Portis criticizes LaVar over Sean Taylor funeral

Clinton Portis and LaVar Arrington have certainly taken their shots at each other over the past three months. First Portis seemed to ding LaVar for being obsessed with status, saying the former linebacker "gave back $15, 20 million to leave D.C., because he felt like he wasn't the main money guy, because everybody was getting [paid]."

Then Arrington fired back, talking passionately and at great length about leadership and history, and saying "If I understood how much [Bobby Mitchell] had to go through to be where he was at in his life, I would not dress up as a fairy to try to get attention from the media. I would not do that. Knowing what this represents, I would not do that."

But the ugliest turn came only recently, when Portis lashed out at Arrington for speaking at Sean Taylor's funeral during an interview with Arrington's radio station. This, folks, is not going to make things any better. Like, I can almost guarantee they're not Facebook friends.

"I lost a lot of respect for LaVar at that moment, speaking at Sean's funeral. To get up, I really thought that was, um, I don't know what you call that. LaVar ain't know Sean like that....

"I remember me and Sean was going to jump LaVar, you know, for throwing pie at Sean's face his rookie year, and trying to haze Sean, and be the tough guy. He felt like it was a joke. We didn't like that [stuff]. For all the attention LaVar claim, and that him and Sean was cool -- they wasn't cool. Sean ain't [mess around] with LaVar....I don't think you should do that. If you cool with somebody, or you know somebody, you knew 'em. Don't go and portray, set out an image like 'this is your buddy, this is your pal,' like you all hung, when y'all really didn't. I don't think that's fair, man."

Arrington's speech that day seemed powerful to a lot of listeners, and seemed to signal a return to the burgundy flock for the former fan favorite. And the Sean Taylor issue never fails to elicit strong feelings from everyone involved. In other words, powder keg, meet raging blowtorch.

Arrington is apparently going to respond to these comments on Thursday afternoon. At some point, though, people might just want to stop responding to each other, because I don't think I want to see where this goes next.

There are several more interesting passages in the interview with Chris Russell, which you should read in full, but I was especially taken by Portis's discussion of the Obama administration.

"I don't dream about being anybody else. I don't dream to switch shoes with Obama and see how it is to be President. I know he got a lot going on.

"You look at the economy today, and where the economy at, and how many more smiles people have, compared to a couple of years ago when everybody was doing bad. That alone should say, 'You should be praising President Obama.' Every time you turn on the news and it's like, He needs to be out of here, when is the next election?, and He didn't do this, or he didn't do that. Think about the stuff he did do. He can't do everything in one day.

"I say be yourself, man, be content with being yourself. Stop having so much negativity, and wanting to be others and wanting to trade shoes. You never know what your shoes are going to have in them. You might have on a new pair of shoes, but your feet could stink. How can I say I want your shoes?"

That's sort of profound, actually. Except I believe that, deep down, underneath it all, everyone's feet stink.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 6, 2010; 8:46 AM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Alex Ovechkin with a sheep
Next: Bryce Harper jersey at Nats Park

Comments

As someone who had a friend pass and was similarly angered by someone who barely had a relationship with said friend trying to represent himself as close during the funeral, I actually feel Portis on this one, assuming that he knows as much as he claims. His comments about the President were spot on as well.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | May 6, 2010 9:17 AM | Report abuse

That's sort of profound, actually.

---------------------------------------------

Yes. The sort of profound that's not at all profound.

Posted by: RiverOtis | May 6, 2010 9:21 AM | Report abuse

Where's Brian Fantana when you need him?

Posted by: Section117 | May 6, 2010 9:35 AM | Report abuse

You know, I don't know much about Clinton's personal life over the years, but he always seems like a pretty soft spoken, passive kind of guy. Sean kind of seemed the same way off the field. In fact, despite "The U's" reputation, all of them who have recently been Redskins seem to go against that mold. So I can kind of get it that they got their feelings hurt when big bad Nittany Lion LaVar pulled some hazing prank on them. That's kind of what I'm hearing when I read Clinton's remarks. But let it go, man. Don't roll out your dead friend's funeral as a way to hold a grudge over locker room BS. That's low.

Now, go run for 1,500 yards. Please.

Posted by: LouLewis | May 6, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

willie parker, LJ and Portis will not combine for 1000 yards this season.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | May 6, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Why is Portis even getting air time on the radio, it is for ratings so people tune into LaVar's show? Portis is probably #3 on the RB depth chart right now and I would not be surprised if he is waived before the season even begins, how about talking to Donovan or Shanahan or one of the draft picks...someone who is relevant.

