Redskins moving toward gold pants?

Redskins fans care deeply about the uniforms their team uses. This is clear. ESPN 980's Kevin Sheehan and Steve Czaban both understand this very well, and talk about the subject ceaselessly.

And when Sheehan had Bruce Allen on the radio Thursday afternoon, he hammered the GM on the subject. The audio is here, and it makes things pretty clear that yes, gold pants -- as in the George Allen era -- are on their way back.

(Note: Rick Maese is apparently trying to get into the Redskins radio interview transcription business. His take is here.)

Sheehan: I don't think this would be any kind of state secret, but have you decided or has Mike Shanahan decided what you're gonna wear at home this year, uniform-wise?

Allen: Yes, we have discussed that. And are you asking about the gold pants?

Sheehan: Well, I want to hear what you say, and then I'll follow up.

Allen (laughing): I'm looking at a beautiful pair of gold pants right here in my office right now, in that new office.

Sheehan: Are you gonna wear burgundy and gold at home like your father's teams?

Allen: I'm very proud of our team colors, and you will see our team colors on display.

Sheehan: So burgundy and gold at home?

Allen: Well, you will see our team colors on display.

Sheehan: So that means we get gold back into the picture?

Allen: Well, you're gonna see our team colors on display. That's all you're gonna get out of the Kremlin right now.

Steinberg: Approve, approve, approve. And please, retire that burgundy-on-burgundy stuff.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 6, 2010; 2:25 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ryan Zimmerman's Geico commercials
Next: The Silver Elvis Wig: a brief history

Comments

Gold Jerry, gold!

Posted by: justicio | May 6, 2010 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Best news EVER!

Between the Caps uniform switch, the almost-certainly-coming Wizards uniforms switch, the improved Nationals road uniforms and now this, it's been a great stretch for D.C. sports fashion.

Posted by: Tank2 | May 6, 2010 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Go back to the old color scheme, but move forward with the name change.

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 6, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

If the pants do change, how long will it take before some crazy fans start calling for gold on gold unis.

Posted by: Predator48 | May 6, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

i'm calling gold jerseys and gold pants as alternates. no change in the style of the jersey just making them gold like the broncos have with orange and the giants have with red.

Posted by: MondoTE11 | May 6, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Predator48 | May 6, 2010 2:59 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MondoTE11 | May 6, 2010 3:01 PM | Report abuse

LOL, not long I guess. Not sure how this is going to look considering the new jersey color is more on the red side than the older burgundy. I'm not really liking the pants either, they're gonna look like some rustic ronald mcdonalds out there or some shi

Posted by: Bigfoot_has_a_posse | May 6, 2010 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I liek it!

Posted by: Hattrik | May 6, 2010 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corvis777 | May 6, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

"Great! Now we just need to find someone who can jump over a Vikings defender like the guy in the picture."

Yeah really.

That dude is skying!

A big thumbs up on the gold pants!

- Ray

Posted by: rmcazz | May 6, 2010 4:18 PM | Report abuse

That "guy" jumping over the Minnesota Viking is Larry Brown. If only we had another running back like Larry Brown instead of crybaby Clinton Tortoise.

Posted by: wthaljr | May 6, 2010 4:24 PM | Report abuse

So ugly.....So ugly

Posted by: Bious | May 6, 2010 4:25 PM | Report abuse

You're ugly! Retro is "IN" and so is my vote!!!

Posted by: BurgwithaU | May 6, 2010 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Big thumbs up for the '70s Over The Hill Gang unis. Now if we can just find enough equivalently talented players to wear them.

Posted by: acoberst1 | May 6, 2010 4:33 PM | Report abuse

That Viking getting hurdled must be DeAngelo Hall's father trying to make a tackle.

Gold pants are AWESOME.

Only one more Redskin brass that needs to be fired and the transition to a real organization will be complete...his name rhymes with Mary Nichael.

Posted by: Section104 | May 6, 2010 4:35 PM | Report abuse

Ugly. Personally, my favorite is burgundy on burgundy. It's intimidating.

But if Skins go gold, I hope it channels the spirit and winning ways of the Over the Hill Gang that fashioned the gold.

Posted by: Keliza64 | May 6, 2010 4:50 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Corvis777 | May 6, 2010 4:11 PM | Report abuse

That guy is Larry Brown, Redskin great! You idiot.

Posted by: leo25 | May 6, 2010 5:17 PM | Report abuse

I wish they'd be more concerned with things like winning a division game.

Or keeping division games close at home.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | May 6, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Yes! Burgundy jersey's, gold pants. Best news I've heard all day. Now if Snyder can keep all the gratuitous logos and striping off, they'll finally have a football uniform again. It's been a long wait.

Posted by: Overtime58 | May 6, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Guess Danny-boy has a new marketing deal with Ca$h 4 Gold to push.

Posted by: vicguru | May 6, 2010 5:28 PM | Report abuse

I wish they'd be more concerned with things like winning a division game.

Or keeping division games close at home.

