Rod Woodson nicknames Haynesworth "Big Baby"

The media crowd is running pretty close to 100 percent against Albert Haynesworth, and NFL Network analysts Rod Woodson and Solomon Wilcots didn't change that ratio much when they discussed the big defensive lineman this week.

"I think he has a new nickname: Albert 'Big Baby' Haynesworth," Woodson said. "Listen, this guy's made so much money....Remember, at the end of the day, it's about the team, it's not all about you, Albert. And I think, listening to his comments, it's all about him, what are my stats, what am I gonna do. He only had four sacks this past year, so maybe he should give some of that money back, because he didn't live up to his end of the bargain."

"Don't take the money then," Wilcots agreed. "If you don't take the money, they can move him over to another team. To whom much is given, much is required. He's already earned millions of dollars....The money didn't change. The scheme changed, [but] the money stayed the same. He's taken the money, now you've got to put in the work. And let's say this, the Redskins, they can expect him to show up for work after writing that check."

Woodson also suggested more than once that Haynesworth's concerns about the scheme are overblown, and that he would get to do plenty of havoc wreaking even in a 3-4.

"First and second down, he might be in a zero [technique], that's right over the center," Woodson said. "He might be shaded to one side or other of the center. But on third down, he could move to the end. He hasn't given this team a chance and he hasn't given the scheme a chance."

"Can I just say this?" Wilcots requested. "Go back and play the soundbites at his press conference when he signed his contract. He said, 'I'm here to do whatever the Redskins need me to do to win.' Now they need him to play a zero technique, and he's kind of changing his game a little bit. But he did cash the check."

Look, the money thing is obviously a strong current in this river that's running against Haynesworth. But Wilcots's point is an interesting one, so I went back and checked. Here's what Haynesworth said, according to a transcript:

"After talking to the coaches, I didn't talk about any money, I was talking to the coaches and seeing ˜How are you going to use me?' Regardless of the money, I wanted to see how they were going to use me, so I wouldn't just go someplace and be another guy. I wanted to be that same player, that dominant guy, and if you're going to use me that way, that's where I want to go....

"If you look at my game, I'm a player that goes straight forward. I'm a disruptive player, I take on the double-team, I free up other guys, and that's what I want to play like. I want to be able to attack my guy, make plays, and everybody to make plays off me. So that's what I want to do. I want to do the same thing I did in Tennessee, but now I'm surrounded by a star-studded cast in my defense here. So I'm just excited, cause it's gonna be fun and I think we're gonna win a lot of games. I'm not putting pressure on us, but that's what I think....

"With the contract it's gonna be all on me. My job is, if you don't see me being really as productive, I'm gonna probably be drawing double-teams and triple-teams and it's gonna be freeing up our other guys to make plays. So to kind of judge how I'm doing, you can just see how we're doing as a team and how we're performing as far as a defense....

All I really can do is just bring me and who I am, and go out there and play ball and make plays and help my teammates make plays. You know, what I had in Tennessee was great -- seven years, we had a lot of fun, I learned a lot of stuff, good and bad. Here I'm just gonna be myself and we're gonna go out there and play ball like we've been playing."

So that's at least part of what he said. Either way, Haynesworth's camp is sure losing this PR war.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 21, 2010; 5:33 PM ET
Categories:  Media , Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Mark Lerner got a black eye
Next: Elvis Wigs and Galifianakis at Nats Park

Comments

This just in: Haynesworth just named Redskins' Defensive Coordinator!

Posted by: iubiquity | May 21, 2010 5:57 PM | Report abuse

all albert has to do is give the money back and im sure the redskins will sent him packing hes a good football player but a sorry excuse for a team mate and besides how many times have we seen td's scored on us through alberts hole while he was huffing and puffing out of breath on the sidelines.

