," Obama answered.

"Yes sir," Wall said. "I'd like to invite you to Lexington for a game, and maybe if you get there early enough we can play a little bit of HORSE."

"I'm not gonna play HORSE with you, because I don't want to lose and then you'll have bragging rights for a long time," Obama said to laughter.

Wall has mentioned Obama in at least three interviews since the Wizards won the draft lottery, saying "that's my homeboy right there" of the President. And when Obama sat down with Marv Albert for an interview about all things NBA, he returned the favor.

"[John] Wall is a terrific player. He's got NBA speed, NBA body, great jump shot, unselfish, really impressive. There's only upside for that kid. And I think it'd be great for him to come to Washington.

I became very close to Abe Pollin, who was a great supporter, he and his wife. He just passed away recently, but there's an example of a guy who constantly gave back to his community. I mean, almost single-handedly, he invested in downtown Washington at a time when it was in really bad shape, and you know, generated huge affection in this city and it was wonderful to see his widow there getting that number one pick. I only wish the best for that franchise."

So first he lobbies for LeBron to leave Cleveland, and then he doesn't even mention Evan Turner. Somebody wants to lose Ohio in 2012.

Anyhow, Wall also noticed the praise, and responded via Twitter:

Thanks president Obama for the shoutout!!!

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 25, 2010; 9:23 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Would you trade Strasburg for Lincecum?
Next: McNabb moves to Great Falls

Comments

Total moron we have for a prez. This guy doesn't even no Pollins' "widow's" name. Moron. And he's gofling while animals are dying in the oil spilled. Does he even know he is presidnet?

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | May 25, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Total moron we have for a prez. This guy doesn't even (no) Pollins' "widow's" name. Moron. (And) he's (gofling) while animals are dying in the oil (spilled). Does he even know he is (presidnet)?

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | May 25, 2010 10:04 PM | Report abuse
Hey Poop why dopn't you do a spell check before you call someone educated a moron! Wow your idiotic rant is hard to even read!! SMH

Posted by: clwalker1906 | May 25, 2010 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Cl, the dude may not know how to spell but he does make a good point. Enough already with Obama and hoops he is just another jock sniff who thinks he can run. Stick to the business at hand Mr. Prez and let the people who know how to play ball play ball.

Posted by: efdelaney | May 25, 2010 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | May 25, 2010 10:04
_____________________________

Yeah, but I bet he "knows" Pollin's widows' name is Irene & I really bet he knows he is the "President."

Posted by: tony325 | May 25, 2010 11:35 PM | Report abuse

and he's gofling while animals are dying in the oil spilled.
Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | May 25, 2010 10:04
_________________________

Oh, I missed this one... SO WHAT?? He's the President!!!! Is he supposed to be out there picking up oily ducklings & wiping them off while the cameras run & he proclaims "Mission Accomplished!"

Posted by: tony325 | May 25, 2010 11:53 PM | Report abuse

i can't believe people hate on obama so much...it's like 2000-2008 never existed.

Posted by: BMACattack | May 26, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Hey, Poopy, I guess if you were President you would spend 24/7 personally fixing every problem in the world. But then when would you find time to poop?

Posted by: justmike | May 26, 2010 2:21 AM | Report abuse

Who gives a phuque?

We have a Kenyan talking to a kid basketball player.

Who really gives a phuque?

Posted by: JohnMD1022 | May 26, 2010 6:33 AM | Report abuse

So Bush can throw out a pitch at a yankee game a few days after 9/11 but Obama can't comment on basketball? You idiots can't even hide your bias. Get off his johnson and take your butts down to the coast and you help out for a change. Do something positive for your country instead critiquing the President's every move. He'll be Prez for 4 or 8 years, you'll be an American forever. Grow up.

Posted by: mpshannon1 | May 26, 2010 7:23 AM | Report abuse

Would've been even better if he'd pleaded LeBron to sign with the Wizards instead of the Bulls. I know where he's from, but THIS is his home now. How 'bout some love, Barry?

Posted by: nittanybruin | May 26, 2010 7:45 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | May 26, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

no...its more like 2000-2008 never ended...hes just as bad as bush if not worse. not that old man john would have been any better, worst election ever....

Posted by: ae3td | May 26, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: BMACattack | May 26, 2010 1:44 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ae3td | May 26, 2010 7:46 AM | Report abuse

Hey pooopy! I bet you werent saying that when u were spending that stimulus check? You sound like an OG triple OG!!!

Posted by: AntonioDeleon4@hotmail.com | May 26, 2010 8:00 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | May 25, 2010 10:04 PM

All - Fake Poopy post. The REAL Poopy_McPoop uses and underscore. This idiot just posts stuff to muck everything up. OGBarno is another fake poster to look out for. Its sad we need to look for an underscore versus a hyphen with this idiot. Note that I never have insulted anyone on these boards but the fake posters really get on my nerves.