Posted by: Scoonie97 | May 6, 2010 5:18 PM | Report abuse

-Trading for a better than average QB that *gasp* came from a division rival

-Drafting an offensive lineman with the 4th pick instead of the typical safety

-Bringing in capable competition for Portis instead of counting on useless Ladell Betts to be the backup

-Picking up additional picks during this year's draft

All of this tells me they are working towards trying to win. Last time I checked, Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are 0-0 working together. I'm not saying everything above makes them a winner, but it's the best direction this organization has had in years.

Posted by: RobInVaBeach | May 6, 2010 6:00 PM | Report abuse

i like the uniforms we wore during old ball coach's stop here. the arrow and feather helmet looked sharp. that was a nice throw back look.

Posted by: goodtogo28 | May 6, 2010 6:03 PM | Report abuse

I started watching when they had a big R on the side of the helmet! Lets give that a try!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | May 6, 2010 6:12 PM | Report abuse

Wouldn't mind gold pants from back in the day, but please don't bring back, "The Over the Hill Gang" from back then too. I mean some of those guys have to be like 80 years old now.....LOL!

Posted by: PublicEnemy1 | May 6, 2010 6:28 PM | Report abuse

That would be great. Even better would be to use the classic arrow helmet used prior to Lombardi. Now if we can only get some exciting games against the NFL and duplicate some great wins like Kilmer bellying the ball over the goal line against the Cowboys back in the 70's (1975 I think). Glad to hear they want to restore some legacy to the team.

Posted by: bfjam | May 6, 2010 6:50 PM | Report abuse

Nate in the PDX approves.

Posted by: Chia_Pet | May 6, 2010 8:35 PM | Report abuse

Hooray!

Look, I know that the Redskins have at least 50 things more important to worry about than their uniform's color-scheme, but -- for the first time in... oh... say 11 years or so -- it sounds like the fans wants, and the team's traditions, are being given some consideration by the organization.

While none of this would be as exciting as the team signing a couple of starting offensive linemen, I think it shows an understanding that the Washington Redskins have strayed from a way of doing business and a set of values that had served them very well for over half a century before the current administration took over.

It is not nearly enough. But it is the first encouraging sign I have seen in longer than I can remember. If this is an indication of a deeper re-dedication to those lost values and practices, then I believe, finally, that there may be hope for the future.

Kevin Olson
Manassas, VA

Posted by: noslok | May 6, 2010 8:43 PM | Report abuse

i like the Burgundy on Burgundy look

Posted by: BMACattack | May 6, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

I love the idea of the new uniforms !
Gold Pants All The Way

Posted by: OG_Barno | May 6, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

YES!!! I hope they adjust the stripes accordingly as well. I was never a fan of the white pants. Burgundy and gold!

Posted by: corky1031 | May 6, 2010 10:10 PM | Report abuse

We won our Super Bowls in burgundy pants and white jerseys. That will forever be the classic look to me.

Posted by: DocHolliday1906 | May 6, 2010 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I love the idea of the new uniforms !
Gold Pants All The Way

Posted by: OG_Barno | May 6, 2010 9:09 PM | Report abuse

Hey Poopy_McPoop, how you been buddy? I see you're still up to your old of ways of impersonating people you've lost debates with.

Posted by: Barno1 | May 6, 2010 11:12 PM | Report abuse

WHO GIVES A F.U.C.K. This is a football team, not a fashion show. Please shut up about the uniforms. Czaban too!

Posted by: jksesq1 | May 7, 2010 12:18 AM | Report abuse

Love it !! Burgundy & Gold ..awesome!

Posted by: JCB9 | May 7, 2010 8:18 AM | Report abuse

In case you weren't paying attention last season, the Skins' biggest problem isn't the uniforms, it's the guys inside of them. How about working on that first?

Posted by: randysbailin | May 7, 2010 9:26 AM | Report abuse

Even as a Ravens fan I approve of the change. But then I also think the Broncos should wear throwbacks with the crazy socks every game.

Posted by: M__N | May 7, 2010 9:47 AM | Report abuse

Gold on Gold baby! Soon our O line will be like a line of security at Fort Knox! Yeah, I'm kidding!

Posted by: richs91 | May 7, 2010 1:16 PM | Report abuse

LOVE to see the return of the gold pants. I never liked the Burgundy and White look, but I did learn to tolerate it when Joe Gibbs was winning Super Bowls.

Posted by: SkinsfaninNebraska | May 7, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse

'Skins should use violet on pink and take that indian face off the helmet and replce it with a piece of pie.

mmmmhhhhhmmhmhm. . . . pieeeee. . . . . .

Posted by: vmrg1974 | May 7, 2010 5:36 PM | Report abuse

I would love to see the late 50s early 60s jerseys again with the dark burgundy helmets with the feather running down the top center of it like a stripe. The jersey had the dark burgundy color with a white "USC" stripe and white pants with a thin dark burgundy stripe down the side. Nice, simple, and intimidating. I think those are the best jerseys by far the Redskins have ever worn.

Posted by: rpyalpt78 | May 8, 2010 3:49 PM | Report abuse