Ryan Zimmerman plays the Didgeridoo

It sort of goes without saying that Ryan Zimmerman is the least quirky star athlete in D.C. Long ago, he started saying "I've got nothing for you" if I would even try to approach him.

Turns out, though, all you had to do was offer him a commercial spot with American Service Center/Mercedes-Benz of Alexandria, and the quirks come spilling out like melted cheese when you poke the outside of a papusa. You're simply gonna have to listen to these three spots that he recently recorded. Yes, this is really him talking. It will be hard for me to be more shocked by anything in D.C. sports this week.

Also, you could rightly charge me with providing a never-ending stream of free ad space for American Service Center/Mercedes-Benz of Alexandria, but they're just about the only local company that's even trying to make comical local ads anymore. That's the same outfit behind Bruce Boudreau's garden salad.

These will start airing on D.C. radio at the end of the month.

By Dan Steinberg  |  May 4, 2010; 11:32 AM ET
Categories:  Caps , Nats
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Ovechkin's Caps and Gretzky's Oilers
Next: About the Caps fan base

Comments

These made me literally laugh out loud.

Pip pip cheerio!

Posted by: ogdennash | May 4, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Wow. makes you wonder what they could do with, say, Jeff Schultz....

Posted by: jerseygirl15 | May 4, 2010 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Thank you thank you THANK YOU for posting those. I was having a seriously bad day, and this...may have turned it around.

Posted by: darastar | May 4, 2010 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Hi my name is "Joe Jacoby" <--- insert "Ryan Zimmerman" and you to can own a big screen TV.

Posted by: periculum | May 4, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Well done, old chap! I mean, atta boy!

He also has a spot with the Geico Caveman:

Posted by: natsfan1a1 | May 4, 2010 12:53 PM | Report abuse

Bring on "Tony Plush" and his sidekick "HeeSop"

Posted by: periculum | May 4, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

See, you win a Gold Glove, Silver Slugger and ESPN Web Gem Champ, and you get endorsements.....and a lot of teasing from teammates, family and friends.

Can anyone tell me what a Didgeridoo.

Posted by: dmacman88 | May 4, 2010 1:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm hoping to get Ryan to autograph my didgeridoo at the next Nats event - and I'm not talking about reselling on eBay; this one goes on the trophy shelf.

Posted by: pgcorky | May 4, 2010 2:14 PM | Report abuse

ACHTUNG ZIM! Der Benz is German, NOT British!

Posted by: bjvon58 | May 4, 2010 2:32 PM | Report abuse

dmacman88---

A Didgeridoo is a long hollow tube used as an instrument by the aboriginese of Australia. It may be used elsewhere, but this is what I'm most familiar with. Any movie, show, or commercial about Australia (think all of those outback steakhouse commercials) always have it featured in the background. You blow into the hollow tube and it makes a low "waooowwawaooo" sound. That's about best I can describe it!

Posted by: sordidvox | May 4, 2010 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Do you blow into a didgeridoo? I thought you swung it around.

Still very funny. Bravo, Ryan. It's great to see these guys having so much fun.

Posted by: gburgKB | May 5, 2010 9:34 AM | Report abuse

Do you blow into a didgeridoo? I thought you swung it around.

Still very funny. Bravo, Ryan. It's great to see these guys having so much fun.

Posted by: gburgKB | May 5, 2010 9:36 AM | Report abuse

And that's how you rock a didgeridoo!

Posted by: MrDumberton | May 5, 2010 11:47 AM | Report abuse

You blow into a didgeradoo. You swing a bullroarer.

Posted by: AtomicOvermind | May 5, 2010 12:55 PM | Report abuse

First of all, these are hilarious, and I'm suprised at how well Zim did in them.

However, I nerdishly want to point out a small flaw. Didgeridoo players don't have to pause to take huge breaths. They use circular breathing to maintain a continuous droning sound.

Here's a good and nerdy example:

Posted by: JohninMpls | May 6, 2010 2:38 PM | Report abuse

Wow! That was BRILLIANT! (Hope I don't sound too British there. I'm from NC, just like Ryan.)

JiM, I think the hyper-breathing in the digeridoo spot was the whole joke. I didn't start guffawing until Zim took his second gasp or so.

Posted by: shepdave2003 | May 6, 2010 6:15 PM | Report abuse