Posted by: ltpeach2 | May 21, 2010 6:40 PM | Report abuse

Woodson was close with the new name but off by a couple of adjectives, it should be "Big Fat Whiney Baby". Get real and get over it Albert,everything he said in his "mo money" press conference is the polar opposite of what he is now doing. Maybe he is suffering from post concussion syndrome and has simply lost his damn mind. The Redskins and Shanny should make this prima donna "boogie 'til he pukes" come required mini camp. He is quickly losing his team mates and if they could get anything out of his sorry a$$ they should take it. If he comes into mini camp and works, then fine but what he has done so far is act like a petulant child,all be it one with 40 million in the bank. If he doesn't wake up and start being a team player I think young Dan-O should set a precedent and sue him for impersonating an NFL lineman,and failure to fulfill his contract requirements. I know he hasn't done that yet (at least you couldn't prove it yet) but let him lag butt around in mini and training camp, then lower the boom. what a waste of talent, all of that I've learned,I've matured,I'm not the same guy that kicked a man in the head while he lie on the ground was so far a CROCK!.Straighten Fat Albert or become a cartoon character.

Posted by: mfowler1 | May 21, 2010 7:11 PM | Report abuse

WASHINGTON REDSKIN(?) writer Dan Steinberg. Why is the media almost 100 percent against Albert Haynesworth? Lets guess the REASONS. Several high profile players are doing the same thing and NONE of them are important to most sportsfans no matter how many times you hammer away.
Hey, its really fun not to be in a little world.

Posted by: DMcCall2 | May 21, 2010 7:18 PM | Report abuse

DMcCall2 you must be from the haynesworth posy lol none of the other so called high profile players ever made 40 mill in there first year with a team ever and then wants to cry about it and not show up for work what a sorry excuse for a person @ team mate.

Posted by: ltpeach2 | May 21, 2010 7:49 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone give a F what Rod Woodson thinks about anything on this planet????? Let it play out. Guys have done this before. With AH everyone is mad because of the $$...but many guys have done this over the years. Here's the deal: He comes in, in shape. Haslett uses him the way he should be used. He's disruptive...makes plays...and opens up plays for others because he's a force. And all the naysayers shut up and start cheering for him and act like they were on his side all along. Hail Skins!

Posted by: NYskinsfan2 | May 21, 2010 7:59 PM | Report abuse

and i guess loseing the respect of most of your team mates will have no effect on the team just because your a force on the football field i don't buy it !!!

Posted by: ltpeach2 | May 21, 2010 8:25 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NYskinsfan2 |
Yea, what does a 11 time pro-bowl, Hall of Famer that went to 3 SB's know? How about reading your own post before you hit submit!

Posted by: Mark_Edwin | May 21, 2010 8:27 PM | Report abuse

Come on in Mr.Big Al. Us true Redskin fans want the team to win with you! If I had the chance to jump on that money I would do it also! F-the naysayers. I say come on home bro and play your heart out!

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet | May 21, 2010 8:52 PM | Report abuse

@NYskinsfan2 = BOYCOTT $NYDER OR AND I'LL AWAKEN FROM MY DREAM!!!!

Posted by: hessone | May 21, 2010 10:03 PM | Report abuse

Look, the fault lies with the morons that made this deal in the first place. We're all just gonna have to suck it up and hope that this fat, immature narcissist comes to camp in some semblance of shape.

Posted by: bg1fan | May 21, 2010 10:06 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: bg1fan | May 21, 2010 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: vexed50verizonnet
yeah anyone would jump on the money however 99.99% of people would show up for work and support your team and team mates AH cares about one person himself and F--- everyone else.hes one of the best lineman ever but if he can't come in and get with the program scew him and the horse he rode in on HTTR!!!

Posted by: ltpeach2 | May 21, 2010 10:19 PM | Report abuse

This story has gotten more overworked than a port-a-potty at a chili cookoff.

Posted by: randysbailin | May 21, 2010 11:22 PM | Report abuse

i like woodson, but who cares what HE thinks? i would PREFER that haynesworth BE in camp for the voluntary practices, but let's be real: people like you and i don't ALWAYS go to the company christmas party. or picnic or whatever. IF there is company-sponsored training involved, the company PAYS my salary AND my travel expenses. correct? so what's all the fuss about. the guy will either win a position or not. now IF the coach penalizes his playing time when he (haynesworth) is the best player at his position, then something is wrong. the contract does not include voluntary practices. TRUE, coming creates a better team personality, but... put it in the contract or shut up and deal.