Posted by: markfd | May 6, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is a raging moron. And I'm a Democrat.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | May 6, 2010 9:50 AM | Report abuse

Clinton Portis is a raging moron. And I'm a Democrat.

Posted by: MarylanDChris | May 6, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

Did Gilbert defecate in one of Clinton's shoes?

Posted by: rdpinva | May 6, 2010 10:05 AM | Report abuse

willie parker, LJ and Portis will not combine for 1000 yards this season.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | May 6, 2010 9:41 AM

Possibly the dumbest thing I have read here. And that is really saying something.

Posted by: MDterpfan | May 6, 2010 10:23 AM | Report abuse

Athletes never sound intelligent talking about politics but sometimes they sound coherent. Portis' ramble was neither. What a joke

Posted by: JDP_ | May 6, 2010 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Portis should leave the politics to someone else

Posted by: JDB1 | May 6, 2010 10:34 AM | Report abuse

I too have been in a situation where a close friend passed away, and a few others who weren't exactly that close decided to put themselves in the spotlight for their own purposes - whatever they were. I understand.

As for his other comments, they're quite random and all over the place, but you have to admit that this guy is pretty freakin' funny. He just likes to speak his mind, yet uses no filter whatsoever. In some cases, it's caused trouble, but in this case it's entertaining.

Posted by: skinsfan11 | May 6, 2010 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Love you CP, don't ever change bro. And I'm a republican.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 6, 2010 11:03 AM | Report abuse

political advice from sheriff gonna get cha?

Posted by: _stevo | May 6, 2010 11:25 AM | Report abuse

it really is quite the indictment of our modern society that someone as stupid and full of himself as portis is actually asked for his opinion on anything and gets paid millions of dollars a year.

at this point it should be time to start asking him random questions designed to see how stupid his answers can be.

Posted by: PindarPushkin | May 6, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

First, let me say Portis is an idiot. Based on everything I've seen and heard over under-whelming tenure as a Redskin, he is the most immature athlete I have observed. That includes Gilbert Arenas.

But....SHAME on Chris Russell. He knew exactly what he was doing by leading Portis in with the Lavar loves Sean Taylor comments. Whether this was of Russell's own initiative or if he was directed to do so by station management, it is an embarrassment. Welcome the 106.7, the TMZ of DC. This type of stuff is what will lead me back to 980 full time. I hope Lavar's only comment is along the lines that 26 can say and feel whatever he wants and that losing a friend is difficult on anyone. Leave it at that. Diffuse the situation and get back to talking sports, not 9th grade "I'm a better friend than you" bull s.

PS - can we please cut Portis? Please? The guy is an utter embarrassment.

Posted by: DisgustedinArlington | May 6, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

@MDTerpfan - why is it so dumb? Because they are all so good and in the middle of there prime right now? Please explain.....

I did laugh at your response!

Posted by: capsfansince74 | May 6, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

Chris Russell (and Mike Wise) were the reason I stopped listening to 1067 after years of supporting the station.

also, I remember watching ST21's funeral service, and cringing when Lavar got up to speak. he complete made it all about himself, and his relationship with the Skins. I believe he used the phrase "bury the hatchet". It was completely self indulgent of him, and I agree with CP here.

also, "How can I say I want your shoes?" is pretty funny.

Posted by: VTUnited | May 6, 2010 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Again,

Please stop quoting Portis.

His english makes my head hurt.

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 6, 2010 12:46 PM | Report abuse

sigh.... Portis is a moron, an entertaining moron, but still a moron.

He and LaVar should both drop it.

Posted by: jweaks | May 6, 2010 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I have to agree with Ray,

Can we quit quoting Portis. I have no idea what half of his quote even meant. Horrible English and an even worse running back. I bet he has a problem with LJ, who will take his job, because he was from PSU.

Posted by: duckie86 | May 6, 2010 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Wow ! Portis definitely needs some English lessons. He should really just shut his mouth, talking about other people, he is a regular offender of that. Maybe he'll get cut....we could only WISH.

Posted by: meac355@yahoo.com | May 6, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I wish Arrington would just shut up and never mention the Redskins again. He is an idiot! He hates the Skins so don't talk about them anymore or anyone who is or has been on the team!

Posted by: ladyredskins | May 6, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

I think it's kind of sad that Sean Taylor's memory has to be brought into this feud at all. If the two don't get along - and that seems like an understatement - then let them deal with that and keep Sean Taylor's memory out of it. I can understand Portis's feelings but maybe there was more to the relationship between Lavar and Sean than he knows - so let that lie as a personal matter. I agree that Obama deserves way more recognition for his accomplishments in a tough time than he's received though the whole 'shoe' thing is pretty wierd. As far as both Portis and Arrington, I think both of them need to dial back their egos about a million notches - the whole thing between the two of them makes them BOTH look pretty bad - grow up.