Regards -

-hgr

Posted by: HughGRection | May 26, 2010 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Poopy-McPoop | May 25, 2010 10:04 PM

Nice try Barno. BTW, any luck losing your virginity?

Posted by: mack1 | May 26, 2010 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Obama needs to grow up. The cool president thing isn't a good image to project with 10% unemployment (although he told us that if the trillion dollar stimulus bill passed unemployment wouldn't reach 8%), multiple wars being conducted while Hillary Clinton intimates that North Korea may be next, mad men at this time trying to acquire nuclear weapons, and environmental damage to our shores over the last forty days that far exceeds anything in aggregate that happened during the previous eight years.

I guess if he talks basketball he's hoping to double down on his political base.

Posted by: c_e_daniel | May 26, 2010 9:08 AM | Report abuse

There was a leader of a foreign country who seemed the perfect example of a serious person. He did not drink or smoke. He was a vegetarian and devout Christian. He rarely took any time off for entertainment or sports. His name was Hitler.

Posted by: chopin224 | May 26, 2010 9:42 AM | Report abuse

man, I cannot wait to vote this guy out in 2012.

Posted by: emcb1230 | May 26, 2010 10:15 AM | Report abuse

Jeeze people, the press knows that President Obama loves sports. He is not an old gray fart with no other interests. He is my age and I conside myself still young with a life. If you all don't want to hear his opinions, then call your local news media and ask them to quit asking him questions regarding sports. If you ask him, he will respond with "his" opinion since that is what is asked. This has got to be the most complainingest negative blog I have ever read. Never happy with nothing or anyone. Full of negativity. Won't be long before whoever the first draft is will be on the cutting board. Damn!

Posted by: ivyleague | May 26, 2010 10:25 AM | Report abuse

Be careful what you wish for emcb1230. It may come true and not be all you hoped.

Posted by: ivyleague | May 26, 2010 10:27 AM | Report abuse

Regards -
-hgr
Posted by: HughGRection | May 26, 2010 8:38 AM
---------------------------
Hugh G gets my vote for best name on the boards. I know it's sophmoric, I laugh every time I see it.

Posted by: shanks1 | May 26, 2010 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Definitely fake poopy, as poopy is too confused to actually make a legitimate point about Obama golfing/attending fundraisers/commenting on basketball during the epically disastrous oil spill. Poopy is too slow to form a rationale thought like that.

This is not a political comment in any way...I would say the same for any president regardless of their political ideology: As an American, I am embarrassed that my president continues to go onto these entertainment networks like TNT and ESPN (and CBS during the NCAA tournament) and talk extensively about BASKETBALL during a time of war, during a time of economic instability both at home and across the world, and during the most serious oil spill in history.

This is ALL about his image...he feels this very strange need to continue to project himself as a sports fanatic (despite the plethora of evidence that he really doesn't follow sports closely at all. i.e not being able to name a single Chicago player from neither yesteryear nor today when he was put on the spot).

There is a reason his approval rating is now lower than any president in history this soon into a first term. There are now twice as many people who strongly disapprove of his job performance than those who strongly approve. Only 34% of Americans think he is doing a good job handling the oil spill. Only 42% of Americans approve even somewhat of the job he is doing overall as president. Yet he continues to go on tv and talk about basketball. In my opinion, there is something seriously wrong with this man's judgment.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 26, 2010 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I could care less what this idiot President thinks or says.

Posted by: jerod1 | May 26, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Obama will never do everything right in the eyes of every single American due to the fact that there are so many different ideologies, political views, cultures,etc. One can never say how a previous president would have handled any of the issues that Obama face today whether it be the BP oil spill, economics crisis,unemployment rate, or any other obstacle that the president face today because they are simply not in office. There is really no accurate way to compare a current president to any previous administration because they all have had to face the issues of their time period. Maybe if Obama was president in 1929 American wouldn't have been in a depression for 12 years because his managerial style would have differed from from president Hoover's or his style could have caused the depression to last for 20 years. One simply will never know. I ave learned a very important lesson while working in corporate America. The most certain thing is change. I have always had to adjust to a new manager because they each had there own ways of doing things whether I agreed or not. The point of my comment is that we all should pray that America can rebound and continue to be the leaders of the world and we all play a part. The president is only one person, but if AMERICA work together and not play the blame game then we will Persevere as we always have throughout the history of this great country.

Posted by: sirmixx01 | May 26, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Obama has jumped the shark.