Posted by: dcjazzman | May 21, 2010 11:44 PM | Report abuse

NYskinsfan2 - Fat Baby Albert had his chance last year to do what you are talking about. The team and fans feel he did not do it. He was fat, lazy, hurt, tired, and ineffective. Now he has another chance and he does not want to come in and learn the system. He wants to pout, take the money and not play here at all as a Redskin. It is obvious with the way he is alienating himself with everyone and everything to do with Washington. Even national reporters notice it and comment on it. His fat ass should be in camp trying to make up for the disgraceful performance he showed last year.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | May 22, 2010 12:12 AM | Report abuse

dcjazzman - Are you stupid, do you know that you cant put it in the contract? The union has rules. You defend this loser. When you pay the money you expect a person to be a professional. He played in the 4-3 last year, did he play like a pro bowler? When you're paid that kind of money you need to at least give effort. He was the worst big name DT we have ever had. He wasn't as good as Bill Brundidge, Dave Butz, Diron Talbert,Darrell Grant. He sucked and so does anyone who is making excuses for his slack ass. Now with a new coach and staff he is still sitting on his fat ass and ruining team plans for a successful season. Maybe you would do the same as him, thats your choice, I dont think anyone would root for you either.

Posted by: 1bmffwb | May 22, 2010 12:22 AM | Report abuse

KABOOM!!!!! You're bust Albert Buttersworth!!!

Caught you on the record red handed. There's not denying it now.

Posted by: ajb1094 | May 22, 2010 12:43 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth A'intworth a damn! Wish someone would give me $32 MILLION to be an ass-ole. Can you imagine being a "boss" and having an employee like this? A cocktail waitress in Vegas won $35 mil on Megabucks a while back. A week later, got hit by a drunk-driver, she a para-palegic. Think about A'intsworth......

Posted by: aginsburg | May 22, 2010 1:14 AM | Report abuse

I'm not on Big Baby's side, but the transcript does NOT match Wilcots' version of it. Haynesworth said he based his decision where to play on how the team there would use him, and the Redskins are changing their scheme now. We all agree, he should be professional and play where and how his coach tells him. But he didn't promise what Wilcots says he did.

Posted by: pundito | May 22, 2010 3:53 AM | Report abuse

According to Haynesworth's transcripts, the Redskins are wrong. All he talked about was how he would be used, and the skins are changing that. With that said he should have still showed his face. He chose to show his displeasure by not showing up for VOLUNTARY events and HE HAS EVERY RIGHT TO DO SO. Who can say that he won't come in a play well this season?

Readers are as fickle as redskin fans. They take anything the media writes for gospel most of time, and the media has noticeably tried to turn people against Haynesworth, and get him run out of town if they could.

I'm not a fan of his but he REALLY hasn't done anything wrong. I'll wait to judge him after seeing what he brings on the field this time around.

Posted by: keedrow | May 22, 2010 6:44 AM | Report abuse

I bet Stompworth comes in for mandatory stuff and works hard at first and the coach's praise him. Then he'll play little pre-season with the same lame excuse, we don't want him hurt. He'll then prove his worth by doing exactly as he did last year. NOTHING, as far as the money he's paid. $nyder was and still is an idiot for paying out the ying-yang every year for overrated and/or old players. Gotta make that big offseason slash, like signing McNabb.

BOYCOTT $NYDER AND HIS EVIL EMPIRE!!!

Posted by: hessone | May 22, 2010 7:47 AM | Report abuse

Are there any writers for the WAPO that can write a story about the Redskins without mentioning Haynesworth? Give it a rest until the mandatory work. If he doesn't show up then, you have a real story.

Posted by: 4merskinsfan | May 22, 2010 7:58 AM | Report abuse

When BIG BABY shows up to the mandatory mini..it will be interesting to see how he handles things. There should be a lot of pressure on him because of how the coaches, players and fans feel about his no show prior to the required mini. I wonder if he will read a paper or turn on a TV or radio while here? I seriously doubt any one player will be raked over the coals like he will be during the time he is here.