Posted by: whelms1 | May 6, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Sounds like two over the hill wasters trying too hard to remain relevant by picking a fight with each other.

Next: Ali vs Frazier, 2010

Posted by: Vic1 | May 6, 2010 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Let's put responsibility where it belongs -- on Dan Snyder. From day one, he set into motion a collapse of moral structure and loss of integrity within the organization, mostly with his big-money-spending, feed-the-egos approach to "team building."

I've commented repeatedly that THIS is the problem with the team, not a lack of key positions, coaching, etc. We've had great coaches and great players with little to show for it. Hmmm.....

How could anyone perform on the field successfully in the midst of this crap? And this is only what we are getting -- imagine what we never hear. Even Campbell upon leaving said something like, "Some days you look around here, and it's just crazy what goes on." Think about that.

So, to me, this blather is just another reason to believe nothing has changed, and Shanahan, McNabb, Williams, and the others won't make much if any difference.

Regardless of Portis being "right" or not, a smart organization would put a lid on this garbage. If I went out and talked about current or former co-workers to the press like this, I'd be fired, as would most anyone in any sane organization. It should be no different in the House of Dan.

Posted by: Andrew53 | May 6, 2010 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Do they actually teach any classes in English at the "U"
How does a person get into the "U" without some command of the English language?
Portis makes Emmit Smith sound like a PhD.Lit in comparison.
It gives me a great idea!
Instead of an ESL school,I will start an MSP school
-Match Singulars and Plurals for nouns and verbs etc.
The language that Portis speaks is not Ebonics.
It's just dumbass lazy talk

Posted by: norhosp | May 6, 2010 1:22 PM | Report abuse

It is sad how low the literacy level is among highly compensated, highly visible NFL athletes. I admire Clinton Portis' talent and hard work on the field. But it is painful to read what he writes. As far as the "battle" between Portis and Arrington, they seem to be acting like a pair of 12 year old girls who hate each other.

Posted by: expatde | May 6, 2010 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Look, all I want to say is Sean was a great player who, unfortunately, never got to reach his full potential. Let the young brother rest in peace and let's simply remember him as the gladiator and loving father he was. Cool?

Posted by: raymondhaynesworth | May 6, 2010 1:33 PM | Report abuse

willie parker, LJ and Portis will not combine for 1000 yards this season.

Posted by: capsfansince74 | May 6, 2010 9:41 AM | Report abuse

I did laugh at your response!

Posted by: capsfansince74 | May 6, 2010 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I'll give you 3 to 1 odds on this. We can figure out a way to secure the payment from either side after I see if you're willing to take my offer and put your money where your mouth is.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 6, 2010 1:44 PM | Report abuse

There are no winners in this battle. Someone other than LaVar made the decision to have LaVar speak at Sean Taylor's funeral. Why didn't CP address that point? It was a well-organized service, and LaVar wasn't the only speaker pushing their own agenda. I think it is sad that their war of words has devolved to the point where whether or not LaVar was cool with Sean is a point of contention between LaVar and CP. Portis' best days are well behind him, and zone blocking scheme or no, I will be surprised if he hasn't been cut by the season opener. The Skins have brought in so many players at the skill positions for training camp positional battles. I fully expect LJ to beat Portis, and Parker might too. Portis needs to work harder and run his mouth less. LaVar needs to let this go, but I'm sure he won't. I have to admit that I wish I could catch his comments, but I won't be able to do so. This needs to end sometime. I disagree that this is Snyder's fault beyond his brain dead decision to get ripped off by trading Champ Bailey, still one of the top 10 corners in the NFL, for CP. I didn't like the trade then, and I really don't like it now.

Posted by: orangeskin | May 6, 2010 1:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ladyredskins | May 6, 2010 1:13 PM | Report abuse

Amen. I was once a huge fan of Arringtons, as I was of Brian Mitchell as well. Too bad these guys have found their niche in the post-playing career in beating up on the Redskins. They call it "honest analysis." I call it "holding a grudge" and "settling a score."

Posted by: Barno1 | May 6, 2010 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Portis needs to take his drama, his poor running ability, and his large salary and go some where. I'd say the same for Lavar, but he already did that years ago.

Posted by: jmmills20 | May 6, 2010 1:53 PM | Report abuse

When are they waiting so long to CUT Portis

Posted by: rmart2817 | May 6, 2010 2:03 PM | Report abuse

I cringe with shame every time I hear of these athletes speak "English", what a waste of the human brain, I listen all day to these Graduates who can't place plural and singular verbs in the right order. It should be a crime punishable by high fines. people say idiotic things like: "we is boys" "We is cool". The word "is" and "we" never ever go together!!!