Posted by: poguesmahone | May 26, 2010 12:27 PM | Report abuse

sirmixx01, You make some valid points but I think you misunderstood my comment--if that's what you were responding to. I am not blaming Obama for anything. Not the economy, not the oil spill, not the handling of the war. All I am really saying is I am embarrassed by him going on tv to talk about BASKETBALL during these crises. And how very odd it is that he continues to project himself a jock and sports fanatic when he has proven he is a phony in this regard. I mean, did you read Steinberg's piece on this: http://voices.washingtonpost.com/dcsportsbog/2010/04/obamas_flub_in_the_masn_booth.html

Obama couldn't name ANY chisox players, not from today, not from his many, many years living in Chicago. Yet projects himself as this big time Chicago Whitesox fan...that's just plain odd. And embarrassing. Instead of constantly worrying about his image, I wish he would be spend less time on trying to sell the public on his sports fanaticism and instead concentrated all that effort on the crises he and his administration are facing.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 26, 2010 1:04 PM | Report abuse

Boring news

Posted by: hessone | May 26, 2010 1:14 PM | Report abuse

Barno1: I was not responding to your comment. I agree with a lot of the things that you have mentioned. Although, I do not feel as strongly against Obama making appearances on tv talk shows and the like. I feel that it is a good way to connect with America due to a majority of Americans do watch those talk show. It is a great platform. We all take a break from work on the weekends, so he shouldn't be exempt from getting away from things and coming back refreshed and ready to go.I am not speaking from a Dem. point of views because I consider myself an Independent, so my words are not bias. I am just speaking in general terms. Basically, if George Bush or any other president faced the same conditions how would things have been handled? We will never know...

Posted by: sirmixx01 | May 26, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

@chopin224

“Hence today I believe that I am acting in accordance with the will of the Almighty Creator: by defending myself against the Jew, I am fighting for the work of the Lord.” - Adolph Hitler

You call this guy a christian? I don't think so.

Posted by: hessone | May 26, 2010 1:21 PM | Report abuse

True. Bush was criticized for taking so many trips to Crawford, TX during his administration. He was roundly criticized for being "aloof" during Katrina. My feeling is there shouldn't be a double standard for Obama. As the fake poopy said, he has been golfing and attending fundraisers and taking to the airwaves to talk about the playoffs and NBA draft. For me, that isn't just embarrassing, it's not right. He hasn't even visited the site of the spill. Remember how harshly criticized Bush was for only flying over the hurricane damage in a helicopter and not touching down on the ground? Obama hasn't even done a fly over.

This weekend he is skipping Memorial Day services at Arlington National Cemetery--unthinkable for a sitting president--to attend a Paul McCartney concert in Chicago! If this doesn't offend you, you are probably too partisan to be bothered by anything Obama does.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 26, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Barry would be one heck of a swimmer to visit the site of the spill.

What we really need is Biden's opinion on the NBA Draft. That dude is a fucn straight shooter

Posted by: jpfterps | May 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

"Barry would be one heck of a swimmer to visit the site of the spill."

You may not be a student of history but a long time ago, thousands upon thousands of years back, man made these inventions that allow you to travel by water without physically getting in the water. You may not have heard of them, but these watercrafts are called "boats." Larger ones are called "ships."

In my opinion, Obama need not swim to the site, if he's somehow able to gain access to one of these so called vessels.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 26, 2010 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"I became very close to Abe Pollin...."

Sure you did. You became close to his wallet...

Posted by: AsstGM | May 26, 2010 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Sweet! Another blurb on the internet about Obama and basketball! I've completely perfected my sarcastic 'doesn't he have better things to worry about' response by now. Here goes nothing!

Posted by: ReginaldSmash | May 26, 2010 3:11 PM | Report abuse

Boats, wow, who knew. Not sure what he'd see from there, try looking into the Chesapeake 30 yards from shore and see if you can see more than 4 feet down.

Posted by: jpfterps | May 26, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

When I read some of these comments, its evident that some of you were always last to be picked in kickball and dodgeball and went to the prom with your mom.... Get a life and stop hating and complaining all the time on everything.

Posted by: jayjordan1 | May 26, 2010 3:13 PM | Report abuse

What a crock! Who cares what the president says about this and why is this it even getting press time! He needs to stop getting involved in non government matters and concentrate on running the country! Start by taking some real action to fix the oil spill as opposed to sitting on the sidelines and talking about basketball players!

Posted by: larmur57 | May 26, 2010 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Dam right! He's obviously done nothing whatsoever for the last week but get on tv and talk about basketball all day and all night! Every time I look at any channel, all I see is Obama talking about basketball! Why can't he be more like our revered former President who never stopped working at his job until every Mission was Accomplished???

Posted by: justmike | May 26, 2010 4:03 PM | Report abuse

"Boats, wow, who knew. Not sure what he'd see from there, try looking into the Chesapeake 30 yards from shore and see if you can see more than 4 feet down"

Yeah, presidents have no obligation to visit disaster sites. There's no reason to do so, least of which would be assuring the public you are taking this seriously and getting an up close look at what we are dealing with. He should just go on with his golfing, daily appearances on tv to talk bball, fundraisers, and concerts. Heck, he didn't cause the oil spill why should he present himself as deeply concerned about it when the NBA playoffs are just starting to get interesting!

Posted by: Barno1 | May 26, 2010 4:05 PM | Report abuse

I became very close w/ Abe Pollin and his lovely wife, what's her name...

Posted by: randysbailin | May 26, 2010 5:33 PM | Report abuse