Also..everyone will see whether he is in shape or not! When Edgerin James was with the Colts..he did the same thing..trained on his own..but he was sure productive during the season. SO WILL BIG BABY BE READY TO STEP IN AND CAUSE HAVOC TO ANOTHER TEAM? HE HAS ALREADY MANAGED TO WRECK HAVOC ON HIS TEAM!

NOTE TO FAT ALBERT...GIVE BACK MOST OF THE MONEY..AND THEY WILL TRADE YOU.

Posted by: blazerguy234 | May 22, 2010 8:27 AM | Report abuse

Look, we know he can't play every down. Just send him in on 3rd down. Fresh legs, big dude=lots of disruption. Worst money ever spent but maybe the best way to earn a little back.

Posted by: richs91 | May 22, 2010 9:01 AM | Report abuse

@4merskinsfan

Some folks like the Stompworth story. Besides, there's nothing else out there.

Posted by: hessone | May 22, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Haynesworth... Where to start. Well I think we can all agree Skins should have never signed this guy. All the obvious warning signs were there. Should have signed Chris Canty. But we didn't. So we are stuck. For now.

Some of you Haynesworth supporters can spout off all you want about how he made his decision based on how the team would use him when he signed. Well guess what. Things change in the NFL. And even a dimwitted fat cat like Haynesworth knows that. So sorry, can't play that card. When you sign a big contract spread out over years, there is a good chance that the people you initially talked to about playing your position might not be there in a couple of years.

So, now on to the next issue. Voluntary workouts and mini camps. No Haynesworth isn't required to show. But don't think for a moment that his current posturing is having a negative affect on this team. All the vets are there. They are there, because they care, and because they are embarrassed at the outcome of a 4-12 season. It's called PRIDE. Something Haynesworth has yet to figure out. This game has always been about the old adage of circle the wagons, and playing as a team. That's what makes Pittsburgh, NE, and the Colts great. It's what made the Skins, Steelers, 49er's, Cowboys, & packers great in the past. That part of the game hasn't changed. Never will. The me people? Who many rings do they go around sporting in general. Ask TO. Ask Chad Johnson. Teamwork. Corny, but it does matter. You all want another Lombardi trophy here? Then quit sticking up for the me people because they have the POTENTIAL to be disruptive.

Last point. You want to question what a guy like Rod Woodson Thinks of this? HOF player and voted one the greatest players in the history of the NFL? Sorry, I guarantee most players and NFL people give his comments serious credence.

If we want the Skins to matter in the NFL again, we first have to stop signing players like this, and more importantly accepting their me first attitude. It's not OK!

Posted by: TXSkinFan | May 22, 2010 11:44 AM | Report abuse

@TXSkinFan

Well said and I totally agree with every word you wrote.

Posted by: hessone | May 22, 2010 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Poor choice of transcript...transcript backs up big Al...not Woodson.

Irrelavant,new coach,new system...play or pay,Big Al.

Posted by: petebowling1 | May 22, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm taking a "wait and see" approach on Haynesworth with understanding that he's using his personal trainer to get in shape. We'll see how that goes. When he shows up in training camp, all eyes will be on him. Enough said.

Posted by: RedCherokee | May 22, 2010 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Rod Woodson was an overrated punk his entire career. He has nothing to say. If this OTA is voluntary, Big Al has no obligation to be there, end of story. Doesn't seem to bother his teammates, only the hillbillies on this blog. Find a story to cover, Steinberg..

Posted by: markappraiser1 | May 22, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: markappraiser1 | May 22, 2010 9:07 PM | Report abuse

albert is the new 'Homme the clown'

Posted by: kdlam | May 23, 2010 12:21 PM | Report abuse

"Rod Woodson was an overrated punk his entire career."

Your honor, for a position in the top ten inane posts in Bog history, I rest my case.

Posted by: capsfan77 | May 23, 2010 9:42 PM | Report abuse