Posted by: zimife1999 | May 6, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

perhaps these big $$$$$ fools get for playing a game could spend some on an ESL course.

Posted by: pofinpa | May 6, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

In the words of the principle from Knibb High in Billy Madison: "Mr. [Portis], what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul."

Posted by: ScoGrass | May 6, 2010 2:40 PM | Report abuse

I cringe with shame every time I hear of (sic) these athletes speak "English",(sic) what a waste of the human brain,(sic) I listen all day to these Graduates(sic) who can't place plural and singular verbs in the right order. It should be a crime punishable by high fines. people(sic) say idiotic things like: "we is boys"(sic) "We is cool". The word "is" and "we" never ever go together!!!

Posted by: zimife1999 | May 6, 2010 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I suppose it takes an illiterate to know an illiterate.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 6, 2010 3:52 PM | Report abuse

What's more embarrassing, being a member of the Redskins organization whenever Portis opens his mouth, or one of the professor at "the U" that helped him graduate?

Posted by: dmr0834 | May 6, 2010 4:23 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ladyredskins | May 6, 2010 1:13 PM
That's just so wrong! It was Port Jester who put LaVar's name in his mouth.. all he did was respond to Port Belly's personal, incoherent attack by playing the Sean Taylor sympathy card. Low class!

Posted by: iubiquity | May 6, 2010 5:46 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: expatde | May 6, 2010 1:29 PM |

LMAO! Talent? Hard work? Surely you jest! Good pass protector, that's about it. As a runner he accomplished virtually nothing. I maintain he was the most overrated back in the NFC! Very low character profie and full of himself! Remember he defended Vick's dog mutilation crusade?

Posted by: iubiquity | May 6, 2010 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Portis and LaVar are both idiots. Neither can string 2 sentences together that are intellegent. How many duh's can you get in a paragraph. This is why college football should be banned. If you can't spell cat after at least 2 years of college---get out. Obama ain't gonna send you and yo momma any money fools. Leave that idiot out of it.....

Posted by: MrBinx | May 6, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Is Clinton Portis going to spend another season blaming Sean Taylor's death for his troubles and casting another pall over the Redskins lockerroom. Taylor was a gifted player in his all too brief career and it is a shame he was murdered. But he was not Darrel Green, or Joe Theismann, or Larry Brown, or Sammy Baugh, or a number of others players who made huge contributions to the Skins over the years. Portis ran shabbily last season, dropped passes during games, and was out of shape, while refusing to practice. Portis should fix his own performance and let Sean Taylor rest in peace.

Posted by: ronsarromsncom | May 6, 2010 11:16 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: ronsarromsncom | May 6, 2010 11:17 PM | Report abuse

Where did this "jerk" Portis go to school?

He can barely speak English, let alone pot blogs.

His days in a Redskin uniform are few.
He'd fit right in with the Obama cabinet.

Posted by: jwz13060 | May 7, 2010 7:36 AM | Report abuse

A man does not put his family in jeopardy or live in neighborhood where their safety is in question. Taylor played the macho idiot and went to see what was going on with a machete. Bright move. Correct move was to remain with SO and daughter and protect them and dial 911 and wait for the cops. Wasn't his dad a cop? He should have at least had a nice Glock, Sig, etc and taken training so he could defend his family. Taylor had the assets to ensure his family was protected. This was the second break in. A man doesn't put his family in danger by keeping them there.
Since pro athletes are target professional teams and the respective leagues should provide training in personal defense etc.
At the very least it is the pro athletes job to protect himself, his family and his tangible assets. Instead we get off duty cops acting as pimps and enablers for serial rapists scumbag QBs. Not good PR.

Posted by: sheepherder | May 7, 2010 11:10 AM | Report abuse

what a stupid battle b/t these two. Both really need to shut up. I'm a CP fan and LaVar fan.. and die hard Skins fan. i feel that both have really gotten the shaft while in DC. They should be united in the fact that both have sickening potential that was never exploited or maximized due to the politics within the organization...

On that note. Portis should keep his political opinions quiet. When someone (actually educated) like myself hears that kind of ignorance/ nonsense it makes me want NOTHING to do with him (Portis). He is wrong about Pres Obama... this isn't my opinion, its factual. The level of ignorance is mind boggling. All passion and no brains... typical of most Obama supporters.

disclaimer - THIS ISN'T RACIAL. I'm in full support of a black president. I just want one that truly represents the AMERICAN people.

Posted by: RHorwat | May 8, 2010 5:32 PM | Report abuse